Author
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede, Savvy?
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:02:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2011 8:37:25 AM EST by Agent_Funky]
Yes I know all bullets "expand" when they hit stuff to some degree but in the UK we have this utterly retarded distinction left to us by the tossers in the Labour Party between "Target" and "Expanding" ammunition.

This means that if you are purely a target shooter you will not be allowed to posess expanding ammuntion because it is deemed icky and dangerous. Only Hunters are allowed to have expanding ammo.

Well recently, some fuckstick in the Home Orrifice has decided that the Hornady A-Max is an expanding bullet because it is designed to expand and fragment on impact with steel plates. Any target shooter who doesn't have expanding missiles on his ticket but has a stash of batched A-Max for reloading is now in posession of a Section 5 component an can be arrested for firearms offences. It's never going to result in much in reality because the Police know it's a bloody stupid decision. I can see my local police facepalming at this already.

This has caused much consternation among UK shooters who thing the whole decision is a load of fucking bollocks and that the distinction between target ammo and hunting ammo is a bureaucratic mess left as a hang over from the anti-gun Labour Govt. I've never seen a fox complain about the difference.

I hope Hornady will back up the UK Gun Trade and get this bullshit overturned and help us redifine the A-max for the UK market. I know there is a proposed change in the legislation to do away with this silly bloody distinction as it has absolutely no bearing on public safety whatsoever. Bit even so I despair at the legacy left us by the liberal wankers that imposed the 1997 Amendments.

So my question........ Is the A-Max a target or hunting bullet......or both?
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Proud Member - Team Ranstad

mechanicalboonie
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:08:57 AM EST
My understanding is that A-MAX bullets are made for accuracy while V-MAX bullets are made for expansion...

http://www.hornady.com/store/A-MAX/
http://www.hornady.com/store/V-MAX-bullets/
Agent_Funky
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:36:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By mechanicalboonie:
My understanding is that A-MAX bullets are made for accuracy while V-MAX bullets are made for expansion...

http://www.hornady.com/store/A-MAX/
http://www.hornady.com/store/V-MAX-bullets/

Thanks

That is as I understood it.

Is there any cutaway diagram or technical explanation for the differences? It would be helpful in countering this daft decision.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

AKengineer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:39:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Agent_Funky:
Yes I know all bullets "expand" when they hit stuff to some degree but in the UK we have this utterly retarded distinction left to us by the tossers in the Labour Party between "Target" and "Expanding" ammunition.

This means that if you are purely a target shooter you will not be allowed to posess expanding ammuntion because it is deemed icky and dangerous. Only Hunters are allowed to have expanding ammo.

Well recently, some fuckstick in the Home Orrifice has decided that the Hornady A-Max is an expanding bullet because it is designed to expand and fragment on impact with steel plates. Any target shooter who doesn't have expanding missiles on his ticket but has a stash of batched A-Max for reloading is now in posession of a Section 5 component an can be arrested for firearms offences. It's never going to result in much in reality because the Police know it's a bloody stupid decision. I can see my local police facepalming at this already.

This has caused much consternation among UK shooters who thing the whole decision is a load of fucking bollocks and that the distinction between target ammo and hunting ammo is a bureaucratic mess left as a hang over from the anti-gun Labour Govt. I've never seen a fox complain about the difference.

I hope Hornady will back up the UK Gun Trade and get this bullshit overturned and help us redifine the A-max for the UK market. I know there is a proposed change in the legislation to do away with this silly bloody distinction as it has absolutely no bearing on public safety whatsoever. Bit even so I despair at the legacy left us by the liberal wankers that imposed the 1997 Amendments.

You guys need to declare independence from Great Britain for the good of Great Britain.
patchouli
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:40:01 AM EST
Most hunters' reports I have read indicate that the two bullets perform very similarly in game.
mechanicalboonie
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:40:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2011 8:41:42 AM EST by mechanicalboonie]
Is there any cutaway diagram or technical explanation for the differences? It would be helpful in countering this daft decision.

Can't help you there, maybe Hornady would have that info.

Is it possible that someone screwed up and meant to say "V-MAX" and accidentally said "A-MAX"?
Or are the V-MAX bullets already considered expanding? Might be a little easier to overturn if this can be blamed on a typo.
donnieR32
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:42:15 AM EST

How would the gov know if you're just a target shooter or a hunter? Can't you be both. Target shoot in the off-season and hunt during hunting season?
AKengineer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:43:09 AM EST
I know some people that hunt with their match loads. Sierra Match Kings and some Berger bullets also perform fairly well in deer sized game. If your government doesn't want you to have weapons that are dangerous, eventually you will have them all banned. Just wait till they find out that most FMJ rifle rounds penetrate police body armor easily.
Tekka
Tekkaholic Super Tokyo Fun Show!
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:49:44 AM EST
You need to get rid of these officials who make decisions like that.
“Villainous overweight lemon-sucking shrews with thick ankles. They lurk in Hurman Resources departments like misandrous hagfish. They loathe men after the third inexplicable divorce. Eat ice cream out of the box and watch Oprah.”
Agent_Funky
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 10:45:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By donnieR32:

How would the gov know if you're just a target shooter or a hunter? Can't you be both. Target shoot in the off-season and hunt during hunting season?

You can do either/or if you want to....... it's just that the Govt seem to think that we, as shooters need telling what ammunition we can and can't use. That is something I'm more than capable of deciding myself and I know what shoots well in my rifles.

I'm never going to set out to cause any animal undue suffering, and when it comes to target shooting it shouldn't matter one but what bullet you use since it;s usually on a designated range designed for purpose.

The whole thing is just a bunch of WTF.

Agent_Funky
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 10:45:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tekka:

We are working on it.

david_g17
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 10:57:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2011 10:59:39 AM EST by david_g17]

We are working on it.

Just don't send them over here.

eta: you could let them live in the new part of Europe: http://digg.com/news/offbeat/there_was_a_plan_in_the_1930_to_drain_the_north_sea_and_connect_europe_and_england_pic

Agent_Funky
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 11:36:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By david_g17:

We are working on it.

Just don't send them over here.

eta: you could let them live in the new part of Europe: http://digg.com/news/offbeat/there_was_a_plan_in_the_1930_to_drain_the_north_sea_and_connect_europe_and_england_pic

Oh God... what a nightmare.

Angelshare1
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2011 11:37:37 AM EST
Just make the bullets out of styrfoam and then nobody would get hurt.