8/29/2014 9:08:28 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 5
Author
The Mysterious Stranger
NRA
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:07:32 AM
[Last Edit: 10/13/2011 11:16:38 AM by metalsaber]
I think all of us have done this or seen someone flash their lights to warn drivers that there are cops up ahead.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/12/taking-liberties-bright-lights-big-trouble/
Initially he was cited for "improper flashing of high-beams". Ticket was later dismissed, but he's now filing a suit in FL.

"He has a definite different interpretation of the U.S. Constitution than I do,” said Thomas Ruskin. "And than most members of law enforcement.”

Ruskin is a former New York Police Department detective and current police advocate. He says flashing high beams is dangerous and clearly illegal.

"It's illegal because you're warning someone,” he explained. "It's the same thing as saying, 'run, here comes the cops,' You're obstructing a cop from doing his lawful duty.”

He said citizens do not have the right to interfere with a police action that is under way.

"He is aiding law-breakers,” said Ruskin. "He is warning people who are speeding to slow down. His intent is to impede the police.”

I bought all this equipment. What do you mean that the dead AREN'T coming back to life?
Plasteredtex
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:09:40 AM
its saved my ass a few times
speedracer422
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:10:02 AM
In some states I do believe it is some kind of non-summary driving offense.

Speed

"You'll rue the day you take on the extreme Speed" Acman, TN, OHV campout 2007
rfm05
Nap-taker in training
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:10:06 AM
Nope.
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -Bruce Lee
VBC
Iddy Biddy Biddy Commidy
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:11:37 AM
No. If the goal of speed traps is to slow people down, it slowed people down.

packinheavy
31P3
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:12:13 AM
Originally Posted By VBC:

Exactly!
OVERKILL GOOD!

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Remember it's just the internet. If you take it too seriously, we will make fun of you.
E5TOMHAV
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:14:19 AM
Originally Posted By packinheavy:

Exactly!

The only problem is that we all know that is not the goal...
CnA
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:14:39 AM
If the guy wins, it will be a huge money maker for him. He gets a cut of all revenue from of all the people that have been wrongly ticketed.
NRA Life Endowment Member
GOA Member
Aimless
The Original ®Angry Bird
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:14:53 AM
Wow read the part about the cop from NY
The bird who stood up to the milkies.
metalsaber
The Mysterious Stranger
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:15:34 AM

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Wow read the part about the cop from NY

yeah I should have included that part, but didn't want to seem biased. It was pretty much an eye opener.
I bought all this equipment. What do you mean that the dead AREN'T coming back to life?
EasTexan
Ban children, it's for the guns.
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:17:06 AM
Its not illegal here in Texas from what my Texas Law professor and long time police officer says...

The reasoning being that if the Officer has not seen the speeding vehicle then technically, no crime as occurred.
“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains. Those who think themselves masters of others are indeed greater slaves than they." Jean-Jacques Rousseau

"Liberalism: Ideas so good, they have to be mandatory."---Andrew Wilkow
Hugo_Stiglitz
Everyone in the German army has heard of
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:17:46 AM
I do it religiously, I don't care if a cop sees me doing it either.

To the authoritarian mind, there are only two responses to a demand: submission or defiance, and anything less than total submission is defiance.
Bluffcity
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:19:28 AM
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
I think all of us have done this or seen someone flash their lights to warn drivers that there are cops up ahead.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/12/taking-liberties-bright-lights-big-trouble/
Initially he was cited for "improper flashing of high-beams". Ticket was later dismissed, but he's now filing a suit in FL.

"He has a definite different interpretation of the U.S. Constitution than I do,” said Thomas Ruskin. "And than most members of law enforcement.”

Ruskin is a former New York Police Department detective and current police advocate. He says flashing high beams is dangerous and clearly illegal.

"It's illegal because you're warning someone,” he explained. "It's the same thing as saying, 'run, here comes the cops,' You're obstructing a cop from doing his lawful duty.”

He said citizens do not have the right to interfere with a police action that is under way.

"He is aiding law-breakers,” said Ruskin. "He is warning people who are speeding to slow down. His intent is to impede the police.”

I beat one of those tickets here a few months ago..
TheRX7Project
Pepto Bismol
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:20:47 AM
Is it illegal by letter of the law (depending on state) yes.

Is it morally wrong? I'd say NOT warning someone is worse.
If it does not pick my pocket nor break my leg, it is of no concern to me. -Thomas Jefferson
RDak
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:21:14 AM
Gotta keep that money flowing.

Shung
EBR crew chief
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:23:04 AM
Not illegal here neither.
My gratitude to the other animal that Jessica Alba touches, and to the coldest Tomcat pilot of the 80's !
Muerte
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:23:58 AM
Screw the police and thief many stupid laws they enforce .
Big Brother
fatalerror113
Yankee Carpet-Bagger in chief.
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:25:23 AM

Originally Posted By E5TOMHAV:

Exactly!

