Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2011 4:32:54 PM EDT
Say your a single female and have 4 kids, make $8 an hour at your part/full time job.  What can you net from the system?  

I would estimate with all the food, housing, medical, etc, her '.gov assistance' has her bringing in and living better than a single mom with 4 kids with no assistance who makes about $80,000 a year.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW. I need to leave my wife and have her quit her job,

oh wait, I'm not a deadbeat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Say your a single female and have 4 kids, make $8 an hour at your part/full time job.  What can you net from the system?  

I would estimate with all the food, housing, medical, etc, her '.gov assistance' has her bringing in and living better than a single mom with 4 kids with no assistance who makes about $80,000 a year.  

Better living then someone making 80k? I'm guessing but I'd say no way. 80K is a lot of money.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I could never do it but I was thinking what a sweet deal people get when they have a section 8 house and get food stamps, welfare, and an Obama phone. Also I know section 8 houses have wifi so the occupants can "look for a job". Dam man free house, free food, no bills, free money, what a sweet fuckin deal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone on another forum calculated thus exact scenario, he did quake for rentals and she had to bare her financial soul.  She made 15k /yr at her job, but netted 45k a year with bennies.  

Exclusive of Medicaid, which you know she had.

Oh, I might mention the lady received no "welfare" per se.

It was section 8, EIC, food stamps, daycare assistance, and the big one: SSDI
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
want a shocker watch what some buy with food stamps
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sounds like a little social experiment. Go to any grocery store on the 1st and 15th of the month and post results.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

KFC

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Enough to motivate the vote, I'd imagine.  I'm so sick of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I know one woman with three kids.  She gets a $550 check for herself and $550 for each child, every month.  That comes out to $26,400 a year.  I don't know what other benefits she may be getting.

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#10]

There was an article last year that calculated that a family of 4 making 60K has less disposable income than the same situation on welfare.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/entitlement-america-head-household-making-minimum-wage-has-more-disposable-income-family-mak

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone posted an article a month or two ago about a Chicago grandmother who is "foster parenting" her drug-addict daughter's EIGHT crotchfruit.  The grandmother gets somewhere over $144,000 in payments from the state each year for being a "foster parent".
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, I work for public health for a rather large metropolitan area county and can answer your question with some measure of certainty (kinda)!! I don't actually work with the welfare system in my county, but many of the co-workers I work with do. The answer will vary by state, and even by county and city, so I can only give you numbers for my state and county. But, a year ago I was doing some training and on our break struck up a conversation with a woman who works for our welfare services. I asked her how much in aid could a single mom with two kids get. She said there were a lot of variables, but assuming all the variables equaled maximum disbursements, it would amount to roughly $30-$35k for up to 5 years (because some welfare services are limited to 5 years - typically your direct cash disbursements (though she did tell me there are ways around those limitations that allow people to receive term benefits for longer durations)). Now, the caveat is that if you are a single woman with kids, IF you worked (earning $8/hr as in your example) in many states/counties/cities that income could work/be counted against you receiving benefits (e.g. your earnings reduce how much direct cash you can receive from the welfare system by X%). So it would be better for you not to work at all as a single mother on welfare in most cases. Also, many will have the boyfriend/husband also on welfare but claiming a separate residence, or he will work and earn an income but still claim a separate residence so his income isn't counted against the woman's benefit calculations. My co-worker told me that gaming the system is rampant and those who game the system are norm is some manner, not the exception to the rule.

There are people in my county that have been on the food stamp program for 35 continuous years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck this struggling entrepreneur business owner bullshit, where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was an article last year that calculated that a family of 4 making 60K has less disposable income than the same situation on welfare.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/entitlement-america-head-household-making-minimum-wage-has-more-disposable-income-family-mak

I spend time working in the projects and section 8 neighborhoods pretty much daily.

<snip>

I find it humorous when so many here in GD show us that they believe that the bums are actually living in come kind of poverty, as if they are making a choice to live a life of lazy squalor as opposed to working and making a good living. The leeches are living the American Dream that so many of us with honor and integrity bust our asses and can't afford.

First, thanks Mattg43 for posting that. I had seen it, I remembered it, but I didn't want to attempt to find it again

Lightning_P38, I don't envy you.

And you're spot on with the last part there, and it's infuriating. Beyond words.

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Slightly off topic, but don't forget that while a family is on these .gov gimmee programs, they can make money in the underground economy as well.  Selling dope, prostitution, or just working for cash under the table when all their other "needs" are taken care of by Uncle Sugar.

I don't think is is a coincidence that these unregulated economic activities take place close to where lots of people receive .gov benefits.  Almost like it is planned that way....
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know one woman with three kids.  She gets a $550 check for herself and $550 for each child, every month.  That comes out to $26,400 a year.  I don't know what other benefits she may be getting.

Right, what does a regular working person have to GROSS to NET $26,400/year?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top