Page:  / 2
Next Page  
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/2/2011 9:44:56 PM
Older they are, more difficult to skin.
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson
DragoMuseveni
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/2/2011 9:53:41 PM
[Last Edit: 11/2/2011 9:54:21 PM by DragoMuseveni]
Packy says come and try to eat me!

RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/2/2011 10:20:52 PM
Originally Posted By acpchuck:
Originally Posted By RJGatling:
My wife raises rabbits to sell for show, 4H and pets. Not all make the grade as far as show quality so we have periodic population reductions. Rabbits 12 weeks old or less are really tender and you can cook them like chicken. The older rabbits are much tougher. We bone them out and then grind the meat. I would guess that I butcher 250+ rabbits a year. Butchered around Labor Day and ended up with almost 100 lbs of ground meat. Nice to be able to grow your own meat that is lower in fat and cholesterol, and higher in protein than about any other meat you can get.

Really? Why? Unless someone is a vegetarian what difference does it make if rabbits are eaten? You are aware (probably not) that more rabbit is eaten in Europe than chicken? In WW II many families were kept in meat by raising their own rabbits because they were easy to care for, low cost and reproduced rapidly.

My kids don't have a problem with this and help with the butchering. No different than helping clean fish that have been caught. One time my daughter went out to feed the rabbits, came back in the house shortly after holding her hand. She had been bitten and was bleeding a little. My wife asked which one and the daughter told her. Wife said she planned on selling that one soon. My daughter's response was "No, let's make sausage out of her".

Because wabbits are cute.

I'm glad that you are proud of your heartless monsters.
IndustrialRescue
2012 arfcom MI HTF range day event staff
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 7:03:45 AM
My wife raises rabbits to sell for show, 4H and pets. Not all make the grade as far as show quality so we have periodic population reductions. Rabbits 12 weeks old or less are really tender and you can cook them like chicken. The older rabbits are much tougher. We bone them out and then grind the meat. I would guess that I butcher 250+ rabbits a year. Butchered around Labor Day and ended up with almost 100 lbs of ground meat. Nice to be able to grow your own meat that is lower in fat and cholesterol, and higher in protein than about any other meat you can get.

Really? Why? Unless someone is a vegetarian what difference does it make if rabbits are eaten? You are aware (probably not) that more rabbit is eaten in Europe than chicken? In WW II many families were kept in meat by raising their own rabbits because they were easy to care for, low cost and reproduced rapidly.

My kids don't have a problem with this and help with the butchering. No different than helping clean fish that have been caught. One time my daughter went out to feed the rabbits, came back in the house shortly after holding her hand. She had been bitten and was bleeding a little. My wife asked which one and the daughter told her. Wife said she planned on selling that one soon. My daughter's response was "No, let's make sausage out of her".

Your daughter sounds pretty cool

And can't the fur be used to make warm clothing?
You have never made the "O" face till you have made the "O"Possum face.....-hotrod_sxty8
I am a man, and am born with the ability to drive cars, please women, and shoot guns- LibertyDefense
sjuhockey10
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 7:07:01 AM

Here, take my man card.
Proud member of Team Ranstad
Tennessee Squire

"I'm a jackass" -- 82ND-ABN
shack357
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 9:33:10 AM
Originally Posted By DetroitPatriot:
I had a great conversation with the future wife about rabbits.

Me: I think we should get some rabbits.
Her: (Excited!!!) What kind? The ones with the floppy ears?
Me: Whatever kind tastes better.
Her: Silence.

Now if we do get rabbits, it has to be that we give the "extras" away for pets and that we will only eat them if the SHTF and we are starving.

Didn't know she had them as pets when she was a kid. FML

DP

I want a Flemish Giant. Told my wife its name will be Lepus. Then I showed her how big they are.
"The hawk does not fear you, boy, and the hawk never will. The hawk is God's gunslinger." -Stephen King
shack357
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 9:36:08 AM

http://www.boingboing.net/images/yetiduck.jpg

Sure they're cute. They're also made out of delicious meat. His "heartless monsters" know that and enjoy the meals the rabbits provide(and that they help prepare)
"The hawk does not fear you, boy, and the hawk never will. The hawk is God's gunslinger." -Stephen King
LuvBUSHmaster
ESTO VIR "Be a Man"
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 9:36:47 AM

Looks like dinner.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, & start slitting throats" Mencken
mcnizzle
PFL
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 9:42:10 AM
Could you cut off the ears and deep fry them?
Every man dies, but not every man lives
LongueCarabine
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 9:43:16 AM
Originally Posted By Plumbata:
It's a rabbit. They all taste like one.

