Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2011 6:14:57 AM EDT
So my buddy sends me these links. Apparently you "register" the adapter and the filter is just a "removable expansion chamber".
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/09/03/oil-filter-suppressor/
http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Class_III.html (towards bottoms of page)

I am not a class 3 NFA rules guru or anything but this just seemed off to me. Does this mean that Gemtech can make you tax stamp their QD mounts and sell their cans as "expansion chambers"?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL

The video in the second link... he doesn't need to worry about sights... his front sight was gone anyway!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
First link will get you a visit from the ATF

Nothing wrong with the second link. Sbr those suckers and put on a folding stock
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with the second link. Sbr those suckers and put on a folding stock

at the bottom of the 2nd link they sell the "adapter" for the oil filter suppressor. If the 1st link will get you in trouble shouldnt the 2nd one too since they are actually selling it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

As opposed to simply visiting a site like Major Malfunction? Information isn't illegal.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Someone is paranoid.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone is paranoid.

maybe someone should be if they are posting videos online about putting oil filters on guns to suppress them

like i said earlier i dont know all the laws but it seems like normally you register and tax stamp the suppressor and not the adapter
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#7]
So this is only for .22's?

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone is paranoid.

maybe someone should be if they are posting videos online about putting oil filters on guns to suppress them

like i said earlier i dont know all the laws but it seems like normally you register and tax stamp the suppressor and not the adapter

Registering the adapter has already been done. Some one used to make and sell in the Shotgun News (suppress-on maybe? ) an adapter to put a 2 liter bottle on .22s. ATF ruled the adapter a suppressor and they needed to be serial numbered and registered, so this is not unheard of.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#9]
First link is a federal felony.  

Watch out for your corn-hole, bud.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

i emailed that link to a next door neighbor and within 30 seconds there was a black copter hovering 100 feet over our neighborhood and within 30 minutes all of the dogs in the area had been shot. they waterboarded me and the children but they took my neighbor off in a special van and i heard one fed mutter something about fema trailers and a swamp burial
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First link is a federal felony.

Watch out for your corn-hole, bud.

how so? can you please explain?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I betcha you could find an oil filter that AR15 sights would be high enough to look over the can..... Heh, talk about referring to suppressors as cans....

ETA; Would the comments on how this was made be considered the same as telling some one how to make a automatic weapon and thus be criminal?
Damn our society is going to hell.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i emailed that link to a next door neighbor and within 30 seconds there was a black copter hovering 100 feet over our neighborhood and within 30 minutes all of the dogs in the area had been shot. they waterboarded me and the children but they took my neighbor off in a special van and i heard one fed mutter something about fema trailers and a swamp burial

That's funny, I went to that site too and  a black Suburban just pulled onto my street.

Wait, is that a helicopter?

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I betcha you could find an oil filter that AR15 sights would be high enough to look over the can..... Heh, talk about referring to suppressors as cans....

ETA; Would the comments on how this was made be considered the same as telling some one how to make a automatic weapon and thus be criminal?
Damn our society is going to hell.

just use the big filters from a pickup truck?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone remember when these were causing a stir?

I forget the background story.

Some guy in Germany (I think ), was selling them and people were claiming that is was an ATF sting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I am pretty sure most oil filters use a paper element.

Cost per round is pretty lofty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember the pop can ones, the ATF decided you could stamp the 'adapter' and you'd be G2G.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Feds told YHM that their flash supressor quick detach mounts are NFA. I think they got it sorted out, but they did try to pull it off.

From 2009, guess they got it worked out.
"Special Notice regarding YHM Quick Detach mounts and additional "pistons"

Additional QD mounts and additional "pistons" are not currently available from YHM pending a recent ATF ruling that is being challenged. We are assessing the situation and will soon decide what to do with any extra QD mounts/pistons we might have in stock. We have been receiving many phone calls asking for these QD mount/adapters. Please do not call us about this at this time.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#19]
the first link is out of order. It doesn't work anymore.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Feds told YHM that their flash supressor quick detach mounts are NFA. I think they got it sorted out, but they did try to pull it off.

From 2009, guess they got it worked out.
"Special Notice regarding YHM Quick Detach mounts and additional "pistons"

Additional QD mounts and additional "pistons" are not currently available from YHM pending a recent ATF ruling that is being challenged. We are assessing the situation and will soon decide what to do with any extra QD mounts/pistons we might have in stock. We have been receiving many phone calls asking for these QD mount/adapters. Please do not call us about this at this time.

Yeh, I bet the quick detach mounts do a great job at sound suppression /sarcasm font off/
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the first link is out of order. It doesn't work anymore.

works for me
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm willing to bet there is some sort of tech branch letter or other "ruling" on this sort of thing out there. I'm just too lazy to go find it right now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Can't wait for the "constructive intent" cases from that one.

"Well he had a safe full of AR's with threaded muzzles, and a half dozen oil filters on the shelf in the garage..."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top