User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had no idea that anti-venom was so expensive. Interesting... Remind me to not get bit by any snakes, I don't think I have $20,000 available on my FSA.

Many bills end up being well into six digits after transport, hospital stay, etc.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you get bit by a Coral Snake down here, you are screwed. All the antivenin is gone.

Where's here? Florida as a whole? Or your area?

Shands at UF has some on hand, last coral snake bite we transported, they indicated to us they had two vials on hand, which is what they normally keep on hand for coral snakes... the patent took both!

If more was needed....shandscare would have either hauled ass to shands jacks or to tallahasse to get more.

Miami-dade fire rescue also has 'Venom-1".....Thank god for these guys!

Venom-1
I thought that it had all expired in an no more was coming in. How long ago was the bite?

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'll just make that fucking snake bite me twice.  That should work, right?

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
GrayMan

Have you ever dealt with any exotic bites?

I had thought about trying to go through the hoops to import the Bioclon Antivipmyn at one point.

It covers the neotropical snakes, but I think it also covers the North American crotalids as well. From what I've read it is supposed to work better than CroFab and runs ~$80 a vial. I think its horse serum though.

I wish our FDA would approve it or have a process in place to make some of these foreign medicines a little easier to get.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's expensive, it has a limited shelf-life, and it's hardly ever needed.

Yep... like $2000-per-vial expensive... and a symptomatic bite will frequently require 10-12 vials minimum... some require much more.

And plenty of people who get themselves bitten?  A lot of them are uninsured.  Also, if they have an upper-extremity bite, they're also frequently drunk.

I don't know what the reimbursement is like for a snake-bite injury in an insured patient (it's been a while since I've had one, frankly...), but I wouldn't be surprised if the hospital thought it was too expensive to keep the stuff on-hand.  They might be better-off financially to transfer that patient to a center that does stock the anti-venom, so that the larger facility can eat the loss.

In my worst month, I treated three symptomatic rattlesnake bites, and since I was on the P&T committee for the hospital, I was treated to a lot of complaining from the pharmacy folks.  

It seems I blew their budget for the month.

Many of the hospitals in this area have sort of a "gentlemen's agreement" to assist in supplying each other in case of a serious snakebite.  They keep minimum amounts on hand, will borrow from other hospitals and reimburse them in kind if they have to use theirs.

LC
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a very informative thread.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Because only stupid people get bit by snakes, in my experience.

They never have insurance and are always wearing a sleevless shirt and camo ball cap - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bless their hearts.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes a good case for self-immunization with dilute venoms.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Did y'all cover the short shelf life of anti-venom, high cost of product, and the fact that very few poisonous snake bites occur in the U.S. per capita?

Anti-Venom can be acquired in less than 2 hours air flight now and a patient can be held stable until it is made available.
Modern medicine, it's da BOMB!
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

GrayMan

I had thought about trying to go through the hoops to import the Bioclon Antivipmyn at one point.

It covers the neotropical snakes, but I think it also covers the North American crotalids as well. From what I've read it is supposed to work better than CroFab and runs ~$80 a vial. I think its horse serum though.

I wish our FDA would approve it or have a process in place to make some of these foreign medicines a little easier to get.
Good   question. A guy was bit by a wild Green Mamba down here a few years ago. I wonder what they gave him.

To this date no one is missing a Green Mamba and they never found the snake.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Just fuckin walk it off....geez Luise there are some soft cocks in this world.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GrayMan

Good question. A guy was bit by a wild Green Mamba down here a few years ago. I wonder what they gave him.

Florida.  Is it the snake capital of the US?  Must be some southern state, I'd bet.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Florida.  Is it the snake capital of the US?  Must be some southern state, I'd bet.

Pretty sure Florida is a southern State, but I guess I better double check.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Girl got bitten by rattler here in Oregon the other day. $15,000 hospital bill,..........$73,000 for anti venom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.katu.com/news/local/131900343.html
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is great, coming from the guy who has Death Adders and Eastern Browns and Tiger snakes and Taipans and shit in his backyard.  

I don't envy you Aussies, what with all the hellspawn kill-you-dead creatures y'all have.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
just as likely to die from AV as you are from the bite
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They never have insurance and are always wearing a sleevless shirt and camo ball cap - not that there's anything wrong with that.

you are a dumbass, some people have to work in places where there are snakes,
  and where there is tall grass or a lot of brush you can't see them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
GrayMan

Good question. A guy was bit by a wild Green Mamba down here a few years ago. I wonder what they gave him.

