Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a dude, you can use this to your advantage with women.  Don't answer all of their questions.  Leave shit open-ended.  That causes them to think about you and what you really meant when you said something.  They go through the machinations in their head over and over and create that same emotional feeling.  Most of them will misinterpret that feeling of confusion as love, and their panties will go flying.

Hm, interesting.  Do you feel this would have the same effect on men, if a woman were to do the same?  Do men not replay situations in their minds?

No. We eat, drink, and be merry. We're men dammit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It's been my experience that all women need drama, and if there is none they'll make it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
To paraphrase a friend of mine...

The female form is proof that God has good taste.  The female psyche is proof that He has a sick sense of humor.

So stealing that!
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is the deal with women, going out of their way, to make themselves unhappy? I have had several female friends and girlfriends who seem to literally search for reasons to be miserable. Saving old texts, emails, letters, photographically recalling arguments from months and years ago (that they typically instigated), and for no constructive purpose, just to be fucking sad. It blows my mind, can someone please enlighten me on the psychology behind this? Because I am at a complete and utter loss.

ETA: Not to mention getting upset over every little thing, didn't say goodbye the right way, didn't call back fast enough, didn't comfort them when they refuse to tell you why they're upset in the first place, these are all things I've had women start tearing up over... WTF?

The part in red really pisses me off.  First off let me say that my wife is a good woman and I wouldn't want to be without her but shes does this to me every time she gets upset about something.  I finally decided it's never going to change so I ask her twice and if she doesn't tell me I continue about my business.  There's no point trying to figure out a woman's thought process.  I just roll with it as best I can.

I had a similar conversation with my ex back when we were married. I had come home from work and she was sitting on the couch, and had that "I'm mad at you" expression on her face. When I asked her what was wrong, she replied with "nothing!"...in that tone of voice that says that something is wrong. I went on about my merry way, and asked her again awhile later after the kids were settled into bed. Same reply. So, I took a shower and went to bed, at around 2130.

At 2330, she TURNS THE FUCKING LIGHT ON and wakes me up! She tells me that she is upset with me and that "we need to talk about it". I look at the clock, look at her, and tell her that if it is not important enough to talk about when I ask her what is wrong, then it can wait until the morning, as I have to get up at 0630 to go to work.

Her reply: "Well, I am mad at you and my momma told me that you should never go to bed angry with your spouse."
My reply: "Well, I am not mad...yet...so I am going to sleep. Again, if it is not important enough to talk about before 2200, then it can wait; New House Rule!"
Her: "You can't do that!"
Me: "I pay the damned bills here, so yes, I can! If you don't like it, go sleep on the damned couch, and turn off the light on your way out!"
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Misery loves company
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Part of it is that some people are addicted to "feeling."  They re-hash shit over and over and over because it causes some sort of emotional response.  It's kind of like the way that meditation/prayer stimulates the limbic nervous system.  

As a dude, you can use this to your advantage with women.  Don't answer all of their questions.  Leave shit open-ended.  That causes them to think about you and what you really meant when you said something.  They go through the machinations in their head over and over and create that same emotional feeling.  Most of them will misinterpret that feeling of confusion as love, and their panties will go flying.

Or they're fucking crazy.  I don't know.

All the other reasons above in this thread play into it as well. Attention whoring, depression, passive-aggressive "victim empowerment" etc. can all play into why women will re-hash issues and intentionally put themselves into emotional drama situations, and will intentionally re-visit them.

However, the part above in bold is the closest answer yet. The people "addicted to feeling" are called women.

Everyone is different, and we're all kind of on a bell curve, and there's plenty of women who are more logical than some men, and some men are more emotional than some women. However, if you were to plot it out on a graph with two lines, one for men, and one for women, there would be two distinct side-by-side humps.

It's well known that women tend to process things, situations, just life more emotionally, and men to process things more logically. Often emotional processing does not even have an end-game or goal in mind, the point is to simply stir the pot and "feel" things until the emotions are satisfied.

My personal thought is that this is a holdover from neolithic times, when the division of labor, and type of tasks men and women did was much more well defined. The men, dealing with hunting and defense, and heavier labor, moving rocks, trees or whatever tended to be more logical and deliberate in their thinking. Also, these tasks were sometimes more independent, and results oriented. Even when it was done as a group, being the best was important for status within the tribe etc. And as such, men didn't have as much of a need for emotional processing.

