Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd rock it.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
cop car with bucket seats?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I was hoping it had a little more character like the car the Blues Brothers had.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd rock it.  

Same. Serious.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They have buckets for the radio/siren box etc to be stacked between the seats.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Does Autocheck disclose aroma, such a puke or shit?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
just how bullet proof is it

im guessing 3A at best.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's standard to accommodate MDTs, radios, rifle racks, etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd rock it.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd rock it.

But would you test it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
No door labels? Maybe installed after the fact. If they are real then they will stop and AK

Eta III-A pre 05 was no factory option..

eta eta https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads/CVPI/BallisticDoorHC_LR.pdf
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No door labels? Maybe installed after the fact. If they are real then they will stop and AK

I honestly didn't know they offered that

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I honestly didn't know they offered that  

Stab proof seats come standard.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't drive a cop car if someone gave it to me for free. Cops are the worst drivers there are and they drive the patrol cars like they stole 'em.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wouldn't drive a cop car if someone gave it to me for free. Cops are the worst drivers there are and they drive the patrol cars like they stole 'em.

+1. Any resold cop car has been beat to absolute piss.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Dibs
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Didnt say if the windows were bullet proof....
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have all been driven hard but there is a huge difference between pool cars and take homes.  I treat my takehome rather well considering it is mine until it dies or is retired.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
That would be a perfect first car for my daughter.  

ETA:  If it had whitewalls and wheelcovers.  Yeah.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife works in Stockton.  She could probably use something like that.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Does the cigarette lighter work?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I know how I drove MY patrol car.  By the time it got to auction, you DIDN'T want it, unless it was for the engine computer chip and stuff.  We beat the shit out of those cars...  
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does the cigarette lighter work?

It did before you threw it out the window
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention the amount of idle running time versus odo mileage.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  I was working a graveyard shift in front of a police station watching over some city property and one of the cops pulled up and went inside the station leaving the car running.  He didn't come out for well over five hours and then left.  The car was running the whole time.  While that was the longest I had seen, it was in general very common for cops to leave their cars idling in front of the station for a couple of hours or so.  What a waste of taxpayer dollars, too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop
suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters
so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new
Bluesmobile or what?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

All of them come with buckets unless ordered otherwise, gomer.

The console goes in between.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I would nearly never buy a Crown Victoria.

I would never buy a used cop car.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that's why taxi companies jump at the chance to buy up old police cars and typically put another 100K miles on them after the cops are done with them.

Crown Vics are tough, serviceable and durable cars.  They are also a pleasure to drive.

I absolutely love my '00 CVPI  

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:02:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that's why taxi companies jump at the chance to buy up old police cars and typically put another 100K miles on them after the cops are done with them.

Crown Vics are tough, serviceable and durable cars.  They are also a pleasure to drive.

I bought my 00 with 55k miles last year. It is fun to drive.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  I was working a graveyard shift in front of a police station watching over some city property and one of the cops pulled up and went inside the station leaving the car running.  He didn't come out for well over five hours and then left.  The car was running the whole time.  While that was the longest I had seen, it was in general very common for cops to leave their cars idling in front of the station for a couple of hours or so.  What a waste of taxpayer dollars, too.

'06+ Crown Vics now have engine idle hour meters.  Many people think they are total life hour meters but they are not, its the time spent running in park or neutral.  Ford says that every hour of idling is the equivalent of driving 33 miles.  The purpose behind the meters is to give a better idea of when to change the oil.  The worst average I've seen IIRC was about 2,000 hours when the car had about 30,000 miles on it so if that average continues until the car has 100,000 on the odometer, it will actually have a realistic 320,000 miles on it (100,000 drive miles, 220,000 idle time miles).  I know there has to be worse out there in departments that have officers write reports in their cars.  I average about 1 hour per 100 odometer miles which is great but I work in the middle of no where.

Also, some departments prefer to keep their cars running.  It quickens response times and gets longer life out of car batteries, alternators, and starters.  I know I have four or five electrical devices in my car that I can't turn off during my shift and that's a low number compared to more modern departments.

