Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/23/2011 11:09:17 AM EDT
I was in a parking lot accident today, and I need some advice so I can understand who is at fault.

Here is a list of events that happened.

-I walked up to my car, entered, about 15 seconds later I started it and put it in reverse.

-I looked in my rear view mirrors, then looked behind my shoulder and pulled out to my back right

-Approximately 45 degrees into my back out, I felt an impact and braked instantly.

I had no idea what I hit. It turns out the car I hit stopped in the street completely in my blind spot. I drive a truck, and the other car was a small 2 door Mitsubishi. I took out his front right headlight and there was some surrounding bumper damage. There was no damage to my bumper, barely even a scratch.

How would fault workout? I understand that this accident was technically my fault, but it was unavoidable for me in my opinion. The car was stopped completely in my blind spot.

This is my second car accident. Last week some girl t-boned me in the SAME parking lot. The insurance companies determined it was her fault. I am entirely frustrated. Both of the drivers in these accidents are Chinese foreign students and I could barely understand them. The guy I hit today refused to give me his insurance information. Normally I keep asking and get the police to come get an accident report, but I had to be somewhere and there was no damage to my car.

UPDATE: I am paying for the damage to car.

MS paint depiction of accident. Angles are inaccurate.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#1]
your fault 99% of the time, sorry bro i know it's not fair. i had the same thing happen a few months ago too.

eta: i like his mister potato car better
Asian Drivers, No Survivors

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]
you backed into him.

your fault.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Private property so no ones at fault.

Your company should fix yours and theirs should fix theirs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
He didn't provide any info, did you provide yours to him?
Accident, I wasn't in any accident

Only kidding. I would say if I backed into someone I would be at fault.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Should I even bother calling my insurance company since there was no damage to my car? We exchanged info, but I have no idea what company he has. He had to write everything down for me.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#6]
The guy I hit today refused to give me his insurance information.

If you exchanged information, but he refused to provide his insurance information.. I am wondering if he even had insurance to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The guy I hit today refused to give me his insurance information. Normally I keep asking and get the police to come get an accident report, but I had to be somewhere and there was no damage to my car.

Sorry to hear about your accident but in my non-lawyerly opinion I think you were in the wrong.  The right of way in a parking lot are in the driving lanes.  Anyone going into the right of way must yield to the right of way.  

I feel for you on the insurance bit.  I guess there are lots of folks out there without insurance.  I had a guy back into my PARKED car while I was in a parking lot.  I was not in the car at the time, but was walking out to it.  Fortunately I saw it happen because the guy was going to walk away.  He was trying to get me not to report it because he "worked for the police".    Man if you don't have insurance, just say so.  I'm not a cop so I can't haul you to jail for not having coverage.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Was he an "English language learner"? if so, he is long gone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#9]
The coke can is at fault for backing into the potato.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The guy I hit today refused to give me his insurance information. Normally I keep asking and get the police to come get an accident report, but I had to be somewhere and there was no damage to my car.

Sorry to hear about your accident but in my non-lawyerly opinion I think you were in the wrong.  The right of way in a parking lot are in the driving lanes.  Anyone going into the right of way must yield to the right of way.  

I feel for you on the insurance bit.  I guess there are lots of folks out there without insurance.  I had a guy back into my PARKED car while I was in a parking lot.  I was not in the car at the time, but was walking out to it.  Fortunately I saw it happen because the guy was going to walk away.  He was trying to get me not to report it because he "worked for the police".    Man if you don't have insurance, just say so.  I'm not a cop so I can't haul you to jail for not having coverage.  

I understand how its technically my fault, but this guy was stopped in my blind spot. He was probably checking his cell phone or something. I dont see how I am wrong.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I understand how its technically my fault, but this guy was stopped in my blind spot. He was probably checking his cell phone or something. I dont see how I am wrong.  

Because he was stopped in a parking lot and you ran into him. It honestly doesn't get much simpler than that.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he was stopped in a parking lot and you ran into him. It honestly doesn't get much simpler than that.

+1

If I were to write the report, the report wouldn't look favorably on you, no offense.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Your fault.

That's not to say he wasn't an idiot for stopping in your blind spot.