"My spear missed the mastodon. Will Grog, the chief be pissed at me, and not let me on the next hunt? Yes/No..." etc. Pretty simple. Also, with men, if someone doesn't like you, like say your boss... if he's not going to fire you, or give you shit jobs, or treat you unfairly, your average man couldn't give a shit one way or another, as long as his job isn't in danger.

"The boss hates me. Is he going to fire me? Yes/No..." that's it.

A woman in the same situation, on the other hand is likely to obsess about this. "Why does her boss hate her? What do the other people at work think about her? What do the other people at work think about what the boss thinks?" round and round it goes...

And I think that plays into the food gathering and child rearing back at the cave the women did. It was a much more cooperative activity, they spent more time in close quarters with each other, and often relied on each other for things that may be individually unimportant, but taken as a whole, would greatly impact your chances for survival. So women became much more emotionally sensitive, not only about themselves, but others too, maintaining a constant monitor of the emotional pulse of the tribe to keep things going and sticking together.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
It's the same reason why prefer to date D-Bags instead of someone who will treat them with respect.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been contemplating the same thing lately. It baffles me as to why they find reasons to be upset or make poor choices and then complain about being miserable
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I suspect Deej probably has been in a similar circumstance.

I've never brought up stuff but I have had ex-girlfriends bring up stuff.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me: "I pay the damned bills here, so yes, I can! If you don't like it, go sleep on the damned couch, and turn off the light on your way out!"

My wife really dislikes sleeping alone, so all I have to do is threaten to sleep on the couch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WTF is the deal with women, going out of their way, to make themselves unhappy? I have had several female friends and girlfriends who seem to literally search for reasons to be miserable. Saving old texts, emails, letters, photographically recalling arguments from months and years ago (that they typically instigated), and for no constructive purpose, just to be fucking sad. It blows my mind, can someone please enlighten me on the psychology behind this? Because I am at a complete and utter loss.

ETA: Not to mention getting upset over every little thing, didn't say goodbye the right way, didn't call back fast enough, didn't comfort them when they refuse to tell you why they're upset in the first place, these are all things I've had women start tearing up over... WTF?

Most women are fucking retarded?
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Many people, both male and female, grow up in very miserable circumstances, and know misery better than any other mode of existence.  Though they might be rationally aware that there's a better way to be, and of what they need to do to get there, they may, intermittently or consistently, seek the queer solace of their comfort zone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Many people, both male and female, grow up in very miserable circumstances, and know misery better than any other mode of existence.  Though they might be rationally aware that there's a better way to be, and of what they need to do to get there, they may, intermittently or consistently, seek the queer solace of their comfort zone.

The problem is when rational people have to suffer from the repercussions of the "drama insistent" peoples actions
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Because women are different.  If you are expecting a partner to be the same as you, then you might be gay.

This... You dont ahve to UNDERSTAND it..you do however have to deal with it. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well put sir. This is an excellent explanation to much of the behavior discussed in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect Deej probably has been in a similar circumstance.

I've never brought up stuff but I have had ex-girlfriends bring up stuff.  

Maybe I should clarify; when they have initiated a new argument based on an old argument, or tried to drag elements of an old argument into a current argument, it has never gone the way they planned.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish I had an answer for this...I actually had a discussion about it with another woman this week and neither one of us could say why...women are more prone to depression than men too...some days I am up...others not...I just try to get through those dark spells as best I can.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Because women are stupid.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Deep down, every single woman is a stripper.

Not in regards to occupation.....

WOMEN LOGIC : SHAVE EYEBROWS OFF - DRAW THEM BACK ON
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Men socialize by insulting each other, but they don't really mean it.
Women socialize by complimenting each other, and they don't really mean it either.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Men socialize by insulting each other, but they don't really mean it.
Women socialize by complimenting each other, and they don't really mean it either.....

SO true.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hm, interesting.  Do you feel this would have the same effect on men, if a woman were to do the same?  Do men not replay situations in their minds?

Not really.  In most circumstances, men make a conclusion and move on.  I'm not saying it can't happen.  When I first started dating this Asian chick, we were talking about restaurants, and she said, "God, I love to eat meat."  I went over that in my head many times before I whipped it out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Men are stupid, women are crazy.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They want drama.

Then let the women go hunt the mastodons for a bit.  Being charged by a 6000 pound hairy elephant should be enough drama for a few months...

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're probably close to being right with this assessment.

I will add a point of confusion.

