Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Want to know how shit like this happens?  

Here....I'll show you -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVKVqQKcwgE

Cool.  Now give me 30 minutes and maybe my balls will crawl back down out of my abdomen.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here....I'll show you -

No shit, I was actually flinching somewhat just watching that.

I was flinching ALOT.

W. T. F.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here....I'll show you -

Cool.  Now give me 30 minutes and maybe my balls will crawl back down out of my abdomen.

*shudder*
I actually moved to the side when he pointed it at the camera. I also winced a lot when he nearly pointed it at his head with his finger on the trigger.
When I take my future kids shooting, I think they're going to get 1 round at a time and a lot of guidance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
How horrible for all involved.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The range I shoot at has similar 'swing-out' bench seats at the firing line.  I've always disliked them.  Doesn't help that the height is set via a metal pin that almost every one is now missing - so naturally, people have taken to shoving spent cartridge casings into the holes to set the height...recipe for disaster.

Tenoroc in Lakeland, FL. Shot there many times. Bad seats, worse ROs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here....I'll show you -

*shudder*
I actually moved to the side when he pointed it at the camera. I also winced a lot when he nearly pointed it at his head with his finger on the trigger.
When I take my future kids shooting, I think they're going to get 1 round at a time and a lot of guidance.

yeah, Really don't like the way Dad was yucking it up, instead of instructing
not one mention of..."Hey kid keep that away from your face....point it downrange, FINGER OFF TRIGGER"  
my kids know if they act like that (in the vid)  the guns go away.  

As far as OP...Dad should know that it was not his fault.  kid has to grow up sometime & be responsible for his actions.  unfortunate he will never be the same from this lesson
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]

I am sorry you had to experience that.

Prayers out to all involved.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
any update on the status of the child who was wounded?
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've searched several times using recent time spans and words I'd rather not repeat - and the story remains unchanged.  "Very critical" pretty much sums it up.

I pray that the teen will have a bald spot and a story to tell, but I'm not sure that's very realistic.

This story really bothers me - and I'm sure it bothers others who've had a sudden life changing experience.  To many it's a sad, sad story - to others it's a reminder of how wrong things can go, so fast, to people who don't deserve this.  

It's like a personal 9/11 - much of the future will be spoken in terms of "before the accident" or "after the tragedy".

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been struggling with your post since I read it last night. My grandson has just reached the age that I can take him to the local range. I've been looking forward to his birthday all year so that we could have some time together at the range, now I'm not so sure that I want to take him. I know what happened was a fluke but I couldn't live with myself should something like this happen.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Don't know what to say
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

wondering the same thing.  

Good job OP, need more people like you around.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
FRUIT HEIGHTS, Utah (ABC 4 News) - A 15-year-old boy is fighting for his life after he was accidentally shot in the head during target practice with his father.

The boy was standing at the firing range near a bench with seats when the accident happened.  When he tried to sit down on one of the seats, it swiveled away from him, causing him to lose his balance. He stumbled and the gun accidentally went off, with the bullet striking him in the head.

A doctor at the range administered CPR.

The boy was transported by air ambulance to the University of Utah. He is alive, but in critical condition.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Teenage-boy-in-critical-condtion-after-accident/CkqvGOHmZUiSfRcWR-wVuQ.cspx

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been struggling with your post since I read it last night. My grandson has just reached the age that I can take him to the local range. I've been looking forward to his birthday all year so that we could have some time together at the range, now I'm not so sure that I want to take him. I know what happened was a fluke but I couldn't live with myself should something like this happen.

Start out like a poster above said and single load rounds until the kid proves he has perfect muzzle and trigger discipline. Don't yell at him but be firm about muzzle & trigger control. After they prove they can hanlde one, give them two etc. Constant questions "where's your finger?" will help without putting him down.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FRUIT HEIGHTS, Utah (ABC 4 News) - A 15-year-old boy is fighting for his life after he was accidentally shot in the head during target practice with his father.

The boy was standing at the firing range near a bench with seats when the accident happened.  When he tried to sit down on one of the seats, it swiveled away from him, causing him to lose his balance. He stumbled and the gun accidentally went off, with the bullet striking him in the head.

