Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
No, I consider it a courtesy.

I appreciate it when someone flashes me. Tits or lights, same difference.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.  If the goal of speed traps is to slow people down, it slowed people down.

Exactly!

The only problem is that we all know that is not the goal...

If a department is going to put out that excuse, I'm more than happy to turn their 'logic' around on them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was 17 I was stopped for this very reason. It was around 10pm and myself and the driver behind me both flashed at a car heading towards a cop running radar. There was another cop parked about 300 yards ahead of us and he pulled both of us over. The cop started in with me about "obstruction of justice" "distracting another driver" "interfering with the duties of a peace officer" I was told I could go to jail for it and then he went on to the lady behind me and repeated the same line of BS to her. He came back and told me the other officer was coming down to decide if he wanted to charge both of us. Five minutes later he came back and told me to leave. Cops dont like people taking potential ill gotten gains away from them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The only time I'm flashing my high beams is to tell the guy in front of me who's sitting in the passing lane not passing anyone to either speed up and start passing people or move his slow ass over to the right lane.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ding, ding, ding! Winner
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The Florida Highway Patrol has ordered troopers to stop writing tickets – at least temporarily – to drivers who flash their headlights to warn oncoming drivers about speed enforcement details ahead of them.

lawandorder.blogs.gainesville.com/10588/no-more-blinking-tickets-from-fhp/
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Is there a standard flash type for a speedtrap?  

For speed traps, I typically flash high beams in a double tap fashion during the day, and flash fog lights in a double tap fashion at night.

Is there another way?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Flashing your lights at another driver isn't telling that other driver to run from the police. Quite the opposite: it tells other drivers to slow down, to comply with the posted speed limit.

Agreed.  I've done it a few times.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Of course it isn't illegal, immoral, dangerous, or anything else. However......

"Illegal" is whatever the Cops say it is.  

-Unless you have a serious amount of money and time to "prove" you are innocent.   Most of us don't, but I'm glad that some do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flashing headlights causes a denial in revenue for the police department.

By flashing your headlights, you are preventing the police officers from getting their paychecks, and perhaps endangering their ability to make it home safely that day.

I didn't realize the amount of tickets cops right is related to their paycheck.

I guess that is why unions are so against quotas.

Don't be dense.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#12]
This seems like a first amendment issue.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

By flashing your headlights, you are preventing the police officers from getting their paychecks, and perhaps endangering their ability to make it home safely that day.

I guess that is why unions are so against quotas.

Don't be dense.

Dont believe everything you hear from people who get all butthurt cause they actually do break the law and then have to pay for it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
set to help ensure that the traffic flows safely due to the design of the roadway  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking forward to a ruling in favor of free speech... just gotta wait and see how it plays out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Some states you can get charged with Obstruction of Justice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Screw the police and thief many stupid laws they enforce .

Big Brother

So speed limits (set to help ensure that the traffic flows safely due to the design of the roadway) are "stupid"?

Since most of the speed limits are set artificially low....yes.

Define artificially low?

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
During the day it's freedom of expression at night is failure to dim or driving with lights off.

So you pull over and ticket people that are reminding a dumbass to turn his lights on at night?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Screw the police and thief many stupid laws they enforce .

Big Brother

So speed limits (set to help ensure that the traffic flows safely due to the design of the roadway) are "stupid"?

If that were true and every roadway had its maximum safe speed posted and didn't fluctuate in certain spots, towns, etc. then you might have a point.

You know better.  It is not about safety.

This is moronic.  There are plenty of valid reasons why speed limits change in "certain spots" and within residential areas.

Transportation engineering, how does it work?

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

set to help ensure that the traffic flows safely due to the design of the roadway  

Oh really, how many years have you studied transpiration engineering?

Please, feel free to dispute me with the facts.  Citing specific studies and calculations is encouraged.

Or are you just completely full of shit?

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
During the day it's freedom of expression at night is failure to dim or driving with lights off.

So you pull over and ticket people that are reminding a dumbass to turn his lights on at night?

Legally,  you can.

But you went off the deep end with that comment.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, feel free to dispute me with the facts.  Citing specific studies and calculations is encouraged.

A chart for those without a degree:
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Gotta keep that money flowing.

To serve and COLLECT!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No more full of shit than someone who thinks speed limits are set the way they are for safety.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pretty sure it is illegal here - that does not mean it should be illegal.

No it isn't.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#30]
A Court in Franklin, Tennessee has previously ruled that it is a First Amendment issue.  Of course, that only affects the jurisdiction of that Court.

Me telling someone that the cops are running radar, in order to stop speeders is no different than me walking down the street and saying "Hey, drugs are illegal and there are cops looking to arrest drug dealers."  They are both simply warning others that their illegal activities could have serious consequences, so they should stop their behavior.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't think it should be illegal but I never do it. I don't have any compulsion to aid or assist those with obviously very poor time management skills.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#32]
It SHOULD be a freedom of speech issue.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#33]
In VT you can get cited for intereferring with police work or something like that. I still do it. It's no different than saying to a friend to not being a knife with them when they travel because TSA will take it, or warning anybody regarding what can happen. I am sure most people warn their kids when they go out to a party.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No more full of shit than someone who thinks speed limits are set the way they are for safety.

