Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to build those power assembies. 567 and 645 cubic inch, respectively (per cylinder X 16).

Long time ago, but I think the redline on the engines was 980RPM. All the Diesel electric powerplant does is spool up a giant alternator that provides electricity to the traction motors in the "trucks". Every wheel on a locomotive has a motor driving it. To slow down the locomotive, the whole roof of the unit is filled with resistor banks that the engineer can choose from to load up the motors and cause magnetic drag.

Funny thing is that today's hybrids are using the same basic technology to save fuel.

GM Electromotive owns the design and patents, and has been using and collecting from them since the 50's.

Sorry for the thread drift, pics are cool and NO, a human being does not want to be anywhere close to one of those suckers on a runaway. The shrapnel hits before the shockwave.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's going to be a lot of bags of milk to repay the home owner.

They're going to try to pay with money that has a picture of a duck on one side, and an old British lady on the other side. Be careful.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys ever see any pics of boiler failure on steam locomotives? Makes that diesel look like baby stuff. Picture the wheels the only thing left standing on the rails.

http://dlw-sussexbranch.com/Images/Waterloo/LRRNWNJ/wt-explosion-1890.JPG

1987?  The Fuck?

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I used to build those power assembies. 567 and 645 cubic inch, respectively (per cylinder X 16).

Long time ago, but I think the redline on the engines was 980RPM. All the Diesel electric powerplant does is spool up a giant alternator that provides electricity to the traction motors in the "trucks". Every wheel on a locomotive has a motor driving it. To slow down the locomotive, the whole roof of the unit is filled with resistor banks that the engineer can choose from to load up the motors and cause magnetic drag.

Funny thing is that today's hybrids are using the same basic technology to save fuel.

GM Electromotive owns the design and patents, and has been using and collecting from them since the 50's.

Sorry for the thread drift, pics are cool and NO, a human being does not want to be anywhere close to one of those suckers on a runaway. The shrapnel hits before the shockwave.

I laughed at the honda commercial last year that basically said they designed this  

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember an episode of Beyond 2000, circa 1991 or so, talking about using generators to power up batteries when braking, and then using the batteries to help with acceleration. Supposedly had huge fuel savings when used on commuter bus'. Totally new technology.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I laughed at the honda commercial last year that basically said they designed this  

To be fair, hybrid cars don't piss away regenerative braking energy into resistor banks that waste it as heat, they actually use it to charge batteries that will propel them later.  The parallel hybrid design of current automobiles is massively more efficient than the simple series hybrids that are locos.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To be fair, hybrid cars don't piss away regenerative braking energy into resistor banks that waste it as heat, they actually use it to charge batteries that will propel them later.  The parallel hybrid design of current automobiles is massively more efficient than the simple series hybrids that are locos.

AMC did it in the 60s

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Talk about "threw a piston"
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]

"Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A long time ago in another life my employer, General Electric, sold me to another GE shop when our shop ran out of work.  I was sold for a couple of weeks to the GE locomotive shop in Minneapolis.  Our shop had nothing whatsoever to do with locomotives.

At the Minneapolis shop I was given all the dirty shit work that they didn't want to do.  I spent the whole time suited up in hot protective gear rebuilding locomotive resistor grids.  Just like this - a continuous steel band encased in a hard asbestos frame:

The grid frames were made of asbestos because the steel band making the resistive element would get red hot.  The resistor grid was frequently like a big red hot electric grill.  Sometimes they would get so hot that the steel ribbon would melt in two.

So, all day every day I was taking apart the asbestos frames, cutting out the melted sections with an air tool and cutting wheel, and then using scraps of cut up resistor band to piece together a complete resistor band for the shop welders to stitch back together again.

After I got my rewelded ribbon bands back I would reassemble them in new asbestos frames.  At the end of the day I was covered in asbestos dust, rust, and metal grit from all the cutting.

Braking resistors are used in a lot of heavy machinery.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A long time ago in another life my employer, General Electric, sold me to another GE shop when our shop ran out of work.  I was sold for a couple of weeks to the GE locomotive shop in Minneapolis.  Our shop had nothing whatsoever to do with locomotives.

At the Minneapolis shop I was given all the dirty shit work that they didn't want to do.  I spent the whole time suited up in hot protective gear rebuilding locomotive resistor grids.  Just like this - a continuous steel band encased in a hard asbestos frame:

http://2.imimg.com/data2/XT/RQ/IMFCP-3624669/data2-vf-wo-imfcp-3624669-data2-nx-hb-imfcp-3624669-00640338-b-2-braking-resistor-250x250.jpghttp://2.imimg.com/data2/GE/QK/IMFCP-1573453/prod4-500x500.jpg

The grid frames were made of asbestos because the steel band making the resistive element would get red hot.  The resistor grid was frequently like a big red hot electric grill.  Sometimes they would get so hot that the steel ribbon would melt in two.

