[#1]
Retagged for the house build.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
TAG! Awesome!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:24:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrewc_c] [#3]
Absolutely incredible.

Just made it through all 24 pages. Looking forward to more updates!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aviator:

With the whole "Tiny House" thing going on, and the huge interest in Alaska as of late, I wonder if it would sell if I wrote a book about my experience. How does one go about getting something like that published? What do you guys think? Might be a good way to get some cash together for part of the house?

Aviator
View Quote

You write it, buy your own ISBN number, and publish that shit yourself. I did.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I'd completely forgotten about this thread and definitely never read it through.  There are a lot of great ideas here.  I have some land that I'd love to put a small off-grid cabin on and this has definitely wet my whistle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
With the whole "Tiny House" thing going on, and the huge interest in Alaska as of late, I wonder if it would sell if I wrote a book about my experience. How does one go about getting something like that published? What do you guys think? Might be a good way to get some cash together for part of the house?

Aviator

RTUtah, What book did you wright?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By shooters101:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shooters101:

Aviator

Thread link is in my signature, but I'll PM it to you; don't wanna hijack Aviator's thread.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
This has been a very informative and inspiring thread, Aviator. Thank you for updating us on your progress, and thank you for serving.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
You should definitely write a book. Hell, I'd pick up a copy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for updates
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Did a lot of stuff in the last few weeks. will try and get photos and update this in the next week.

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool, looking forward to more pictures.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
top 5 best threads ever.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Did a lot of stuff in the last few weeks. will try and get photos and update this in the next week.

Aviator
View Quote
Stuff involving donkey dicks?  

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Just found this thread. Awesome stuff! I haven't read the whole thing yet, so I apologize if this has meet covered.  What's your elevation at the site? Does your insurance cover earthquake damage?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Aviator
View Quote
How was the cross continent trip?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Updates?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Aviator
View Quote

Guy Kawasaki's book, APE: Author, publisher, Entrepreneur, is about this very subject and might be worth a look.

http://apethebook.com/
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#20]
News?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Since we're expecting our first major snowfall of the year, seemed like a good time to bump this.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Will try and get photos up this week. I promise...

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#24]
aviator

as I live vicariously through you at times

please update

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By togadelic:
aviator

as I live vicariously through you at times

please update

View Quote

Yes and hope all is well up there
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it to late in the season to drive up there without 4x4?  Front wheel drive car make it?  Got all next week off...maybe drive up that way  How far from St. Louis?..lol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Another bump.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#28]

bump for photos
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By dropdbombnow:
Dick Proenneke - "Alone in the Wilderness" - 1967

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20120422/AITW-01.JPG

Fascinating video

View Quote

I have watched this a number of times and love it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Totally sweet man!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome OP! Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Inspector2211:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Inspector2211:
Originally Posted By dropdbombnow:
Dick Proenneke - "Alone in the Wilderness" - 1967

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20120422/AITW-01.JPG

Fascinating video

I have as well. Thanks to your link I found out about the sequel and 2 other movies with footage up there. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]
JEALOUS
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#34]

OK here are a few photos...

I am not done yet, a lot of smoothing and cleaning things up to go, but you get the idea.

Here is the little hill by the road, before and after. The garage will go in here.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66258

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66259

Same hill from the road looking back towards the property. There will be a line of evergreen trees or shrubs planted along the top to shield my property from the road.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66260

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66261

This is the new pad down below the cabin. The house will have a walk out basement, and I want to bury a conex long ways so the door opens onto this new pad. Storage you can't see, but it will be very handy and accessible. Wood shop and the fire pit swing thing will go down here.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66262

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66263

A lot of the material I dug out from the hill by the road that was extra I used to make the upper pad bigger as well.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66264

Aviator
View Quote

That soil looks insanely rich.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Below the cabin and where the house will eventually be I want to build my wood shop, and one of these!  

http://goodshomedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/campfire.jpg

Aviator
View Quote

That is awesome. I'm definitely going to have to sink some coin into something like that in the next year or two.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:05:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#36]

Thanks. I appreciate it. I myself re-read this thread now and then. It always makes me smile, well, except the drywall part.

It's kind of fun to re live the whole thing. I'll certainly do an entire web site/blog when I build the house I think.

Aviator
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cgrant26:
I can see this thread being a how-to guide for a lot of people. Another bump for an awesome thread.

