Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2011 6:27:14 PM EDT
Bathtub drain is draining really slow. Happens about once a year and I usually just unscrew the push-down stopper and remove the usual big, funky chunks of hair...wife and daughter use that tub so there always hair everywhere.

Anyway, this time that didn't do the trick and the drain is still plugged somewhere further down the line. Any suggestions on what's the strongest liquid drain cleaner out there? Plastic pipes.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I only use prescription strength drain cleaner
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
i use the pro drano stuff every couple of months - it works decent if i let it soak for 20-30 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Muratic acid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I only use prescription strength drain cleaner

Don't want any homemade acid concoctions...

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Floweasy, if you can find anyone nearby that will sell it to you. It's mainly marketed to plumbers through supply houses. Of course, a good drain snake works wonders.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Snake / Auger if you don't like pouring chemicals down your drain.

Muriatic acid will work and not harm the plastic pipes, though it can produce some really foul gasses; make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

Liquid chlorine will also work and not harm the plastic pipes. You might be able to get away with it's less concentrated cousin: Laundry bleach.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Liquid Fire. Usually available at Ace Hardware outlets.

READ AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok.

I am a CPO and used to manage a $50million dollar aquatic facility. That included janitorial duties of staff.

I kept this stuff under lock and key, or it'd be used too much. It was recommended by a salesman whose company didn't even sell it. I would only use it during HUGE events, usually the type that were televised, when we had clogs that needed attention.

THIS IS THE ANSWER.

The product is called ONE-SHOT.

Flush with TONS of water. Being a world-class facility, we didn't care about utility bills. Let me caution you:

used incorrectly you will cause damage to pipes. I had a staff member do some damage once. The packaging almost reads like the South park opening and tells you to never use it.

But this isn't a mall hot sauce type warning label. This stuff will do damage.

http://www.blackswanmfg.com/ONE-SHOT.htm

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#11]
before you go the chemical route how about trying this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Products-650-Drain-Blaster/dp/B000BOKM26

My tub drain was completely stopped up, would take the entire day to drain.  Three blasts of air from this and the drain is perfect
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
IF you go to your local walmart in the do it yourself / paint / plumbing general corner there will be more drain cleaners than in the cleaning area. One will be in a black bottle and the bottle will be in a sealed bag. Use this one carefully.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Liquid Fire. It's concentrated sulfuric acid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]
don't do it man.

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I would think going with one of the sulfuric acid based cleaners would be worth a try.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Try a big stock pot of boiling water first.

That can sometimes melt away the soap and crude.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this related to the "Breaking Bad" dissolving a human body thread?
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
a snake
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Red Hot Sewer Solvent works real good.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Most plumbers can climb over your counter.  Maybe call one?

Nothing will work as well as a snake, that is why Mr. Plumber uses them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IF you go to your local walmart in the do it yourself / paint / plumbing general corner there will be more drain cleaners than in the cleaning area. One will be in a black bottle and the bottle will be in a sealed bag. Use this one carefully.

This and read the contents carefully, buy the one with the strongest sulfuric acid. Sometimes you can find up to 98% with just some dye added.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I did the drain cleaner chemical crap for years at my old house. Eventually it would always lead to calling a plumber.
With the amount of $$$ I dumped down the drain over the years, I could have bought a nice power-snake and done it like a pro.

When I moved into a newer house, after a few years I am noticing the same deal - hair/women crap-building up in the bathroom tub/sink. My wife loses more hair than anyone I know. I can't believe she isn't bald.
I went and bought one of these - but haven't used it yet. I figure for $40.00 - that's about 3 bottles of the chemical crap that I don't trust.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100048949/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=rigid+power+spin&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

It's a Rigid Power Spin Drain Gun.
You can remove the handle, and chuck it up in your drill. It will slip right past your metal bars down in the tub drain, so no need to disassemble anything. Just run it down the drain and turn on your drill. I guess running some water down the drain while powering it up helps quite a bit.
That's my 2 cents.