The boy was transported by air ambulance to the University of Utah. He is alive, but in critical condition.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Teenage-boy-in-critical-condtion-after-accident/CkqvGOHmZUiSfRcWR-wVuQ.cspx

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was a LE range instructor, we allowed the children of our LEOs to come up and get a little shooting in when we had down time.

We had pretty simple guidelines: the kids had to be at least 12 years old, the parents had to allow the range instructors to "train" the kids, and only one round at a time was to be loaded.  Small caliber target pistols were used when available, because our duty pistols (Glock 22) were too much for brand new kid shooters.  Not to get preachy or anything, but somebody mentioned a 7 year old firing a gun.  Not a good idea in my opinion, but of course that's just my useless opinion.  Yes, kids of all ages should understand and respect firearms, but the physical capabilities of very young kids is not up to the task.

By the time the kid is 15, as in this case, we'd give them quite a bit more lee way as far as loading a full magazine - after we were convinced they could handle it.  We also limited all shooting to standing at the 7 yard line.  We thought using benches or shooting at closer or longer distances just didn't make sense.

Sorry for the hijack.  OP, you sound like a good guy to have around during an emergency.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I told my 2 boys about this today. They are 9 and 11, and both started going to the range with me at age 7.
Well I'm very happy to say that they must really be listening to what I tell them while we practice.
The first thing my 9 year old said when I told him how it happened was, "Why would he try to sit down without putting the gun down first?"
I tell them all time that they aren't allowed to do anything but shoot down range while a gun is in there hand. Not scratch their nose, adjust their ear protection,  straiten their glasses. Nothing until the gun is down on the bench facing down range. Well apparently they listening.

Very trajic story. I hope the young man pulls through.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When I was a LE range instructor, we allowed the children of our LEOs to come up and get a little shooting in when we had down time.

We had pretty simple guidelines: the kids had to be at least 12 years old, the parents had to allow the range instructors to "train" the kids, and only one round at a time was to be loaded.  Small caliber target pistols were used when available, because our duty pistols (Glock 22) were too much for brand new kid shooters.  Not to get preachy or anything, but somebody mentioned a 7 year old firing a gun.  Not a good idea in my opinion, but of course that's just my useless opinion.  Yes, kids of all ages should understand and respect firearms, but the physical capabilities of very young kids is not up to the task.

By the time the kid is 15, as in this case, we'd give them quite a bit more lee way as far as loading a full magazine - after we were convinced they could handle it.  We also limited all shooting to standing at the 7 yard line.  We thought using benches or shooting at closer or longer distances just didn't make sense.

Sorry for the hijack.  OP, you sound like a good guy to have around during an emergency.  Nice job.

my 7 yr old only shoots a .22 rimfire  rifle from prone or a bench with a bipod. he is very safe and can hit what he is aiming at.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#20]
UPDATE

Sheriff's office called this afternoon. There's a debriefing / grief counseling meeting Tuesday night for all that were there at the range. I guess they are in contact with a lot of people, and some aren't feeling too good. I hope to get a personal update then.

There is a little thing called "HIPPA" that insures patient privacy, and I'm not in direct care of this young man, so I could be prosecuted for looking up his information on the hospital computer system.
But, I hear "through the grapevine" that surgery discovered sinus/skull damage, but that his hemispheres were intact. I also hear that he is squeezing hands of people at the bedside in response to questions. That's all heresay, you understand, and I have no source or confirmation of that.
If that's true, that is a miracle.

My 7 year-old son is doing well. We read "Where the Red Fern Grows" over the summer, a chapter every night before bed.
I went back to the part where Rubin Pritchard falls on the axe. It was an accident, he fell on the ax and was killed. It is a powerful chapter, and we talked about it after we read it the first time. We read the part where Billy's grandpa gives him back the ax and Billy's feelings about coming to grips with the ax as a tool, and that the ax wasn't guilty, he needed the ax as a tool to hunt with his dogs.
My boy will remember this lesson. I told him not to ever forget it, and if he has questions or feels sad he can talk about it, but we're done talking about it for now.

Please keep up your faith and prayers for this boy and his family.
I see blood/guts every day, the part I can't get my head around is the sound of the father's grief. I have 3 kids, 16, 7, and 2. I would be..... I don't know where i'd be if I were in his shoes....
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Sheriff's office called this afternoon. There's a debriefing / grief counseling meeting Tuesday night for all that were there at the range. I guess they are in contact with a lot of people, and some aren't feeling too good. I hope to get a personal update then.