South Florida is the main port through which most exotic animals come into the US for the pet trade. Lots of big importers and wholesalers.

Hurricane Andrew damaging Glade's Herp Farm is most likely the reason we have all of the Burmese in the Everglades today. It supposedly released thousands.

I remember reading about the mamba bite on another forum.  Pretty scary. I think that is the first recorded instance of a released exotic biting someone. Kind of suprising considering all the stuff that is out there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is great, coming from the guy who has Death Adders and Eastern Browns and Tiger snakes and Taipans and shit in his backyard.  

I don't envy you Aussies, what with all the hellspawn kill-you-dead creatures y'all have.

Hehe, I knew a guy in PA that used to keep a pair of Death Adders in tupperware, with a brick on top, sitting on a lawn chair in his garage.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Australia.

Land of poisonous everything and bird eating spiders. Fuck that............
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's expensive, it has a limited shelf-life, and it's hardly ever needed.

bingo.   second reply.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Australia.

Land of poisonous everything and bird eating spiders. Fuck that............

A pet honey badger or mongoose would be a helluva lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Stalker!
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I took care of a guy about 3 months ago who got bitten by a huge tarantula from India and Sri Lanka. Apparently, he raises and sells/trades exotic spiders. This sucker was about 10" with the legs and bit him on the finger. It's fairly poisonous, but there have never been any reported fatalities. Unfortunately, there's no anti-venom for it. He was having severe, stabbing, burning pain all the way up his arm. Nausea, diarrhea, headache, rapid heartbeat, sweats, the whole deal. I got the species name and called poison control. They told me that you just treat the symptoms, cover for infection and tetanus, and wait for him to get better. We loaded him up on Valium, Percocet, antibiotics, tetanus shot, and nausea pills.
I saw him a couple of weeks ago. He was all better, but said that his arm hurt for about two weeks.

The weird part is this: He came in with his girlfriend, and she seemed like a very nice, pleasant, attractive, normal person. I asked her, "So, you actually sleep in the same house as this spider? How many spiders does he have?"
Her: "200".

Me: "What?!?!?!?!? I don't even want to live in the same zip code as your house." All the while I'm thinking that we need to lift off and nuke the site from orbit.

The spider was a Poecilotheria Pederseni. You can find it on Wikipedia. If I ever see one, it's going to require a 12 Gauge with Buckshot to take it down.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It's fucking expensive, it has a limited shelf-life, and it's hardly ever needed.

fixed

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you get bit by a poisonous snake the best thing you can do is hit the area with a high voltage shock such as from a stun gun, cattle prod, grill igniter, or from the ignition system from a gasoline engine. Strangely enough it is much more effective than antivenom. They believe the high voltage breaks down the venom. A high voltage shock only works though if you can do it before the venom has a chance to spread.

Outdoor Life magazine bullshit is what that is.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I took care of a guy about 3 months ago who got bitten by a huge tarantula from India and Sri Lanka. Apparently, he raises and sells/trades exotic spiders. This sucker was about 10" with the legs and bit him on the finger. It's fairly poisonous, but there have never been any reported fatalities. Unfortunately, there's no anti-venom for it. He was having severe, stabbing, burning pain all the way up his arm. Nausea, diarrhea, headache, rapid heartbeat, sweats, the whole deal. I got the species name and called poison control. They told me that you just treat the symptoms, cover for infection and tetanus, and wait for him to get better. We loaded him up on Valium, Percocet, antibiotics, tetanus shot, and nausea pills.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago. He was all better, but said that his arm hurt for about two weeks.

The weird part is this: He came in with his girlfriend, and she seemed like a very nice, pleasant, attractive, normal person. I asked her, "So, you actually sleep in the same house as this spider? How many spiders does he have?"

Her: "200".
Me: "What?!?!?!?!? I don't even want to live in the same zip code as your house." All the while I'm thinking that we need to lift off and nuke the site from orbit.

The spider was a Poecilotheria Pederseni. You can find it on Wikipedia. If I ever see one, it's going to require a 12 Gauge with Buckshot to take it down.

