Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/22/2011 11:57:01 PM EDT
Rookie cop stuns guy while riding his bike.  The guy ends up brain dead and later dies.  I'm not going to second guess this cop other than to say that an old man on a bike is hardy a threat and he is not going to get away.  LINK
A 61-year-old Halifax County man died Tuesday, a day after police shocked him with a stun gun while he was riding his bike, family members said.

Scotland Neck Police Chief Joe Williams said they received a call Monday night about a man who fell off of his bicycle and injured himself in the parking lot of the BB&T bank, 1001 Main St. The caller was concerned that the man was drunk.

When Officer John Turner arrived, he saw Roger Anthony pedaling away along 10th Street. He followed Anthony in his patrol car, briefly put on his sirens and lights and yelled out of the window for him to stop, but Anthony continued to ride away, police said.

Williams said Turner then saw Anthony take something out his pocket and put it into his mouth. At that time, Turner got out of the car and yelled for Anthony to stop. When Anthony didn't stop, the officer used a stun gun on him, causing him to fall off of his bike.

Anthony was transported to Pitt County Memorial Hospital, where he was declared brain dead, his sister Gladys Freeman said. He was taken off of life support on Tuesday.

Freeman said her brother was disabled, suffered from seizures and had trouble hearing. She said he was riding his bike home from her house on Sunday night. Anthony lived alone in an independent living community.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Good tasing.  If he was impaired, he could have crashed his bike and hurt himself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Freeman said her brother was disabled, suffered from seizures and had trouble hearing

Not a sufficient excuse to disobey a lawful order.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Freeman said her brother was disabled, suffered from seizures and had trouble hearing

Your shitting me? Correct?

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]
What did he put in his mouth?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What part of 'had trouble hearing'+  did you fail to comprehend?

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
at least the officer went home safely?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pffft...doesn't matter.

A reasonable officer in the same situation would have done the same thing.

A reasonable officer would not assume that every man 61 years of age can't see lights or hear sirens or commands to stop.

~Norinco
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm running a special on Sarcasm Meter Calibration. This week only.

IM me for details.

Don't forget to enter the following code (afrcom members only, please don't disseminate)- NOOB

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Should have used stop-sticks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Should have used stop-sticks.

Now that would have been funny.  But he could have used a pit manuver also.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Was the cop's commands encrypted? OC would have prevented this isolated incident.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
WTF? I can't see how riding a bicycle drunk is an allegation worthy of non-lethal force.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good tasing.  If he was impaired, he could have crashed his bike and hurt himself.

I laughed.

I'm so going to go to Hell...
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WTF? I can't see how riding a bicycle drunk is an allegation worthy of non-lethal force.

Someone may have died, but assuredly an officer's life was saved.  Sometimes it ain't all good, but at least it was a draw for society.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Am I the only one wondering exactly what killed the guy?

Assuming his last tumble off the bike didn't produce severe head trauma, I'm seeing signs of someone who may have already been in medical distress.

In other words, the tasering may have had precisely zero to do with the man's eventual death.

I know this is ARFCOM and it's always the Po-po's fault, but how about applying some basic logic rather than erroneously assigning causality to what sounds like a merely coincidental event?

I'm wondering the same. But let's assume he did not die.

Was the tazer justified? I can't see it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Tasering a guy because he is possibly intoxicated riding a bicycle = Not the brightest move......and now he can see why the hard way.

Sad the man had to die, prayers to the family.  If he has any dependants they are going to collect on this one.  Cop needs to re-evaluate his career choice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Assuming his last tumble off the bike didn't produce severe head trauma, I'm seeing signs of someone who may have already been in medical distress.

In other words, the tasering may have had precisely zero to do with the man's eventual death.

I know this is ARFCOM and it's always the Po-po's fault, but how about applying some basic logic rather than erroneously assigning causality to what sounds like a merely coincidental event?

Other than head trauma, this little nugget from the article may provide another plausible theory:

Williams said Turner then saw Anthony take something out his pocket and put it into his mouth. At that time, Turner got out of the car and yelled for Anthony to stop. When Anthony didn't stop, the officer used a stun gun on him, causing him to fall off of his bike.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to say No.  Only way it would have been justified is if he was wanted for a crime.....i.e.: Lets say he just robbed someone...then GTG.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#22]
These threads always go so well...

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to say No.  Only way it would have been justified is if he was wanted for a crime.....i.e.: Lets say he just robbed someone...then GTG.

how is it not? he was ordered to stop, he didnt. lights and siren were used ect. there is no way for the officer to know the man was hard of hearing or had mental problems. its a shitty situation for all involved.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Society was obviously in danger from this citizen lawfully riding his bike down the road.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:43:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tasering a guy because he is possibly intoxicated riding a bicycle = Not the brightest move......and now he can see why the hard way.

Sad the man had to die, prayers to the family.  If he has any dependants they are going to collect on this one.  Cop needs to re-evaluate his career choice.

Have you seen the video iirc out of FL of the cop chasing a guy on a bike while trying to taser him? He runs over the guy while turning.

No....gotta link?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#26]
We need to get rid of the mentality that it's Ok to hurt someone in order to stop them from possibly hurting themselves.  Tazing someone begcause thay MIGHT be riding a bicycle drunk Only person he could hurt is himself, so I'll taze him so he gets hurt that way he cant hurt himself

Now If you want to stop these kind of actions by police you also have to stop all the Lawyers who would sue the city if the old man did fall off his bike drunk after a cop saw him and didn't do anything.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how is it not? he was ordered to stop, he didnt. lights and siren were used ect. there is no way for the officer to know the man was hard of hearing or had mental problems. its a shitty situation for all involved.