There is a little thing called "HIPPA" that insures patient privacy, and I'm not in direct care of this young man, so I could be prosecuted for looking up his information on the hospital computer system.
But, I hear "through the grapevine" that surgery discovered sinus/skull damage, but that his hemispheres were intact. I also hear that he is squeezing hands of people at the bedside in response to questions. That's all heresay, you understand, and I have no source or confirmation of that.

These are helpful. You should go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the son committed suicide?

That's what it sounds like.

OP, don't let this sour your son on shooting. It's incredibly tragic, but that's the risk associated with our hobby. Just like motorcyclists sometimes crash and skydivers sometimes burn in, shooters sometimes get shot. There's a safety lesson here that he'll almost certainly remember for as long as he lives.

It almost makes me cry, but yea, lesson for ALL of us

trigger finger and muzzle awareness, always

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Go. They help. There is no weakness in going.

Remember, if the kid pulls through, you are going to be his and the father's hero.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here....I'll show you -

Who ever is letting that kid shoot that is a fucking idiot. That kid had his finger on the trigger while cocking the hammer almost every time, had the muzzle pointing straight up just a few degrees from being pointed at his head and his finger on the trigger and not once was he corrected by who ever was talking.

There was no safety instruction or adult supervision in that video at all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
UPDATE

My 7 year-old son is doing well. We read "Where the Red Fern Grows" over the summer, a chapter every night before bed.
I went back to the part where Rubin Pritchard falls on the axe. It was an accident, he fell on the ax and was killed. It is a powerful chapter, and we talked about it after we read it the first time. We read the part where Billy's grandpa gives him back the ax and Billy's feelings about coming to grips with the ax as a tool, and that the ax wasn't guilty, he needed the ax as a tool to hunt with his dogs.
My boy will remember this lesson. I told him not to ever forget it, and if he has questions or feels sad he can talk about it, but we're done talking about it for now.

I see blood/guts every day, the part I can't get my head around is the sound of the father's grief. I have 3 kids, 16, 7, and 2. I would be..... I don't know where i'd be if I were in his shoes....

Good on you, Dad.  Your son is lucky to have you, and I hope the kid pulls through.  Where the red fern grows is the best book of all time for a little boy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here....I'll show you -

That is why when I have new shooters, they get one round and a reload untill I see good gun handling skills.

I know that sounds overboard, but that is my rule, even for adults. I might let adults slide on revolvers, but all semis get one round. Plus it helps them learn to reload and charge the weapon.

I do the same thing
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Prayers for the grapevine to be accurate.

Prayers for the dad's peace, and for the doctors treating that boy to know what to do and when to do it.

Prayers for you and your family as well, Doc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17009876

FRUIT HEIGHTS — The family of a teen boy critically injured during an accidental shooting at a Davis County gun range told police Sunday there were positive signs to report.

A 15-year-old boy was taken to the hospital Saturday afternoon in extremely critical condition after accidentally shooting himself in the head with a .45-caliber handgun while target shooting with his father at the Wasatch Shooters Association Public Shooting Range.

The family has asked the Davis County Sheriff's Office not to release the boy's name. Sunday, Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. Susan Poulsen said the family told her that the boy was improving and actually "responding" to hospital workers and family members to basic commands, though he is still not able to speak.

An official condition from the hospital was not known Sunday due to federal privacy laws.

Poulsen said the boy's family has requested privacy during this difficult time.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

UPDATE

I teared up at this post.

Great analogy.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I hope the kid pulls through.

...and I hope the range does not get sued for too much.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#31]

She said he tried to sit down on a swivel seat, but fell and lost control of the gun. It discharged, shooting him in the head, she said.

They tend to discharge not by themselves but when the trigger is pulled

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, you are definitely a blessing to that families life. Do not let the tragedy keep you from what you love.

I have been in similar situations and have stayed calm as can be. I have also seen my kids stub their toe and freaked out like the father.

