Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I could carry any knife I want.................and a good deal of brands I could get for little to nothing. I choose to carry an Emerson Custom Super CQC-6 wave model. People tell me all of the time, that I should not carry it because it is valuable, I usually laugh at them as if it is such a valuable knife that you do not carry it, then what good is it to have??? An investment I suppose, but I prefer to use it for daily carry. I waited on a waiting list for about 5 years to get it made for me, so there is no way I am not going to get my full $$$$ of use out of it!

-PC-

ETA- Ownership of the Page!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
get an Emerson with the WAVE feature

IMHO Emersons are way overpriced and overhyped. I can flex the blade and frame of my waved 8 with just my hands and minimal pressure.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Phht just as bad as all them shitty Japanese made knives like Spyderco and Al Mar.

Stick with good old American blades like Cold Steel!

Actually, Cold Steel produces nothing. They're a marketing company and not involved in the manufacture of knives, tomahawks, etc. Unfortunately, Camillus Knives closed down a few years ago and that's where the top selling fixed blades for CS were made. The premium prices you'll see for the ever popular SRK (Survival Rescue Knife) made with a Carbon V blade, are the ones made by Camillus. The current SRKs are made in Taiwan with AUS8 steel, which isn't horrible by any means, but not as desirable as the ollder Carbon V knives. I own a few of their folders and like CRKT, they're a good knife for what you pay. Everyone can't (and won't) pay a hundred dollars and up for a folder. Different strokes and all that.

As far as calling Spyderco and Al Mar "shitty" knives, test their warranty vs. Cold Steel. I think your opinion would change quickly.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 2:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The premium price of a M16 folder?  Were you accidentally looking at the CRK website instead of CRKT?

Why bother with Chinese made when there are much better quality made knives made here with better steel for a similar price?  The fit and finish of the several CRKT's I own is fine but the blade steel sucks, other then one 154CM but it's USA made so it doesn't count anyway.  Cardboard boxes fold, not dull, the edge of my Desert M16 and it takes about twice as long to get a decent edge on it as it does with even D2 tool steel on my Wheatly knecker or the ZDP in my Spyderco Stretch.  Admittedly, maybe a got a bad heat treat on mine but there's no redeeming factor to give the benefit of the doubt for.

OP, go to Walmart and buy yourself a Kershaw Skyline. Sandvic steel and G10 handles, you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thought about buying one, called the company and asked where their knives were made.  I politely passed after being told the fucking communists made them.  I don't give a shit how good they are.   I also feel this way about the Chinese made 1911a1.

Hey - Taiwan (FREE CHINA) is not Communist (yet) as far as I know.

and all my CRKTs have been superb.

Price break?  Some fire equipment suppliers really cut a discount to firefighters on CRKT stuff..

also, try www.usinternetsales.com  great prices and customer service.

disclaimer: a Bro of mine owns it.

For those who can't read but can write in huge, bold, red letters:

"We manufacture overseas in China and Taiwan"

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thought about buying one, called the company and asked where their knives were made.  I politely passed after being told the fucking communists made them.  I don't give a shit how good they are.   I also feel this way about the Chinese made 1911a1.

>>Made by Communists...
>>... in Taiwan

Hmmm....
Hmmmmmmmmm.......

I wanted to say something about that.  Oh well.

They are good knives and reasonably priced.

Good thing you didn't because they clearly stated that they do manufacture in communist China as well as Taiwan so you would have looked foolish.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Taiwan dude.  Most certainly NOT communist
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO Emersons are way overpriced and overhyped. I can flex the blade and frame of my waved 8 with just my hands and minimal pressure.

You certainly can't do that with my Commander.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Phht just as bad as all them shitty Japanese made knives like Spyderco and Al Mar.

Stick with good old American blades like Cold Steel!

Lynn Thompson is a friend of mine, even the high-dollar Cold Steel San Mai III Knives are made in Taiwan. Actually, probably most of their products are imported from somewhere else, but the quality is still there.

