Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2011 7:42:58 PM EDT
i was adopted by a stray kitten about a week ago.  she showed up on the back patio one day, i played with her a little and she decided to stay.  she's maybe 2 months old and nothing but skin and bones (i'm working on fattening her up).  i noticed a couple of days ago that her food and water were empty in the morning.  there's no way a tiny thing like her would be able to finish either overnight.  i figured it was either a possum or another cat.  well tonight i caught the possum sniffing around on the patio while the kitten jumped up on a window sill and hissed at it.  i ran it off and put her food inside for the night.  so my question is, what is the likelihood that the possum would attack the kitten?  i would bring her in but i have an older cat that doesnt play well with other cats that would most likely kill her and then piss/shit on my bed to get back at me...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You live in TX....

SSS
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Whack possum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Kill the possum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Possum will fuck up a lot of shit, including a cute furry kitten.  Terminate possum with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
why you guys always wanna kill da possum?  let alittle food on your property he wont come to your patio
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
That possum will kill and eat that kitten.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
why you guys always wanna kill da possum?

There is no creature as expendable as the american possum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]
My cats and possums seem indifferent to each other for the most part.

I'd still kill the nasty fucking thing anyway.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
dude, get one of your awesome guns and destroy the possum. This shit isnt hard.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
make possum dead
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even Wild hogs? atleast they taste good

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on the kittens preference,

Does it like to be eaten ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
the quietest gun i have is a Glock 23 and i'd rather not have every neighbor calling the cops.  whats the next most efficient possum exterminator?  shovel?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
ccc
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
why you guys always wanna kill da possum?  let alittle food on your property he wont come to your patio

WTF in the south it is a staple of the food chain..
I was 4 when this happened.
My grandfather had a cat, a giant fat as shit mean as shit cat, a cat the neighborhood cats respected and looked up to.  The only ones he let pet him or feed him was my gramps and me.
One night big boy the cat's name was out humping some chickiy kittehs and getting his cat on and he spied this retarded grey ghetto kitteh chowing on his grub... big boy was not having none of that ghetto kitteh welfaring his chow. He attacked and 4 more ghetto kittehs also on section 8 and kitteh welfare came out of their nest.
Big boy got fucked up so bad he almost died on the way to the vet.  My buddy lost an eye, got gutted and stitched up and lost the use of his back right leg.  So that is what started my possum hatred, god damned ghetto kittehs. My gramps built traps and axe handled them into mush every morning, I helped with the garden hose and when I got a bit bigger got to splatter ghetto kitteh brains also.

So get that itty bitty kitteh the hell inside before it becomes a ghetto kitteh's snack or bitch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Wait, which variety of possum is it?

Or

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Unless the possum has rabies or is starving it won't bother the kitten.  I have several possums that show up every night to eat food that dropped on the ground from the bird feeders or the food I throw I for them.  They will just walk right by my cats without a care for or against them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Subsonic .22

Make sure you get him in the skull
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Possum>>>cat.

Kill the cat and feed it to the possum.

It's the ARFcom way
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Opossums are all talk no walk. They may hiss alot but if you get close enough they will play dead.

I really don't understand why there is so much opossum hate here, they are about as harmfulul as a cat and less likely to carry rabies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Possum tend to talk a big game but a shovel to the head works pretty good, if you dont mind getting close as they spit and hiss up a storm.  Had a lot of calls to the dorms about a scary monster that would show up as people were smoking outside and wouldnt let them into the building back when I worked campus security.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#23]
buy an anteater fuck the kittys and possums
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Kill the d*mn thing.

The possum, not the kitten of course.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Kittens love pitbulls though!

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I think their is a disease cats can get from the urine of the Possum.. No shit. Might look into that if your cat is staying outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You live in TX....

SSS

Quoted:
Quoted:

Squirrels and/or praire dogs might be.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
the quietest gun i have is a Glock 23 and i'd rather not have every neighbor calling the cops.  whats the next most efficient possum exterminator?  shovel?

I have a piece of granite that I call " the stone of death" it weighs about 50 pounds and is stained with the blood of many possums the dogs have gotten ahold of.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:00:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Do you have a golf club?  Tee off on Mr. Possum if you can't shoot it.  Or use archery.  Or trap it in a garbage can and then drop it out of an airplane.  Or build a trebuchet and hurl it into your neighbors poolside cabana.  People in nice neighborhoods never expect trebuchets, that's what makes that plan so awesome.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Need pics of kitteh.