What kind of truck are you driving that you even have a blind spot when you turn your head around to look?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#14]
You were moving, he wasn't.  If you'd hit a tree, would it have been the tree's fault?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You hit him, not that it's wrong as shit happens, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
100% your fault.  you backed into a parked car, lol, how the hell could it be any one else's fault?  maybe you can avoid this in the future if you back out more slowly & watch where you're going.  the mitusbishi driver has no responsibility to avoid your blindspot, that's a courtesy.  you should, knowing there's a blindspot, take extra steps to avoid a collision.

Quoted:
Your fault.

What kind of truck are you driving that you even have a blind spot when you turn your head around to look?

i drove a 2011 4 door tacoma & it has huge blind spots on left & right rear, worse than a 4 door sedan

my single cab silverado, on the otherhand, has no blind spot except for the rear pillars, which I make sure to look fore and aft of, prior to changing lanes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Your fault.

Ford F150 with a camper, though the camper doesn't even affect my visibility. His car was simply so small and so close to mine that I couldn't see him.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was in a parking lot accident today, and I need some advice so I can understand who is at fault.

Here is a list of events that happened.

-I walked up to my car, entered, about 15 seconds later I started it and put it in reverse.
-I looked in my rear view mirrors, then looked behind my shoulder and pulled out to my back right
-Approximately 45 degrees into my back out, I felt an impact and braked instantly.

I had no idea what I hit. It turns out the car I hit stopped in the street completely in my blind spot. I drive a truck, and the other car was a small 2 door Mitsubishi. I took out his front right headlight and there was some surrounding bumper damage. There was no damage to my bumper, barely even a scratch.

How would fault workout? I understand that this accident was technically my fault, but it was unavoidable for me in my opinion. The car was stopped completely in my blind spot.

This is my second car accident. Last week some girl t-boned me in the SAME parking lot. The insurance companies determined it was her fault. I am entirely frustrated. Both of the drivers in these accidents are Chinese foreign students and I could barely understand them. The guy I hit today refused to give me his insurance information. Normally I keep asking and get the police to come get an accident report, but I had to be somewhere and there was no damage to my car.

MS paint depiction of accident

Big mistake right there. You DO NOT LEAVE until a police report is filled out! COVER YOUR ASS.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#19]
His fault. You were not moving, and he drove into you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

100% your fault.  you backed into a parked car, lol, how the hell could it be any one else's fault?  maybe you can avoid this in the future if you back out more slowly & watch where you're going.  the mitusbishi driver has no responsibility to avoid your blindspot, that's a courtesy.  you should, knowing there's a blindspot, take extra steps to avoid a collision.

Maybe you could learn how to read and realize this car was in my blind spot, I looked at the mirrors and behind my shoulder, and saw nothing. He also wasnt parked. He was stopped in the lane. I'd like to know where you get your X-ray vision or maybe you do frequent walk arounds your vehicle everytime you back out of a parking space. Maybe you employ a personal traffic director to guide you out of a parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Everyone is right it is your fault!

Backing up and hitting him are two strikes against you.

Lesson learned always park so you can pull straight out.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#22]
If the situation was the other way, and he backed into you and said it was your fault, you would be ok with that?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#23]
when backing out of a spot you have the responsibility to yield to traffic in the lane. stopped or not stopped is irrelevant
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you could learn how to read and realize this car was in my blind spot, I looked at the mirrors and behind my shoulder, and saw nothing. He also wasnt parked. He was stopped in the lane. I'd like to know where you get your X-ray vision or maybe you do frequent walk arounds your vehicle everytime you back out of a parking space. Maybe you employ a personal traffic director to guide you out of a parking lot.
perhaps you didn't read my post in its entirety.  so i will repeat it with the important part emphasized:

EDIT:

also, i don't use x-ray vision or a personal traffic director and i've yet to back into someones vehicle after 11 years of driving various trucks & cars.  maybe you should take my advice?  for what it's worth, i've had 5% window tint on every side & rear window of every vehicle i've ever owned, so I do take note of the things behind my vehicle before I drive in reverse

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ford F150 with a camper, though the camper doesn't even affect my visibility. His car was simply so small and so close to mine that I couldn't see him.  

