Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Other than the perceived color, is there any real difference between 405 and 445nm?

445nm is much more visible to the human eye at the same mW output.  

445nm laser diodes are capable of putting out much more power than a 405nm diode.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than the perceived color, is there any real difference between 405 and 445nm?

I'm not sure I'm answering your question, but...

Your garden variety CCD or photodiode is more sensitive to 445nm than 405nm light. 405nm light allows higher resolution data capture than 445nm light in holography, optical disks, etc. given identical optics. Your eye is more sensitive to detecting 445nm than 405nm. 405nm photons are more energetic than 445nm photons. Many materials absorb light more strongly (are more opaque) at 405nm than 445nm.

So 405mm is better at burning stuff?

Yes it is, but the raw power of a 445nm laser at 1W+ will out burn any 405nm laser.  The strongest 405nm laser that I have seen was around 550mW
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
how much?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
So what advice can you give me on a solid state laser could I put together that would be capable of cutting index card stock, something like gaskets and decal material? I'd drive it with a CNC machine.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
how much?

In all honesty if both lasers put out the same amount of power, the difference would be rather minimal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
how much?

In all honesty if both lasers put out the same amount of power, the difference would be rather minimal.

I was curious about the cost of the one in the original post

nvm, I didn't see the link
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your garden variety CCD or photodiode is more sensitive to 445nm than 405nm light. 405nm light allows higher resolution data capture than 445nm light in holography, optical disks, etc. given identical optics. Your eye is more sensitive to detecting 445nm than 405nm. 405nm photons are more energetic than 445nm photons. Many materials absorb light more strongly (are more opaque) at 405nm than 445nm.

Not really. I mean, a focused 1.2W beam from anywhere in the near-IR to UV is going to be pretty good at burning stuff. That's a lot of power on a small area. 405nm is at the long end of the UV-A band, so it really should be used more carefully. Neither laser (nor any other wavelength) should be used to intentionally burn flesh. For burning other stuff, always be aware of reflective surfaces near by and always wear safety glasses rated for the wavelength AND power level. Never lase stuff around people who aren't wearing appropriate eye pro.

ETA: See DM's comments above re: 405nm lasers being available only at lower power levels than achievable with 445nm diodes.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
how much?

The one that I bought, since I am a member of LPF is....Link
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Little bit of info for those who like to learn on stuffs.

ETA: more good stuffs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
how much?

that's pretty tempting.  I have one that I bought through cpf a few years ago that's visible outdoors for astronomy stuff, but that's awesome.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Little bit of info for those who like to learn on stuffs.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/avidshooter/spectrum.gif

That's a pretty good chart. I'd add that it is difficult or impossible to see light below 400nm or above 700nm with the human eye.

ETA: Also, 632.8nm from a HeNe laser or 635nm from a diode looks very red to me, not orange.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. I mean, a focused 1.2W beam from anywhere in the near-IR to UV is going to be pretty good at burning stuff. That's a lot of power on a small area. 405nm is at the long end of the UV-A band, so it really should be used more carefully. Neither laser (nor any other wavelength) should be used to intentionally burn flesh. For burning other stuff, always be aware of reflective surfaces near by and always wear safety glasses rated for the wavelength AND power level. Never lase stuff around people who aren't wearing appropriate eye pro.

ETA: See DM's comments above re: 405nm lasers being available only at lower power levels than achievable with 445nm diodes.

I couldn't agree more. +1
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
how much?

that's pretty tempting.  I have one that I bought through cpf a few years ago that's visible outdoors for astronomy stuff, but that's awesome.

If you do decide to get it, promise me that you get proper eye protection first.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been waiting almost a year now on the Kryton Groove group buy/build. He's almost done. Anyone else from Arfcom here on LPF?

Poor Kenom, I think he's losing his mind though. Says he can't keep track of who shipped and who didn't, so he's going to send them all out when they're done.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Hell yes!
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been waiting almost a year now on the Kryton Groove group buy/build. He's almost done. Anyone else from Arfcom here on LPF?

Poor Kenom, I think he's losing his mind though. Says he can't keep track of who shipped and who didn't, so he's going to send them all out when they're done.

The Kryton host is an amazing looking host.  I would love to own one.
Do you use the same name on LPF?

EDIT: Never mind I found you....Friend invite sent.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Reminds me of a funny, and true story.