-PC-

Do you get to be in any of the videos? That sword vid is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Kershaw Avalanche is made right here in the good old USA.

So was my belly-button.  Does it make it better?

I love my Kershaw's, I have Leeks and Chives and find them to be extremely well made and always sharp.  Never had an issue with one of their knives and love their customer service.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I always thought you had to buy American to get decent American steel. Because after all we still do make the best steel here in the USA. Atleast thats what Ive always been told.

Then I was told a lot of the American made blades were made of imported steel.

SOG for the win.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Premium price?

Exactly!

I have 3 different knives from the M16 line, from small to large. If you added up all 3 of them  it still wouldn't come close to what I consider to be a premium price for a folder. They are great little folders, but they aren't sebenzas, nor are they priced as such.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:15:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally , back in 2002 or so when I bought it , I had a bit of a problem spending $65 on a Taiwanese-made knife.  I'd heard all the good feedback of the M-16's though and said 'fuck it'.

Now the knife is still going strong , been resharpened so much the serrations are almost gone , still functions perfectly , and still holds a great edge .

Strongest , longest lasting work knife I've ever owned .

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The premium price of a M16 folder?  Were you accidentally looking at the CRK website instead of CRKT?

Why bother with Chinese made when there are much better quality made knives made here with better steel for a similar price?  The fit and finish of the several CRKT's I own is fine but the blade steel sucks, other then one 154CM but it's USA made so it doesn't count anyway.  Cardboard boxes fold, not dull, the edge of my Desert M16 and it takes about twice as long to get a decent edge on it as it does with even D2 tool steel on my Wheatly knecker or the ZDP in my Spyderco Stretch.  Admittedly, maybe a got a bad heat treat on mine but there's no redeeming factor to give the benefit of the doubt for.

OP, go to Walmart and buy yourself a Kershaw Skyline. Sandvic steel and G10 handles, you can't go wrong.

This, absolutely this.

My CRKT M-16 sucked so bad I gave it away.  The grip shape was silly and the blade steel was terrible.  It sure looked cool but wouldn't hold an edge for shit.  I will be sticking with  Benchmade or Spyderco.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Premium price?

Exactly!

I have 3 different knives from the M16 line, from small to large. If you added up all 3 of them  it still wouldn't come close to what I consider to be a premium price for a folder. They are great little folders, but they aren't sebenzas, nor are they priced as such.

yup, they are great as long as you don't try to cut anything with them
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Premium price?

Exactly!

Gee, that's funny. I 've had one of them for about 8 yrs now and the other 2 for a four years and they all cut great. I guess knowing how to sharpen a knife is a good skill after all!
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Premium price?

Exactly!

Gee, that's funny. I 've had one of them for about 8 yrs now and the other 2 for a four years and they all cut great. I guess knowing how to sharpen a knife is a good skill after all!

Yea, I probably have no clue how to sharpen a knife.

That could be it.

Or possibly my definition of "cut great" is a little different from your definition of "cut great".

We will have to leave this question to the philosophers I suppose.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine cuts great , always has .
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taiwan dude.  Most certainly NOT communist

But China  where they also manufacture their products is.

Reading and actually comprehending the OP, how does it work?
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always thought you had to buy American to get decent American steel. Because after all we still do make the best steel here in the USA. Atleast thats what Ive always been told.

Then I was told a lot of the American made blades were made of imported steel.

SOG for the win.

American steel . . . .

American steel . . .

Hmmmm, I remember reading something about how hard Pennsylvania suffered after all the steel mils shut down and the jobs were shipped overseas . . .

I'm sure there are a few steel companies left in America but it's not like it used to be.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Japan has, in all honesty, some of the best steel for the money.

Most of the Spyderco blades are made in Japan, but they assemble the knives here in the US(or at least used to when I kept track of such things. I seem to remember hearing that they have a cheapo made in China line now as well, I wouldn't buy one of those).