The GF makes a mistake. She apologizes for it. I offer a solution or alternate method that will help to avoid the same mistake in the future. Mistake happens again. She apologizes again. She then complains that she doesn't like being wrong, doesn't like apologizing for the same thing over and over, and doesn't like making the same mistake over and over.

Okay, great, I offered an alternative, or several. Try it, what do you have to lose?

Nope. Continues same behavior.

I'm at the point where I say you have no right to complain about your situation if you have the ability to change it and choose not to.

Someone once said that insanity is best defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I can agree with that completely.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was not a problem in primitive times since the men would beat the women if they got out of hand.

<Goes to make popcorn>

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Women get old
Men get distinguished
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was not a problem in primitive times since the men would beat the women if they got out of hand.

<Goes to make popcorn>

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IBTL

IBPJ

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Because they want their life to be a reality show.
ETA:  And not ALL women of course... (I see Jane's here )
Amazing how complicated we've made our lives from not just following the standard set of marriage vows...
So hard to just get two people to live with and for each other, to take care of each other, to be honest with each other.    It's so simple most people just can't bring themselves to believe it.

It should be THIS simple:

How I wish, how I wish you were here....

We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl

Year after year

Running over the same old ground

What have we found?

The same old fears..

Wish you were here

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#31]
It's their DNA.  They can't help it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's called Depression.

Women suffer it a lot!

This is the truest thing I have ever read on here. My advice would be to find a girl that knows she has a problem and is taking healthy steps to correct it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

They don't want misery.

They want drama.

They just don't understand that drama leads to misery.

This, they like the drama

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Paging Swingset...
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With the very high percentage of Arfcommers here that walk around every day looking for something to pissed off about, ranting about every little thing, perceiving seemingly everything as a personal slight or affront - a LOT of you have a lot of nerve to point fingers.

So true.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My beloved wife tried to make me miserable yesterday..........she was cranky.

I went out of the house and had a few drinks at my buddy's house.

It made her more angry with me.  

You tried...
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Wanna fight fire with nuclear warheads full of poisonous scorpions???

Calmly, but sternly refuse to fight, smile and ask what you can do for them. Risky, I know. But trust me- they wont ask you to do anything. Your cooperation.. It infuriates them. A day later YOU can remind them how YOU tried not to fight.

Reverse martyrdom. Win.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe women are more nutz now because of more single parent homes?
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Attention.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#40]
There are a lot of men that want to be miserable all the time too. This site is full of them. Many people simply can't be happy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's the same reason why prefer to date D-Bags instead of someone who will treat them with respect.

I
know two young, beautiful, intelligent women who are married to
complete assholes who treat them like shit. I've never understood that.
Oh well. It's their life.

Quoted:

There are a lot of men that want to be miserable all the time too. This site is full of them. Many people simply can't be happy.

This
is true. Most of my friends were like that. I got tired of the constant
negativity and slowly stopped associating with them.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Why is up?

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I wish I had an answer for this...I actually had a discussion about it with another woman this week and neither one of us could say why...women are more prone to depression than men too...some days I am up...others not...I just try to get through those dark spells as best I can.

You need Jesus Christ of Nazareth in your life.  He'll send a helper to fix that depression right on up, and for good.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Moody loners with assault rifles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#45]
We have cars, trucks, guns and sports.  They have vaginas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Modern women have the luxury of being bored. They have to fill their time with something.

There you go.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's part of the natural female mechanism. Women are by their very nature miserable creatures. If you bleed for 7 days every month and didn't die you would be pissy as well.

Very few women can even get along with each other.

Then they see their husbands, dads, boyfriends for all practical purposes get along with each other as men do and don't like what they see.

Their natural lot in life is to make is to make us as miserable as they are. Unfortunately it works most of the time.

I've seen many a bumber sticker saying Wife and Dog missing, Reward for Dog. It's just the natural process of the male female relationship.

How many species are monogamous? Not many, probably the reason why. Out in the wild the females would be killed and eaten if the won't shut up. We don't REALLY have that option.

well put

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#48]

I could watch that for hours.

I think the answer lies in the fact that so many people today (mostly women but a lot of men) feel that they need to process their feelings and get emotional about things.  Men are better (not all, but most) are better at thinking through a situation analytically and figuring out what needs to be done, and then doing it.  Women need to get emotional about it, need to feel their way around it.

This says it better than I can: Rocco's Rant
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Women's bodies are subject to more volatile hormonal swings than men, and on a regular basis.  This would leave women more susceptible to hormonal imbalances.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#50]
they got the crazy. all you need to know
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top