Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2011 10:38:04 PM EDT
My son is a Naval officer and has USAA auto insurance.  I am listed on his title as the co-owner of the vehicle.  My brother who is retired army says since I am on the title of his USAA insured vehicle that I should be eligible to get insurance on my own vehicles.  Does anyone have any info on this?

My dad was Navy in the 50's but does not have USAA, just never got it.  I may just ask him to insure one of my vehicles with USAA and I will pay the bill then once he is listed with them I will be eligible to get my own.  Gotta hurry though, he's 75 and not getting any younger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You are not eligible through your son

You are eligible through you dad, providing he establishes his membership

I'm in the know
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they dropped the .mil requirement.  I've been with 'em 30+ years.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You are not eligible through your son

You are eligible through you dad, providing he establishes his membership

I'm in the know

What are the requirements?

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

they did not, for the P&C insurance side anyways, the banking is open to all however

membership info here

there are a few alphabet soup US gov't agencies that are also eligible
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
USAA is an awesome insurance company to deal with. Hope it doesn't get worse with them opening the floodgates.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

USAA is an awesome insurance company to deal with. Hope it doesn't get worse with them opening the floodgates.

I don't have them for insurance, but I do have a checking and saving account with them. Excellent bank!

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Uh....no.

Your "awesome insurance company" is one of the few corps that foolishy attempted to lobby against the bill allowing law abiding persons to keep a legally owned firearm in a personal vehicle while at work.

That should be reason enough not to do business with them.

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 4:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]

USAA is awesome.

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They opened the flood gates in 1996, and service has been suffering since.z
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.  I've been continuously insured with them since 1986.  

I've insured 19 automobiles with them over that time.  I have had their MasterCard since 1990.  I've insured two homes with them (including my current home).  And I've financed two auto loans with them.

USAA is not always the cheapest but, overall, they are a fantastic company that I continue to choose to employ and I can't say that service has ever been "better" with them.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been with them since 1990 and they have always been great.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#12]
They did not. My partner at work tried the other day. I list these guys in top ten that im pleased to deal with. They are very pleasant to do bussiness with and on the phone is doesnt sound like they are being forced to be nice. My dad got his computer hit by lightning and they paid up no questions asked. Also handled a claim for me in one day

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#13]
USAA is the shit.

135 a month for two cars. My wife and I are both under 25 with less than stellar driving records.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Call USAA
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh....no.

Your "awesome insurance company" is one of the few corps that foolishy attempted to lobby against the bill allowing law abiding persons to keep a legally owned firearm in a personal vehicle while at work.

Link?

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#16]

I have a USAA credit card.  I got one of those "notice of change of terms" letters from them.

They were letting me know that they were dropping the interest rate on the card by 2%.

Yesterday, I picked up a new vehicle and called them from the dealership for financing.

Less than an hour later, I was driving home in the newly purchased vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh....no.

Could you be a little more vague please?
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep seeing these shill threads for USAA.  Do they offer savings or better service over State Farm and/or a good credit union?  

Put up some numbers and percents, or you are just a fucking shill.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have them for insurance, but I do have a checking and saving account with them. Excellent bank!

They are fucking awesome bank and insurance. I have home with them.
The banking is great. You can make deposits at UPS store and full credit available immediately.

Get your dad to join up and get you eligible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#20]
P&C would have to be passed down by your dad

Bank and financial services open to all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah that explains it. My Dad is retired air force, and has always had USAA.  About 2 years ago they started to solicit me. I had always heard that only military could have USAA, so I just tossed the offers.. figuring they screwed up because I was never in the military. I had no idea I could use them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#22]
usaa beat state farm for the exact same auto coverage by $100 a year for me.

state farm would routinely raise my premium by $10 every 6 months renewal  ( no claims, no tickets).

hope usaa won't do the same ...
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I love em. Great rates. Great CS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
usaa beat state farm for the exact same auto coverage by $100 a year for me.

state farm would routinely raise my premium by $10 every 6 months renewal  ( no claims, no tickets).

hope usaa won't do the same ...

I had geico, wife had usaa when we got married. Checked rates at both, (AR law makes it mandatory for your spouse to be on your policy) $210 a month at geico for both.
$92 at USAA for both. Winning! Shortly thereafter we traded my TJ for the charger and put the Mustang on storage status.  Down to $72 a month.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top