Good knives are expensive, and the industrial base in the US is not what it used to be. I have no problem with American companies using components from countries like Japan and Taiwan, and will continue to buy those products. Sadly there are many other products of various kinds that come out of China, if there is a US or non-Communist country that makes them, I will usually avoid the Chinese product - and then there are markets such as computers and cell phones where it is very difficult to avoid the Chinese connection(and indeed many places where even Taiwan and Japan have lost out to cheaper Chinese competition). Nothing wrong with being picky about the COO of products you buy, but the ROC is not what I would consider a problem.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:45:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Premium price?

Exactly!

Gee, that's funny. I 've had one of them for about 8 yrs now and the other 2 for a four years and they all cut great. I guess knowing how to sharpen a knife is a

good skill after all!

That could be it.

Or possibly my definition of "cut great" is a little different from your definition of "cut great".

Confucious say "communist Chinese and Taiwan made shit."
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That could be it.

I've owned $500 pocket knives, and I've owned $10 pocket knives. I have worked as a sous chef and used knives all day long to cut everything from butter to bone. I don't think there are very many interpretations for "cuts great", it either cuts well or it doesn't. Unless the metal is totally worthless the ability comes down to the finished edge and sometimes technique. If you don't think a CRKT with a good edge can cut great for any normal pocket knife task then I wish you well as you carry on in your mistaken or ill-imformed belief.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Apparently you don't know jack shit about Taiwan and communism.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As long it's a good knife i don't care where it's made really...

But the whole global economy excuse is just annoying.

With regrets it is not an 'Excuse", just reality.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#26]
You can get 240 of these for the price some of you pay for knives:

http://www.eknivesrus.com/.sc/ms/bdd/ee/5/Maxam%20Lockback%20Knife
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could be it.

I've owned $500 pocket knives, and I've owned $10 pocket knives. I have worked as a sous chef and used knives all day long to cut everything from butter to bone. I don't think there are very many interpretations for "cuts great", it either cuts well or it doesn't. Unless the metal is totally worthless the ability comes down to the finished edge and sometimes technique. If you don't think a CRKT with a good edge can cut great for any normal pocket knife task then I wish you well as you carry on in your mistaken or ill-imformed belief.

The items I cut are more abrasive than food items.  I cut a lot of paper and cardboard, deburr polymer, aluminum, and mild steel parts, and also cut a fair amount of wood.  The CRKT blade I had was the worst at holding an edge that I have ever seen.  I sharpen all my knives on the same ceramic stones at the same blade angle.  Perhaps it had a bad heat treatment, I don't know, nor do I care, I have never had that issue with a Benchmade or a Spyderco so consequently I don't plan on purchasing any more CRKT knives.  For cutting food items I am sure they are great.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#28]
ZT knives are made in the USA.  Best damn knife I have ever had.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Jeez.....All the "high speed-low drag" pocket-knife threads make me want to puke coat-hangers. It's just a fucking pocket knife people, get a grip.

I've always wondered if the so-called "crap pocket-knives" would be sharpened by someone that knows what the hell they are doing if they would be just fine. I suspect that is the case with most knives of half-way decent quality.

For what some of you people are willing to pay for a damn pocket knife you could go to most any flea market in the land and find you a nice vintage American made pocket knife that will serve you well the rest of your life for a fraction of the price if "buying American" is your hang-up.  

Pro-tip......A pocket-knife is not a fucking pry-bar.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You certainly can't do that with my Commander.

Or with mine. I own about six Emersons and carry one daily, pry bar they are not but they are a great knife.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently you didn't read the company's response in the OP; specifically the part where they said they manufacture their knives in China as well as in Taiwan.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can get 240 of these for the price some of you pay for knives:

http://www.eknivesrus.com/.sc/ms/bdd/ee/5/Maxam%20Lockback%20Knife

I'd have no use for even one , let alone 240
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Non issue. I have good knives that come from Japan, the USA, Germany...