I know why speed limits are selected as they are.  I have run calculations, I have read the studies, and I have seen the engineering manuals.

In short, I know for a fact that you are full of shit and that I am not.

If you could please show me specific studies or calculations why I am wrong then perhaps I'd consider your argument to be worthwhile.

Until then, you are worse than sen. McCarthy on the topic of guns.

Keep in mind, I'm not denying that some speed limits are artificially lowered for some foolish reason (like little jimmy got killed while playing in the street, the town freaks out, city council caves, and lowers the speed limit from 35 to 25), that doesn't mean they are the "rule" and that certainly doesn't negate the primary function of speed limits.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://techalive.mtu.edu/meec/module01/images/transpiration.jpg

Ah okay, since you are actually wrong and have no facts to back up your foolish assertions, you choose to attack my poor spelling/spellcheck using skills.

I'll take that as a win.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!

Yep. 99% of it is simple tax collection.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I feel sorry for any cop who has nothing better to do than pull someone over for flashing their lights to warn oncoming cars.

Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be at times. Like when you sign up for 8 hours of "Pedestrian Safety" OT here and they tell you you have to write at least 10 tickets for non-equipment violations.
Same when we had "Red Light OT", "Speeding OT", "Motorcycle OT", and "Seatbelt OT".
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly!

Yep. 99% of it is simple tax collection.

Actual "speed traps" yeah, I'd agree.

Thing is, 99% of what people call "speed traps" are actually not speed traps at all, just an officer enforcing the posted speed.

So 99% of 1% equates out to about 0.99% total.

Aren't made up statistics fun?

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Nah, they're MY fucking lights.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!

Correct, "speed traps" (I put it in quotes because 99% of the time I hear this term its not actually a "speed trap", just an officer trying to enforce the law) are not intended to slow people down in the vicinity of the "speed trap", the goal is to punish people who consistently break the law.  After receiving a fine then perhaps they will slow down.  Regardless if someone regularly speeds or not, the psychological effect of "I don't want to get a huge ticket" does indeed help keep people driving near the speed limit.

Sorry, but.....bullshit. The goal, as everyone with *any* I.Q. knows, is to bring in money.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly!

Correct, "speed traps" (I put it in quotes because 99% of the time I hear this term its not actually a "speed trap", just an officer trying to enforce the law) are not intended to slow people down in the vicinity of the "speed trap", the goal is to punish people who consistently break the law.  After receiving a fine then perhaps they will slow down.  Regardless if someone regularly speeds or not, the psychological effect of "I don't want to get a huge ticket" does indeed help keep people driving near the speed limit.

Sorry, but.....bullshit. The goal, as everyone with *any* I.Q. knows, is to bring in money.

Right, a masters degree in engineering with a transportation focus, clearly I have no IQ and know nothing speed limits and factors that are involved in their selection.

Again, feel free to refute me with facts.

Until then your "gut" feelings based on incorrect assumptions are meaningless.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I do it religiously, I don't care if a cop sees me doing it either.

this

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://techalive.mtu.edu/meec/module01/images/transpiration.jpg

Ah okay, since you are actually wrong and have no facts to back up your foolish assertions, you choose to attack my poor spelling/spellcheck using skills.

I'll take that as a win.

You can wade through all 23 pages if you want.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I feel sorry for any cop who has nothing better to do than pull someone over for flashing their lights to warn oncoming cars.

Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be at times. Like when you sign up for 8 hours of "Pedestrian Safety" OT here and they tell you you have to write at least 10 tickets for non-equipment violations.
Same when we had "Red Light OT", "Speeding OT", "Motorcycle OT", and "Seatbelt OT".

Only OT we get like that is for seatbelts or DUI.  But we dont have minimum.

ETA:  My paycheck however is lnt related to my day to day operations.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How deep in your ass did have to reach to pull that one out?

As if pretending that flashing of highbeams or on/off of headlights is TRULY and MEANINGFULLY within the intent and spirit fo "failure to dim" or "driving with lights off".

Please, your hand is tickling your spleen as well with that nit-picky bullshit of a reason to ticket someone for tattling on you.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I flash my lights in the hopes of getting the attention of some gang members who will attempt to gun me down as part of their initiation.

So far it's uxb 8, gangs 0.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How deep in your ass did have to reach to pull that one out?

As if pretending that flashing of highbeams or on/off of headlights is TRULY and MEANINGFULLY within the intent and spirit fo "failure to dim" or "driving with lights off".

Please, your hand is tickling your spleen as well with that nit-picky bullshit of a reason to ticket someone for tattling on you.

It's either against the law or not.

What about flashing your hazards instead?

Or tapping your brakes for the drivers behind you?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I flash if i see deer on the side of the road too.  I guess I am just a rebel.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top