I love reptiles...but cannot stand spiders....my ex wife had a Haplopelma lividum (Cobalt Blue Tarantula) that she wanted for her birthday, and I located her one. That SOB would flat charge me, and strike at me....never tried to run away...Oh No! He was out for my ass!  I hate spiders with a passion, not enough fire in the world for the things.

-PC-
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you get bit by a Coral Snake down here, you are screwed. All the antivenin is gone.

Actually coral snake venom is neurotoxic only, it has no hemotoxic or cytotoxic components that destroy tissue like most other snake venoms have.  You die when your brain can't signal your heart to beat or tell your lungs to inhale and exhale. Why spend huge amounts of money on an expensive drug with only one use when you can just put the guy on a heart-lung machine that has many other uses until the venom clears out of his system and he can breathe by himself again?

The reason it is gone is that it is too cost-prohibitive to make and very few people in the US get bitten by coral snakes.  Coral snakes generally eat nothing but other snakes, making feeding them expensive and they deliver such tiny amounts of venom, that producing antivenin for them is a financially losing game.

Most hospitals across the US do stock some of the polyvalent stuff and the ones in major cities with zoos stock much more than that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's fucking expensive, it has a limited shelf-life, and is needed due to the 8000 or so bites per year in the US

fixed

Fixed again.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Depending on the snake, the cure is worse than the disease. For the rest who the fuck knows?

Edited

TOOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE!!!!!!!!!!!! My brain hurts after reading the thread..

Financial advice, don't get bit by a snake....it'll break your piggy bank.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Depending on the snake, the cure is worse than the disease. For the rest who the fuck knows?

Edited

The appropriate gaiters, boots, or chaps are a hell of a lot cheaper than an ER visit, even if you don't need the anti-venom.  Hell, you could even get a Taurus Judge or one of those .45/.410 derringers in addition to the protective garments and still be money ahead compared to an ER visit for a snakebite.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
GrayMan

At certain times you can find more venomous snakes in an hour in some places here than you can in any southern state.  The southern states just have more species.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It does, doesn't it?  Right up until nobody wants to pay for your wonderful product.

Best stick to helping old geezers get it up.  They'll pay for that.

Are you suggesting that inventing a product which has improved the quality of life of millions and millions of people is somehow not a worthy activity, and that the invention and sale of a product that would maybe improve the lives of a tiny minority of people would be somehow morally superior?

Sounds like some bullshit to me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you get bit by a poisonous snake the best thing you can do is hit the area with a high voltage shock such as from a stun gun, cattle prod, grill igniter, or from the ignition system from a gasoline engine. Strangely enough it is much more effective than antivenom. They believe the high voltage breaks down the venom. A high voltage shock only works though if you can do it before the venom has a chance to spread.

Can you cite any studies that show that

I could swear that I read something about denaturing venom with electricity in one of my textbooks recently. I'm not about to go look it up to try and find it though. I'm burned out on reading hundreds of pages of text a day.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I do a great deal of work for our local hospital, and I've gotten to know the head pharmacist really well over the years.  One morning I was near the main pharmacy, and he disposed of approximately $50k worth of expired anti-venom.  I knew that the stuff was pricey, but he told me it would have amounted to only about half the needed dose for a serious bite.  He said disposing of the anti-venom due to expiration is way more common than actually using it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ed

The appropriate gaiters, boots, or chaps are a hell of a lot cheaper than an ER visit, even if you don't need the anti-venom.  Hell, you could even get a Taurus Judge or one of those .45/.410 derringers in addition to the protective garments and still be money ahead compared to an ER visit for a snakebite.

*Disclaimer American products that are snake proof, are not necessarily adequate protection from  Gabies (Gaboon vipers), Puff Adders, Rhinoceros Vipers, etc. not too mention many arboreal species whiich are more likely to bite you above the waist, due to the environment in which they live. *

In America however, and in snake country, they are a good idea.

-PC-
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1

The cutting-X's-and-sucking-out-the-venom thing is worse than worthless... it actually causes further harm.

glad you posted this––the only procedure i knew was slit/suck/constrictor.  for all the medical professionals in the thread, what is the preferred procedure when medical help is not immediately available––just a constrictor band?

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

The cutting-X's-and-sucking-out-the-venom thing is worse than worthless... it actually causes further harm.

glad you posted this––the only procedure i knew was slit/suck/constrictor.  for all the medical professionals in the thread, what is the preferred procedure when medical help is not immediately available––just a constrictor band?