And yeah, it's really easy to forget the macro and focus on the micro.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I myself re-read this thread now and then. It always makes me smile, well, except the drywall part.

It's kind of fun to re live the whole thing. I'll certainly do an entire web site/blog when I build the house I think.

Aviator

Quoting you from a year ago just to say drywall sucks. I'm in the middle of doing drywall in the house we're moving into. So much suck.

Although this reduces the suck substantially:

(more suck = less suck)
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ziegenbock:
Is it to late in the season to drive up there without 4x4?  Front wheel drive car make it?  Got all next week off...maybe drive up that way  How far from St. Louis?..lol.
View Quote

About 5 days driving hard from St Louis. ALCAN is actually better in the winter.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Just found this thread. Awesome stuff! I haven't read the whole thing yet, so I apologize if this has meet covered.  What's your elevation at the site? Does your insurance cover earthquake damage?
View Quote

Elevation is right at 400 feet. Yes Have earthquake insurance.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:35:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aviator] [#39]
So, sorry for no updates in forever. Been helping a friend who bought the lot next to me build his cabin.

This is the photos of the finished area by where the garage will be. There is a berm I built that goes along the road, and then turns 90 degrees away from the road and goes between my friends property and mine. It tapers out to nothing as it runs away from the road. On this berm / line I selected some trees and planted them. They will eventually fill in and provide good privacy.

Looking towards road

looking along road

looking away from road along property line

Trees I selected

Completed lower terrace area that will be the fire pit and guest cabin area

This should give an idea of what I am planning. First, the house will have a walk out basement onto the lower terrace, with a deck that is level with the upper terrace. if that makes sense. The garage will be in the little area near the road I built up and planted the trees by. The connex will be buried and not visible except from the lower terrace area. The doors will be where you can get into it from the lower terrace. Its a terrible drawing, but you get the idea.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:42:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aviator] [#41]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:

Shipping containers don't take too well to being buried. The sides tend to bow in with even just a foot or two of soil, and even if the top or "roof" is even with grade. And water weight, and freezing will make it worse.

If you want to bury it anything beyond setting the back corner just a few feet into the soil, no more than halfway up to it's to, you'll have to build a structure around it to take the soil load off of it.  

http://graywolfsurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/shipping-container-roof-crushing-in.jpg

http://www.prepper-resources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/shipping-container-3-300x225.jpg

If you already knew this, or had some plan around the problem, nevermind.
View Quote

Had no idea. I'll have to do some planning for that I guess. Perhaps fram the inside with 4x4s every so often? I was planning on a foot or two soil on the roof. Thanks!

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Snow, Ice?????

This is Alaska, right?

I think your cabin is awesome, thanks for all the pictures of your place.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the update. Neat stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJ_Dual] [#44]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Yeah, shipping containers are really strong, but only on the box-tube edges, the lift points for the crane, and the floor. The sheet metal corrugated sides seem 'strong' as compared to normal stick-built and drywall building materials, but as compared to your basic compressive load like mortar and cinder blocks could handle, it's very weak.

My idea to make it "cheap" to bury a container would be if there's a supply of used old tires in town you could get a truckload of them dumped off. You should be able to get them for free, or maybe even be paid a few dollars to take them if you convince the tire place you're not going to dump them in the woods somewhere.

You could make a gravel bed for the container, ringed with French Drain tubes sloped and pointed towards the outside drop in grade, then build berms/walls with old tires filled with rammed earth a few inches from the container's sides, with a slight outward slope. Hammer in cut rebar pins from one rammed earth tire to the row below it.  Spray the container with a bitumen asphalt coating, then fill the narrow gap between the tires with gravel, or just leave it as a void. Span the tops of the tires with posts, Then make some kind of a ridge-pole down the centerline of the "roof" made of posts, cover each side with sloped gravel, then put a heavy 10mil plastic sheet so it's got some slope to the outsides of the tires for diverting rain and snowmelt. Then cover it with your soil.

It's the cheapest way I could think to do it and know it'll last.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/6s4multimedia/ecobuild/images/tire_work.gif

Although, once you've gone through the trouble to build a rammed earth tire foundation wall, I'm not sure there's really that much benefit of putting a shipping container in it?

The other idea that's "cheap" is if you had lots of rocks on your property, I don't know what they're called, but there's these Hesco-barrier-like things made of chain-link wire, filled with rocks instead of dirt. You'll see them used as retaining walls, and berms on road bridges sometimes.