So, all day every day I was taking apart the asbestos frames, cutting out the melted sections with an air tool and cutting wheel, and then using scraps of cut up resistor band to piece together a complete resistor band for the shop welders to stitch back together again.

After I got my rewelded ribbon bands back I would reassemble them in new asbestos frames.  At the end of the day I was covered in asbestos dust, rust, and metal grit from all the cutting.

Braking resistors are used in a lot of heavy machinery.

http://www.resistor-repairs.com.au/truck-braking-resistors_clip_image002.jpg

http://www.resistor-repairs.com.au/index_clip_image002.jpg

http://www.mosebachresistors.com/images/GEstyle1.jpg

That's very cool, thanks for that. You obviously get it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Threw a rod
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The fuck is a Canadian train doing in Louisiana?  

Cool pics BTW.  When did this happen?

ETA:  I see US trains up here all the time.  

What, do you want more trains up there now?  

The biggest motor I ever blew up was an air cooled V12 on a M88A1.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Dynamic brakes get hot.

The area just above "SOUTHERN" is the dynamic brake grid. It's very common to see locos with the paint burned off in that area. Espee.railfan.net has some great pics of Sufferin Pacific locos with burned paint.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I remember an episode of Beyond 2000, circa 1991 or so, talking about using generators to power up batteries when braking, and then using the batteries to help with acceleration. Supposedly had huge fuel savings when used on commuter bus'. Totally new technology.

They are trying to do this with hydraulics on heavy trucks.  It looks like it might be cheaper and word as good or better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I would love to see an MSpaint of that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I was on a loaded soda ash train coming home from Green River when the engineer looked out his back window and said "holy shit we're on fire". The third loco in our consist which was a GE AC4400 identical to the one in the OP threw a piston through the engine block and pretty much destroyed the engine and leaked gallons of oil everywhere and made a pretty good fireball too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#20]
That piston was pissedoff.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are trying to do this with hydraulics on heavy trucks.  It looks like it might be cheaper and word as good or better.

It makes good sense.  I'm really surprised that car companies haven't considered storing braking energy in a hydraulic accumulator that is used to propel them up to a few mph (also bump starting the gasoline engine).  

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Dare I say: Very interesting and educational. I had no idea.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Seen a couple loco engines and made parts for them. They are large and pwoerful.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was caused by a lazy uaw fucker slacking.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes good sense.  I'm really surprised that car companies haven't considered storing braking energy in a hydraulic accumulator that is used to propel them up to a few mph (also bump starting the gasoline engine).  

City buses look very promising and it looks like the Chrysler 300 will get it as an option as well.  
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/01/chryslers-publicly-funded-hydraulic-hybrid/
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#25]
blowed up real good...

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Glock makes locomotives?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Finally, Canada is attacking, lets manifest destiny part duo, north to south their asses.

That is the best bullshit pretext for war ever!

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are trying to do this with hydraulics on heavy trucks. It looks like it might be cheaper and word as good or better.

It makes good sense. I'm really surprised that car companies haven't considered storing braking energy in a hydraulic accumulator that is used to propel them up to a few mph (also bump starting the gasoline engine).

That accumulator would have to be pretty heavy.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Question: When a locomotive changes direction/backs up, does the engine reverse its rotation? Or does it stay rotating in the same direction?

And how does the flow of electricity to the driven trucks make it change direction??
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#30]
OK.  Do I blame:

General Motors

General Electric

Obama

or

Canada

for this?

I am so confused
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Question: When a locomotive changes direction/backs up, does the engine reverse its rotation? Or does it stay rotating in the same direction?

And how does the flow of electricity to the driven trucks make it change direction??

Reverse polarity to the traction motors. The only thing that big 16 cylinder engine does is drive an alternator bolted to the back of it. (plus run ancilliary devices like air and hydraulic pumps)
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#32]
One of the risks of built up engines.

but I think the redline on the engines was 980RPM.

Sounds way to high.
the ones I have worked around could not even make 1000 RPM.

They operated in the 200-300 range (but where very old ones), still DC generators.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#33]
IT GLOCKED!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Finally, Canada is attacking, lets manifest destiny part duo, north to south their asses.

The last time we invaded Canada, they ended up marching on Washington and burned down the White House.

...  when do we start?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Reason #87 not to live near train tracks.

