Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You:  Okay.  I'll tell you if you promise never to use it against me.

Interviewer: I promise.

You:  If you get a solid punch right behind my left ear, I drop like a sack of potatoes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I *just* got this question asked to me by a potential client (I was doing contract work).

She asked the "What is your biggest weakness" - my response to her was, "Do you want a real answer or should I spin something into a positive" - she looked at me perplexed. I absolutely hate this question, IMO it is asked by people trying to fill space in an interview. Last time I was asked this was when I first got out of college. I am a technical person, my bill rate is high because I get stuff done. I absolutely never ask it when I am interviewing individuals because I don't see the need.

So I left her with "I get burned out" - because I do if I work too long of long sprints.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Every recruiter and career coach I've run across have stated that this is a trick question.

Don't just flat out say that your weakness is.

What the recruiter wants to hear is how you've come across a situation that might have challenged you, and how you overcame it in a professional setting.

For example, you might say:

Don't: "I'm not very good at time management. I hate it when everybody piles work on me. Fuck Obama."

Do: "When I was a newbie, I had difficulty getting work done. I wanted to make everyone happy by doing everything when they wanted it done. In doing so, I fell behind, missed deadlines, and made nobody happy. Afterwards, I learned the importance of prioritizing tasks - I asked people when they realistically needed things and when necessary pushed back on delivery dates. I was finally able to get things done and make everyone happy. Fuck Obama."

I don't think an interviewer wants an evasive bammy type answer. That's called quibbling.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think that's the dumbest question ever. It's a crutch for a weak interviewer who doesn't know how to interview someone - overtly and less-obviously - for how well they will fit into the team.

QFTMFT
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tend to be too responsible and hard-working.

This is such a platitude; everyone says this or some variation.
This is what I used last time I was asked.
"despite facing significant challenges in the past I have yet to be challenged beyond my own ability to address the challenge. Thus my weakness is twofold; I have yet to discover my own limits and what would happen if I reached them. To be succinct: I don't know the answer to your question".

Did you get the "are you a wizard?" face in response?

If the person doing the interview had half a brain, the response would have been ""Please describe some these significant challenges and how you overcame them."

No wizardry necessary.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I got it!!!

I would say:

You know what really brings me down Bob?  It's working with or for people who lack creativity and just roll around in the same box as everyone else, using and reusing ideas that just don't work.  Do you know why they do it Bob? Because they are too scared; they lack hindsight, forethought and fortitude.

How am I rectifying the weakness?  That's a good question Bob; help me help you.  I bring all the qualities the aforementioned lack.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]

I was asked this question at an interview.  My answer was, "I can't tolerate fools"

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#8]
My right arm is bigger than my left arm
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Every recruiter and career coach I've run across have stated that this is a trick question.

Don't just flat out say that your weakness is.

What the recruiter wants to hear is how you've come across a situation that might have challenged you, and how you overcame it in a professional setting.

For example, you might say:

Don't: "I'm not very good at time management. I hate it when everybody piles work on me. Fuck Obama."

Do: "When I was a newbie, I had difficulty getting work done. I wanted to make everyone happy by doing everything when they wanted it done. In doing so, I fell behind, missed deadlines, and made nobody happy. Afterwards, I learned the importance of prioritizing tasks - I asked people when they realistically needed
things and when necessary pushed back on delivery dates. I was finally able to get things done and make everyone happy. Fuck Obama."

I don't think an interviewer wants an evasive bammy type answer. That's called quibbling.

Then they shouldn't ask questions that force the interviewee to be evasive. As others have stated I am selling myself. My skills, abilities and work ethic. I sure am not going to torpedoe myself in front of you. Employers looking for blinding honesty shouldn't use this question as the litmus test for this trait.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I had an interview last week that had about 7 variations of this question.

Stupid,stupid questions.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been on hiring committees a number of times.  As an interviewer, I hate that question.  It's a waste of time.  There are far better questions to ask, period.   I try my best to throw it out of the script before the interviews start.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was asked that exact question during an interview for a promotion I received recently.

My answer:

"I have a very hard time overlooking minor problems, because they tend to accumulate into large problems."

I'm using this one on my next interview.  The last 3 interviews I went to I was asked this bullshit question.  I always wonder which bullshit answer to which bullshit question cost me the job.

LC
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Then they shouldn't ask questions that force the interviewee to be evasive.

That's the point- if someone chooses to be evasive or spew bullshit to me, they're done.  I don't want a "bullshit  answer to a bullshit question"- I want an honest answer that gives a little insight into someone I don't know yet, and I'm asking it to get to a main issue in a minimal amount of time.