It happens. A buddy of mine parked passenger side of my truck. It sits so low and my truck sits up high and I never even saw it. When I pulled out I cut it a little too sharp. I though I'd ran over a rock or something in the parking lot until I looked over and could now see his car. As you can see, the front fell off.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe you could learn how to read and realize this car was in my blind spot,....

That doesn't matter.  
You still backed into him.

A lady side swiped me because I was in her blind spot.  She got a ticket.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If the situation was the other way, and he backed into you and said it was your fault, you would be ok with that?  

I dont know where everyone is getting at that I am denying fault. I even stated twice in this thread it was technically my fault.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

perhaps you didn't read my post in its entirety.  so i will repeat it with the important part emphasized:

Enlighten me on the extra steps you would have taken that might prevent me from my negligence affecting anyone else in the future.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
your fault 99% of the time, sorry bro i know it's not fair. i had the same thing happen a few months ago too.

eta: i like his mister potato car better

Asian Drivers, No Survivors

I admit, I lol'd
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you could learn how to read and realize this car was in my blind spot,....

That doesn't matter.  

You still backed into him.

A lady side swiped me because I was in her blind spot.  She got a ticket.
It certainly matters when someone is accusing me of "not looking out" when I did in fact look out.

I didnt use that reason to excuse myself from fault.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

100% your fault. you backed into a parked car, lol, how the hell could it be any one else's fault? maybe you can avoid this in the future if you back out more slowly & watch where you're going. the mitusbishi driver has no responsibility to avoid your blindspot, that's a courtesy. you should, knowing there's a blindspot, take extra steps to avoid a collision.

Obviously not very well!!

Don't get all pissy because you messed up and hit someones vehicle. Then making it worse by becoming argumentative when everyone is saying you are wrong. Blind spot or not YOU HIT HIM and should take extra precaution because you have blind spots (or aren't a very observant or good driver)?

What if it was a kid you ran over? You're driving a 3-4000 pound vehicle and it is YOUR responsibilty!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
100% your fault. you backed into a parked car, lol, how the hell could it be any one else's fault? maybe you can avoid this in the future if you back out more slowly & watch where you're going. the mitusbishi driver has no responsibility to avoid your blindspot, that's a courtesy. you should, knowing there's a blindspot, take extra steps to avoid a collision.

Don't get all pissy because you messed up and hit someones vehicle. Then making it worse by becoming argumentative when everyone is saying you are wrong. Blind spot or not YOU HIT HIM and should take extra precaution because you have blind spots (or aren't a very observant or good driver)?

What if it was a kid you ran over? You're driving a 3-4000 pound vehicle and it is YOUR responsibilty!

Well said.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
you backed into him.

your fault.

Sorry OP, I have to agree.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Enlighten me on the extra steps you would have taken that might prevent me from my negligence affecting anyone else in the future.  

1) back out more slowly in the future

2) take note of the area behind your vehicle prior to using reverse

3) keep your eyes pointed in the direction your vehicle is travelling

4) don't run into other people's vehicles, even if you hate asians
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Technically your fault, but if you torch his car before it gets to your insurance agency then no worries.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have now stated three times in this thread that it was my fault. However, that doesnt mean it was not avoidable. The fact I could not have seen this car unless I got out and walked around my car. I would like to know what you do to prevent accidents like this.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The fact I could not have seen this car unless I got out and walked around my car. I would like to know what you do to prevent accidents like this.

well now it sounds like you're incapable of avoiding this in the future, maybe you should just hire a driver or get a different vehicle that's easier to see out of?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#38]
He who is reversing is at fault 99.99999% of the time.

You're boned. Blind spots are not defensible. Sounds like its time to readjust the mirrors and/or get extra blind spot mirrors.
Everything Ive driven from a 3/4 ton diesel to my motorcycles has had them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I had almost the exact same situation a year and a half ago.  I was backing out of a spot, everything was clear, looked forward to make sure the front of my car was clear as I was backing out.  I was slowly backing out and was 3/4 of the way out of the spot and all of a sudden BOOM, some guy comes out of nowhere and hits me.  It was almost if the guy intentionally hit me or was paying absolutely no attention to me, or was going way too fast. My vehicle suffered a tiny ding in the bumper, while the guy who hit me, his car still with temporary tags on it must have had a few thousand dollars worth of damage since his car took the corner of my bumper from hisfront fender to the end of the passenger door.

