Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/12/2011 8:26:20 PM EDT
Shopping for a pocket knife to replace my Microtech Ultratech I lost. Hopefully it will show up soon but in the meantime I was looking for a durable EDC replacement and stumbled upon CRKT's M16 series of knife, focusing on the titanium handled models (m16-14t and m16-13t). Reading the comments I found this:

imagine my disappointment to discover the word Taiwan etched in tiny letters near the hinge of the blade on this knife. It's a great design but for its premium price it should have be made right here in America C'mon CRKT, you seem to pride yourself in serving our military with your products. It's time for you to rethink your position about where those products are made and support our country from within, too ***CRKT RESPONSE CRKT is a family owned/operated Oregon company that provides over 30+ jobs right here in Tualatin, Oregon. Founder Rod Bremer has graciously guided this company to stand for quality, innovation, and value at a competitive price. We manufacture overseas in China and Taiwan much like Apple, Nike (Oregon), Columbia Sportswear (Oregon), and many other great American companies. One important note about CRKT is that we are not foreign owned. We are locally owned; any and all of CRKT company profit generated stays here locally in the U.S. It's a global economy at this point and all of us here at CRKT in customer service, QC quality control department, corporate office, shipping, receiving, operations and IT (yes...IT is right here with us) are very grateful to have jobs to provide for our families and contribute to the local economy here in Oregon and the United States.

I was surprised to see CRKT only employing roughly 30ish people in the states, especially given that you see one in every knife store and catalog. Kinda bummed out about buying the knife now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Many knives are made in China/Taiwan. CRKT knives have been made there since the beginning.

They're still good.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Still a good knife for the money.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Premium price?
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thought about buying one, called the company and asked where their knives were made.  I politely passed after being told the fucking communists made them.  I don't give a shit how good they are.   I also feel this way about the Chinese made 1911a1.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't object to Taiwanese product....much.

I draw the line at Chinese product,  that is, when I have a choice.    But I'm not anti-Taiwan like I'm anti-China.

Yes, I'd prefer USA made products in every case,  but I can understand why companies go to overseas production when a USA-made

alternative would probably end up costing three times as much and possibly would end up made by some unionized mouth breathers

with an absolute minimum of attention to detail or quality control.

Above all,  I want what I buy to be of high quality.    And, sometimes, to be really fair about it,  even the Chinese can and do make

a quality product.  My original iPhone, and my new iPhone 4, are of Chinese origin and I am unable to fault the quality even if I

detest the fact that they ARE made in China.   But I wasn't going to get a droid!

CJ

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
You want to read something really fucked up?

Case is coming out with a line of Chinese made "tactical folders."
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thought about buying one, called the company and asked where their knives were made.  I politely passed after being told the fucking communists made them.  I don't give a shit how good they are.   I also feel this way about the Chinese made 1911a1.

>>Made by Communists...
>>... in Taiwan

Hmmm....
Hmmmmmmmmm.......
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Good knives for a great price...even if made in Taiwan. I have had this. Link For I dont know how long. Great knife. Fastest opening knife I have ever owned. Stays sharp etc etc.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
ESEE and certain Benchmades are still made in USA
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Phht just as bad as all them shitty Japanese made knives like Spyderco and Al Mar.

Stick with good old American blades like Cold Steel!
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey - Taiwan (FREE CHINA) is not Communist (yet) as far as I know.

and all my CRKTs have been superb.

Price break?  Some fire equipment suppliers really cut a discount to firefighters on CRKT stuff..

also, try www.usinternetsales.com  great prices and customer service.

disclaimer: a Bro of mine owns it.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
See, now you did it.  I went and looked at my beloved daily-carry AR15.com/CRKT M16-14LE knife.
In little, teeny-tiny letters it says: taiwan.
Bad dreams, Mommy!  Bad dreams!

I love this knife.
No matter where it was made.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

>>Made by Communists...
>>... in Taiwan

Hmmm....
Hmmmmmmmmm.......

I wanted to say something about that.  Oh well.

They are good knives and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Japan has, in all honesty, some of the best steel for the money. They have been making blades for over a thousand years, and pride themselves in such. They also have very good heat treating, which has been learned over the years and is now computer controlled insuring proper temperatures and exposure times. If you do not want to pay the price for a premium American steel (like Crucibles) you should be thankful they have chosen to make their products available at reasonable prices.

Chinese also produce a lot of knives, and they have come a long way in production quality of their products. I do not particularly like any of the Chinese made knives however, so I do not purchase them.

I like American made products best, but I also understand that if I want quality in my knife, I must pay the price. Emerson knives, Strider Knives, or even TOPS Knives. You will find many other formerly American production has at least some of their products made in Asia, these include Buck, Schrade, Remington, and even names renowned for quality such as Benchmade.

In the end, if you want American, be prepared to fork over the money, only you can decide if it is worth it for you.

-PC-
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good knives for a great price...even if made in Taiwan. I have had this. Link For I dont know how long. Great knife. Fastest opening knife I have ever owned. Stays sharp etc etc.

