Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
How does a kid with down syndrome go to college and what does that say about our education standards?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If he can attend why shouldn't he have the ability to go to college if its paid for?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If he can attend why shouldn't he have the ability to go to college if its paid for?

You don't think college should have standards just slightly higher than retarded?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think college should have standards just slightly higher than retarded?

well...

not the pre-law ones, anyways...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't this person attend a community college?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would have had a 9.0 GPA if I had attended the special ed classes in high school, rather than the gifted and honors courses which provided me with a 3.something.

College diplomas should not be participation trophies.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't this person attend a community college?

Oh I guess I have no problem with them attending but if they aren't flunking out something is seriously wrong.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
and god forbid a person with down syndrome that is semi capable of learning get a skill set and not become a drain on society
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and god forbid a person with down syndrome that is semi capable of learning get a skill set and not become a drain on society

Who said anything about them not learning a skill? I just said if the standards are so low that anyone can pass then why even bother, it's like pee wee sports where everyone wins but worse.

Then again maybe you're right, anyone who's parents can afford a degree deserves one. You be the first to go under and have a surgeon operate on you that can't even get the intricacies of one potato, two potato or how about fling on a plane worked on by one of these "winners". It's not like I'm advocating locking these people up but saying they can do anything and letting them do it just to prove how PC you are is ridiculous. There are lots of jobs they can do but none of them require a college degree nor should they.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said anything about them not learning a skill? I just said if the standards are so low that anyone can pass then why even bother, it's like pee wee sports where everyone wins but worse.

They won't be able to obtain a degree in physics obviously but there are other things they can learn obviously.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I say we replace both the House and Senate with Downies.    Then, instead of tyranny and taxes, we'd all get ice cream.

No need to replace the president, he's already a retard....

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I am curious exactly how "high functioning" a "high functioning" person with downs is. I have a cousin who has it and she is simply not capable of... much of anything.

It's hard to discuss the subject without sounding offensive to people with or people related to people with Downs, but that does sound more like some sort of affirmative action case than anything.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're shitting me, right?

Here's a fact.   I suffered two strokes when I was a baby.  The doctors told my parents, when I was 10 days old, that I'd never be able to walk, talk or do anything.

Guess fucking what, I went to college, and walked across the stage last May to accept my Associates.

I knew quite a few people in college that had disabilities, some physical, some learning.  

So chew on that for a while.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't be able to obtain a degree in physics obviously but there are other things they can learn obviously.

Are you.......

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am curious exactly how "high functioning" a "high functioning" person with downs is. I have a cousin who has it and she is simply not capable of... much of anything.

It's hard to discuss the subject without sounding offensive to people with or people related to people with Downs, but that does sound more like some sort of affirmative action case than anything.

I've heard of people with very mild forms of Down syndrome able to drive.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have run into some pretty damned normal downs people. In fact, if not for their appearance, I'd never have given any thought at all to those people's intellectual wattage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

By brother in law has mild down syndrome and is getting a "b" average in college right now. He had an "a" average in highschool. He may have problems and is very immature from a social viewpoint but he is smart and capable. Unfortunately his mother babied him and because of that he will probably never work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a fact.   I suffered two strokes when I was a baby.  The doctors told my parents, when I was 10 days old, that I'd never be able to walk, talk or do anything.

Guess fucking what, I went to college, and walked across the stage last May to accept my Associates.

I knew quite a few people in college that had disabilities, some physical, some learning.  

Easy there big fella!  It's pretty apparent you're a far fucking stretch away from being mentally disabled.

The question is, should an institution that rewards intelligence, or something like it, being handing out diplomas to retards?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a heck of an inspirational story.

Good job, man.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh I understand that's why I like to see those who can do. It's more then I can say for some welfare goblins.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you.......

No but thanks for the insult there buddy I don't see how you could complain when the parents are paying for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy there big fella!  It's pretty apparent you're a far fucking stretch away from being mentally disabled.

