Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 9/9/2011 8:54:40 PM EDT
The wife took her 1999 Yukon down to Firestone to get the front brakes done. She found an online coupon for $25 and based on their posted prices, we were figuring less than $150 for new brake pads and rotors turned with tax.

$1190 + Tax, they found (17) items that they "recommend" along with that they told my wife (w/ our 1 year old daughter) that not having this work done could endanger her and our daughters lives. They could get started ASAP and put 2 guys on it and have it done before 6pm. She told them she needed to talk with me.......... they instantly said that she would get an additional 10% if they could get started right away before they got "too busy"

Needless to say..... I picked it up with her and drove it down to a Mechanic friend that is an hour away. He is a great guy and honest beyond belief.

New Pads, (L-F) Caliper, turn rotors, oil change, transmission service, radiator flush and fill, new exhaust gasket, rotate tires and new wiper blades. $400 +tax, done tomorrow. He says that most of the stuff that they "recommended" was a stretch, at best.

I feel like calling the Manager at Firestone to let him know what is happening at his store. Should I, or should I just leave it alone?

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The wife took her 1999 Yukon down to Firestone to get the front brakes done. She found an online coupon for $25 and based on their posted prices, we were figuring less than $150 for new brake pads and rotors turned with tax.

$1190 + Tax, they found (17) items that they "recommend" along with that they told my wife (w/ our 1 year old daughter) that not having this work done could endanger her and our daughters lives. They could get started ASAP and put 2 guys on it and have it done before 6pm. She told them she needed to talk with me.......... they instantly said that she would get an additional 10% if they could get started right away before they got "too busy"

Needless to say..... I picked it up with her and drove it down to a Mechanic friend that is an hour away. He is a great guy and honest beyond belief.

New Pads, (L-F) Caliper, turn rotors, oil change, transmission service, radiator flush and fill, new exhaust gasket, rotate tires and new wiper blades. $400 +tax, done tomorrow. He says that most of the stuff that they "recommended" was a stretch, at best.

I feel like calling the Manager at Firestone to let him know what is happening at his store. Should I, or should I just leave it alone?

I had a truck overheating. Stopped at a Firestone. They noted I was missing 2 bolts on the fan shroud and wanted to address that first.

I left.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Scam his.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Those tire and lube places are liars. Get nice and close and ask politely you just want you brakes done and THAT'S IT.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad I do all my own work.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
This is business as usual with mechanics.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully the guy that fixes the rest of your stuff is nicer to you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Complain to the BBB and the mgr at Firestone and check with your local news station, many of them love to do stories like this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mechanic jobs are on my list of crap I hire out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're damn right....yeah folks..I'm out to rip you off.....I am going throw an estimate at your wife/girlfriend/whatever so big and epic it'll be the stuff legends are made of.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Oh he knows. Trust me, he knows.

So does the district manager. So does the corporate office.

Stick with your trusted mechanic. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't patronize the guy in the first place.

What, you didn't think he needed to eat this week? If the guy is honest and you trust him, then keep the guy in work.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mechanic jobs are on my list of crap I hire out.

Those that can, do. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The manager would probably appreciate your feedback, they not only like negative feedback but they like to know when their people are doing what they are supposed to. Yeah, the coupons for dirt cheap basic stuff are just an excuse to get your car into the bay. I hate those places, and never had the stomach to work that way, which is why I don't work on cars for a living anymore, I didn't have what it takes.

I'm fairly certain the "Manager" knows what went on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Im willing to bet all sorts of money that the manager is in on it... quotas and all that.

Unfortunately, as has already been said... this is right about par for those types of places (Firestone, Just Breaks... etc).  Lure you in with the promise of low price fixes and then "inspect" the rest of your vehicle for "issues."

IF you should go to one of those places DO NOT sign the agreement for them to do the 24-point inspection or whatever it is.... thats where they make their money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
That's SOP for a Brake place.  The $99 Brake job ads are a scam, pure and simple.  Think about it.    If something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Calling the manager would be like calling Obama to report the Treasury department for counterfeiting.  

Unintentionally hilarious, but ultimately, a waste of your time and effort.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're damn right....yeah folks..I'm out to rip you off.....I am going throw an estimate at your wife/girlfriend/whatever so big and epic it'll be the stuff legends are made of.

And you're in a general minority....

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Im willing to bet all sorts of money that the manager is in on it... quotas and all that.

Unfortunately, as has already been said... this is right about par for those types of places (Firestone, Just Breaks... etc).  Lure you in with the promise of low price fixes and then "inspect" the rest of your vehicle for "issues."

IF you should go to one of those places DO NOT sign the agreement for them to do the 24-point inspection or whatever it is.... thats where they make their money.