This. Rabbits is rabbits.

LC
VBC
Iddy Biddy Biddy Commidy
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 9:45:23 AM
I would tan the hides and make man purses.
TEXASROOTERSBROTHER
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 9:57:58 AM

I have always thought Rabbits would be my hard times animal to raise. They are much easier to clean and process to me. I like them barbqued.
Life member NRA, TSRA.
TEXASROOTERSBROTHER
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 10:05:20 AM

Next time you put on any leather or eat a big mac, eggs, or bacon just remember you killed an animal you Heartless monster. You killed a fuckin animal just as sure as you hit them in the head with a sledge hammer you heartless monster.
Life member NRA, TSRA.
shack357
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 10:05:38 AM
[Last Edit: 11/3/2011 10:06:06 AM by shack357]
Originally Posted By VBC:
I would tan the hides and make man purses.

Better yet-bunny fur loincloth!
IndustrialRescue
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:11:40 PM
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:

Next time you put on any leather or eat a big mac, eggs, or bacon just remember you killed an animal you Heartless monster. You killed a fuckin animal just as sure as you hit them in the head with a sledge hammer you heartless monster.

LMFAO
You have never made the "O" face till you have made the "O"Possum face.....-hotrod_sxty8
I am a man, and am born with the ability to drive cars, please women, and shoot guns- LibertyDefense
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:34:26 PM
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:

But they're not cute, so that's ok.
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:35:19 PM
[Last Edit: 11/3/2011 3:38:12 PM by RJGatling]
Originally Posted By shack357:
I want a Flemish Giant. Told my wife its name will be Lepus. Then I showed her how big they are.

Hug him and squeeze him and name him George!

ETA:
(I know, I know, this one is a German Giant. All the giants are pretty much the same.)
IndustrialRescue
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:38:09 PM

Nyah... What's up, Doc?
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:40:09 PM
This woman is about to get mauled:

Unless she's drugged the daylights out of that killer.
IndustrialRescue
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:41:32 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2950361234_ecbe3ec2e0.jpg

Holy shit
BlammO
Onomatopoeia incarnate
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:42:11 PM
Originally Posted By IndustrialRescue:
There's an add in the local paper for Free Lop Ear Rabbits. I'm thinking it could fill the freezer, assuming they're any good.

You must be mathematically challenged. Rabbits multiply.
Never send a man to do a neutron's job. -- BlammO
كافر
Ribs
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:59:12 PM
I raise and sell about 1000 meat rabbits each year. They are cute but, are mighty tasty and fairly profitable.
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:02:09 PM

Nyah... What's up, Doc?

It's wabbit season.
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:03:07 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2950361234_ecbe3ec2e0.jpg

Holy shit

No, they're more like little brown ball bearings. That one's a Flemish, BTW.
VBC
Iddy Biddy Biddy Commidy
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:13:49 PM

ETA: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/giant-rabbit3.jpg
(I know, I know, this one is a German Giant. All the giants are pretty much the same.)

They get that big in the swamps. No joke.
IndustrialRescue
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:18:34 PM

Fucker must be upward of 50 pounds!
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:34:11 PM

jstevens
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:36:49 PM
I've eaten plenty of hutch rabbits. Fry them like you would a chicken, with mashed potatoes and rabbit gravy. You'll throw fried chicken out and keep the fried rabbit.
bikedamon
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:39:29 PM
This thread is makin' me hungry!

IndustrialRescue, which paper?
IndustrialRescue
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 9:13:52 PM
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
This thread is makin' me hungry!

IndustrialRescue, which paper?