I have Crkt knives and I have a great Benchmade. There is a quality difference, but they're all good knives and I use and carry them all at different times.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Double speak––-you cannot purchase or have manufactured an item outside of the USA and say all the profit stays in the USA.

Uh, what the fuck are you on about?

Those are expenses, not profit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#35]
When you see the old movies with the sheriff hammering up a wanted poster with his gun butt do you think that you should try that with your 2K custom Springfield?
The key take away here is to not use your knife as a pry bar, screwdriver, rivet cutter, etc.
While they may work in a pinch, you will damage the blade.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could be it.

The items I cut are more abrasive than food items.  I cut a lot of paper and cardboard, deburr polymer, aluminum, and mild steel parts, and also cut a fair amount of wood.  The CRKT blade I had was the worst at holding an edge that I have ever seen.  I sharpen all my knives on the same ceramic stones at the same blade angle.  Perhaps it had a bad heat treatment, I don't know, nor do I care, I have never had that issue with a Benchmade or a Spyderco so consequently I don't plan on purchasing any more CRKT knives.  For cutting food items I am sure they are great.

FYI CRKT had a bad run of blades. I am good at sharpening knives and the this one would not hold an edge at all. I had a pro take a whack at it and the blade steel acted very strange - the steel started flaking where the wheel touched it. I contacted CRKT and they replaced the knife.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Q: Where are Cold Steel products made?Our products are manufactured world wide. Most items are made in Japan, USA, Taiwan, or China.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I have two CRKT knives. One is an EDC and the other is a work knife. I have beat the living shit out of my work knife for years and it keeps chugging along. My only complaint is the three screws that hold the pocket clip on came loose a few times, and I had to use locktite on them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I carry an Emerson or a Strider. Fuck CRKT. I was offered one when I was ETS'in the Navy. I turned it in and kept my boots instead. They are not quality knives. They are not worth the money. I do not trust them with my life.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Emerson.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Meh, I'll buy whatever is the best product for my $, don't dive s shits where it is made.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#42]
i buy only AMERICAN made knives.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Yes Benchmade tried a line (red box) that was imported but they finally dumped that last year. All their products are 100% made in the USA now
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Why does it matter? They make shit. They are the Taurus of the knife world. Lots of potentially cool designs, killed by cheap, shoddy construction.

Hell, Spyderco's and Benchmade's cheap knives are better than anything CRKT makes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes Benchmade tried a line (red box) that was imported but they finally dumped that last year. All their products are 100% made in the USA now

No, they didn't, and no they aren't. The red class knives were shuffled to Benchmade's sub-brands HK and Harley Davidson.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently you didn't read the company's response in the OP; specifically the part where they said they manufacture their knives in China as well as in Taiwan.

Apparently you dont seem to get that "they", as in CRKT, dont manufacture a damned thing.  Another company makes it for them.

Furthermore, you keep telling people to read the OP when they arent even quoting and responding to it.  In the OP it clearly states they are made in China and Taiwan.  Genius poster "effinNewGuy" made a blanket statement effectively saying both are communist.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My Kershaw Avalanche is made right here in the good old USA.

CRKT, in my experiences, have been shit.

Foreign made shit vs. American Kershaw at same price point? No brainer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#48]
My CRKT M16 is strong, stays sharp, operates smoothly/positively after 3 years of use, and cost <$40.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
See, now you did it.  I went and looked at my beloved daily-carry AR15.com/CRKT M16-14LE knife.
In little, teeny-tiny letters it says: taiwan.
Bad dreams, Mommy!  Bad dreams!

I love this knife.
No matter where it was made.

I think we should keep in mind that offshore products are made to specs. If a vendor asks for a good knife, that's what he gets. If specs call for a poor/cheap knife, that is what is provided.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I usually pick up a crkt and an Emeron each year.

I really like the emerson!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top