A buddy offered me a laser that I could use with my NVGs.  He cautioned me about how powerful it was, and that it would cause blindness if used incorrectly, or someone stared in to the beam.

I declined, and said, "Look, you know the guys I run with, some of them have no business around things like that. They would hurt themselves and blind half the county for giggles."  He agreed, laughed, and I purchased a 'regular' IR illuminator instead.

After returning home, I was showing another friend the setup.  He picked up the IR illuminator, and before I could stop him he had turned in on and pressed it to his eye to see 'if it is working or not' from the IR 'glow'.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#18]
What would happen if you put 10 of them in a circular jig, aiming them at an angle in which the beams would collide at lets say 20" from unit, what would happen?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Hope it works better than my, wicked laser.  After waiting 1 yr and having 3 shipped, only getting the last one.  It wont hold a charge on the batteries.  Every time I try to charge them they show charged.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

After returning home, I was showing another friend the setup.  He picked up the IR illuminator, and before I could stop him he had turned in on and pressed it to his eye to see 'if it is working or not' from the IR 'glow'.

TRG

A guy I used to work with at NASA MSFC wanted an IR laser diode to play with. I gave him one out of a laser printer's laser scanner assembly and wrongly assumed he knew what he was doing (he was an EE). He did the exact same thing. The next morning he came in to work rubbing his eyes and said, "I don't think that diode works", to which I responded by explaining that IR really is invisible and the sand-in-the-eyes feeling he was experiencing was from illuminating his eyes with more IR light than is healthy.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hope it works better than my, wicked laser.  After waiting 1 yr and having 3 shipped, only getting the last one.  It wont hold a charge on the batteries.  Every time I try to charge them they show charged.

I trust Gary from Survival Lasers.  Many people have given him great reviews....In fact, I don't think that I have seen a bad one.

Edit....Buy new batteries.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

A guy I used to work with at NASA MSFC wanted an IR laser diode to play with. I gave him one out of a laser printer's laser scanner assembly and wrongly assumed he knew what he was doing (he was an EE). He did the exact same thing. The next morning he came in to work rubbing his eyes and said, "I don't think that diode works", to which I responded by explaining that IR really is invisible and the sand-in-the-eyes feeling he was experiencing was from illuminating his eyes with more IR light than is healthy.  

It's a good think that the diodes in laser printers don't put out that much power.  Still more than enough to blind you, but it will take a little while.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What would happen if you put 10 of them in a circular jig, aiming them at an angle in which the beams would collide at lets say 20" from unit, what would happen?

I saw a pr0n that started just like that.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a good think that the diodes in laser printers don't put out that much power.  Still more than enough to blind you, but it will take a little while.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have no idea what power supply he was using, so he may have been emitting at power levels well over the diode's rating, but if he did it probably didn't emit for very long. A 2V, 100mA diode running on a 6V, 500mA wall-wart isn't going to last long. (I don't know that's what he attempted, but my imagination keeps going there.)  
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I have got to be honest....I'm a little shocked to see people on here that actually know a few things or two about lasers.
I'm actually happy to see this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#26]
So what's the range on one of those?

Thinking military use here.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

For EOF on TCP's...........right?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have got to be honest....I'm a little shocked to see people on here that actually know a few things or two about lasers.

I work as an engineer for a small business that primarily develops hardware and algorithms for digital holography, holographic interferometry, and some other things. One of my first projects with this company was to build them a portable, low-cost pulsed laser for high-speed digital hologram recording. I built the system off of an SSY1 head (small flashlamp-pumped Nd:YAG laser from a .mil rangefinder) with a second-harmonic generation stage in a KTP crystal and a 45-degree hot mirror to dump the residual 1064nm light and allow the doubled 532nm light to pass into the system. Right now we have about 1/20th to 1/50th of the asking price of a similar system tied-up in it. I'm working today on fabricating a mount to move the output coupler off of the laser to lengthen the resonator and allow adjustment for alignment (IME, SSY1s have really crummy permanent alignment). Based on a simple spatial-filtering experiment last week I think we can approach TEM00 on this tiny laser head and still have sufficient pulse energy to record holograms.