Midland Daily News

www.ourmidland.com
acpchuck
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 10:08:30 PM

Well if you want to judge my kids based on one comment, help yourself. I have tought them to use more critical thinking skills than you seem to posses.
acpchuck
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 10:16:53 PM

Fur from Rex rabbits is very plush and can be made into lots of stuff. Problem is you have to raise the rabbits to be about 10 months old for the fur to be prime. 10 months is about 7 months too much for the best meat quality so one has to decide if they want the best meat or the best fur.
Ytka
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 10:22:39 PM
I raised rabbits for several years until the wild dogs around here got to be too much of a problem. Most of the ones I had were ones I could get for free, so several were lop ears. They taste just as good as any of the others. The ones I had didn't grow as fast as some of the other breeds, but I would just give them a little more time or deal with less meat. The best breed that I found are the ones that are mostly white with black spots. I can't remember the name of the breed right now. They grow really quickly.
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 10:39:51 PM

Fur from Rex rabbits is very plush and can be made into lots of stuff. Problem is you have to raise the rabbits to be about 10 months old for the fur to be prime. 10 months is about 7 months too much for the best meat quality so one has to decide if they want the best meat or the best fur.

VBC
Iddy Biddy Biddy Commidy
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/3/2011 11:10:20 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Jimmy_Carter_in_boat_chasing_away_swimming_rabbit%2C_Plains%2C_Georgia_-_19790420_%28cropped%29.jpg

Haha, that's Jimmy Carter. That's just a young one too.
Jeeper21
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/4/2011 12:10:45 AM
I'll ask my anaconda.
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/4/2011 4:39:59 PM
Originally Posted By Ribs:
I raise and sell about 1000 meat rabbits each year. They are cute but, are mighty tasty and fairly profitable.

Which variety? NZ Whites, one of the giants?
RJGatling
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 8:57:15 PM
I'm in need of a cute fix.

There. Whew.
KalihiJack
Load your knives and sharpen your bullets!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:02:07 PM
Any update on the dinner selection?
It's all Milspec, it's gotta be good
ultramagbrion
Guerrilla Machinist
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:04:35 PM
[Last Edit: 11/10/2011 9:09:27 PM by ultramagbrion]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:
OP, you're a genius. I'm going to do this from now on.

No doubt .

They're easy to raise , so if they tasted yummy . . .. continue to breed and eat

Originally Posted By sjerdude:
There's an add in the local paper for Free Lop Ear Rabbits. I'm thinking it could fill the freezer, assuming they're any good.

Girl I work with put up a "free to good home" bulletin at work, for her pet lop ear rabbit. I promptly put printed out and placed next to every bulletin the recipe for Hasenffefer. She was not amused.

COOK ! ! !

WHERE'S MY LUNCH ?!?!?
Proud and grateful sponsor of Team Ranstad and AmericanSnipers.org

Μολὼν λαβέ ~ Percussa Resurgo
Bizzarolibe
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:15:30 PM
Originally Posted By FridgeBrilliance:
Yep. I had one as a pet when I was 10. It bit me so we ate it.

Corporeal punishment
Svetgar
Varian is pro RKBA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:23:45 PM
Where can I learn more about preparing and cooking rabbits?
AFK IRL
Dave15
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:24:49 PM
LOL, we raise quite a few rabbits, eat about 100 per year, mostly NZs and Calis, but have been known to eat any and all breeds, including lil old lionheads.

And you know what? They ALL are good eatin'.
Badlatitude
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:24:49 PM
we ate the shit out of a bunch of "pet" type rabbits. They arent as good as wild cotten tails but they were damn tasty. stewed up some of them and we marinated and roasted a couple. Atleast one of them was one of the grey floppy eared ones.
blah
Palm
Owebama Lied, the Economy Died
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:27:12 PM
All rabbits are good to eat, except some range fed Jack Rabbits; depending on what they eat, they can have a foul taste and you have to cook them more as the meat can be stringie.

If someone is offering free rabbit, I am in!
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
IndustrialRescue
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2011 11:22:09 AM
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
we ate the shit out of a bunch of "pet" type rabbits. They arent as good as wild cotten tails but they were damn tasty. stewed up some of them and we marinated and roasted a couple. Atleast one of them was one of the grey floppy eared ones.

Well, I would prefer to eat the rabbit meat, not the shit... but to each their own, I guess
Page:  / 2
Next Page