I know what I'm good at and what I suck at- and I trust the organizations I want to affiliate myself with to understand that people do indeed have strengths and weaknesses.  The interviewees who don't get that aren't ones I'd hire, and the interviewers who don't get that aren't indicating their company is somewhere I'd want to go.  It can be a bullshit question coming from bad interviewers and bad companies, or it can be valid.  I've seen it both ways, and been on both ends of it.  Apparently lots of folks here have only experienced half of those permutations.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't interview well. I was raised to believe that talking about personal achievements is not a virtue. I'm just not good at talking myself up.

That middle sentence would be a great answer if you got the right question. Just need to finish it off with something like; "I let my work and supervisors speak for what has been achieved."

That would show confidence in your self and what you have to offer an employer.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's the point- if someone chooses to be evasive or spew bullshit to me, they're done.  I don't want a "bullshit  answer to a bullshit question"- I want an honest answer that gives a little insight into someone I don't know yet, and I'm asking it to get to a main issue in a minimal amount of time.

I know what I'm good at and what I suck at- and I trust the organizations I want to affiliate myself with to understand that people do indeed have strengths and weaknesses.  The interviewees who don't get that aren't ones I'd hire, and the interviewers who don't get that aren't indicating their company is somewhere I'd want to go.  It can be a bullshit question coming from bad interviewers and bad companies, or it can be valid.  I've seen it both ways, and been on both ends of it.  Apparently lots of folks here have only experienced half of those permutations.

An interviewee is there interviewing because he wants the job. He has to gauge what kind of response you are looking for. If every HR drone was asking the question looking for the 100% truth it would be easy to answer. But many are just using it to see if you put your foot in your mouth or not.

So I will answer truthfully...

My biggest weakness is that I am " too gung ho" and "this isn't the Marine Corps". I have been told this at several different people at different places I have worked. Because people want to sit on their ass and sandbag. Yesterday I was making a delivery and my tactful polite but formal nature bothers people. "when you call me as Ms. Jones I feel I am in trouble". This is interperted by civilan employers that I am "too military" and wouldn't be a good fit. This results in me not getting the job.

So it is better for me to put some spin on it, deflect the question, or give a humorous or meaningless reply.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Chocolate.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Hunting.

Every year, at least 2x a year (opening weekend and a friends b-day early January).

Got the job.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Remain silent with a quirky smile and release a gas bomb.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tend to be too responsible and hard-working.

This is such a platitude; everyone says this or some variation.
This is what I used last time I was asked.
"despite facing significant challenges in the past I have yet to be challenged beyond my own ability to address the challenge. Thus my weakness is twofold; I have yet to discover my own limits and what would happen if I reached them. To be succinct: I don't know the answer to your question".

I interview a lot of people and I think this answer is crap.

Not trying to break your balls, ut it sucks.  

You have yet to discover your limits?   Okey-dokey

The question and the stock answer and variations thereof just plain old suck, and interview cliche'.   there's no way to answer honestly because the standard of behavior is to give some phony crap answer.

Waste of time all around.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#20]
this is a perfectly valid question as long as the interviewee does not expect a real answer. As the interviewer, I always ask this question. I do not expect some amazing insight. I want to see how the candidate thinks.

If I get an answer like "I tend to work too hard" then I know they are cattle because they follow the expected mode of answering the question.  I want an answer that appears honest with some thought behind it. Everyone practices this question, so everyone should have a rehearsed answer. If you don't have an answer, it shows you are unprepared.

If I get an answer like "I have none" I know the person is an arrogant dick who doesn't really want the job - really, you are telling me you are perfect? next.

If I get an answer like "Redheads", it tells me the person has a sense of humour and is not prone to play games - but this has to be taken in context with the rest of the interview. It could also mean condescension for the interview process and the interviewer, which would be a bad move. If you can take the interview process seriously, but show a sense of humour I think there is nothing wrong with "Redhead", but set the stage for it in the rest of the interview.

You can learn  from any question - I almost always ask "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" A person who can answer that correctly without blinking always moves up on my list. It helps show that they are adaptable since it is not a common question, and that they do not take themselves too seriously. The pompous people always scoff at the question.

EVERY question has value...

My favorite answer was (paraphrasing)

"Stupid people. People are not inherently stupid, so to actually act stupid on a continual basis is an act of intent. So, why would someone work at being stupid?"

Actually, I think she gave some people too much credit - some people ARE just inherently stupid...

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm surprised so many people think this is a bogus or dumb question.  As leader, knowing your folks' strengths and weaknesses helps you employ them most effectively.  I interview lots of people and even companies, and use this one often.  I am in a position where I can indeed assign duties and capitalize on this information, once its validated by performance and track record.  The information from their answer at least gives me a starting point.

