BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You make excellent points, but it's not 1947 anymore.  

I own an AK.  It's fun.  It's simple to use.  And I suppose if I was illiterate and couldn't read a manual on how to operate a rifle, it would be easier to figure out.  

But, it's 2011, I can read, and the mag catch and selector/safety are in better places on the AR, and the AR has always had better sights (even the M1 had better sights than the AK).  Better accuracy is the icing on the cake.

I am floored that Russians still use the AK.  I don't think the AR is the perfect gun, but I'm surprised the Russians haven't come up with something better than either of them.  I don't know if it's a cost issue, or simply a reflection of their military doctrine.

More than likely, a bit of both. Bear in mind that the Soviets used the AK much like an SMG - it was literally a replacement for the 7.62x25 PPSH-41, and doctrinally was used in the same manner. As such, individual accuracy wasn't a big concern, especially not with conscripts. The rear sight was "good enough", and "good enough" is the mantra of Soviet gunmakers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The AIA rifles are fantastic. They also make a 7.62x51 NATO version that feeds from M14 magazines.

Where can I get one?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That would be dumb. The mag system on AKs is their biggest deficiency and the greatest advantage of ARs over AKs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWdIFa-y2F0

Another good video
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own an AK.  It's fun.  It's simple to use.  And I suppose if I was illiterate and couldn't read a manual on how to operate a rifle, it would be easier to figure out.  

But, it's 2011, I can read, and the mag catch and selector/safety are in better places on the AR, and the AR has always had better sights (even the M1 had better sights than the AK).  Better accuracy is the icing on the cake.

I am floored that Russians still use the AK.  I don't think the AR is the perfect gun, but I'm surprised the Russians haven't come up with something better than either of them.  I don't know if it's a cost issue, or simply a reflection of their military doctrine.

More than likely, a bit of both. Bear in mind that the Soviets used the AK much like an SMG - it was literally a replacement for the 7.62x25 PPSH-41, and doctrinally was used in the same manner. As such, individual accuracy wasn't a big concern, especially not with conscripts. The rear sight was "good enough", and "good enough" is the mantra of Soviet gunmakers.

Considering they have many factories already paid off and tooled for AK production, they can afford to make them for pennies. Raw materials and labor are about the sum of the cost. I've heard figures as low as 8 or 9 dollars to make an AK in some parts of Russia.

With that in mind, would you change? Care to find a gun twice as good as an AK for $20?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Realistically if you look at the evolution of various rifles into "assault rifles" one difference was the soviet and german school of Upsizing SMG's into assault rifles, versus the American/W. european school of Down-sizing rifles into "assault rifles".

The SMG school just wanted a bit more range out of their bullet hoses so they had to add "power" to the round, while the rifle school mainly wanted controlable FA fire and had to give up "power" to do it. And you are correct with regard to doctrine, the soviets and germans realized the vast majority of engaments occured under 300yds (most at 100 or less) and their accuracy requirments were based on those ranges.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The AIA rifles are fantastic. They also make a 7.62x51 NATO version that feeds from M14 magazines.

Where can I get one?

Canada. Australia. Not here, because eeeeevil Vietnamese made the stocks. Thank the DoS for saving you from eeeeevil Vietnamese teak.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
there's GREAT variation among mags though, you have to be more specific as to which ones are the most reliable type.

Just about any surplus mag out there.  

Yup.  I avoid the commercial stuff.

I've been very happy with Romanian, Yugo, Hungarian, and Chinese mags, all steel.  Some were blued, some were parked, some I refinished with Alumahyde II.  Some looked like they were unissued, others looked like they could tell stories about a coup d'etat or firing at some goat-herder in Afghanistan circa 1980.  

Of the couple dozen I have, I've gotten one with a bad/weak spring and another with a dented body that AIM replaced at no charge.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok.. It is official.   I want an m10 carbine. Wonder if an enterprising Cannuck could import them to US after replacing the evil commie wood stocks with something less banned in the US?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That would be dumb. The mag system on AKs is their biggest deficiency and the greatest advantage of ARs over AKs.