During WWII, a train carrying explosive ordnance exploded in the village of Tolar, NM.  This created reason number 3 why not to live near a railroad track.

http://www.pntonline.com/news/winn-3684-tolar-explosion.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One of the risks of built up engines.

but I think the redline on the engines was 980RPM.

Sounds way to high.
the ones I have worked around could not even make 1000 RPM.

They operated in the 200-300 range (but where very old ones), still DC generators.

Sorry to correct, but they idle around230- 250rpm. We would run our rebuilds up on a load bed to 950 rpm and hold them there for 1 hour. I'm very sure the 980rpm number is stuck in my head, because if we went overy that, power assemblies would start to depart the engine block.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Damn...
I'd love to see some shots of locomotive engines now, if anyone works with them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn...
I'd love to see some shots of locomotive engines now, if anyone works with them.

Here you go, just pulled it from wiki. This is an early 645 turbo unit. The newer ones could be had with twin gear driven superchargers with turbochargers mounted on top of them. That config was used mostly for high mountain pass hauling.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've never heard of a locomotive having an uncontained engine failure before. Ban Canadialanderish trains - for the Cajuns!

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/BigSwole1255/Misc%20Pics/Train.jpg
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/BigSwole1255/Misc%20Pics/traincyl.jpg
huh... thats not good..
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/BigSwole1255/Misc%20Pics/House.jpg
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/BigSwole1255/Misc%20Pics/Hole.jpg
holy shit it went through the roof...
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/BigSwole1255/Misc%20Pics/Ceiling.jpg
wait a minute... wtf..
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/BigSwole1255/Misc%20Pics/Piston.jpg

oh my damn...

"This is Canadian National locomotive number 2699. It is a 212 ton machine powered by a 183 liter, 4400 hp V16 4 stroke diesel

Shortly before this picture was taken, while working under load, 2699  experienced what is known in the trade as a "catastrophic uncontained  engine failure". The train was passing the town of Independence , LA, at  the time.
The first picture below shows that the engine exploded and one of the 16  cylinder-packs that form the engine was ejected through the engine bay  body side and thrown clear of the locomotive.
In addition to this the piston from that cylinder was thrown free by the  force of the failure. It was ejected so violently that it traveled  through the air and crashed through the roof of a nearby home where it  imbedded itself in an interior wall.        
"

Canadian train huh ? Damn bagged milk unintended discharge.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Ban Canadian Trains !
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking for decent food?

Yeah. I've never heard anyone say: "Let's go out to eat. Let's get Canadian!"

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
GE recently had a recall of their Evolution Series locomotives (ES44AC, ES44DC, ES40DC), which are the sucessor to the Trash 9-44CW Dash 9-44CW, due to uncontainef turbocharger failure.

That said this extremely rare, and I'm more worried about parts of freight cars.than anything off a locomotive.

Canadian National acquired Illinois Central which is why they are in Louisianna.

"Riding on the City of New Orleans,
Illinois Central Monday morning rail
Fifteen cars and fifteen restless riders,
Three conductors and twenty-five sacks of mail."

- Arlo Guthrie, City of New Orleans

Yes, the Illinois Central Gulf from Chicago to New Orleans, north-south through Louisiana.

The old Southern Pacific was east-west through New Orleans.  Santa Fe, UP, Rock Island, the Gulf, Mobile, & Ohio, Norfolk Southern, CSX, all seen in that state.  New Orleans is a major port and shipping hub.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looking for decent food?

I bet you eat the shit out of some canadian bacon.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking for decent food?

I bet you eat the shit out of some canadian bacon.

You mean "ham"?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I miss shows like beyond 2000. This was when discovery was great, and the learning channel showed shows that you could actually learn from.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Ahhahaha!  What was the name of that show SC...something...

ETA: SCTV! A lot of great comedians got their start on that show.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Threw a rod
Was it poor heat treatment or parts failure?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

City buses look very promising and it looks like the Chrysler 300 will get it as an option as well.  

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/01/chryslers-publicly-funded-hydraulic-hybrid/

Interesting, but it doesn't capture braking energy to charge the accumulator, instead it uses an engine driven pump.  Still a move in the right direction IMO, better a 14 gallon accumulator than a big stonking battery pack.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Here you go, just pulled it from wiki. This is an early 645 turbo unit. The newer ones could be had with twin gear driven superchargers with turbochargers mounted on top of them. That config was used mostly for high mountain pass hauling.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/Dagger41/717px-083_engine.jpg

12-645 from a GP15-1 or MP15DC/MP15AC.  Its not turbo'ed though.  Its normally aspirated.  1,500 horsepower.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top