Oh yeah and kill the possum.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do you have a golf club?  Tee off on Mr. Possum if you can't shoot it.  Or use archery.  Or trap it in a garbage can and then drop it out of an airplane.  Or build a trebuchet and hurl it into your neighbors poolside cabana.  People in nice neighborhoods never expect trebuchets, that's what makes that plan so awesome.  

Heh- THIS is why the North won the war!

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Possum will fuck up a lot of shit, including a cute furry kitten.  Terminate possum with extreme prejudice.

Probably.  O'Possum ate my chicks too.  I caught him inside the cage with feather on his mouth.  So I knew it was him.

I lost 2 kitties.  I thought it was the wandering tomcat.  So I dispatched him.  Then two raccoons came by were eating
the cat food.  So I dispatched him too.  I was lost another kitty.  So, it must not have been the tomcat or the raccoons.
I only have 1 kitty left

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That possum will kill and eat that kitten.

Very possibly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't understand the hate for possums either.  You all sound like my wife.

They actually perform a pretty important job...helping dispose of carrion, cockroaches and rats.  If we pay a little freight in the form of some cat chow, so be it.  Stomach content studies seem to indicate that possums that consume pet food still eat more of the other stuff we want them eating.

I suppose if a possum can catch a rat and eat it, it might be able to do the same to a kitten.  But I've never seen a possum move fast enough to catch a defensive cat, and they have pretty crappy eyesight as well, so I'm a bit skeptical as to the real risk.  We aren't talking apex predator here.  In fact, I've never seen a possum act predatory to anything larger than a frog.  So I'm a bit surprised they prey on rats.  But I wonder if the rats-as-food are nest babies rather than mature rats.  Nest raiding is something of which possums are very capable.

I'd put the kitten's food up on something the possum can't climb but that the kitten can jump up to and the possum will eventually stop coming by.  They apparently migrate readily in response to food (or a lack thereof) rather than being very territorial.  And they supposedly test out somewhere between pigs and dogs in terms of intelligence.  So they are likely capable of learning not to bother with your patio if food, water, shelter and sex aren't available to them.  Hide the food and tell kitty to keep her legs crossed and that possum will move on the greener pastures.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.  O'Possum ate my chicks too.  I caught him inside the cage with feather on his mouth.  So I knew it was him.

I lost 2 kitties.  I thought it was the wandering tomcat.  So I dispatched him.  Then two raccoons came by were eating
the cat food.  So I dispatched him too.  I was lost another kitty.  So, it must not have been the tomcat or the raccoons.
I only have 1 kitty left

Coyotes?

if you're in Texas, they're there.  My grandad sees coyotes from time to time nosing around their garbage cans and napping under shrubs in the neighborhood.  And he lives in suburban Plano.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#37]
No the possum isn't going to attack and kill the cat.

While being one of the most disgusting creatures I've ever seen, I don't kill possums because I've never had a need to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#38]

That depends on what kind of kitten it is.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#39]
There's a possum here that comes to eat the cat food.  It never bothered my cat or tiny dog.  I've went out side to see the cat sitting two feet from it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except armadillos, lol.

FUCK POSSUMS.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Kill the possum, before it kills your kitten.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#42]
A possum might not eat a full grown cat but it will eat a little kitten or a full grown pet rabbit.  A possum is just a big fuck'n rat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#43]
.22LR kills them nicely, but if you don't have one then just put a shovel to him........
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A crossbow or small pistol crossbow will work nicely.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think their is a disease cats can get from the urine of the Possum.. No shit. Might look into that if your cat is staying outdoors.

I think it is Leptospirosis.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least they are a native species, unlike feral cats.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

A possum might not eat a full grown cat but it will eat a little kitten or a full grown pet rabbit.  A possum is just a big fuck'n rat.

Biology fail!

Its a marsupial, not a placental mammal.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Why the heck don't you own a .22?  At least pick up a $99 Cricket at Academy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Subsonic .22

Make sure you get him in the skull

This.  Its about as loud as a pellet rifle.  Just check where the brain actually is.  I aimed a little front the first time and it had to shoot him again
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Possum stew FTW.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top