Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2011 9:02:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that A-MAX bullets are made for accuracy while V-MAX bullets are made for expansion...

http://www.hornady.com/store/A-MAX/
http://www.hornady.com/store/V-MAX-bullets/
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes I know all bullets "expand" when they hit stuff to some degree but in the UK we have this utterly retarded distinction left to us by the tossers in the Labour Party between "Target" and "Expanding" ammunition.

This means that if you are purely a target shooter you will not be allowed to posess expanding ammuntion because it is deemed icky and dangerous.  Only Hunters are allowed to have expanding ammo.

Well recently, some fuckstick in the Home Orrifice has decided that the Hornady A-Max is an expanding bullet because it is designed to expand and fragment on impact with steel plates. Any target shooter who doesn't have expanding missiles on his ticket but has a stash of batched A-Max for reloading is now in posession of a Section 5 component an can be arrested for firearms offences.  It's never going to result in much in reality because the Police know it's a bloody stupid decision. I can see my local police facepalming at this already.

This has caused much consternation among UK shooters who thing the whole decision is a load of fucking bollocks and that the distinction between target ammo and hunting ammo is a bureaucratic mess left as a hang over from the anti-gun Labour Govt.  I've never seen a fox complain about the difference.

I hope Hornady will back up the UK Gun Trade and get this bullshit overturned and help us redifine the A-max for the UK market. I know there is a proposed change in the legislation to do away with this silly bloody distinction as it has absolutely no bearing on public safety whatsoever. Bit even so I despair at the legacy left us by the liberal wankers that imposed the 1997 Amendments.

So my question........ Is the A-Max a target or hunting bullet......or both?

You guys need to declare independence from Great Britain for the good of Great Britain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Most hunters' reports I have read indicate that the two bullets perform very similarly in game.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there any cutaway diagram or technical explanation for the differences?  It would be helpful in countering this daft decision.

Can't help you there, maybe Hornady would have that info.

Is it possible that someone screwed up and meant to say "V-MAX" and accidentally said "A-MAX"?
Or are the V-MAX bullets already considered expanding?  Might be a little easier to overturn if this can be blamed on a typo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes I know all bullets "expand" when they hit stuff to some degree but in the UK we have this utterly retarded distinction left to us by the tossers in the Labour Party between "Target" and "Expanding" ammunition.

This means that if you are purely a target shooter you will not be allowed to posess expanding ammuntion because it is deemed icky and dangerous.  Only Hunters are allowed to have expanding ammo.

Well recently, some fuckstick in the Home Orrifice has decided that the Hornady A-Max is an expanding bullet because it is designed to expand and fragment on impact with steel plates. Any target shooter who doesn't have expanding missiles on his ticket but has a stash of batched A-Max for reloading is now in posession of a Section 5 component an can be arrested for firearms offences.  It's never going to result in much in reality because the Police know it's a bloody stupid decision. I can see my local police facepalming at this already.

This has caused much consternation among UK shooters who thing the whole decision is a load of fucking bollocks and that the distinction between target ammo and hunting ammo is a bureaucratic mess left as a hang over from the anti-gun Labour Govt.  I've never seen a fox complain about the difference.

I hope Hornady will back up the UK Gun Trade and get this bullshit overturned and help us redifine the A-max for the UK market. I know there is a proposed change in the legislation to do away with this silly bloody distinction as it has absolutely no bearing on public safety whatsoever. Bit even so I despair at the legacy left us by the liberal wankers that imposed the 1997 Amendments.

So my question........ Is the A-Max a target or hunting bullet......or both?

How would the gov know if you're just a target shooter or a hunter? Can't you be both. Target shoot in the off-season and hunt during hunting season?
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I know some people that hunt with their match loads. Sierra Match Kings and some Berger bullets also perform fairly well in deer sized game. If your government doesn't want you to have weapons that are dangerous, eventually you will have them all banned. Just wait till they find out that most FMJ rifle rounds penetrate police body armor easily.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#8]
You need to get rid of these officials who make decisions like that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to get rid of these officials who make decisions like that.

We are working on it.

Just don't send them over here.

eta: you could let them live in the new part of Europe: http://digg.com/news/offbeat/there_was_a_plan_in_the_1930_to_drain_the_north_sea_and_connect_europe_and_england_pic

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Just make the bullets out of styrfoam and then nobody would get hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top