Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2001 7:36:16 PM EDT
After learning that the local police force is looking for a few officers I have decided to go apply on Monday.

My work history is made up of 15 years banking experience with 7 of those being in management. So, I have certainly got experience with the general public and the ability to handle intense situations and to diffuse those situations.  Of course, banking sucks sucks sucks sucks.........!

LE is something I have always wanted to do but just never did.

I would like to hear from any career LEOs or more specifically any rookies that might have some insights to share with me.

Family life.........red tape up the wazoo........etc etc.

Out force is nationally accredited and we're a city of roughly 20,000 people.

Currently 44 officers on patrol.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I retired do to the hard times it caused with my wife. My god, my family, my country in that order. BAD WORK HOURS AND SUCH. It was getting way to political for me. My .02 [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Why?
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
My $0.02:

To succeed in Law Enforcement.

1.) You must have an extremely high tolerance for BS and not take things personally.

2.) You must geniunely care about the comunity and the people that live there.  Police work is great fun at times, but the feeling of excitement will not sustain you for long. If its not rewarding to you, you will be miserable.

3.) You have to be respectful of everyone's rights, even the crackhead HIV+ shitbag who just pissed himself in the back of your cruiser, spat at you, and who will shit in his hand and will smear it all over the holding cell as soon as you get back to the station.

And consider this about the department as you look into it:

1.) Is it lead by career cops or career politicians?  There is overlap to be sure, but will you be able to trust your superiors? If not, DON'T do it.

Good luck.  I was one for a short time and my yet get back into it.  It is the part of my life that I am most proud of, but I honestly prefer to be a civilian right now.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto and well stated

Quoted:
My $0.02:

To succeed in Law Enforcement.

1.) You must have an extremely high tolerance for BS and not take things personally.

2.) You must geniunely care about the comunity and the people that live there.  Police work is great fun at times, but the feeling of excitement will not sustain you for long. If its not rewarding to you, you will be miserable.

3.) You have to be respectful of everyone's rights, even the crackhead HIV+ shitbag who just pissed himself in the back of your cruiser, spat at you, and who will shit in his hand and will smear it all over the holding cell as soon as you get back to the station.

And consider this about the department as you look into it:

1.) Is it lead by career cops or career politicians?  There is overlap to be sure, but will you be able to trust your superiors? If not, DON'T do it.

Good luck.  I was one for a short time and my yet get back into it.  It is the part of my life that I am most proud of, but I honestly prefer to be a civilian right now.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
A little insight into Law enforcement:

1.)Great job if you work for a Dept. with good staff, administration(Chief/Sheriff), and backing of the city counicil/Mayor.(Find out as much info about the City Government as possible.

2. Smaller Dept. usually means more bureaucracy,but more chances to undergo specialized training/assingments.

3.) Helps to be single and not have kids, Divorce rate is 75%+ in some areas and hard on kids when you're not around for birthdays, vacation, events, etc....

4.) Get used to 14+ hour days and working graves(11pm-7am) as a new officer(Court,processing, paper work, overtime,etc....)

5.) Whole process from testing to first day on the street takes 6 months to 1 year minimum (at least in California it does.Academy is 4 1/2 months, usually 2 weeks inhouse training then 3-4 months FTO. Most departments require an 18 month probation period before you are considered a full fledged officer(Means they can fire you with little or no reason).

6.) Make sure you have a clean credit report,driving record, and work history prior to starting the process. These are the most common things that will be used to reject you.

Best bet is to go on as many ride alongs as you can with the Department to get a sense as to what the department and the officers are like.

Other option you should consider is to try the reserves and see if you really like Law Enforcement( It's alot different than what most people think or know from watching countless TV shows.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try and help.

Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Great info guys.

Thanks.

Our department is lead by career LEOs and not a bunch of politicians.

Our cheif and mayor have both been "in office" for about 20 years and seem to have a good working relationship with each other and the community.  I know our mayor pretty well.

I have come into contact with many of the patrol officers on the local PD in my years of banking.

For the most part they all seem to enjoy their jobs.....sure, there are those that have their probs jsut like anywhere but they generally seem to enjoy  it.

At this point I have mentioned my plan to most of my immediate family, including in-laws.  Everyone has shared the same opinion which is that they all have always thought my personality and abilities have always lended themselves to such a role.

Community?  Yes.....I have always kept a good community face.  Banking put me in many circumstances within the community and I always enjoyed that and had good feedback from other folks as well.

The one thing I am not willing to sacrifice, at least to the extent of damage, is my family.

I and they know such a job requries much of the man and I am willing to give all I can but I of course don't want anything to jeopaardize my homelife.

