Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2011 10:29:48 PM EDT
Long story short. About 10 days account, I stopped using my debit card and started paying cash for all purchases after checking my account and seeing that I had a balance of about $10. Today in the mail, I got a letter from my bank (Bank of America) showing overdraft charges on days that I did not use my debit card, as by that point I'd already switched to using cash that I had around.

How can I be overdrawn for purchases I did not make? I have no automatic withdrawals from my account for any services/loans, etc. I'm thinking fraud, maybe? I don't know how anyone could have gotten a hold on my personal information though. To compound the problem, I won't have ANY money until the 1st of next month. And even then, I won't be able to pay off the exorbitant overdraft fees. What the hell am I supposed to do?
ETA: It might be noteworthy to point out that several months ago, I noticed insanely large and suspicious "purchases" from a local gas station that I would sometimes buy food at, to the tune out about 3 times what I would spend there in a given trip. And yes, I had the receipts to compare to my bank statement. I'm not saying this is related, but it makes me question how secure my account has been...

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't you balance your checkbook? If you did, you should have known how much should have been in your account. File a fraud complaint immediately. I always have a ballpark idea of how much is in my account and what is available at any given time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Long story short. About 10 days account, I stopped using my debit card and started paying cash for all purchases after checking my account and seeing that I had a balance of about $10. Today in the mail, I got a letter from my bank (Bank of America) showing overdraft charges on days that I did not use my debit card, as by that point I'd already switched to using cash that I had around.

How can I be overdrawn for purchases I did not make? I have no automatic withdrawals from my account for any services/loans, etc. I'm thinking fraud, maybe? I don't know how anyone could have gotten a hold on my personal information though. To compound the problem, I won't have ANY money until the 1st of next month. And even then, I won't be able to pay off the exorbitant overdraft fees. What the hell am I supposed to do?

If they are fraudulent then file a claim.

If not, sell some guns or ammo you don't need, and I'm talking really don't need.(this includes pretty much everything but a hunting rifle and a pistol to me). You don't want debt and fees piling up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Don't you balance your checkbook? If you did, you should have known how
much should have been in your account. File a fraud complaint
immediately. I always have a ballpark idea of how much is in my account
and what is available at any given time.

I know how much I had when I last used my debit card, and I almost always keep track of my balance. The one time I stop paying attention for a few days, something like this shit comes up.

Quoted:

If they are fraudulent then file a claim.

If not, sell some guns or ammo you don't need, and I'm talking really don't need.(this includes pretty much everything but a hunting rifle and a pistol to me). You don't want debt and fees piling up.
Don't have any guns anymore. Already got rid of them all. Still have some ammo around, though.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you need to log into your account online and see what transactions fucked your shit up.  File fraud claim if appropriate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
You only have 24-48 hours to dispute the charges on debits. After that you are screwed and will never get your money back and the bank will not help you. Cancel the fake visa or master card. Then open a new checking account and close the old one.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sounds like you need to log into your account online and see what transactions fucked your shit up.  File fraud claim if appropriate.

Can't get into my online account. I've had chronic log-in problems for a long time that I haven't got around to fixing. For this reason, I'm used to either phoning in, or checking the ATM about 2 blocks from my house.

I know, I know, laziness on my part, but I still pay into to what gets spent where.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Many years ago I was in the same boat with wells fargo. I stopped using my card because my account was at 5 dollars.  What happened is I something  I purchased a few days before that took about five days to go through so when it did it overdrafted me.  Wells farge racked up about 300 dollars in bullshit fees over the month or so I thought my account still had 5 dollars in it.  I never paid those fucks. If they had charged me 20 bucks or something I would have paid them but that shit was insane. After about a year of cash only I was able to get another account. The collection agency still tries to collect that debt and it has been about 7 years now. I don't care if I am a millionaire someday I will never ever pay that fucking bill.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You really need to take care of your shit and get you online account squared away pronto!

I check my account almost every day. Two weeks ago I noticed a $514 charge to Lego Land in California which was obviously not mine. This was on a Sunday. I immediately called the 800 number to Wells Fargo, disputed the charge, cancelled my card and ordered a new one. It sent me into overdraft a few days later. I went down to the branch, explained my situation and gave them my claim number. They reversed my overdraft charges and my account was credited the $514 within a few hours.