I'm on my third one.  Not because they suck, because I'm a dumbass sometimes.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Slight thread hijack

Can I get a benchmade repaired if I don't have any of the original paperwork that came with it?

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Phht just as bad as all them shitty Japanese made knives like Spyderco and Al Mar.

Lynn Thompson is a friend of mine, even the high-dollar Cold Steel San Mai III Knives are made in Taiwan. Actually, probably most of their products are imported from somewhere else, but the quality is still there.

-PC-
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Japan has, in all honesty, some of the best steel for the money. They have been making blades for over a thousand years, and pride themselves in such. They also have very good heat treating, which has been learned over the years and is now computer controlled insuring proper temperatures and exposure times. If you do not want to pay the price for a premium American steel (like Crucibles) you should be thankful they have chosen to make their products available at reasonable prices.

Chinese also produce a lot of knives, and they have come a long way in production quality of their products. I do not particularly like any of the Chinese made knives however, so I do not purchase them.

I like American made products best, but I also understand that if I want quality in my knife, I must pay the price. Emerson knives, Strider Knives, or even TOPS Knives. You will find many other formerly American production has at least some of their products made in Asia, these include Buck, Schrade, Remington, and even names renowned for quality such as Benchmade.

In the end, if you want American, be prepared to fork over the money, only you can decide if it is worth it for you.

-PC-
Japan probably gets their steel from China.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#19]
As long it's a good knife i don't care where it's made really...

But the whole global economy excuse is just annoying.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Slight thread hijack

Can I get a benchmade repaired if I don't have any of the original paperwork that came with it?

Yep. Call them up.  Benchmade cs is second to none.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Premium Price?

Having things made in the cheapest place possible is as old as this country, hell, way older than that and as American as apple pie (If you think that capitalism is American)

Get over it.

Things get made cheaper, we pay less, it gives us money to spend on other things that are done right here locally like buying more groceries, or paying doctor bills, or dinner out with the family.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]
My Kershaw Avalanche is made right here in the good old USA.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I bet the Taiwanese buy knife blades from China.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lynn Thompson is a friend of mine, even the high-dollar Cold Steel San Mai III Knives are made in Taiwan. Actually, probably most of their products are imported from somewhere else, but the quality is still there.

-PC-

I know, my statement was already so full of sarcasm, that I figured "facts" didn't matter in the second half.
It's amazing that people don't understand that the best knives have been coming from overseas for hundreds of years.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My Kershaw Avalanche is made right here in the good old USA.

So was my belly-button.  Does it make it better?
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually probably the best performance blade steel, aside from friction forged process, is ZDP-189 as used by William Henry Knives, and more recently by Spyderco. If you know William Henry you know many of their knives are well over the $1000 mark, even for relatively small knives, and are routinely considered one of the best investment quality knives. ZDP-189 is a Japanese sourced steel. So there is always the factor that a USA made knife is still sourced from Japanese parts.

-PC-
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Double speak––-you cannot purchase or have manufactured an item outside of the USA and say all the profit stays in the USA.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Double speak––-you cannot purchase or have manufactured an item outside of the USA and say all the profit stays in the USA.

This is what I was wondering.  What's in it for the Taiwanese, then?
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Uh, yes you can. Not all the expenditure stays in the US, but (assume all shareholders are domestic) all the profit does.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#30]
After I wore holes in the handles of a couple CRKTs with their own pocket clip, I didn't much care where they were made.   They felt pretty solid for cheap Taiwan knives, though the steel didn't hold an edge as long as other knives I've owned.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

actually, the Seiko, Japan blades are really, really good.  the cold steel blades are crap.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bet the Taiwanese buy knife blades from China.

You would probably win that bet. The chinese are past masters at 'false flagging' country of origin - everything from clothing to food products. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the whole knife were made in china and simply passed thru taiwan to be stamped that way, if even that.

This isn't a comment on those knives since i don't know anything about them. It's about chinese duplicity, about which several dozen very large volumes could be written.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#33]
My CRKT daily carry knife is a M16-SFA the A stands for made in USA.

Discontinued in 2007.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

Oh god is he really that full of himself as he appears in the vendor videos?
The blade videos were bad enough but the shooting video I was on the floor laughing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Ive had several kershaw knives over the last couple years and they have all been made in USA.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Yall would freak the fuck out to know that BELGIAN & ITALIAN companies makes US Military Small Arms.

Just because it says FN USA or Beretta USA does not mean that money ain't going across the ocean.

But don't let that get into the way of a emotional knee-jerk reaction.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

This guy is your friend?
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#38]
get an Emerson with the WAVE feature
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

The blade videos were bad enough but the shooting video I was on the floor laughing.