What crime did he commit?  Since when is riding a fucking bicycle a crime?  Even drunk......and unless he, the cop, has esp......how would he know other than what was reported?

We get stupid calls like this all the time on our night shift:

Dispatch:  Report of a male walking down XYZ Ave.
Us:  mmmmmmmmm.......OK......what is he doing that is wrong?  Walking down the shoulder of a road is NOT ILLEGAL!
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't make any sense to zap a guy riding a bicycle on the off chance that he might hurt himself while riding the bicycle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Mah baby grandpa dint do nuffin?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if a man is riding the bike just fine and otherwise hasn't done anything ILLEGAL and didn't respond to verbal or lights and sirens with me behind or beside him i might try speeding up turning around and coming at him from the front BEFORE tasering his ass because he MIGHT be deaf or in this case from the sound of things mentally disabled, and a fall from a bike might kill his ass.

that is logic and common sense not he put something in his mouth im gonna put him down!
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:06:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The part that makes the leo guilty of manslaughter...  

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah the irony.

If the LEO couldn't predict that tazing a man that was riding a bike would result in some kind of fall injury, than he's mentally retarded IMO.  The act was criminal negligence IMO.

*not typically a LEO basher*
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#33]
It's good to see such a danger to society removed from the streets. I applaud this officers discretion and valor.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I wonder what he put in his mouth.

I wonder if they ran some kind of toxicology on him while in the hospital.  I don't presume anything would show up now, as it says he was on life support for a while.

Reckon his history of SEIZURES had something to do with his brain-deadness?

Maybe it was a crack rock?  That might could dead your brain.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I am hard of hearing and this is a concern for me, I have missed at least one question from a LEO because I did not hear him. 'SIR ARE YOU ARMED?"

This reminds me of the incident where a guy had been in an accident, was stunned, concussed and got tazed because he was unable to follow the LEO's instructions.

WTF happened to common sense or good judgement. The LEO did not have to taze the old deaf disabled guy on the bike, he could have pitted him (this is where you use your car to bump the guy and knock him off of his bicycle or motorcycle) or he could have done a felony stop, or he could have driven beside him and used his car door to knock the old deaf guy off of his bike.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Justified use of force. Officer didn't know he was hard of hearing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#37]
In to watch this 'tard fest.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Sad the man had to die, prayers to the family. If he has any dependants they are going to collect on this one. Cop needs to re-evaluate his career choice.

I guess I have to agree with this, barring some massive, unforseen circumstance coming to light later.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#39]
After he tazed the law breaker and fell off his bike, why didn't the officer pepper spray him?  He could have been protesting, just laying on the sidewalk ignoring instructions from the law dawg.  They should put that rook on leave, you can't be on a sidewalk non-violently ignoring the popo.  They needed to control the criminal and the rook failed.

Rook needs to go through the academy again.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe his partially disabled 61 year old body couldn't handle getting zapped. Seems like those things are causing all kinds of problems. Maybe, it's possible that a rookie cop made a mistake. If rook was close enough to taze he could have just pulled him off the bike. Seems a bit excessive to me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#41]
If he could get close enough to tase the old boy,
he could have just grabbed the bike.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am hard of hearing and this is a concern for me, I have missed at least one question from a LEO because I did not hear him. 'SIR ARE YOU ARMED?"

This reminds me of the incident where a guy had been in an accident, was stunned, concussed and got tazed because he was unable to follow the LEO's instructions.

WTF happened to common sense or good judgement. The LEO did not have to taze the old deaf disabled guy on the bike, he could have pitted him (this is where you use your car to bump the guy and knock him off of his bicycle or motorcycle) or he could have done a felony stop, or he could have driven beside him and used his car door to knock the old deaf guy off of his bike.

That is stupid also
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This.

And again, what did he put in his mouth?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's good to see such a danger to society removed from the streets. I applaud this officers discretion and valor.

I'm rollin :)

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The part that makes the leo guilty of manslaughter...    

I should have just continued with the uber Schafstiefel angle.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Ekk $$$$$

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder what he put in his mouth.

I wonder if they ran some kind of toxicology on him while in the hospital.  I don't presume anything would show up now, as it says he was on life support for a while.

Reckon his history of SEIZURES had something to do with his brain-deadness?

Maybe it was a crack rock?  That might could dead your brain.

Maybe it was a tic-tac or a booger. When I was little I knew a kid that would eat ants, maybe this guy was related?

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pffft...doesn't matter.

A reasonable officer in the same situation would have done the same thing.

A reasonable officer would not assume that every man 61 years of age can't see lights or hear sirens or commands to stop.

~Norinco

Wee Todd.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:39:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Your a great comedian or this has to be the dumbest shit I have ever read on this site.

Your ideas of alternate ways to stop this deaf dumb old guy are just as disasterous as tazing.

If your a comedian the mental picture I got from performing a pit maneuver on a cyclist, or just opening  the cruiser door and knocking the old guy off is providing me with laughter that I have not experienced since I was a little girl.  Thanks

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Note to self: no bike riding in Scotland Neck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top