You gotta be proactive with your money and identity otherwise you are just letting who evers stealing your money fuck you right in the ass.........figuratively
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the quick advice, guys. Tomorrow after school I'm heading to the bank, explaining the situation, and if I can't get it taken care of immediately, I'm still going to close my account ASAP. I no longer trust BoA's ability to protect my money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Many years ago I was in the same boat with wells fargo. I stopped using my card because my account was at 5 dollars.  What happened is I something  I purchased a few days before that took about five days to go through so when it did it overdrafted me.  Wells farge racked up about 300 dollars in bullshit fees over the month or so I thought my account still had 5 dollars in it.  I never paid those fucks. If they had charged me 20 bucks or something I would have paid them but that shit was insane. After about a year of cash only I was able to get another account. The collection agency still tries to collect that debt and it has been about 7 years now. I don't care if I am a millionaire someday I will never ever pay that fucking bill.

lol, I admire your determination, although I'm not sure I would take those sort of chances, myself.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
You realize this is YOUR money right?  Sounds like you don't really care enough about it.  "A fool and his money..."
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You realize this is YOUR money right?  Sounds like you don't really care enough about it.  "A fool and his money..."

Yes, yes, I know. Still, one week w/o checking my balance, or using my debit card at all, and I end up with $170 of overdraft fees? There's something wrong with that situation.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#13]
This doesn't sound like the banks problem...it's yours. You need to look at your statement and see what transactions put you under and gave you the fees.

Fix your online login asap. I check my account online just about everyday only takes a few seconds. Like another member pointed out––it can take several days or even weeks for certain companies to debit your account.

Also, if you find that you are overdraft and it is your fault try and talk them into reducing the fees...you know, just this once !
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Officemax pulled a triple charge on my debit account, i.e. the charged an identical charge 3 times in a span of about 20 seconds.

I filed a complaint with my bank and they began an investigation

Officemax was able to pull a 4th charge about a week later.  All were identical, only one had my consent (and signature)

My bank couldn't explain how the 4th charge got through after I had alerted them to fraudlent charges.  Needless to say I have a new bank

I think something roughly like this happened to me. The letter I got shows two incidental transactions on the same day, except on that particular day I didn't even leave the house.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 12:02:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes, I know. Still, one week w/o checking my balance, or using my debit card at all, and I end up with $170 of overdraft fees? There's something wrong with that situation.

Definitely.  Cancel that card at the least.  Get a new one.  

I have PNC, and they are awesome about reimbursing fraudulent charges.  I hope it all works out for ya.  But be more vigilant in the future.  170 ain't bad for a financial lesson!  I've had pricier ones!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#17]
*Leaves to go check bank account
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely.  Cancel that card at the least.  Get a new one.    

I have PNC, and they are awesome about reimbursing fraudulent charges.  I hope it all works out for ya.  But be more vigilant in the future.  170 ain't bad for a financial lesson!  I've had pricier ones!!

Yes, I realize it could definitely be worse. Hopefully I'll get this all taken care of tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Years ago I had 20 dollars in an account and someone made a couple hundred dollars of purchases online. I went in and reported what happened, blocked the account and filled out some papers. A few days later the bank asked me to come fill out more papers, so I did. Two months later when the money was still not put back and overdraft charges kept going up I call and was told nothing had been done because I still needed to fill out some more papers. I told them to keep my 20 dollars and figure it out themselves.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA: It might be noteworthy to point out that several months ago, I noticed insanely large and suspicious "purchases" from a local gas station that I would sometimes buy food at, to the tune out about 3 times what I would spend there in a given trip. And yes, I had the receipts to compare to my bank statement. I'm not saying this is related, but it makes me question how secure my account has been...

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:29:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't get into my online account. I've had chronic log-in problems for a long time that I haven't got around to fixing. For this reason, I'm used to either phoning in, or checking the ATM about 2 blocks from my house.

I know, I know, laziness on my part, but I still pay into to what gets spent where.

walk into the bank and ask them to print out a statement Then review it with the banker and they will call the fraud line and put you on the phone with a rep.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:36:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Not all charges go through immediately.  It's very possible that there were still charges pending when you stopped using your card, and they went through after you had decided to stop spending.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Call them
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got $10 that says it's an accounting error on your end.

BoA sucks donkey dick though, so I'd suggest closing the account there either way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#25]
It may not be their problem, but for the life of me I don't understand why anyone has their accounts at Bank of America.  They did their best to screw over customers before "we" bailed them out, and they still are doing it.  For the love of god go find a credit union or a local/regional bank that doesn't have a million ways to steal your money that you are lending them.  Maybe if enough people get a clue, they will be small enough to fail.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Didn't think you would notice. I won't do it again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like your perimeter has been breached.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Keep better track of your purchases.

I check all my account statements daily online to look for shenanigans.

I have been robbed more than once by CC thieves but due my diligence I always got my money back.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Debit Cards, how do they work?
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Ha ha you got BOAed!!!

They. Are. Crooked.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I read your post and I figured out the answer to your question.