More please........
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah. I have some advice.
Ask yourself "WHY" you want to on a day to day basis, deal with the scum of the earth.

1) Is it the power the state grants you? Do you get off on it? Do you desire to have such authority over the general public?

2) Is it the gun? Do you "enjoy" carrying guns? Do you like the power guns give you over the unarmed?

3) Is it the uniform? Do you like the false respect people will give you just because they fear the authority you would have?

4) It it the control? Do you feel that you are such an enlightened being that you ought to be able to imprison people?

5) Is it the car? Do you want to be able to fly down the road doing 100mph in your cruiser without the fear of getting a ticket?
After all.
Everyone will assume you are on official buisness.

6) Do you want to save people? Do you want people to thank you for helping them?

The pay sucks, you get treated like sh*t, the down time is boring.
I often wonder "why" people want to be a law enforcement officer. They usually say they like helping people, but then again, you could be a doctor or at the very least, an EMT, and get paid better.

Hell. Even a fireman. Everyone likes firemen.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
A.P.S.!   APPLY PEPER SPRAY![PUKE]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#9]
(Puke)
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
McProbablybeenintoomanycrusiersbefore:

1) Is it the power the state grants you? Do you get off on it? Do you desire to have such authority over the general public?
View Quote

I think you thought of that one...not me.

2) Is it the gun? Do you "enjoy" carrying guns? Do you like the power guns give you over the unarmed?
View Quote

I view a gun as an essential part of ones wardrobe, much like a watch or a belt.  I have been legally certified to carry for as long as has been possible.  I was raised with weapons.......yeah I luv em.....what of it?

3) Is it the uniform? Do you like the false respect people will give you just because they fear the authority you would have?
View Quote

Sounds like you have really low, read bottom of the barrell, self-esteem.

4) It it the control? Do you feel that you are such an enlightened being that you ought to be able to imprison people?
View Quote

It is not the individual officer who decides what does and what does not imprison people.
Were I so enlightened I'd be able to do many greater things than LE.

5) Is it the car? Do you want to be able to fly down the road doing 100mph in your cruiser without the fear of getting a ticket?
After all.
Everyone will assume you are on official buisness.
View Quote

I have a car and it goes fast enough for me to get my jollies.

6) Do you want to save people? Do you want people to thank you for helping them?
View Quote

Actually, yes.  Many people need saving..........and, its not always those comitting the crime................there are many many innocent victims.  Only an empty individual thrives on the accolades of others.........certainly you know that.

The pay sucks, you get treated like sh*t, the down time is boring.
I often wonder "why" people want to be a law enforcement officer. They usually say they like helping people, but then again, you could be a doctor or at the very least, an EMT, and get paid better.

Hell. Even a fireman. Everyone likes firemen.
View Quote

Like I said............everyone has a right to his own opinion.

Granted..........many of us have seen the LEO who has let his gun, his badge and his car go to his/her head.

Personally, I have grown tired of crime.  I have grown tired of the reality that my child can not grow up in an environment anywhere near as safe as the one I did.  Same city....same county by the way.

I am also tired of the price being paid by all the innocent bystanders.  

The drug dealers, the drunk drivers, the rapists and murderers in this country are the primary cause of all that is bad and undersirable in our society.

I find nothing wrong with the fact that I should want to try and help make the place I live in a better place.

Of course, I could be like you McUzi and sit back on my fat lazy ass and blame everyone else for the problems in the world today.  I could simply be a user such as you and never never try to give anythng back.

Hey, that would make you a parasite would it not?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
First thing you've got to learn is not to let attitudes like this get to you.  McUzi's response is typical of more people than you know.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You have received some good advise above and there is little can add to it.
I think Mc was simply asking you to evaluate your reasons for considering it as a career choice. You did and quite well.
I spent my entire adult life in law enforcement and do not regret a single moment. The one thing that struck me in your post was this though......Do not go into it thinking you will save or change the world. It is rewarding but frustrating. Crime will not be lessened, lives will not be saved (for the most part) and the world will not be rescued because you join the ranks.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Bigshooter and Gunslinger:

Thanks and you're right.

I always tire of seeing the cop-bashing threads.........so I know there are plenty of folks out there who eagerly await a chance to take their own swing.

Actually, I realize that I am not a one man cure-all for society and that crime and criminals will march on into infinity but without folks like you Gunslinger and without the many friends and accquaintances I have known in LE who did and do try to make a difference well, then society would be that much worse off.

At least the LEO helps keep things from being as bad as they would be.

People like McUzi are a dime a dozen.  Seen em' come and seen em' go.

ANd, thanks for teh advice but McUzi and all those like him never, ever really get a real taste of me.

I take them with very few grains of salt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top