Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Packy says come and try to eat me!

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife raises rabbits to sell for show, 4H and pets.  Not all make the grade as far as show quality so we have periodic population reductions.  Rabbits 12 weeks old or less are really tender and you can cook them like chicken.  The older rabbits are much tougher.  We bone them out and then grind the meat.  I would guess that I butcher 250+ rabbits a year.  Butchered around Labor Day and ended up with almost 100 lbs of ground meat.  Nice to be able to grow your own meat that is lower in fat and cholesterol, and higher in protein than about any other meat you can get.

Really?  Why? Unless someone is a vegetarian what difference does it make if rabbits are eaten?  You are aware (probably not) that more rabbit is eaten in Europe than chicken?  In WW II many families were kept in meat by raising their own rabbits because they were easy to care for, low cost and reproduced rapidly.

My kids don't have a problem with this and help with the butchering. No different than helping clean fish that have been caught.  One time my daughter went out to feed the rabbits, came back in the house shortly after holding her hand.  She had been bitten and was bleeding a little.  My wife asked which one and the daughter told her.  Wife said she planned on selling that one soon.  My daughter's response was "No, let's make sausage out of her".  

Because wabbits are cute.

I'm glad that you are proud of your heartless monsters.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 3:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife raises rabbits to sell for show, 4H and pets.  Not all make the grade as far as show quality so we have periodic population reductions.  Rabbits 12 weeks old or less are really tender and you can cook them like chicken.  The older rabbits are much tougher.  We bone them out and then grind the meat.  I would guess that I butcher 250+ rabbits a year.  Butchered around Labor Day and ended up with almost 100 lbs of ground meat.  Nice to be able to grow your own meat that is lower in fat and cholesterol, and higher in protein than about any other meat you can get.

Really?  Why? Unless someone is a vegetarian what difference does it make if rabbits are eaten?  You are aware (probably not) that more rabbit is eaten in Europe than chicken?  In WW II many families were kept in meat by raising their own rabbits because they were easy to care for, low cost and reproduced rapidly.

My kids don't have a problem with this and help with the butchering. No different than helping clean fish that have been caught.  One time my daughter went out to feed the rabbits, came back in the house shortly after holding her hand.  She had been bitten and was bleeding a little.  My wife asked which one and the daughter told her.  Wife said she planned on selling that one soon.  My daughter's response was "No, let's make sausage out of her".  

Your daughter sounds pretty cool

And can't the fur be used to make warm clothing?
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Here, take my man card.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a great conversation with the future wife about rabbits.

Me: I think we should get some rabbits.
Her: (Excited!!!) What kind? The ones with the floppy ears?
Me: Whatever kind tastes better.
Her: Silence.

Now if we do get rabbits, it has to be that we give the "extras" away for pets and that we will only eat them if the SHTF and we are starving.

Didn't know she had them as pets when she was a kid. FML

DP

I want a Flemish Giant. Told my wife its name will be Lepus. Then I showed her how big they are.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.boingboing.net/images/yetiduck.jpg

Sure they're cute. They're also made out of delicious meat. His "heartless monsters" know that and enjoy the meals the rabbits provide(and that they help prepare)
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Could you cut off the ears and deep fry them?
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a rabbit.  They all taste like one.

This.  Rabbits is rabbits.

LC
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I would tan the hides and make man purses.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always thought Rabbits would be my hard times animal to raise.  They are much easier to clean and process to me.  I like them barbqued.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next time you put on any leather or eat a big mac, eggs,  or bacon just remember you killed an animal you Heartless monster.  You killed a fuckin animal just as sure as you hit them in the head with a sledge hammer you heartless monster.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would tan the hides and make man purses.

Better yet-bunny fur loincloth!
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next time you put on any leather or eat a big mac, eggs,  or bacon just remember you killed an animal you Heartless monster.  You killed a fuckin animal just as sure as you hit them in the head with a sledge hammer you heartless monster.

LMFAO
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But they're not cute, so that's ok.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want a Flemish Giant. Told my wife its name will be Lepus. Then I showed her how big they are.

Hug him and squeeze him and name him George!

