Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/26/2011 6:26:08 AM EDT
I bought a 2010 Tundra 4.6 V8 and my 25K maintenance just ran out.  I have now discovered that you have to have some special wrench to change the oil filter.  I'm pissed.  I realize that the majority of folks now days just take their vehicles in to the dealers for an oil change, but I ain't one of them and I like doing the deed myself.  So my buddy who sales Dodges says that Chrystler and Dodge are doing the same thing.  My BIL tells me it is worse at GM.  So, are all the car companies moving in this direction?  If not, which ones are not.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy the wrench?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Special wrench like a canister filter nut or special wrench like a one off filter wrench?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My 08 silverado doesn't require a special wrench.  When did this start with gm?

ETA

Remove the skid plate to change the oil?    What a pain!
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]

A crescent wrench is a special tool now?
65mm 14 flute oil filter wrench is what he specified.

Looks like the one I got from Fleet Farm to me

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy the tools you need once, or pay the dealer over and over again. Hmmm.

Kinda seems like a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Toyota is the bestest EVAR!!!!!!!

Who the fuck thought of that one?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not really a "special wrench" and you can get shitty ones at Oreillys or Advanced Auto.

I have 3 of them, the first two I bought worked byut aren't very good. I just bought a solid cast aluminum one at tootopia for ~$15 that's pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Assuming its "normally" threaded could you drive a screwdriver through it and tap it off with a hammer?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The stupid engineer who never gave a thought about the fact the engine was actually going to be used in a vehicle. "Look Akashi, I can just take it off while the engine is sitting on this engine stand in the middle of the room very easily, I don't see why there are complaints, stupid Americans."

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ETA

It is pretty stupid that they put a remote oil filter under a skidplate for protection.

I mean, skidplates should just be there to look cool.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#14]
An oil filter wrench is no more special than any other tool you need to remove an oil filter. Are you one of those guys that jams a screwdriver through the filter to remove it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA

It is pretty stupid that they put a remote oil filter under a skidplate for protection.

On mine it is just behind and much higher than the skid plate.  I'd have to be doing something extremely retarded to get something to hit it.  Which is possible ..   but unlikely.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ETA

So, how do you loosen and tighten your oil filter?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Strap wrench.  I wouldn't consider that a special tool at all.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#18]
If that is a special tool you guys should work on more stuff. Ford has a wrench that has a sole purpose of removing bolts from the ignition module of one model of car.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#19]

When it comes to easy DIY oil changes, Toyota knocked it out of the park with the current crop of Tacoma.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#20]
This is the best one I've found:  

http://www.tooltopia.com/assenmacher-toy-640.aspx

Shipping was quick etc...

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
An oil filter wrench is no more special than any other tool you need to remove an oil filter. Are you one of those guys that jams a screwdriver through the filter to remove it?

No, I'm not.  When looking for info online on changing the filter I found a Toyota site when I googled changing the oil filter that said a special tool was needed to accomplish the change.  I said fuck it since I was pressed for time and took it to the dealer a couple days later.  I was then talking to a bud and my BIL as previously mentioned on Thanksgiving Day.  My bud said that Dodge had made changing the oil in their vehicles harder than it used to be and my BIL said the same thing about GM.  I posted this thread to get the real scoop since GD knows all.  Again, thanks to snoop for that link.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA

At least you get to do it on a truck. You should try it on a GTO...

15lbs of solid whack-you-in-the-forehead steel. It's terrible.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When it comes to easy DIY oil changes, Toyota knocked it out of the park with the current crop of Tacoma.

My brother has an '08 and I assumed the Tundras would be as easy.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#24]
My 2010 Tundra 5.7 is the biggest pain in the ass to change the oil. It almost takes me a frigging hour to do it.

Other than that I love the truck.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#25]
my tacoma has a skid plate, and the oil filter is located on top of the engine. no reason they couldnt have done that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

I do mine by hand, they even made a nice removable plate that just turns and pops off. I have EXTRA skid plates under my truck and it's still not an issue. I will say that my old 72 Land Cruiser had the easiest oil filter to change ever. Open hood, it was mounted remotely right by the master cylinder assy. One hint however, make a standoff mount for the line if you put headers on, the lines don't hold up well to touching the header. The replacements were braided Areoquip SS, it's nice to have a Dad that was an engineer there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#27]
You don't use a strap wrench to loosen it? I guess I need to flog the dragon more often. I can't get mine loose by hand.

I think the 4Runner has the easiest oil change. Filter on top of the engine and it has a catch pan with a removable rubber plug to release the oil into a container. Pretty damn slick.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I'm not.  When looking for info online on changing the filter I found a Toyota site when I googled changing the oil filter that said a special tool was needed to accomplish the change.  I said fuck it since I was pressed for time and took it to the dealer a couple days later.  I was then talking to a bud and my BIL as previously mentioned on Thanksgiving Day.  My bud said that Dodge had made changing the oil in their vehicles harder than it used to be and my BIL said the same thing about GM.  I posted this thread to get the real scoop since GD knows all.  Again, thanks to snoop for that link.

So this is all a bunch of whining about a rumor of a rumor?

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#29]
If you don't want buy the tool, you could just use a K&N oil filter. It has an ordinary hex nut welded to the top - can be loosened with any 1" socket or wrench.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like PITA.

