Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2011 6:44:11 AM EDT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1416262/Court-refuses-trial-by-combat.html

A court has rejected a 60-year-old man's attempt to invoke the ancient right to trial by combat, rather than pay a £25 fine for a minor motoring offence.

Leon Humphreys remained adamant yesterday that his right to fight a champion nominated by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) was still valid under European human rights legislation. He said it would have been a "reasonable" way to settle the matter.

Magistrates sitting at Bury St Edmunds on Friday had disagreed and instead of accepting his offer to take on a clerk from Swansea with "samurai swords, Ghurka knives or heavy hammers", fined him £200 with £100 costs.

Humphreys, an unemployed mechanic, was taken to court after refusing to pay the original £25 fixed penalty for failing to notify the DVLA that his Suzuki motorcycle was off the road.

After entering a not guilty plea, he threw down his unconventional challenge. Humphreys, from Bury St Edmunds, said: "I was willing to fight a champion put up by the DVLA, but it would have been a fight to the death."

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Heavy hammers
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Why yes sir.  The champion representing the DVLA will be Anderson Silva.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]
That is fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That is fucking awesome.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
awesome
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Worked for a city once.  There was quite a bit of diverse activities in employees spare time.

What if someone said "hey doesn't Jenkins in payroll belong to some heavy hammer club?  He just got back from Kurdsk for some international competition."

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Fined for not using the bike, hmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#9]
We need that shit here... and bring back duelling too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#10]

That is awesome…

Salty old bastard was ready to take it to Thunder Dome!

Reminds me of a quote:

"Civilized men are more discourteous than
savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls
split, as a general thing."

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the way he thinks....
Get some.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I like his moxie!  Judge is an anal orifice for fining him so heavily.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Wasn't this posted a few months back....

If trial by combat is still on the books then the govenrment cannot refuse his request....IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wasn't this posted a few months back....

If trial by combat is still on the books then the government cannot refuse his request....IMHO.

Yes it was, still awesome though. Good for the crazy old battle hungry man.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Sadly, in West Virginia, dueling is a no go, so much so that it  is in the state constitution, at least if I want to hold office that is.

Article 4 Section 10
Fighting of duels prohibited.
    Any citizen of this state, who shall, after the adoption of this constitution, either in or out of the state, fight a duel with deadly weapons, or send or accept a challenge so to do, or who shall act as a second or knowingly aid or assist in such duel, shall, ever thereafter, be incapable of holding any office of honor, trust or profit in this state.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#16]
" £25 fixed penalty for failing to notify the DVLA that his Suzuki motorcycle was off the road" Talk about a nanny state. Hope he gets his wish but don't see it happenin
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#17]

not a joke, actual pic of man in the article.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://courseweb.stthomas.edu/law/images/Leon%20Humphreys.jpg

He looks like he may have whooped an ass or two in his time.  Good on him.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://courseweb.stthomas.edu/law/images/Leon%20Humphreys.jpg

AT 60 YEARS OLD, THIS DUDE LOOKS LIKE HE COULD FUCKING WIN!
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#20]
His original fine was for taking his bike offroad?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If I understand correctly, you have to pay a road tax for vehicles driven on the roads.  If you have vehicles you don't drive on the roads, you have to pay a lesser fee.  He didn't pay the fee for a non-road vehicle or something.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#22]
He should come over here.  Hollywood probably has a career for him.  If not the UFC might. Is that you John Wayne?
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I understand correctly, you have to pay a road tax for vehicles driven on the roads.  If you have vehicles you don't drive on the roads, you have to pay a lesser fee.  He didn't pay the fee for a non-road vehicle or something.
If you don't drive them on the roads you don't have to tax them at all. However, if it has previously been driven on the roads and you take it off (for an extended period or permanently usually), you must notify the DVLA. If you don't notify, there's a fine, which is what this was originally. If he'd notified in the first place, it would have cost him nothing.................

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#24]

The guy is an attention whore. Trial by combat for a $42  infraction. I could see if it was a $2,500 fine.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#25]
The pussification of England continues!!!

"oi ! Whats the matter You Eaton TOFF!!?? Fraid I'll chop your bloody 'ead off? Come on mate! Bawk bawk bawk!!!"  

*starts running in circles imitating a chicken in the court room*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top