You have a $10 checking account.  $10 is only ten more then zero.

Probably a recurring charge you have.

Oh and also you only have $10 in your account.

The year is also 2011 and everyone on earth except for you knows that debit card accounts with only $10 in them is a bad idea.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1.  In this day an age, not having online access to your account is pretty dumb.  You can see what charges you have instead of waiting for a monthly statement or having to find out the hard way.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#33]
OP When you checked your balance what most likely happened was something was run as credit. When a debit card is ran as credit(IE at most fast food places) the charge won't appear for a few days.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#34]
This is why keeping an up to date register and balancing your accounts is important.  I don't know how people use debit cards and don't keep a register without consistantly having overdraft fees.  Sometimes it takes two or three days for purchases to show up online, sometimes that all it takes for me to forget about a charge especially if I had several small charges in a short time.  I write it down daily and haven't have an overdraft since sometime in the early 90's.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#35]
When it happened to me, it was the former Mrs. Schlange emptying the account.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#36]
My credit unions debit/credit cards post transactions immediately.
The only purchases that take longer are gas, and none of the stations
around here do a huge credit against the pump.. All of them here do a
$5 charge at the point of sale..
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You only have 24-48 hours to dispute the charges on debits. After that you are screwed and will never get your money back and the bank will not help you. Cancel the fake visa or master card. Then open a new checking account and closing the old one.  

That's not always true. My bank says 60 days after the statement was issued.

Think about it. If you only get statements in the mail, once month, how could you correct a fraudulent charge in 48 hours?

Come on.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You only have 24-48 hours to dispute the charges on debits. After that you are screwed and will never get your money back and the bank will not help you. Cancel the fake visa or master card. Then open a new checking account and closing the old one.  

Incorrect. Please look up Regulation E on the FDIC website.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I want to point out that it took a month and a half for Ramada Inn to actually debit my account for a hotel stay. That is abnormal but I had already deducted it from my amount because I actually balance my account. Simple solution is to not spend more than you have.

What I do now is charge everything to credit cards and pay them off every month. If something is fraudulent it doesn't affect my cash flow and I dispute. I have to initiate the payment on the CC each month. No way to overdraft, I'm protected, and it's the same thing except my only bill to pay is my CC and I continually build credit. You know what? I still balance my accounts to make sure any bills that I do have tied (just a couple) plus the purchases on my card do not exceed the total amount in my account. It's called living within my means and it helps me make sure no one fraudulently uses my numbers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  In this day an age, not having online access to your account is pretty dumb.  You can see what charges you have instead of waiting for a monthly statement or having to find out the hard way.

These....

and Don't take your check card when your out boozing it up

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I read your post and I figured out the answer to your question.

You have a $10 checking account.  $10 is only ten more then zero.

Probably a recurring charge you have.

Oh and also you only have $10 in your account.

The year is also 2011 and everyone on earth except for you knows that debit card accounts with only $10 in them is a bad idea.

He had $10 in the account when he closed the card. What didn't happen was Denny's batching out their system for breakfast immediately and decided to wait until the end of the week. And that gas that he bought 2 days ago? Yeah, they only put a $1 hold on the card and then adjust it out when they batch out. Your $10 balance just became -$70 without the overdraft fees.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#42]
As others have said, check your information more frequently.  I use Mint.com and all transactions for multiple accounts are sent to me via Mint.com.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not always true. My bank says 60 days after the statement was issued.

Think about it. If you only get statements in the mail, once month, how could you correct a fraudulent charge in 48 hours?

Come on.

Not when it comes to debits.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect. Please look up Regulation E on the FDIC website.

Nope, after a day or so your bank can tell you to pound sand.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Don't forget that, besides the charges you might have had outstanding, BoA has fees that they charge you for the privelege of having an account with them... and they'll also charge you if you don't maintain a minimum balance on some types of accounts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#46]
You should probably not be buying lifetime memberships to arf.com when you only have 10 bucks in your account..

Priorities man, priorities.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is why keeping an up to date register and balancing your accounts is important.  I don't know how people use debit cards and don't keep a register without consistantly having overdraft fees.

Haven't balanced mine in about 15yrs...It's not that hard if you never use checks.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You should probably not be buying lifetime memberships to arf.com when you only have 10 bucks in your account..

Priorities man, priorities.

I had quite a bit more money at the time, to say the least.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Don't forget that, besides the charges you might have had outstanding, BoA has fees that they charge you for the privelege of having an account with them... and they'll also charge you if you don't maintain a minimum balance on some types of accounts.

This is the case with my account, though, unless they've outright lied to me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.  Someone has been dipping into your account.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top