Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Geez they still haven't found the girl that got dragged out of her house yet?

They're concentrating on important stuff like making sure they get their 10%.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a lot of plants.  I wonder how many acres that covered?

Rough estimates are the operation was spread out over ~5 miles.

I know the area where the fields were.  Very rural and unserved by paved roads.  Great whitetail hunting to be had.

I bet those were the most mellow deer on Earth.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good lord...how does someone expect to keep that many plants a secret? Wow.

Well, first it apparently put quite a few people to work judging by the barracks, showers, and other ammenities at the site.  Who wants to lose a good paying job?

Second, there's that whole concern about not waking up the next morning.

The guy that dropped the dime was a local.  

Wonder what his reward was.

a quick trip to visit the U.S. Marshals office to get a new name

In some of those rural areas of TN, KY, WV, that would be a very good idea.  Them boys don't screw around.

Oh, and this was probably one of the better places of employment in the county.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the area where the fields were.  Very rural and unserved by paved roads.  Great whitetail hunting to be had.

I bet those were the most mellow deer on Earth.

addicted deer.  Those poor bastards will be robbing, raping, pillaging like no tomorrow now that they can't get their fix.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Good lord...how does someone expect to keep that many plants a secret? Wow.

Well, first it apparently put quite a few people to work judging by the barracks, showers, and other ammenities at the site.  Who wants to lose a good paying job?

Second, there's that whole concern about not waking up the next morning.

The guy that dropped the dime was a local.  

Wonder what his reward was.

a quick trip to visit the U.S. Marshals office to get a new name

In some of those rural areas of TN, KY, WV, that would be a very good idea.  Them boys don't screw around.

Oh, and this was probably one of the better places of employment in the county.

Obion County has the second highest unemployment in the state at just shy of 18%.

So yeah, this operation probably directly employed 30 people and indirectly employed 100s.

As far the place and type of folks...where the bust occurred is some very rural living.  Most of the folks there are good people, but they'd definitely kill you for taking away their livelihood.  Plenty of places around here for somebody to get disappeared.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Goddamned revenuers.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Just stop the war on drugs and tax these people
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do they know the plants would produce that much?

They don't. Estimates of drug value are almost always vastly overstated.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
We've been watching this on the news for a couple of nights. It's just south of me across the KY/TN state line. Pretty sophisticated operation they had setup.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Billy Bob is gonna be pissed!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Won't this just make the demand for pot from Mexico greater?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Goddamned revenuers.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]
One, Two, three, four,................who exactly counted the dang plants or did they most likely pull the numbers from their asses just like they do the "value" of the plants.

Good bust but I laugh at the "estimates" the top cops put up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Weed turns people into madmen who drag innocent girls from their homes, so this is really more important than finding that one guy.

Chess, not checkers, people.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a big patch.   Wonder who/what was downwind of the burn.

They did it early this morning.

My little brother's an A&D/Psych who works with a for-profit counseling center.  He's the one who called to tell me about the helicopters and burn pile.  I told him he shoulda lined up all the anxiety disorders outside and had them walk downwind from the burn.

There's a plan, Stan.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Won't this just make the demand for pot from Mexico greater?

yes.. but at least that way the .gov gets their cut.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't get how any rational thinking person would not avoid large operations like that.  Law agencies use planes and they also use the National Guard to spot.  

I don 't like LEO getting a reward for doing their job.  This can lead to problems.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
These threads make the dopers cry.

They make many of us non-dopers cry too. Mostly over the wasted money, man power and liberty it takes to make not one small dent in drug consumption in the US.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

'Popcorn' seemed like a fun guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Sutton

Good sense of humor too.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
These threads make the dopers cry.

They make many of us non-dopers cry too. Mostly over the wasted money, man power and liberty it takes to make not one small dent in drug consumption in the US.

+1.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Them deer won't be near as docile now.

Killin' and murderin' to feed their pot addiction.  I can see it now.  Woods won't be safe for anybody.

I saw a dead deer in a pot field once, the needle full of marijuana was still in his arm.

Ha, that's rich right there.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Shoulda just paid this:

I called the family to see if it was anyone we knew.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shoulda just paid this:
http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345157c669e20120a4d72f1a970b-250wi

No arrests yet.

My cousin in-law said he's been on the site before.  Said the reports are slightly exxagerated.  He said it was a huge operation, but he didn't think it was 362,000 plants big.  He figured maybe 2/3rds that size.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Thats alot of dope!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

funny (well not really) but I was thinking the same thing when I saw her picture. I remember the thread about her.

that is very sad

as for the grow house that is one large operation. Reminds me of the guy that had done this many years ago also in a cave but not as large. They found him because he stole power.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

How many people were killed by this grow operation compared to the Mexican cartels that will absorb the demand for product?

How do you know it wasn't a grow operation funded by the Mexican cartels? They have hired muscle in the USA to assassinate people and they got lots of other people working for them in the USA with distribution and all that. It's pretty plausible to me.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoulda just paid this:
http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345157c669e20120a4d72f1a970b-250wi

No arrests yet.

My cousin in-law said he's been on the site before.  Said the reports are slightly exxagerated.  He said it was a huge operation, but he didn't think it was 362,000 plants big.  He figured maybe 2/3rds that size.