Fortunately for the family you were there, you are trained, and you remained calm. I pray that boy will survive and live a functional life.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
i can't even count the number of times i've seen a new shooter fire a single round, then excitedly turn to the other people to exclaim how awesome it was - with their finger on the trigger, and muzzle sweeping across everyone in sight.  Better if that happens with an unloaded gun. ;)

You can pretty much count on it.  My father taught me to stand directly behind new shooters and only a few inches back so you can quickly intervene to keep them down range.  I've already had two instances in the past year where I had to quickly but calmy redirect a new shooter when they started to turn like this.  These are people who were drilled on the four rules prior to entering the range.  Never take safety for granted, especially with new and young shooters.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Some days just suck, there is no way around that fact.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#35]
[
I see blood/guts every day, the part I can't get my head around is the sound of the father's grief. I have 3 kids, 16, 7, and 2. I would be..... I don't know where i'd be if I were in his shoes....[/quote]

I happened onto the scene of a fatal accident at the entrance to our subdivision about 15 years ago.

An 8 year old boy had come out of a driveway on his bike (no helmet) and was struck and killed by a car driven by a teenager in the development.

He had emerged from between two large bushes at the end of the driveway, and there was no time for anyone to react. It was not the fault of the teenager.

The boy's Dad was standing at the side of the road holding his head, not saying anything. It was their only son. Half his blood was on the pavement, having come out of his ear. I offered to intubate him (the paramedics were arriving on the scene as I pulled up) but they shoo'ed me off (I am a doctor). I checked his name in the computer of the hospital where I worked and there was just one blood gas upon arrival at the ER, nothing further was done.

Extremely sad and disturbing.

My secretary's husband was the minister at the church where they had the funeral service; they didn't attend there or anywhere, but picked it because it was a nice little white church like you might see on a post card from New England.

I will never forget that scene for the rest of my life. I can't imagine being that father.

I know how you feel, though I did nothing significant and the boy did not make it.

All the bushes at the ends of driveways in oiur neighborhood were cut down before the weekend was over.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#36]
utahman that's a great way to approach it with your son. Glad it sounds like from this and your post after that, that the kid may be a fighter.

Quoted:

UPDATE

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#37]
prayer sent
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#38]
People like you give me faith in humanity.  Good job man.

Meant for op.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Another prayer.

Sometimes God does the miracles other days He has us do them for Him.

Thank you for being Angel yesterday Doc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#40]
That's good news, and the lack of bad news is very encouraging.

From what I read, the OP is a hero.  The way I read it, the immediate application of aid is what stopped the dieing and gave the teen an honest chance.

Considering the time line, this is the best possible news - and I have to believe the prayers from everyone combined with the medical professionals efforts may indeed perform a miracle.

Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#41]
You're a good dad.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#42]
so sad
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Thank you for posting this update. I have been thinking about this throughout the day.
Hopefully all turns out well and he recovers.
It sounds like this young man is alive because of your quick actions.
You have done more good in one weekend then most of us will likely ever be called to do in our entire lives.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Bless you and your boy. I have prayed for you both. As a Dad having been through a traumatic experience such as yours with my son all I can advise is to keep him close to you. You did well OP. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#45]
The most miraculous outcome of a through-the-skull gunshot wound injury I every heard of was where the bullet passed through the

space between the two hemispheres and did NOT damage any brain tissue!

If THIS happened, which would qualify as incredibly lucky or a miracle, then the prognosis could, just possibly be NO long-term brain injury,

and minimal attending damage.  

Not many people get THAT second chance.  But here's hoping!

CJ

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#46]
A little hope is still hope . That report sounds encouraging at least . I cant help but think utahman's  actions had a lot to do with it .

Pray harder folks
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

[snip...]

Having in the past been a member of that range, and having shot there many times, it's sad to think what has happened. Thank you for doing what you could for the boy. Responsiveness is a good sign, lets hope for a miracle, and recovery.

Again, Thank you.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my 7 yr old only shoots a .22 rimfire  rifle from prone or a bench with a bipod. he is very safe and can hit what he is aiming at.

After posting, I realized that I was limiting my comments to handguns and didn't address rifles.  Rifles, especially the kind you are using, are great for smaller kids.  Sorry that I didn't say so before.

ETA: I hope the kid makes it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Hang in there kid
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Damn that is good news.  I had pretty much assumed that the boy was living because his brain stem was telling him to breathe.  That the bullet could miss his brain is near miraculous.  I hope the young man recovers.

Thanks for sharing the story, if only because it might make the rest of us observe the utmost of safety.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top