I've got news for you, Firestone ain't no different from the Dealership.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stick with your trusted mechanic. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't patronize the guy in the first place.
What, you didn't think he needed to eat this week? If the guy is honest and you trust him, then keep the guy in work.

I am too, Trust me. At $4.00 a gallon / 15MPG the wife thought she was doing us a favor by going to the shop 3 miles away. My mechanic buddy is great, will take care of me as has in the past and like to shoot guns. I actually enjoy spending money with him, as I know his family and know he is an all around great person. The wife has been properly educated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The manager probably set this policy.... I've seen alot of places pull thison the wimmenz. Pisses mine off so bad she won't even ask for an estimate (if it's something I don't have the tools to do here).
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats funny is that I've gone to chain places in need of specific services I wasn't capable of tackling myself...

Buy the parts, throw em in the car, tell them I'm paying cash and don't need a receipt...

I've had all sorts of services performed for way less than anyone would believe

And never, Ever, have I seen some sort of "We recommend" sheet.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And you're in a general minority....

did I forget to add "sarcasm" tags?
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#24]
My dad was a manager for Firestone when I was growing up.  Mid-late 80's, some new blood rolled into corporate.  This kind of thing became mandatory.

He left.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The manager would probably appreciate your feedback, they not only like negative feedback but they like to know when their people are doing what they are supposed to. Yeah, the coupons for dirt cheap basic stuff are just an excuse to get your car into the bay. I hate those places, and never had the stomach to work that way, which is why I don't work on cars for a living anymore, I didn't have what it takes.

ETA: My opinion doesn't apply to all shops, I know of a couple of dealerships and several independent shops that are very ethical and honest, and DO NOT sell services or repairs that aren't needed or warranted. Places like that really exist, and if you find one, you should use them, support them, and tell your friends about them. No not, under any circumstance base your decision on which shop to use solely on price, you will get screwed every time when you do.

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not news to me... I used to be a mechanic at a dealership.

At least going to the dealership you know you are about to spend an arm and a leg instead of  "Knew brakez for $99!!! Teh winzzzzz!!!"
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Cunt charge or pussy tax, that is what my friend calls it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

THIS!
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not news to me... I used to be a mechanic at a dealership.

At least going to the dealership you know you are about to spend an arm and a leg instead of  "Knew brakez for $99!!! Teh winzzzzz!!!"

True that.

My point though, and this is directed at all, is that upselling of services is necessary for every place from Dealerships to oil change shops.

It's the nature of the services/retail market. Like when you buy something at Bestbuy and they want to sell you batteries and a warranty.

Lines per ticket... don't perform and you get fired.

Chances are, the recommended services might be stretched a bit, but I doubt it was entirely bullshit.

The total is $1100 some dollars just because they really mark up parts, flushes, etc.

My last air filter was actually free. Parts store promotion. But at a quick lube, it would be $24 or something.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Firestone guy wanted to charge me 400 just to mount and balance tires I bought elsewhere. Drove across street to Gateway, 60 bucks. I have never returned since.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: My opinion doesn't apply to all shops, I know of a couple of dealerships and several independent shops that are very ethical and honest, and DO NOT sell services or repairs that aren't needed or warranted. Places like that really exist, and if you find one, you should use them, support them, and tell your friends about them. No not, under any circumstance base your decision on which shop to use solely on price, you will get screwed every time when you do.

+1

Same.....I've worked in Indie shops for pretty much my whole career, I have never knowingly ripped off a single person.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Your in retail, right? whats the hardest thing to do. its getting the customer to walk in the door. The coupon accomplished that. Then comes the sense of urgency. No bite? take on a" i'll give you a discount,but you need to decide now". no different than selling cars.  You will be surprised how often it works.

They don't make money unless they fix something.

Find a trusted mech, or DIY.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I could take a perfectly fine used car to Firestone or Midas here locally and I am fairly sure they would have some "suggested" maintenance based on age and mileage and "wear".  The name of the game with most chains these days is up-selling.  "While you're here we performed our 15 point courtesy and check and we noticed..."  I go to a local guy and avoid the chains.  I may wait longer because he doesn't have a fleet of mechanics working for him, but he does a good job and doesn't try to bend me over.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Your in retail, right? whats the hardest thing to do. its getting the customer to walk in the door. The coupon accomplished that. Then comes the sense of urgency. No bite? take on a" i'll give you a discount,but you need to decide now". no different than selling cars.  You will be surprised how often it works.

They don't make money unless they fix something.

Find a trusted mech, or DIY.