Push button, drop free mag release with straight magazine insert vs. clip activated mag release and "rock in" insert.

I'd consider that a plus in my book.

Slower insertion is a plus?

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering they have many factories already paid off and tooled for AK production, they can afford to make them for pennies. Raw materials and labor are about the sum of the cost. I've heard figures as low as 8 or 9 dollars to make an AK in some parts of Russia.

With that in mind, would you change? Care to find a gun twice as good as an AK for $20?

They may "give them away" for such paltry sums (or used to), but I HIGHLY doubt the Russians make modern AKs in Russianr factories for $8 or $9. Don't believe everything you hear. Sure some garage operation in Pakistan might, but not the Russians. IIRC they were complaining about clones or "counterfeits" as they called them, and how much cheaper they were compared to the real deal Russian hardware. I'd check your facts.

Just because China can crank out a cheap ass POS AR-15 clone doesn't mean Colt, FN, BCM, LMT, etc can for the same price and still maintain their own quality standards.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Push button, drop free mag release with straight magazine insert vs. clip activated mag release and "rock in" insert.

No one I've ever seen has had an AK magazine drop out when the first cartridge was fired.
OTOH, I've watch more than a few people perform their version of a high speed reload with an AR and fail to seat the magazine fully. The result? The magazine drops out when the rifle is fired. Embarassing at a range. Potentially deadly if the range is two way. A little extra time is an acceptable trade for certainty, especially since one isn't supposed to be relying on the ability to perform high speed magazine changes if one expects to survive. Magazine changes are performed while behind cover.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The magazines themselves are cheap, effective and reliable but I have to agree that the rock in and roll out magazine release is an antiquated design. The push button of the AR is far superior. It's one of the few things I don't like about the AK.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where can I get one?

Canada. Australia. Not here, because eeeeevil Vietnamese made the stocks. Thank the DoS for saving you from eeeeevil Vietnamese teak.

Yeah thats what I thought. I wanted the L42esque one but I guess I'm SOL...
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one I've ever seen has had an AK magazine drop out when the first cartridge was fired.
OTOH, I've watch more than a few people perform their version of a high speed reload with an AR and fail to seat the magazine fully. The result? The magazine drops out when the rifle is fired. Embarassing at a range. Potentially deadly if the range is two way. A little extra time is an acceptable trade for certainty, especially since one isn't supposed to be relying on the ability to perform high speed magazine changes if one expects to survive. Magazine changes are performed while behind cover.

So we're talking about untrained people? I've seen plenty of people who can't even get a magazine in an AK to begin with until you show them the motion.
It takes a hell of a lot more practice to do quick AK magazine insertions than it does to do the same with an AR. (And not have them fall out on the first round) Take someone new to both and you can have them doing well with an AR in 3 days. It takes weeks of constant practice to get the AK method down, and it's still slower.
None of the top 3 gunners are out there winning with AKs. The AR is a superior design.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So we're talking about untrained people? I've seen plenty of people who can't even get a magazine in an AK to begin with until you show them the motion.
It takes a hell of a lot more practice to do quick AK magazine insertions than it does to do the same with an AR. (And not have them fall out on the first round) Take someone new to both and you can have them doing well with an AR in 3 days. It takes weeks of constant practice to get the AK method down, and it's still slower.
None of the top 3 gunners are out there winning with AKs. The AR is a superior design.

3 gun is a game. and while you're practicing your malfunction clearances I'm practicing reloading.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 gun is a game. and while you're practicing your malfunction clearances I'm practicing reloading.

OK. If it's a game, with your malfunction proof AK you ought to be able to beat all those AR shooters who are always clearing malfunctions in their jammomatics. Do it. PROVE IT. It's only a game.
AR vs. AK torture test
Another one

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK. If it's a game, with your malfunction proof AK you ought to be able to beat all those AR shooters who are always clearing malfunctions in their jammomatics. Do it. PROVE IT. It's only a game.
AR vs. AK torture test

Start your own thread, quit derailing this one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Haley is actually get this....slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hi20TI_jA

thats not me btw. i'm not as fast as haley or this guy.

uhhhh...you realize that is haley right there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EpBGu7BqzYk/Tc4UnjHbOaI/AAAAAAAAA24/QNurSMW4Xqg/s320/062110_cat_sht_one_apocalypse_meow_t.jpg

SR-47 used by tier 1 commando bunnies with epic weapons transition and tactical roll skills.