Found it. They're called "Gabions".

http://www.gabion1.com.au/retaining_wall_seats.jpg

Although your property doesn't look like it's got a ton of stones you could just scoop up and fill the "gabions" with.

View All Quotes

Shipping containers don't take too well to being buried. The sides tend to bow in with even just a foot or two of soil, and even if the top or "roof" is even with grade. And water weight, and freezing will make it worse.

If you want to bury it anything beyond setting the back corner just a few feet into the soil, no more than halfway up to it's to, you'll have to build a structure around it to take the soil load off of it.  

http://graywolfsurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/shipping-container-roof-crushing-in.jpg

http://www.prepper-resources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/shipping-container-3-300x225.jpg

If you already knew this, or had some plan around the problem, nevermind.

Had no idea. I'll have to do some planning for that I guess. Perhaps fram the inside with 4x4s every so often? I was planning on a foot or two soil on the roof. Thanks!

Aviator

Yeah, shipping containers are really strong, but only on the box-tube edges, the lift points for the crane, and the floor. The sheet metal corrugated sides seem 'strong' as compared to normal stick-built and drywall building materials, but as compared to your basic compressive load like mortar and cinder blocks could handle, it's very weak.

My idea to make it "cheap" to bury a container would be if there's a supply of used old tires in town you could get a truckload of them dumped off. You should be able to get them for free, or maybe even be paid a few dollars to take them if you convince the tire place you're not going to dump them in the woods somewhere.

You could make a gravel bed for the container, ringed with French Drain tubes sloped and pointed towards the outside drop in grade, then build berms/walls with old tires filled with rammed earth a few inches from the container's sides, with a slight outward slope. Hammer in cut rebar pins from one rammed earth tire to the row below it.  Spray the container with a bitumen asphalt coating, then fill the narrow gap between the tires with gravel, or just leave it as a void. Span the tops of the tires with posts, Then make some kind of a ridge-pole down the centerline of the "roof" made of posts, cover each side with sloped gravel, then put a heavy 10mil plastic sheet so it's got some slope to the outsides of the tires for diverting rain and snowmelt. Then cover it with your soil.

It's the cheapest way I could think to do it and know it'll last.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/6s4multimedia/ecobuild/images/tire_work.gif

Although, once you've gone through the trouble to build a rammed earth tire foundation wall, I'm not sure there's really that much benefit of putting a shipping container in it?

The other idea that's "cheap" is if you had lots of rocks on your property, I don't know what they're called, but there's these Hesco-barrier-like things made of chain-link wire, filled with rocks instead of dirt. You'll see them used as retaining walls, and berms on road bridges sometimes.

Found it. They're called "Gabions".

http://www.gabion1.com.au/retaining_wall_seats.jpg

Although your property doesn't look like it's got a ton of stones you could just scoop up and fill the "gabions" with.

Earthbag construction would be another cheap option.  Essentially its 50 pound feed bags filled with dirt and tamped into place like sandbags, with a couple strands of barbed wire between each course of bags (helps tie the wall together).
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#46]
So, sorry for no updates in forever. Been helping a friend who bought the lot next to me build his cabin.

This is the photos of the finished area by where the garage will be. There is a berm I built that goes along the road, and then turns 90 degrees away from the road and goes between my friends property and mine. It tapers out to nothing as it runs away from the road. On this berm / line I selected some trees and planted them. They will eventually fill in and provide good privacy.

Looking towards road

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5537/73288.JPG

looking along road

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5537/73290.JPG

looking away from road along property line

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5537/73291.JPG

Trees I selected

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5537/73289.JPG

Completed lower terrace area that will be the fire pit and guest cabin area

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5537/73287.JPG

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5537/73286.JPG

This should give an idea of what I am planning. First, the house will have a walk out basement onto the lower terrace, with a deck that is level with the upper terrace. if that makes sense. The garage will be in the little area near the road I built up and planted the trees by. The connex will be buried and not visible except from the lower terrace area. The doors will be where you can get into it from the lower terrace. Its a terrible drawing, but you get the idea.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5537/73292.JPG

Aviator
View Quote

When did you add the awning roof? Looks nice. Also, I think that's the first time you posted pics of the exterior from that angle. Really looks awesome.

Now you need one of these to cut and split all those logs.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Just found this thread. Very cool.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By die-tryin:
View Quote

Right?  OP is doing it like a BOSS
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By die-tryin:
View Quote

One of my favorite threads.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Any updates?

Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top