I got out and as soon as I walked up to the guy to exchange info, a witness drives up and starts yelling to the guy who hit me "go home man, I saw the whole thing and it's your fault, you were going WAY too fast in this parking lot"   Just as I suspected, the guy was flying through the parking lot and had no time to react to anybody that is safely backing out.  The witness then tells me that he will stay if I want to call the cops and he will tell the cop what happened.  Meanwhile the guy who hit me kept insisting it didn't matter how fast he was going since I was the one who had to yeild the right of way.  I decided letting the police sort things out was my best option.

Once the cop showed up he told me that this was going to be a civil matter since it was a private parking lot and therefore he can't fault anybody.  He took my info, the guy who hit me's info, and the witness info.  From there it went to my insurance company.  

I figured I was screwed, but in the end, thanks to the witness being interviewed by the insurance company, the investigation ruled I was 20% at fault and the guy who hit me was 80% at fault. I didn't feel I should have any fault since the guy was speeding through the lot, but I was ok with the decision considering all things.  The insurance company person told me that if it wasn't for the witness, I would have been ruled 100% at fault and that even though the guy did have the right of way, speeding and failing to avoid an accident were what was his downfall.  

Your situation is a bit different though, from what I read the guy was not moving at all, therefore I would say you are the one at fault.  Sucks man.

Edit to add I never park anywhere near the main thoroughfare anymore, it is just too risky with blind spots, speeders, people not paying attention etc.  I would much rather park way out were there is hardly any other cars than deal with the bs again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#40]
You just don't "look" behind your shoulder. You look OVER your shoulder with your body turned to look behind you and your right arm holding onto the passenger seat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Should I even bother calling my insurance company since there was no damage to my car? We exchanged info, but I have no idea what company he has. He had to write everything down for me.

HELL YES YOU SHOULD CALL THEM RIGHT NOW!!!

CYA

Cover your ass.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

1) back out more slowly in the future   I dont see how that would have changed anything, unless you want me to take 10 minutes backing out, hoping that someone in my blind spot eventually sees me moving and decides to get out of my way.

2) take note of the area behind your vehicle prior to using reverse I did that, as I have stated over three times in this thread. Both when I walked to my car and when I was backing out.

3) keep your eyes pointed in the direction your vehicle is travelling I was doing that, but I dont see how that would prevent me from hitting a car in my blindspot.

4) don't run into other people's vehicles, even if you hate asians I'm not sure where I stated I hate Asians. You do realize there is more to Asia than China, not like I hate the Chinese.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
you backed into him.

your fault.

This.  Nothing more to it.

You are responsible to maintain control of your vehicle, regardless if something is in your blind spot.  You failed to maintain control of your vehicle; your fault.

ETA:

After reading the OP's replies that were along the lines of "unavoidable because the other car was in my blind spot" I would very seriously suggest that the OP reevaluate the type and size of car that you drive.  If you cannot see things behind your car, or be conscious of how to see and avoid what is in your "blind spot;" it is indicative that you cannot control your vehicle.  Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an ass - but it is the truth.  

Accidents happen, but when they do, man up for the responsibility and stop trying to dodge it with the blind spot excuse.  You hit him, period.  Man up, and either have your insurance, or pay yourself, for him to have his car fixed - you damaged his property through your negligence.

Would you be claiming that the accident was unavoidable if you merged into traffic and hit a car that was also in your blind spot on the highway?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Jesus Christ, OP.

Didn't your parents teach you about responsibility?

You don't say "I know it was my fault but".  You say "it was my fault."

See the period?

Stop with the chicken shit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm not seeing how this could NOT be your fault unless he was flying through there at 70MPH or was clearly on the wrong side of the lane (but without a line it wouldn't matter I don't think).
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Jesus Christ, OP.

See the period?

Insurance companies realize partial fault. Parking lot accidents are complicated, so I was asking for advice on that subject.

I realize now that posting this was a mistake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps he was stopped because a big fucking truck was about to back into him.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know where everyone is getting at that I am denying fault. I even stated twice in this thread it was technically my fault.  

Really?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus Christ, OP.

See the period?

Insurance companies realize partial fault. Parking lot accidents are complicated, so I was asking for advice on that subject.

I realize now that posting this was a mistake.

Some people just don't get it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top