Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2011 7:14:26 PM EDT

FUCK YOU, garage door.  I win!  
Reference this thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1212821_Garage_cable_came_off_and_now_my_garage_door_is_____DIY___PICS_.html

The tools used.

Oh yeah. And I cut the steel bar in two with the dremel to make the most important tools.

Dremels are teh coolest tool.

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh man, you're going to get a warning for that stylized curse word in the title!
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Oh man, you're going to get a warning for that stylized curse word in the title!

Is that against the rules?
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Warning? I predict a 7 day ban
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Warning? I predict a 7 day ban

Fixed.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Crow bar = Winning!
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I use to work for Overhead Doors in the service department when the wife was in college.  About every six months or so, I would go to a house where there was blood splattered all over the garage from someone trying to repair their door.  

Last month I had a tenant who throw a cable on the garage door and attempted to repair it with the help of a buddy.  The door ended up collapsing on the friend sending him to the hospital in the back of the EMS wagon.  In addition to the hospital bills, it cost the tenant $550  for a new door.  For a competent service man replacing the cable and adjusting the door is no more than a 30 minute job.  Most of the time when the door throws a cable it is because the door bound up on one side.

I am glad you were not hurt repairing the door.  My advice is that unless you know what you are doing, don't mess with them.

BTW, your door operator is mounted too high.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I use to work for Overhead Doors in the service department when the wife was in college. About every six months or so, I would go to a house where there was blood splattered all over the garage from someone trying to repair their door.

Last month I had a tenant who throw a cable on the garage door and attempted to repair it with the help of a buddy. The door ended up collapsing on the friend sending him to the hospital in the back of the EMS wagon. In addition to the hospital bills, it cost the tenant $550 for a new door. For a competent service man replacing the cable and adjusting the door is no more than a 30 minute job. Most of the time when the door throws a cable it is because the door bound up on one side.

I am glad you were not hurt repairing the door. My advice is that unless you know what you are doing, don't mess with them.

BTW, your door operator is mounted too high.

You mean the machine? Builder installed it. It works, should I mess with it?
And since I'm 1-0, do I qualify as "knowing what I'm doing."?

BTW, it took me 3 hours.  And I ended up getting to redo the cables on both sides.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Job!

I bet that ladder felt a little small though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Good Job!

I bet that ladder felt a little small though.

Actually it was just right.  It does look small in the pic though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to all the guys in the other thread that gave me advice.  It really helped.

One important thing.  Make sure you get TWO spring release rods.  Mine were 1/2".  

I got a rod and just cut it with the dremel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks to all the guys in the other thread that gave me advice.  It really helped.

One important thing.  Make sure you get TWO spring release rods.  Mine were 1/2".  

Oh, you used a rod huh?

Nearly sent a couple of large screwdrivers into my face dealing with one of those springs once.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Am I the only one who read the title with a Dr. Doofenshmirtz voice?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks to all the guys in the other thread that gave me advice. It really helped.

One important thing. Make sure you get TWO spring release rods. Mine were 1/2".

Oh, you used a rod huh?

Nearly sent a couple of large screwdrivers into my face dealing with one of those springs once.

Yes, and find one that fits snugly and make sure it is fully seated each time you insert it.
No double entendre intended.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Once again, an ARFcommer has cheated death by *gasp* working on a garage door himself. *double gasp*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top