The question is, should an institution that rewards intelligence, or something like it, being handing out diplomas to retards?

Define "retard."

The community college I went to had a placement test to enter.  If the subject of the thread was able to pass a placement test to enter college, why the hell not?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]
The average IQ of children with Down syndrome is around 50, compared to normal children with an IQ of 100.[5] A small number have a severe to high degree of intellectual disability.

Bell curve says some kids with down syndrome will have an IQ > 100, so they would be smarter than half the retards in this country
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Jane Lynch asks that you not used the word "retard"

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By brother in law has mild down syndrome and is getting a "b" average in college right now. He had an "a" average in highschool. He may have problems and is very immature from a social viewpoint but he is smart and capable. Unfortunately his mother babied him and because of that he will probably never work.

That's good to hear. I can't say that I have ever personally met someone with high functioning down syndrome, but it is interesting to know that they run a spectrum.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job, man.

Let me tell you one about someone I knew in college.

She came to this country from Poland 10+ years ago.  She had cerebral palsy and used crutches to get around(or a walker when it was snowy or rainy), but was able to drive and work.  Her family became citizens and she graduated a year before I did.  Last I heard she was going off to get a four year law degree.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

By brother in law has mild down syndrome and is getting a "b" average in college right now. He had an "a" average in highschool.

If those grades are from regular classes, and not from the "special" ones held in the trailer out back, I truly weep for our education system.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm sure she isn't holding up others in the class at all huh? I remember in school kids that were not retarded would hold up the rest of the class constantly, I can only imagine how it would be with someone with down syndrome in the class.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]
There was a news item about a guy who couldn't walk being told by some liberal nitwit that he must be so glad he had the opportunity to meet this challenge in life or some such BS.  

They guy told her he would rather be able to walk again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I say we replace both the House and Senate with Downies.    Then, instead of tyranny and taxes, we'd all get ice cream.

Winning! /thread

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#30]
My cousin is a highly functioning Down Syndrome.  He's 29, and I think he's currently at a 5th or 6th grade education level.  When I see him doing work, I can tell it's a challenge.  He does it, and usually gets it right, but it isn't very easy for him.  

I can't honestly say I know how the whole school thing works for them.  I know he graduated high school, I just can't figure how.  I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to upset anyone.  He's married and lives alone [with the wife] now (under light supervision).  As far as his maturity and intelligence level, I'd say he's at about 13-15 years old.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm sure she isn't holding up others in the class at all huh? I remember in school kids that were not retarded would hold up the rest of the class constantly, I can only imagine how it would be with someone with down syndrome in the class.

I knew quite a few "normal" students who decided it was more fun to play with their iPhones and not come to meetings about projects than to actually give a care.  Now how do you think they were affecting the class?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

......WHEN THE FUCK DID WE GET ICE CREAM?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wait. How in the hell do you hold a class back in college? Are you saying she's dancing around the class room yelling SCOOBY SCOOBY or something like that? Don't know about you but when I went to college the idiots didn't hold me back . Unless your saying that she scores horribly and screws up the curve?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey, corky from Life Goes On was intelligent enough to have a lead role on a prime time tv show.and made more money than most people posting in this.thread.

If you have a problem with this person attending that university don't go there.

I have a terminal degree. It took me three years in a program that had me in the classroom 15 hours a day for 6 days a week.  Yes, it makes me upset when a person that would never make it into the aforementioned program pays an online university for a year long program that gives out the same degree. I hope that if I am a candidate for a job and I am competing with someone that has an online degree I will be a better candidate.

I guess what I'm saying is let the person attend college. Don't judge. Take care of your own business and things will be just fine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have run into some pretty damned normal downs people. In fact, if not for their appearance, I'd never have given any thought at all to those people's intellectual wattage.

It is tough to judge intelligence in people with just a short conversation, especially when they have reasonably developed linguistic abilities. It is another when you put them in a situation where they have to think for themselves and they can't rely on standard responses from memory.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Define "retard."