I've been asked this, and my honest answer is frustation- I get frustrated seeing problems that aren't addressed, frustrated seeing ineffective leadership, etc.  I've never had my answer hurt me in an interview, and I've had more offers than jobs in my career.

The folks who say they don't have any never get an offer from me.  They're either dishonest, arrogant or lacking in self-awareness.  None of those are traits I'll hire under me.

I'm sure many organizations don't understand all this and stupid.  But there are some interviewers and some organizations that get useful info out of a question like this.

I intereview and hire.  I start by setting up the question by asking someone to tell me about their successes and strengths.  They get in the comfort area.  I follow it up with the weakness question.....if they have none....then I end the interview.  I want open, honest answers that show a capacity to self analyze and improve.  Answer is BE honest and more importantly show what you are doing to overcome the weakness.

i interview people and i think the question is pure liquid crap

the "honest answer" you adore so is just a clever version of the usual pat answer

confranted with the question, i would pick some mild fault and explain how i compensate:  "Sometimes i'm a little shy around people i meet, so i conpensate by trying to be a good listener, to get to know the person."

ta daaaaaaa..............
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Remain silent with a quirky smile and release a gas bomb.

'I just cannot stay away from your wife's snapper."

"I'm a sullen, backstabbing gossip who poisons the very air with my malice."

"I know a lot of people who need killin' "

"I'm incontinent"

"My nipple rings get infected a lot."

"I would have graduated high school if the shop teacher wasn't such a motherfucking liar"
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#23]
bullets
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#24]
To preface this: I am fat.

I looked the interveiwer in the eye, smiled, and said "Buffets"

Dude choked on his coffee, and tells the story to this day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

An interviewee is there interviewing because he wants the job. He has to gauge what kind of response you are looking for. If every HR drone was asking the question looking for the 100% truth it would be easy to answer. But many are just using it to see if you put your foot in your mouth or not.

So I will answer truthfully...

My biggest weakness is that I am " too gung ho" and "this isn't the Marine Corps". I have been told this at several different people at different places I have worked. Because people want to sit on their ass and sandbag.

Fair enough- many interviewers are indeed not using it an insight tool.

And your answer just as I quoted it would do quite well where I work, and with the others who do the hiring/firing around me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Actually got tagged with that question a long time ago - wasn't really expecting it (much younger and dumber). I answered truthfully. I replied, "I am impatient - I don't like wasted time. I make things happen." I got the job - they didn't realize how impatient I really was back then, but they learned
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Meth!

In all seriousness, if you are asked that, first give the usual answer about working too hard or maybe even let slip something about prioritizing goals.  Point is, asking that shows you that the interviewer doesn't know what they're doing and you should take charge of the interview from there. Start asking about the company, what they do, what would be expected of you, etc.  They won't even realize what you did.  They'll just think that you're awesome.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I always said, "I don't suffer fools very well."
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#30]
kryptonite
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

"Look, I'm trying to sell you a product here...me. I'm not going to tell you what's wrong with it."

i read this here on arfcom years ago, and if i am ever asked this question in an interview this is the answer im going to give.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#32]
My Interviewing partner didnt get his tux dry cleaned before the interview.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

WTF?  I think "airspeed velocity" is incorrect terminology....but what if the poor fuck never saw the movie?
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pussy.

No doubt about it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"That I have none."

"Responding to insipid questions."

'I'm an anteater."

Another classic question is

'How do you make a decision when your information base is inadequate?'

'I don't.'

But what if you HAD to make a decision.'

'Then the information must have been adequate.'

Nice
I think I would go with "meat Popsicle"

Upon considerable thought, I believe that "I am a meat popsicle" is a perfectly reasonable response to "what is your greatest weakness."
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#36]
"Oxygen, I'm like addicted to it or something."
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#37]
My weakness is not being able to gust do something halfway
I have a desire to always do it right each and every time
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
"Oxygen, I'm like addicted to it or something."

I lolled
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Kryptonite and I hate ass kissers
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Politically correct answers to irrelevant interview questions.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#41]
If you make them laugh then it'll be a good day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#42]
"Enthusiasm for work tends to make me put in longer hours such that my family life suffers."

If anyone calls me a liar, I won't be offended.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#44]
why not just ask, "Why shouldn't I hire you"
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I always said, "I don't suffer fools very well."

Nice!
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I have difficulty with math. I actually tested dyslexic in math. I do weird things like reverse numbers. I always mention it in interviews. I believe in honesty.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I said "my golf game" once.  The interviewer laughed.

That's an excellent response that won't get you kicked out of the interview in a lot of industries.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#48]
No one has answered with hookers and blow yet???    I am in disappoint.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have difficulty with math. I actually tested dyslexic in math. I do weird things like reverse numbers. I always mention it in interviews. I believe in honesty.

In Before the "96" jokes!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top