No constriction is best.  I don't think it would even help you much with the neurotoxic US species such as coral snakes unless you are already showing symtoms.  It might help with the mojave rattlesnake bites from west of central AZ, but it will also help do a lot of damage at the same time.

Constriction can help with neurotoxic snakes with very fast acting venom, like Indian cobras.

For most US species, just get to a hospital as quick as you can w/o over-exerting yourself.  Record the time of the bite, and if you want to be really pro-active, mark the extent of swelling with a pen at regular timed intervals, like every 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

No constriction is best.  I don't think it would even help you much with the neurotoxic US species such as coral snakes.  It might help with the mojave rattlesnake bites from west of central AZ, but it will also help do a lot of damage at the same time.

Constriction can help with neurotoxic snakes with very fast acting venom, like Indian cobras.

For most US species, just get to a hospital as quick as you can w/o over-exerting yourself.  Record the time of the bite, and if you want to be really pro-active, mark the extent of swelling with a pen at regular timed intervals, like every 15 minutes.

If the "just walk it off" policy isnt for you, restriction is the preferred method in Australia. As in wrap the limb in a bandage. Also a cell phone pic of the offending snake is a help. Just get to a hospital and she'll be right. Its normally only old or the young that die.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Thank gawd we stock all we need out here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

No constriction is best.  I don't think it would even help you much with the neurotoxic US species such as coral snakes.  It might help with the mojave rattlesnake bites from west of central AZ, but it will also help do a lot of damage at the same time.

If the "just walk it off" policy isnt for you, restriction is the preferred method in Australia. As in wrap the limb in a bandage. Also a cell phone pic of the offending snake is a help. Just get to a hospital and she'll be right. Its normally only old or the young that die.

A lot of those would fall under what I would consider the fast acting neurotoxins.  A pressure bandage makes more sense for some of your species than others, but it it does for the majority of more dangerous ones.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Florida. Is it the snake capital of the US? Must be some southern state, I'd bet.

Try reading what I wrote... a bit slower this time.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are a dumbass, some people have to work in places where there are snakes,
  and where there is tall grass or a lot of brush you can't see them.

The intelligent folks can work in those circumstances their whole lives and never have a problem.
Where'd you get bit?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's here? Florida as a whole? Or your area?

Shands at UF has some on hand, last coral snake bite we transported, they indicated to us they had two vials on hand, which is what they normally keep on hand for coral snakes... the patent took both!

If more was needed....shandscare would have either hauled ass to shands jacks or to tallahasse to get more.

Miami-dade fire rescue also has 'Venom-1".....Thank god for these guys!
Venom-1
I thought that it had all expired in an no more was coming in. How long ago was the bite?

Last month.....

The info I mentioned above was told to me by the lead medic who transported the patient, when he got back into quarters... this is what the ER staff told him.

Funny thing about this story.... was the patient and his wife kept the thing for a pet, in the house in an aquarium... As the medics where working on the patient, and getting fire control to see which hospital had anti venom, we asked the wife where the snake was for positive ID... She said "In here!" and walked us into the living room.... Were she proceeded to dig around the leaves they had piled in to the aquarium, my partner grabbed her hand and said, "Get your damn hand out of there and find a stick... what's wrong with you!" Anyhow... it was a positive ID as a coral....

The patient.... on the way to the ER... was asked about a missing finger on his right hand... he said years ago he had a pet alligator.

Then the fool said... he was going to get rid of the coral snake, because it wasn't nice... and try and find a rattle snake when he got out of the hospital.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:20:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

if you get bit by a coral snake you either  A. Had to work at it real hard as in dumb ass hard. or B. Are a child who wasn't taught better.

Coral snakes are non aggressive in the extreme and lacking true fangs they have to latch on and let their venom flow down their teeth. Also the coral snake has such a tiny mouth that fingers/toes are about the only place they can get a good bite at.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you get bit by a coral snake you either  A. Had to work at it real hard as in dumb ass hard. or B. Are a child who wasn't taught better.

Coral snakes are non aggressive in the extreme and lacking true fangs they have to latch on and let their venom flow down their teeth. Also the coral snake has such a tiny mouth that fingers/toes are about the only place they can get a good bite at.

Yea... the fool in the story above, let the thing crawl around under his shirt.

The only other coral snake bite I responded too was a , "Here.... Hold my beer and watch this!"
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top