The community college I went to had a placement test to enter.  If the subject of the thread was able to pass a placement test to enter college, why the hell not?

It's like porn; you know it when you see it.     The weird kid down the street with mild autism/ Asperger's type symptoms probably doesn't fit the bill, but I have yet to meet anyone with Down's who didn't fit the old school, and popular, definition of retarded.

I think if kids with Down's are capable of earning a college diploma, we need to evaluate what that diploma means, because it sure as shit isn't celebrating higher learning.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

By brother in law has mild down syndrome and is getting a "b" average in college right now. He had an "a" average in highschool.

If those grades are from regular classes, and not from the "special" ones held in the trailer out back, I truly weep for our education system.

They were regular classes, as I said though he has a mild case. If his mom didn't coddle him you probably wouldn't know he had down's other than his appearance. I don't really have a reference point though, where I went to school everything was easy. I passed the so called "honors" classes in school while also known as the biggest screw off in school when I actually showed up. Usually I ditched class to go weld or do metal fab in the school shop.

They have to slow down the classes so much so the idiots don't get behind that a otherwise smart kid with mild down's syndrome can keep up if he can stay focused.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is tough to judge intelligence in people with just a short conversation, especially when they have reasonably developed linguistic abilities. It is another when you put them in a situation where they have to think for themselves and they can't rely on standard responses from memory.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "retard."

It's like porn; you know it when you see it.     The weird kid down the street with mild autism/ Asperger's type symptoms probably doesn't fit the bill, but I have yet to meet anyone with Down's who didn't fit the old school, and popular, definition of retarded.

I think if kids with Down's are capable of earning a college diploma, we need to evaluate what that diploma means, because it sure as shit isn't celebrating higher learning.

People with handicaps are more capable than what you may think.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if they did most of the kids in them now would not get in

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The average IQ of children with Down syndrome is around 50, compared to normal children with an IQ of 100.[5] A small number have a severe to high degree of intellectual disability.

Bell curve says some kids with down syndrome will have an IQ > 100, so they would be smarter than half the retards in this country

That would only be the case if others could have an IQ of 0
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "retard."

The boat sailed a long time ago... and it had nothing to do with down syndrome students
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey is this the kind of retard that drools and rubs shit in his hair and all that, 'cause I'm gonna have a hard time eatin' 'round that kind of thing now. Just like I am with antique furniture and midgets. You know that, I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHAHaha funny shit right there...wrong..but hilarious.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah! And how come all those fast people get to run in the Olympics?  I want to run in the Olympics! Lower the standards for me. Everybody should be equal!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Jane Lynch asks that you not used the word "retard"

It's an appropriate clinical term.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Just to clarify, my brother in law is fairly smart in school but his down's mostly manifests itself in his limited social ability (social skills of a 13 year old), his attention span (he's smart but he STRUGGLES badly to focus almost like he has adhd), and his appearance.

I think the fact that the average person my age (twenties) struggles with most basic concepts including math, work ethic, morality, integrity, time management and almost any life skill you can list says a lot about what we "learn" as kids.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah! And how come all those fast people get to run in the Olympics?  I want to run in the Olympics! Lower the standards for me. Everybody should be equal!

Holy shit yeah lets just round up all the retards and put them to work int he coal mines they'll never be usefull
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job, man.

Let me tell you one about someone I knew in college.

She came to this country from Poland 10+ years ago.  She had cerebral palsy and used crutches to get around(or a walker when it was snowy or rainy), but was able to drive and work.  Her family became citizens and she graduated a year before I did.  Last I heard she was going off to get a four year law degree.

What exactly does that have to do with down syndrome and mental retardation effecting someone's ability to learn? It is a great heart tugging story but we aren't liberals and don't let our emotions overpower our brains
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hey is this the kind of retard that drools and rubs shit in his hair and all that, 'cause I'm gonna have a hard time eatin' 'round that kind of thing now. Just like I am with antique furniture and midgets. You know that, I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture.

nice SlingBlade reference !

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top