Of course. Him and his buddies lifted some.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whew, thank God. I'm sure we're all a lot safer now.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Them deer won't be near as docile now.

Killin' and murderin' to feed their pot addiction.  I can see it now.  Woods won't be safe for anybody.

I saw a dead deer in a pot field once, the needle full of marijuana was still in his arm.

Ha, that's rich right there.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm sorry about this hijack.  The latest info on Holly Bobo.....

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20111013/NEWS25/110130314/Holly-Bobo-s-family-questions-early-handling-investigation?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Well Goodyear did shut down this year!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Jesus wept.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Don't fret, sugar, they all went home safe and got a good workout day in the fields!  Just have dinner ready...  

OR,

That's right, bitch, price of the devil weed is gonna skyrocket!  We  musta wiped out half the crop in this state!  We bad...
What?  Shitload more?
Oh...

We still bad...  

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many people were killed by this grow operation compared to the Mexican cartels that will absorb the demand for product?

How do you know it wasn't a grow operation funded by the Mexican cartels? They have hired muscle in the USA to assassinate people and they got lots of other people working for them in the USA with distribution and all that. It's pretty plausible to me.

Because it is cheaper for them to grow it in Mexico. They don't own major parts of the military and LEOs here yet.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Mexican crime syndicates have been growing pot in a number of national forests.

TN & neighboring states have a pretty long history of the locals manufacturing illicit drugs too, though.

I'm thinking that it would be fairly hostile to outside growers there.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Less work.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Even less work: Leave people to their own devices.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

These threads make the reasonable people cry.

FIFY

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Whatever happened to inconspicuous? Marijuana glows an emerald green from the air. Even 20 or 30 plants in a plot can be seen easily by an experienced eye. Yet these morons decided to plant 362,000 plants in one area? LMAO! You could see that from space! The only thing about this story that amazes me is the fact it wasn't located until mid-October. There must not be much in the way of aerial anti-drug operations in that area.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to inconspicuous? Marijuana glows an emerald green from the air. Even 20 or 30 plants in a plot can be seen easily by an experienced eye. Yet these morons decided to plant 362,000 plants in one area? LMAO! You could see that from space! The only thing about this story that amazes me is the fact it wasn't located until mid-October. There must not be much in the way of aerial anti-drug operations in that area.

There are no air operations in the area, unless you count a life flight that gets called in from elsewhere in the state.

I grew up in the area, and the options were limited in regards to a livelihood. Your family farms, you work at Goodyear or MTD, UTM, and Tyson. Everything else, such as fast food or the mom-n-pop restaurants, pay minimum wage. Due to the college being in Martin the cost of living is higher than it really should be. Now Goodyear is going away, and MTD has been a crap shoot for years now. Many turn to drugs to cope. Meth was huge, prescription pills are bigger. Pot was always there, and it always will be.

Its a strange place to live, so many things are stuck in the past and at times it seems like life is passing them by. There are lots of decent and honest people, that cling to their values when the rest of the country is circling the drain. And there are also lots of scum, same as any other place. Tyson brought in a lot of Mexicans, straight up illegals, to work in the plant when it opened. They brought some problems along with them, MS13 and BP for instance, that the area would have been without otherwise. But I won't get into that.

I am not defending a giant grow operation. But when you are poor, the job you counted on to survive disappears, and you cannot afford to move any place else then it is not surprising to see something like this popping up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 pound per plant may be close to a reasonable yield but 16-20oz per would not be unlikely

Huh?

Try one ounce per plant.

You may not be aware, but the entire stem, root ball, leaves, is all trash.

You don't count the whole motherfucker as "weed", despite the plant itself weighing 20oz.

It's only the buds, and once trimmed, you net about one ounce.

You can certainly do better under ideal conditions, such as hydroponic labs and such, but this is just a big fuckin' field.

Don't forget LEOs have been known to weigh the whole plant, root ball and dirt included, to figure those numbers. Both for press releases, and sentencing.

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I don't get how any rational thinking person would not avoid large operations like that.  Law agencies use planes and they also use the National Guard to spot.  

I don 't like LEO getting a reward for doing their job.  This can lead to problems.

They don't catch them all, even the large ones. Lots of money to be made. As such, there will always be someone willing to risk it all to get rich. The higher the risk, the greater the potential profits. Hence the folly of the WOD.

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do they know the plants would produce that much?

It works out to roughly $1200 valuation per plant. Let's put the average yield per plant around 1 pound. 1lb of marijuana has a street value around $2500-4500 depending on quality and level of purchase.  

So yeah, that number isn't just pulled out of thin air, it is actually rather conservative.

ETA: Grammar

So now instead of buying some agriculturally minded potheads a big screen tv and a few nice cars it will now fund kidnappings, the killing of LEOs on both sides of the border, and more mercenary trigger pullers for the cartels. The same cartels Iran was going to pay to conduct an op in DC that would have resulted in US citizens dying.  

AKengineer loses the game.

This was a major operation.  Local yokels don't play this big.  

MS13 or the Zeta's will be along to discuss with the local LEO how they can ensure that they don't have to buy a lot of coffins in the near future.  The cartels know how to avoid shipment loss . . . grow it here and you have less shipment loss across the border.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top