Correct, "speed traps" (I put it in quotes because 99% of the time I hear this term its not actually a "speed trap", just an officer trying to enforce the law) are not intended to slow people down in the vicinity of the "speed trap", the goal is to punish people who consistently break the law. After receiving a fine then perhaps they will slow down. Regardless if someone regularly speeds or not, the psychological effect of "I don't want to get a huge ticket" does indeed help keep people driving near the speed limit.

Want a linguistic adventure? Try explaining orbital mechanics in Spanish to a 19 year old Argentinian girl, who is majoring in English, over MSN messenger.
Jarhead_22
Business Agent, Guild of Mute Assassins Local 17
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:26:08 AM
Flashing your lights at another driver isn't telling that other driver to run from the police. Quite the opposite: it tells other drivers to slow down, to comply with the posted speed limit.
"God alone knows the number of the slain."
fatalerror113
Yankee Carpet-Bagger in chief.
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:26:29 AM

Originally Posted By Muerte:
Big Brother

So speed limits (set to help ensure that the traffic flows safely due to the design of the roadway) are "stupid"?

Want a linguistic adventure? Try explaining orbital mechanics in Spanish to a 19 year old Argentinian girl, who is majoring in English, over MSN messenger.
stockshift
Pure Pot Still Character
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:27:32 AM
Speeding is illegal as well. Does that stop people from speeding? It doesn't stop me.
NRA and GOA Life member
ex_dsmr
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:27:38 AM
Either way, I do it often and I appreciate when others give me a heads up as well.

So what about giving out activity/placement over the CB? Never heard a peep out of anyone over that and its the same thing.
Or how about when the morning radio traffic reports "police activity" in a certain area? I hear about it every day.

The guy will win and a bunch of pompus LEO's will get to eat crow.
hdhogrider
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:28:16 AM
Hopefully this will wake others up to fight other types of stupid tickets.
metalsaber
The Mysterious Stranger
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:29:15 AM
[Last Edit: 10/13/2011 11:29:32 AM by metalsaber]
Keep in mind, the person flashing their lights has NO idea if the oncoming traffic is breaking the law or not. They could already be complying with the speed limit. So to say that the person is aiding people break the law is ridiculous.
VACaver
I really do know my ass from a hole in the ground!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:29:56 AM
I flash all the damn time and appreciate it if someone flashes me.

Revenue generation by the cops really pisses me off.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln
Brohawk
Dilettante-At-Large
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:30:15 AM
I think the "wrongness" of it from a legal standpoint would depend upon the flasher knowing that other drivers are speeding (knowledge of a crime in progress, so to speak).

If everybody is driving the speed limit, the flasher has not changed the game at all.

In the end, though, if everybody slows down and overall safety is increased, the only downside is law enforcement missing out of some revenue enhancement.
"I yelled "HEY!! W.T.F!!!?? as I pointed my M-OU812 urban ass-salt axe handle menacingly at him, just daring him to come take my gummy bears!"
peekay
PostCount++;
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:30:50 AM
Eat a dick, Ruskin
There are, however, rules against addressing someone as "fuckface". - John_Wayne777

My first ARFCOM award!
For service above and beyond, I hereby grant to peekay the Grammar Iron Cross. - PAEBR332
brdvictim
DoubleStar/J&T Fan
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:33:23 AM
I use my foglights, wired separately from the headlights.
BikerTrashXx4
Hooligan
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:33:43 AM

So Ruskin doesn't want people to slow down? Proof that speeding tickets are not for safety, merely a revenue generator.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies.
thebomber
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:35:09 AM
wow this is the GD.....got confused with all of the excellent points above.
I cook with wine and sometimes it ends up in the food
HermanSnerd
Ban Liberals. It's for the children!
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:35:31 AM
I did it a month or so ago, and another cop coming from the opposite direction saw me flash
and pulled me over.

He said it was illegal in Tennessee to do ANYTHING that distracts another motorist
including flashing, yelling, or waving.

He gave me a verbal warning and let me go.

I don't know if he was full of shit or not.

"Liberals are emotionally unstable, intellectually dishonest, and morally bankrupt. " - by Herman Snerd
metalsaber
The Mysterious Stranger
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:36:23 AM

Originally Posted By BikerTrashXx4:

So Ruskin doesn't want people to slow down? Proof that speeding tickets are not for safety, merely a revenue generator.

+1

Mazeman
Your Ad Here
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:36:25 AM
You forgot the "I Don't Care" option.

I think it depends on the state.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
-- Thomas Paine, "filthy little atheist"
VooDoo3dfx
Supreme Commander of the Forces of the Underworld
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:36:54 AM
Your poll question and title are twisted.

Should it be illegal to warn police are ahead if u flash ur highbeams? No.

Is it illegal to flash your high beams at night regardless of why? Technically yes. If within 500 highbeams cannot be used. Is it enforced? Yes, but not for flashing.
ككافر
c0t0d0s0
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:37:23 AM
Originally Posted By fatalerror113:

Big Brother

So speed limits (set to help ensure that the traffic flows safely due to the design of the roadway) are "stupid"?