</more than you probably wanted to know>
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Range for doing what?  Honestly, I don't know how far it can go.  The laser's divergence definitely comes into play on this.  Either way....I'd say several miles+
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might have multiple uses.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work as an engineer for a small business that primarily develops hardware and algorithms for digital holography, holographic interferometry, and some other things. One of my first projects with this company was to build them a portable, low-cost pulsed laser for high-speed digital hologram recording. I built the system off of an SSY1 head (small flashlamp-pumped Nd:YAG laser from a .mil rangefinder) with a second-harmonic generation stage in a KTP crystal and a 45-degree hot mirror to dump the residual 1064nm light and allow the doubled 532nm light to pass into the system. Right now we have about 1/20th to 1/50th of the asking price of a similar system tied-up in it. I'm working today on fabricating a mount to move the output coupler off of the laser to lengthen the resonator and allow adjustment for alignment (IME, SSY1s have really crummy permanent alignment). Based on a simple spatial-filtering experiment last week I think we can approach TEM00 on this tiny laser head and still have sufficient pulse energy to record holograms.

LOL...Believe it or not, I read all of it.

Edit:
Me, I'm just a laser hobbyist.  I do take what I do seriously though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a pr0n that started just like that.

TRG

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Might have multiple uses.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Originally Quoted from Ghostbusters:
   Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
   Peter Venkman: What?
   Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
   Peter Venkman: Why?
   Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
   Peter Venkman: I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "good/bad" thing, here! What do you mean, "bad"?
   Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
   Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal!
   Peter Venkman: All right, that's bad, okay. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Originally Quoted from Ghostbusters:
   Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
   Peter Venkman: What?
   Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
   Peter Venkman: Why?
   Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
   Peter Venkman: I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "good/bad" thing, here! What do you mean, "bad"?
   Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
   Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal!
   Peter Venkman: All right, that's bad, okay. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

ar-jedi

Science and shit. Like Black Mesa, yo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Do not stare into laser beam with remaining eye.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since you work with eye burning lasers, you should be happy that you see anything at all.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you work with eye burning lasers, you should be happy that you see anything at all.

TRG

Believe it or not...I have 20-20 vision.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
how much?

If you do decide to get it, promise me that you get proper eye protection first.

I wear Oakleys, that should be good enough
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn.

If the flashcoil could handle a really high flash rate, and KPT could handle it, I'd love to see what the beam would look like out of that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I wear Oakleys, that should be good enough

I've got nothing to say.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn.

If the flashcoil could handle a really high flash rate, and KPT could handle it, I'd love to see what the beam would look like out of that.

Right now I can run it air-cooled at about 3 pulses per minute. The power supply is the limiting factor right now, though a higher repetition rate would certainly require more than passive air cooling. The pulse width is about 5ns, but you can definitely see the effect of the pulse. If I focus it onto black ink dried on paper it makes a nice loud crack, leaving a puff of smoke and a nice burnt spot. On camera (after the SHG stage and removal of the residual IR) the beam is a beautiful bright green. There was some concern that a standard DSLR wouldn't do a good job of recording a 5ns pulse, but the Nikon D3100s that I am using work fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#43]
That's some pretty impressive stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's some pretty impressive stuff.

If you saw the power supply and trigger boards you might change your mind.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#45]
is there some reason they're not sold completely assembled?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#46]

WINNING!

75 watts of automated awesomeness...
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's illegal for him to sell it completely built.  However, it looks very simple to assemble.  I will let you know when I get mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Nice....I work with a 30W laser engraver....but 75W kicks my ass.  

Edit:
I think it's 30W, I'm honestly not 100% sure
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's illegal for him to sell it completely built.  However, it looks very simple to assemble.  I will let you know when I get mine.

I'm sitting here with my credit card in my hand

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Here's an old shot of our pulsed laser, prior to some changes. (Bottom is the laser on its portable breadboard sitting on top of an optical table; A. is a single color hologram of a 5mm glass ball lens falling under gravity; B. is a series of holograms taken simultaneously at different angles and processed to intensity (B&W) images; C. is the object reconstructed from the holograms.) From left to right the components shown on the breadboard are: 1. 5mW 635nm alignment laser diode, 2. externally-mounted HR mirror (1064nm dielectric, transmissive to 635nm), 3. SSY1 head (with OC still mounted–– old design), 4. 1/2x telescope, 5. mounted KTP crystal, 6. 45-degree hot mirror. This is from an awards brochure, so I can share it. Note the super-safe and tidy electrical tape holding the bloody thing together. I had a deadline.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top