He is not that bad. He is a great hunter, and is skilled as such, seen a lot of one shot drops with him using a large bore pistol, even on game like water buffalo (on video not in person) He was rated as one of the ten best knife fighting instructors in the US. His video series (knife fighting) is very educational, even if you prefer a different style, you will still learn something that may be valuable to you. I cannot comment on his tactical shooting ability because I have not seen him in such. I can say, I would not want him to come at me with a knife, and seeing his hunting marksmanship I would not want him necessarily shooting at me either. You will not see him on any tier 1 type teams, certainly not, and you may not find his products on them either. But you will find his knives in use by many combat arms professionals. As well in many hard working American men's pockets or on their belts.  

He is actually pretty humble, but does take pride in his company. When he got news of my injury, he sent me a custom sword cane, and some other items of value and thanked me for my service. He is incredibly generous, and I have wrote some reviews for his upper end knives (San Mai III series) He has successfully made good quality knives available at good prices. He stands behind the knives he sells as well (from my experiences, and my associates) He is a firm believer in 2nd Amendment Rights, and continues producing many self defense products, even though he resides in CA. I have no problem with someone taking pride in their company, or in their knowledge. You may not necessarily agree with his tactics, but in the edged weapons world he is a decent instructor. He has many programs for the benefit of soldiers, LEO, and Firemen. He does market his products well, and believes in good advertising, and product demonstration. You can't blame him for running an effective business.

But as I said he is a very good man, and one that anyone would enjoy sharing a beer with.

-PC-
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#41]
My good ol'e CRKT VOODOO is a US made folder using 154CM steel.

The assisted opening mechanism was made from a casting, though, and broke.  CRKT would credit me the retail value, but I would rather have my knife with no assist than get a new one with AUS 8 steel.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

He is not that bad. He is a great hunter, and is skilled as such, seen a lot of one shot drops with him using a large bore pistol, even on game like water buffalo (on video not in person) He was rated as one of the ten best knife fighting instructors in the US. His video series (knife fighting) is very educational, even if you prefer a different style, you will still learn something that may be valuable to you. I cannot comment on his tactical shooting ability because I have not seen him in such. I can say, I would not want him to come at me with a knife, and seeing his hunting marksmanship I would not want him necessarily shooting at me either. You will not see him on any tier 1 type teams, certainly not, and you may not find his products on them either. But you will find his knives in use by many combat arms professionals. As well in many hard working American men's pockets or on their belts.  

He is actually pretty humble, but does take pride in his company. When he got news of my injury, he sent me a custom sword cane, and some other items of value and thanked me for my service. He is incredibly generous, and I have wrote some reviews for his upper end knives (San Mai III series) He has successfully made good quality knives available at good prices. He stands behind the knives he sells as well (from my experiences, and my associates) He is a firm believer in 2nd Amendment Rights, and continues producing many self defense products, even though he resides in CA. I have no problem with someone taking pride in their company, or in their knowledge. You may not necessarily agree with his tactics, but in the edged weapons world he is a decent instructor. He has many programs for the benefit of soldiers, LEO, and Firemen. He does market his products well, and believes in good advertising, and product demonstration. You can't blame him for running an effective business.

But as I said he is a very good man, and one that anyone would enjoy sharing a beer with.

-PC-

"Cool guy" or not, I can blame him for putting out that horrible "training" video full of shit that will put other peoples safety at risk.

He should definitely stick to what he's good at.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

This guy is your friend?

He does many instructional & entertainment videos. Here is one of his hunting in OZ, hunting big game. Many one shot stops on big animals ****contains hunting violence***

Lynn Thomspn Down Under Promo ***GRAPHIC HUNTING VIOLENCE***

And before you say it, the meat was donated to locals for consumption. Hunting is much more his thing, but his tactics do work well against the untrained and for the average person.

-PC-
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

This guy is your friend?

He does many instructional & entertainment videos. Here is one of his hunting in OZ, hunting big game. Many one shot stops on big animals ****contains hunting violence***

Lynn Thomspn Down Under Promo ***GRAPHIC HUNTING VIOLENCE***

And before you say it, the meat was donated to locals for consumption. Hunting is much more his thing, but his tactics do work well against the untrained and for the average person.

-PC-

Is he a decent guy in real life? Every video I seen of him he comes across as being a little off. I cant even put my finger on what it is.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Fucking retarded.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#47]
He is a knife and hunting guy..............I make no claims on him being a tactical authority when it comes to firearms. I don't really care to sit down and watch all of his videos either, not my cup of tea. I prefer Earl Grey myself. But I have never really been a video instruction kinda guy. I did not even know he has done videos like the Glock video, I may watch it later just for kicks. Obviously aimed at a non-gun-informed person or something, IDK , I will only defend that which I know is good, and from the looks of the video, I probably will not be recommending it to anyone, or even admitting it exists

Back on subject, his upper-end knives are pretty good quality for the price. I have a Trail Master San Mai II in my bugout gear, and it is a definite performer in terms of edge grind, metallurgy, and overall quality of the blade. I have not messed with too many of his cheaper knives though, some are good however. It all depends if you like the designs.

-PC-
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I got one in my hand and it does not say made in Taiwan on it anywhere..I must have a fake Chinese one..
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top