Fumoto valve with canister oil filter located on top of engine = don't even get dirty, 14qt oil change in 10 mins.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#31]
If'n it were me, I'd stick my head under the truck and look at it, if I didn't have to pull skid plates to get to it. I might also cruise by the local autoparts store of my choice (or dealer), find the filter I need, pull it outta the box and look at it to see if I really needed a special tool or not.

Then again, I don't seem to be the average arfcommer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#32]
It's the same as my FJ.

Buy a factory filter cartridge and some 3/8 hose.

With a 3/8 socket wrench, remove the silver nut.

Stick 3/8 hose on plastic piece in the box with oil filter.  Stick in where you just removed silver nut.  It will drain the most of the oil out for you.

Once it's done,  Use $6 64mm tool from any autoparts store Remove the filter housing.  Remove filter and replace with new one.

Replace plastic oil filter housing.

Replace silver nut.

Drain rest of oil from the oil pain.

It's Cake..

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/126127-2011-oil-change.html

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Assuming its "normally" threaded could you drive a screwdriver through it and tap it off with a hammer?

This.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 08 silverado doesn't require a special wrench. When did this start with gm?

ETA

Remove the skid plate to change the oil? What a pain!

Strap wrench. I wouldn't consider that a special tool at all.

i spin mine off by hand. if you follow the instructions for putting it on, you wont need a tool to get it off.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I bought a 2010 Tundra 4.6 V8 and my 25K maintenance just ran out.  I have now discovered that you have to have some special wrench to change the oil filter.  I'm pissed.  I realize that the majority of folks now days just take their vehicles in to the dealers for an oil change, but I ain't one of them and I like doing the deed myself.  So my buddy who sales Dodges says that Chrystler and Dodge are doing the same thing.  My BIL tells me it is worse at GM.  So, are all the car companies moving in this direction?  If not, which ones are not.

I suggest you get your SO to do it, I bet she gets it done

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The UAW appreciates your campaign contribution...
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 08 silverado doesn't require a special wrench. When did this start with gm?

ETA

Remove the skid plate to change the oil? What a pain!

Strap wrench. I wouldn't consider that a special tool at all.

i spin mine off by hand. if you follow the instructions for putting it on, you wont need a tool to get it off.

On by hand, off by hand.

No reason to over-tighten them.
i do have an adapter that grabs the  top of the filter and grabs up as you apply torque to unscrew the filter.

it often sees use the first time on a new car, but hardly ever after that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#39]
This is what I use.The cheap shit at the local AP Store will not fit tight enough.

EZ to use and EZ to change...Do it right.

http://www.asttool.com/detail_page.php?from_search=y&tool_number=TOY%20640&total=9&offset=0&stype=bymanf&manf=Toyota%20/%20Lexus&category=Oil%20Change%20Products
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The UAW, ACORN etc.. appreciates your campaign contribution...
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I got this Filter wrench

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-TOY-640/dp/B0015PK3AG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I303NACP6D1N8A&colid=2RLCZ06ZUWWV1

I use Mobil 0/20 in winter and 5/20 in summer

I took my plasma cutter and cut a square out of my skid pan, I welded hinges on it so I just open a door to get to the filter, no more removing whole skidpan

the cartridge filter that toyota uses now is a very good filter alot better than a spin on

it also helps that I have 35s and a small lift, gives me more room

and I change my oil at 5000 mile intervals
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The UAW appreciates your campaign contribution...
Don't say anything Negative about Toyota! Anything but American Corporations!  The Problem is that ALL! Vehicle Manufacturer's have Defects! But then some People have Agendas! Just Like the Shithead Liberals in this Country! Both Sides with the Agendas! While the Country goes into the Crapper!

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Not to 'hijack' this thread but try and change the oil and filter on a newer turbo mini cooper!!!!!!!  We do oil chages at our shop for $40.00 and we have people that have vehicles that are a real PITA that gladly pay us to change the oil/filter.  We have one customer that does most of his own oil/filter changes but not on his wives newer vehicle.
I also agree that if the ones the design these vehicels ever had to actually work on them, the design would be a lot different.
I change all of my own oil/filter but we have all cummins diesel engines with a lot of room.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe I could move to NJ and let the state take care of it for me since they take care of everything else there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#46]
after researching my oil change in my 2007 Tundra Crewmax I made the decision to say screw that!!!!!!

i pay a local shop $14 and I supply the oil and go to Napa and buy their gold filters.

the guys at the shop whine and moan every time I show up but I hang out there in the shop with them and shoot the crap watching them. I usually flip them a tip just because I know its a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#48]
I've got a 2011 5.7L Tundra.

It's really not that big of a deal. Go to Toyota parts dept. Tell them you need the wrench, should have one for 35-50 bucks.

I do my own oil changes too.

Make sure you get a torque wrench, you'll need it to get the housing and everything back to proper ft/lbs.

Here's a link:

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe I could move to NJ and let the state take care of it for me since they take care of everything else there.

Sorry, they don't change Oil filters here behind Enemy Lines, we have to do it ourselves or go to the nearest mechanic who thinks he knows what he's doing. I can tell you some $29.99 Oil Change Horror Stories

BTW, hang onto the truck, it will get easier.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

ETA

Boy I am glad I don't have one of those. I have always changed my own oil. Always. I would have the dealer do that mess. What a pain!  You could take it to a local oil place and have a 90% chance that they will cross thread your drain plug or take it to the dealer for the $100 oil change special. F toyota.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top