Since most of the speed limits are set artificially low....yes.
Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and a different presentation, regardless of whether it works. -RFC1925
metalsaber
The Mysterious Stranger
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:37:31 AM

Originally Posted By Mazeman:
You forgot the "I Don't Care" option.

I think it depends on the state.

well should go off the thread title which is do you believe it should be illegal? Hoping most people can make up their minds and not vote present.
mcantu
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:38:10 AM
so then all of the websites and apps that show speedtraps are illegal?
metalsaber
The Mysterious Stranger
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:38:17 AM

Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
Your poll question and title are twisted.

Should it be illegal to warn police are ahead if u flash ur highbeams? No.

Is it illegal to flash your high beams at night regardless of why? Technically yes. If within 500 highbeams cannot be used. Is it enforced? Yes, but not for flashing.

I know but can't edit it now. Should be based on what the thread title asks.
rdblan2
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:38:35 AM

If that's the goal instead of revenue, what's the big deal?
Hey, why isn't Taco Bell's slogan "Run for the Border" anymore?

ZUMBO's comments were used by the gun grabbers at the MD AWB hearing.
DangerJ
Nut up or shut up
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:39:10 AM
Flashing headlights causes a denial in revenue for the police department.

By flashing your headlights, you are preventing the police officers from getting their paychecks, and perhaps endangering their ability to make it home safely that day.
Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.
Hugo_Stiglitz
Everyone in the German army has heard of
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:40:31 AM
Originally Posted By HermanSnerd:
I did it a month or so ago, and another cop coming from the opposite direction saw me flash
and pulled me over.

He said it was illegal in Tennessee to do ANYTHING that distracts another motorist
including flashing, yelling, or waving.

He gave me a verbal warning and let me go.

I don't know if he was full of shit or not.

Searched the Tennessee Code Annotated and found:

55-8-187. Obscene or patently offensive bumper stickers, window signs, etc., prohibited.

To avoid distracting other drivers and thereby reduce the likelihood of accidents arising from lack of attention or concentration, the display of obscene and patently offensive movies, bumper stickers, window signs or other markings on or in a motor vehicle that are visible to other drivers is prohibited and display of such materials shall subject the owner of the vehicle on which they are displayed, upon conviction, to a fine of fifty dollars ($50.00). "Obscene" or "patently offensive" has the meaning specified in § 39-17-901.

He's FOS.
To the authoritarian mind, there are only two responses to a demand: submission or defiance, and anything less than total submission is defiance.
metalsaber
The Mysterious Stranger
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:40:51 AM

Originally Posted By DangerJ:

By flashing your headlights, you are preventing the police officers from getting their paychecks, and perhaps endangering their ability to make it home safely that day.

If you prevented the cop from stopping a violent offender that might have killed the cop during a routine stop, aren't you saving his life?
DangerJ
Nut up or shut up
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:41:35 AM

If you prevented the cop from stopping a violent offender that might have killed the cop during a routine stop, aren't you saving his life?

Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.
Admiral_Crunch
Cranky & armed database admin
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:41:47 AM
[Last Edit: 10/13/2011 11:46:40 AM by Admiral_Crunch]
I don't just use them to warn of speed traps. I use them to warn of upcoming debris in the road, traffic accidents, parked emergency vehicles, etc. Anything that a driver needs to slow down for.
I use my headlights, but not my high beams. Using high-beams with close, oncoming traffic is illegal.

I believe the SCOTUS has ruled that warning other drivers of speed traps is protected free speech, as it should be.
Scratch that. Can't find anything about it. Still seems to be a state-by-state thing.
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite forum on the Citadel.
DM1975
Collector and purveyor of useless information
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:42:26 AM
In my opinion as a former LE you can not site someone for trying to get others to comply with the law. This was my view on it as an LEO but others I worked with did not all agree.
US Army Action Figure...Now with 10% less brain matter!!!!
quijanos
TMBTITWIGRS
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:44:54 AM
Only if you know morse code
"America is not at War.
The Marine Corps is at War;
America is at the mall."

Author Unknown
SIPCAT-C
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:45:11 AM
Originally Posted By E5TOMHAV:

Exactly!

Aye.
SIPCAT-C
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:46:48 AM
Originally Posted By fatalerror113:

Big Brother

If that were true and every roadway had its maximum safe speed posted and didn't fluctuate in certain spots, towns, etc. then you might have a point.
You know better. It is not about safety.
Taboot
Sentient meat..
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:51:13 AM
It seems like it would be difficult or impossible to prove intent. You could say that you inadvertently bumped the high beam switch. It's not illegal to actuate your high beams, is it?

They couldn't prove that you even had knowledge that there was a cop car at all.
vidi vici veni
"Pure unadulterated communism. Happens every time these community organizers start poontangin' around with those showfolk fags." - Buford T Justice, Sheriff.
VooDoo3dfx
Supreme Commander of the Forces of the Underworld
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:51:45 AM

I didnt realize the amount of tickets cops right is related to their paycheck.

I guess that is why unions are so against quotas.
ككافر
mousehunter
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:55:37 AM
Pretty sure it is illegal here - that does not mean it should be illegal.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 5