Finally, you would have to pay me before I would take a used police patrol vehicle, especially if it wasn't a take home car.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

'06+ Crown Vics now have engine idle hour meters.  Many people think they are total life hour meters but they are not, its the time spent running in park or neutral.  Ford says that every hour of idling is the equivalent of driving 33 miles.  The purpose behind the meters is to give a better idea of when to change the oil.  The worst average I've seen IIRC was about 2,000 hours when the car had about 30,000 miles on it so if that average continues until the car has 100,000 on the odometer, it will actually have a realistic 320,000 miles on it (100,000 drive miles, 220,000 idle time miles).  I know there has to be worse out there in departments that have officers write reports in their cars.  I average about 1 hour per 100 odometer miles which is great but I work in the middle of no where.

Also, some departments prefer to keep their cars running.  It quickens response times and gets longer life out of car batteries, alternators, and starters.  I know I have four or five electrical devices in my car that I can't turn off during my shift and that's a low number compared to more modern departments.

Finally, you would have to pay me before I would take a used police patrol vehicle, especially if it wasn't a take home car.

I like that idle hour meter idea.

As for this department, only about half of the officers I've seen over the last year seem to idle their vehicles for any extended period of time, usually the same individuals in either case, so I doubt it is a department policy, but rather personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#37]
My dad bought a cop car from Atlanta police dept. auction many years ago. It was an unmarked '68 Chevrolet. It ended up being one of the best cars we ever owned.

He gave them $500 for it in 1971. Drove it daily until trading it in 6 years later.

We probably got lucky.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my 00 with 55k miles last year. It is fun to drive.

Been thinking about buying a surplus Vic... Any idea what mileage to expect with the V-8?

TR85.

I get about 22-24 on the hwy. If I did a tune, Checked my tire pressure regularly and a few mods I could probably bump to 26-28ish

eta I would also like to mention I have a lead foot
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About ten years ago I was searching for a car and an ad caught my eye.  It was for a 90's Caprice that was very cheap so I went to check it out.  My first clue should have been when the ad was so basic that it didn't even give the mileage but I didn't think about it at the time.  Turns out it was a used cop car that was then used by a taxi company that was then used by woman to commute in stop and go traffic everyday for a year or so.  It had over 300K miles on it (not the original engine or trans I imagine).  The curiosity got the better of me and I was already there so I took it for a test drive.  I should have known better considering that even a taxi company retired the car.  That was the scariest test drive of my life.  It was downright dangerous to be in or around that thing.

ETA: I still would never buy a used police vehicle unless I knew the history extremely well.  Its way too much of a gamble.  Taxi companies can take the gamble because they employee their own mechanics and they have TONS of spare parts and donor cars.  I try to be decent to my patrol car but there are times that abuse is unavoidable.  At the cost of what used Crown Vics are going for, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that idle hour meter idea.

As for this department, only about half of the officers I've seen over the last year seem to idle their vehicles for any extended period of time, usually the same individuals in either case, so I doubt it is a department policy, but rather personal preference.

Its probably a department that doesn't have an idle policy or doesn't enforce it if they do.  There are a lot of pro's and con's with leaving the car idle but most departments now days have an idle policy of some sort with the high cost of gas.  We are told not to idle while writing reports at the office and we usually don't unless it's cold or snowy.  The downside is that our cars tend to kill a lot of batteries and starters.  Replacing starters costs us quite a bit since we don't have our own mechanics.  There isn't a cheap solution with gas prices being so high.

Oh, and someone asked about gas mileage on used Crown Vics.  Expect 22 mpg or less (more likely less) with the police gearing.  Crown Vics are thirsty creatures.  I average about 16 to 18 while working.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been thinking of buying one to turn it into a sleeper muscle car.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of buying one to turn it into a sleeper muscle car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=VqhaO1iV5rE

eta or this http://youtu.be/vOO7ylenkYU
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wha?

The factory ones are level IIIA... IIIA is not rated to not stop AK/7.62x39 rounds... Hell, 7.62x39 doesn't even notice IIIA body armor. IIIA doesn't stop 5.7x28mm, 7.62 Tokarev, M1 Carbine out of a Ruger Blackhawk and a few other pistol loads even. Rifles (actual rifles) rape IIIA armor.

Aftermarket III or IV armor should stop AK rounds... Or might not, depending on how lucky you are.

TR85.

Oh and I found that Video online so everyone can see it..
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/CVPI/pdfs/2007/Ballistics.wmv
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top