I am in sales, thanks Heavens I don't need to "upsell" everyone I talk too. My sales business is pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#35]
It is called up-selling your are trained and required to do it in some outlets. They are areas of concern and pushed hard by most shops.Your average technician is only paid by flagged hours. That means if the books says it pays one hour you get paid one hour no matter how long it takes. That stuff they try to sell may not be in your best interest to buy. If you do not work on your own ride you better learn how to spot a up-sell.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not a Firestone tire fan but I will say the Firestone shop in my town is probably the best tire shop in town.  They are not apart of the normal Firestone scamming chain.  Instead they are an independent dealer that deals mostly with the commercial/agriculture business.  To make a long story short, I had a funny rattling sound over bumps on my under warranty Dodge.  The dealer denied there being an issue.  I brought to truck to the Firestone shop and they found a bad tie rod end.  They did not charge me for their time of putting it on the hoist and finding the problem.

With that being said, I refused to take my vehicles to Firestone shops before moving out here.  I used to work next to a Firestone shop.  I was not impressed.

Finally, to the O.P., going to the manager won't help. The business practices comes from the top down at places like that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It is called up-selling your are trained and required to do it in some outlets. They are areas of concern and pushed hard by most shops.Your average technician is only paid by flagged hours. That means if the books says it pays one hour you get paid one hour no matter how long it takes. That stuff they try to sell may not be in your best interest to buy. If you do not work on your own ride you better learn how to spot a up-sell.

I know all about upselling. I am a salesman and a sales trainer. I also sell my products directly to Car Dealerships and salesmen. In the sales world of Alpha salesmen, I am the closer. With that being said, I refuse to sell like that. I make a great living because I have a huge client list, that trusts me. They know that when dealing with me, I care about their bests interests. Doing that makes me nice commission checks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been told that if a vehicle is really a danger, once they have found the problem, by law they can not let you take the vehicle home.  you would need to have it towed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I was dinking with my distributer and farked the threads and Firestone wanted, no kidding $400 to fix it. I took it to the guys in the tool room and they chased the thread for free.  I know live and learn.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I would not call it upselling. its taking advantage of a persons lack of knowledge, especially women when it comes to cars. He saw your woman, with a kid in tow,and  saw dollar signs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#42]
It sounds like you found a good mechanic. If I were you, I would just forget about all of the other mechanics and just send all repair and maintenance work to your guy. That way, you don't even have to deal with Firestone. I still haven't found a good mechanic in my area (Which is just outside Evansville, Indiana if anybody knows a good mechanic around here. Notify me via PM if you do), but I do most of my own mechanic work, so it doesn't matter so much.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would not call it upselling. its taking advantage of a persons lack of knowledge, especially women when it comes to cars. He saw your woman, with a kid in tow,and  saw dollar signs.

Yep.

I am gonna just send a polite email to the Store Manager and District Manager, letting them know what I found out when I went to a impartial Mechanic. In Redmond where I live, there is alot of wealthy people (I am not one of them) and refferals go a very long way. Give them a chance to fix their internal issues. I don't want anything out of it as my truck will be fixed. It is up to them to do anything with the info. (I seriously doubt they will)
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought my last set of tires for my truck at Firestone. I paid $150 less for the set at their semi-annual sale than another discount shop quoted me. I had to come back because they had to get the tires from another store and it went down hill from there. First, the other store sent two wrong weight rated tires, then when I went back a week later to get the other two correct tires mounted, the shop torqued the lug nuts so tight and un-evenly I could barely break them loose with a torque wrench and also warped a brand new set of raybestos drums. Fortunately I caught it and the drums settled back into shape. I feel lucky to get away with no damage. Next time I'll spend the extra bucks somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Thats called the "upsell" and its how mechanics measure performance.

Its a good day at the office if they can turn a oil change into an oil change, coolant flush, transmission service, ect...
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS

I hear all the time how we are all dirty thieves, but I hear it about firestone, midas, dealers, etc.
while my customers say, "thats it?"

Not all mechanics, techs are thieves, in fact I would say few are, now service writers, that MIGHT be a diferent story

At the end of the day I want to make a honest living, and people like the OP are dealing with make it
mighty hard to do.

speed

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I see an interesting paradox here - on one hand a mechanic recommending a list of maintenance items is a rip-off but on the other hand its bad ju-ju to buy a car that has not had scheduled maintenance work done
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have been told that if a vehicle is really a danger, once they have found the problem, by law they can not let you take the vehicle home.  you would need to have it towed.

That anyone believes that is one of many reasons you always bring two car keys to the reapir shop. One for the shop and one for your pocket. you give the "valet" key to the shop. They might keep the valet key but they aint keeping the car.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That sounds an awful lot like auto theft to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Complain to the BBB and the mgr at Firestone and check with your local news station, many of them love to do stories like this.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top