One does not fuck with Perkins.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

there's GREAT variation among mags though, you have to be more specific as to which ones are the most reliable type.

Even in Iraq that was full of shitty AKs, they still managed to have very good magazines, in my experience. Though, they were probably all imported, and it would stand the reason because the Russians made a shitload of them and they're cheap.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a very important point that needs to be made about anytime you talk about the AK. It's basically a SMG on steroids. The Russians like what the did with the PPSH-41 and basically used the same concept and fighting doctrine and upgraded the cartridge to a intermediate cartridge. Just like the PPSH, it was really fast and easy to make, very simple for conscripts to quickly pick up and worked very good in the extreme climate of Russia. Hence why the sights are pretty crappy. It was ment like the old SMGs where you sent wave after wave of Russians armed with full auto weapons, firing like mad men at the enemy and overwhelming them in sheer numbers of automatic fire.

The AK and AR are actually two VERY different rifles because there are two very different philosophies behind them. One is from a rifleman's culture with a strong belief in marksmanship and skill with a rifle. The other is basically just an rifle caliber shooting sub machinegun

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The magazines themselves are cheap, effective and reliable but I have to agree that the rock in and roll out magazine release is an antiquated design. The push button of the AR is far superior. It's one of the few things I don't like about the AK.

But for some reason, in the gun community, I never hear people bitching about that with the FN FAL, M14 and other western created rifles that require magazines to be rocked in.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The butthurt showed up in full force.

It's pretty hilarious. I am 100% an AR guy, I went to Iraq with an M4 and I love the AR. I prefer it.

But I still see the AK as a daaaamn good rifle and you're not going to be "undergunned" anywhere on the planet if you're totting around an AK instead of an AR.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

but the AK started with a reliable and robust magazine.

And piss poor sights and piss poor ergonomics.

For 1947, the ergos were awesome. Short stock, good spacing on the comb, pistol grip, no heavier than it needs to be, intuitive, reliable function (face it - there's nothing intuitive about a charging handle), and the sights are "good enough."

Try this test: Find a 10-year-old in America who has nbever fired a gun before. Should be easy, just ask one of your kids' friends. Hand them a magazine full of dummy rounds and an AK. Tell them to chamber a round and "fire" it. Now do the same with an AR. See which one takes them longer. Now tell them to disassemble them and reassemble them. See which one takes them longer. And American kids even have the "advantage" of modern video games showing them how it's done.

We love the AR because we're familiar with it. It makes sense to us and we can manipulate it without thinking. Take that away, and the AK is the better weapon.

IMHO, the best advantage of the AR pattern is that it offers the best platform available for optics. (A3 profile, at least) There's no easy way to put an EOTech on an AK.

Are you kidding me?  The hypothetical 10 year old can "Slap" an AR mag in.  On an AK, the kid (like every other person I show an AK to) is going to jamb the tab on the the front of the mag right into the little gap above the mag release trying to rock it in... and he is never going to get it loaded as he will not have the strength to bash it out.  That is if he ever figures out the rocking part.   Then when it comes to placing the weapon on fire... he can flip the switch by his thumb on the AR, or eventually figure out the wierd lever on the wrong side of the gun has to be pulled down.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
mitchellh - Hotness.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's also a SIG 55x rifle that takes AK mags.

its a piece of shit though.

Apparently Sig has fixed it's reliabilty problems. Now it is just as "good" as any other Sig 556....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that the mags on the AR pattern rifles was its greatest weakness.

Not only agreed, but absolutely true. Drop a loaded AR mag on it's lips and it most likely is trash. Run over an AK mag with a truck, it still works. Haters gonna hate.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EpBGu7BqzYk/Tc4UnjHbOaI/AAAAAAAAA24/QNurSMW4Xqg/s320/062110_cat_sht_one_apocalypse_meow_t.jpg

SR-47 used by tier 1 commando bunnies with epic weapons transition and tactical roll skills.