ETA:
(I know, I know, this one is a German Giant.  All the giants are pretty much the same.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nyah... What's up, Doc?
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#19]
This woman is about to get mauled:

Unless she's drugged the daylights out of that killer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2950361234_ecbe3ec2e0.jpg

Holy shit
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's an add in the local paper for Free Lop Ear Rabbits. I'm thinking it could fill the freezer, assuming they're any good.

You must be mathematically challenged.  Rabbits multiply.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I raise and sell about 1000 meat rabbits each year.  They are cute but, are mighty tasty and fairly profitable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nyah... What's up, Doc?

It's wabbit season.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2950361234_ecbe3ec2e0.jpg

Holy shit

No, they're more like little brown ball bearings.  That one's a Flemish, BTW.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/giant-rabbit3.jpg
(I know, I know, this one is a German Giant.  All the giants are pretty much the same.)

They get that big in the swamps.  No joke.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucker must be upward of 50 pounds!
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I've eaten plenty of hutch rabbits.  Fry them like you would a chicken, with mashed potatoes and rabbit gravy.  You'll throw fried chicken out and keep the fried rabbit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread is makin' me hungry!

IndustrialRescue, which paper?
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This thread is makin' me hungry!

IndustrialRescue, which paper?

Midland Daily News

www.ourmidland.com
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if you want to judge my kids based on one comment, help yourself. I have tought them to use more critical thinking skills than you seem to posses.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fur from Rex rabbits is very plush and can be made into lots of stuff.  Problem is you have to raise the rabbits to be about 10 months old for the fur to be prime.  10 months is about 7 months too much for the best meat quality so one has to decide if they want the best meat or the best fur.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I raised rabbits for several years until the wild dogs around here got to be too much of a problem. Most of the ones I had were ones I could get for free, so several were lop ears. They taste just as good as any of the others. The ones I had didn't grow as fast as some of the other breeds, but I would just give them a little more time or deal with less meat. The best breed that I found are the ones that are mostly white with black spots. I can't remember the name of the breed right now. They grow really quickly.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fur from Rex rabbits is very plush and can be made into lots of stuff.  Problem is you have to raise the rabbits to be about 10 months old for the fur to be prime.  10 months is about 7 months too much for the best meat quality so one has to decide if they want the best meat or the best fur.

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Jimmy_Carter_in_boat_chasing_away_swimming_rabbit%2C_Plains%2C_Georgia_-_19790420_%28cropped%29.jpg

Haha, that's Jimmy Carter.  That's just a young one too.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll ask my anaconda.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I raise and sell about 1000 meat rabbits each year.  They are cute but, are mighty tasty and fairly profitable.

Which variety?  NZ Whites, one of the giants?
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm in need of a cute fix.

There.  Whew.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Any update on the dinner selection?
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP, you're a genius. I'm going to do this from now on.

No doubt .

They're easy to raise , so if they tasted yummy . . .. continue to breed and eat

Quoted:
Quoted:
There's an add in the local paper for Free Lop Ear Rabbits. I'm thinking it could fill the freezer, assuming they're any good.

Girl I work with put up a "free to good home" bulletin at work, for her pet lop ear rabbit. I promptly put printed out and placed next to every bulletin the recipe for Hasenffefer. She was not amused.

COOK ! ! !

WHERE'S MY LUNCH ?!?!?
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yep. I had one as a pet when I was 10. It bit me so we ate it.

Corporeal punishment
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Where can I learn more about preparing and cooking rabbits?
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#43]
LOL, we raise quite a few rabbits, eat about 100 per year, mostly NZs and Calis, but have been known to eat any and all breeds, including lil old lionheads.

And you know what? They ALL are good eatin'.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#44]
we ate the shit out of a bunch of "pet" type rabbits. They arent as good as wild cotten tails but they were damn tasty. stewed up some of them and we marinated and roasted a couple. Atleast one of them was one of the grey floppy eared ones.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#45]
All rabbits are good to eat, except some range fed Jack Rabbits; depending on what they eat, they can have a foul taste and you have to cook them more as the meat can be stringie.  

If someone is offering free rabbit, I am in!
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
we ate the shit out of a bunch of "pet" type rabbits. They arent as good as wild cotten tails but they were damn tasty. stewed up some of them and we marinated and roasted a couple. Atleast one of them was one of the grey floppy eared ones.

Well, I would prefer to eat the rabbit meat, not the shit... but to each their own, I guess
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top