One does not fuck with Perkins.

That's what I tried to tell them over in

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1248140_Are_lop_ear_rabbits_good_to_eat_.html&page=2

but no one listens to me.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Isn't there an AR 47 that was made by a smaller company a few years ago?  Had a lower that took standard AK-47 mags, with a 7.62x39 upper?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may "give them away" for such paltry sums (or used to), but I HIGHLY doubt the Russians make modern AKs in Russianr factories for $8 or $9. Don't believe everything you hear. Sure some garage operation in Pakistan might, but not the Russians. IIRC they were complaining about clones or "counterfeits" as they called them, and how much cheaper they were compared to the real deal Russian hardware. I'd check your facts.

A few years ago India was looking at AK pattern rifles. Some unnamed European country offered them at $100, China at $90 a piece.

Just because China can crank out a cheap ass POS AR-15 clone doesn't mean Colt, FN, BCM, LMT, etc can for the same price and still maintain their own quality standards.

A few years ago India was looking at AK pattern rifles. Some unnamed European country offered them at $100, China at $90 a piece.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 3:56:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took the plunge March, 2009 and picked up a M10 from Gander Mountian. The rifle shoots better than I can and brakes down just like an Enfield. Two main reasons I purchased the rifle was; one, it shoots 7.62X39(which I have plenty of), two, it takes AK magazines(which I have plenty of too.) Gotta have a way to use those two items if and when AKs are outlawed. A lot of politicians are kicking themselves in the ass for allowing a sunset provision in 1994 AWB.

M10 goodness
<a href="http://img191.imageshack.us/i/l1030929edited1.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8881/l1030929edited1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030851edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1926/l1030851edited1.jpg</a>

20 round Hungarian mag.

<a href="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030852edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1715/l1030852edited1.jpg</a>

Barrel
<a href="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030842edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6666/l1030842edited1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030843edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9135/l1030843edited1.jpg</a>

Bolt head, spins off just as a real Enfield does

<a href="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030844edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2259/l1030844edited1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030846edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4026/l1030846edited1.jpg</a>

Receiver
<a href="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030847edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2593/l1030847edited1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030848edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9382/l1030848edited1.jpg</a>

Free Floating Barrel

<a href="http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030849edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2441/l1030849edited1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l1030850edited1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7024/l1030850edited1.jpg</a>

Would love to have one of those....what sort or accuracy / range do you get out of it?

Here is the target from the fisrt time I shot the rifle.  I need to spend more time at the range, and I cant remember how much more  the scope tighened up the group. I've only shot it at 50 and 100 yards.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 4:13:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a carbine length SKS-M with a montecarlo type stock that takes AK mags and runs pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#35]
If only they made a semiauto version for us peons....

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I took the plunge March, 2009 and picked up a M10 from Gander Mountian. The rifle shoots better than I can and brakes down just like an Enfield. Two main reasons I purchased the rifle was; one, it shoots 7.62X39(which I have plenty of), two, it takes AK magazines(which I have plenty of too.) Gotta have a way to use those two items if and when AKs are outlawed. A lot of politicians are kicking themselves in the ass for allowing a sunset provision in 1994 AWB.

M10 goodness...

Neat pic's –––––––– Thanks for posting...!

Somehow I bet that if you listed that for sale here it would sell in a matter of seconds...!

No joke, I had a raging woody just looking at the pictures.  I would love to get one of those.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The butthurt showed up in full force.

It's pretty hilarious. I am 100% an AR guy, I went to Iraq with an M4 and I love the AR. I prefer it.

But I still see the AK as a daaaamn good rifle and you're not going to be "undergunned" anywhere on the planet if you're totting around an AK instead of an AR.

Especially if you can aim the goddamn thing!

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If only they made a semiauto version for us peons....

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as77/robarm_m96-3.jpg

What about the XCR?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top