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Thrift.  I haven't a clue how it works, but it works wonders.  For $7 at a plumbing supply store you can't afford not to try it.

Its crystalline and activated by hot water, dont touch with your bare hands.

It eats hair, and grass.  :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#24]
The black bottle in the sealed bag one works well.  Basically look for the one with the scariest warnings on it and buy that one.  If it mentions possibly burning down the house and the fumes making you and your descendants for seven generations retarded, then its probably the good stuff.   THEN, actually read and follow the directions!
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I just pulled the sink drain pipes back to the wall this Saturday...my solution to your problem? Get rid of the source!!!
I had to use a high pressure hose into the drain while my son covered the vent on top of the roof...shit was bad..
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is this related to the "Breaking Bad" dissolving a human body thread?

Nope, it's the "What are you drinking" Monday night thread.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Sulfuric drain opener.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I've always used Red Devil Lye. Works great for me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Liquid Plumr gel.

My tub would have 4-5 inches of water in it after taking a shower. So, in went the liquid plumer gel. Follow directions. The only thing I did different was I poured a pot of really hot [almost boiling] water in . Did the trick. Still draining fine 6 months later.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The black bottle in the sealed bag one works well.  Basically look for the one with the scariest warnings on it and buy that one.  If it mentions possibly burning down the house and the fumes making you and your descendants for seven generations retarded, then its probably the good stuff.   THEN, actually read and follow the directions!

That's ONE-SHOT.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's ONE-SHOT.

I picked this up from Home Depot and it came in a plastic bag...about $8 bucks. It worked better than anything I have ever used. The clog is gone.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Hercules Clobber

Some nasty stuff.  Probably won't be able to get it without a master plumber's license though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hercules Clobber

Some nasty stuff.  Probably won't be able to get it without a master plumber's license though.

+1
or so I've heard you need to get it at a plumbing supply house....

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hercules Clobber

+1

The only places that have it for sale are supply houses.  Still doesn't work nearly as well as a cable machine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's ONE-SHOT.

I picked this up from Home Depot and it came in a plastic bag...about $8 bucks. It worked better than anything I have ever used. The clog is gone.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/timothy585/DSCN0539.jpg

It's goddamn amazing shit is what that is.

Don't waste money on anything else.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hercules Clobber

+1

The only places that have it for sale are supply houses.  Still doesn't work nearly as well as a cable machine.

I agree I would'nt use it in my pipes....Snake it....

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Drano Foaming Drain cleaner (I've had good luck with it.)

I HAVE ALSO PUT 1/2 CUP BAKING SODA DOWN THE DRAIN AND ABOUT 1-2 CUPS VINEGAR AND THAT WORKS GOOD TOO.

Damn caps lock - I'm not retyping that...
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I've used Instant PowerHair Clog Remover  to good effect over the years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's ONE-SHOT.

This is what I was gonna recommend. Bad ass shit. We don't have HD around here, just the blue store. Tractor Supply had it 30 miles away until a tornado took it out. Crossing my fingers for no clogs.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's ONE-SHOT.

This is what I was gonna recommend. Bad ass shit. We don't have HD around here, just the blue store. Tractor Supply had it 30 miles away until a tornado took it out. Crossing my fingers for no clogs.

The stuff in the sealed plastic bag is what I use.  Only use it if you have plastic pipes!  Be very careful with it.  I had just a few drops splash on my jeans when I was doing the final rinse and my jeans were ruined the next day!!!

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I just did mine.   Pulled out hair.

No drain.

Out of boredom I palmed / cuped my hand over the hole ( tub was full of water).  And gave a few thrusts.  And boy was I supprised  when it started draining again !!!  

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've always used Red Devil Lye. Works great for me.

This. Or Thrift works well too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#43]
There is more hair and () stuff downstream.

Snake that shit out. No chemicals required.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#44]
As a chemist, I think that just about the best thing you can use is good old Draino crystals.  

The blue tinted, white beads with aluminum chips.

Dissolves in the water in the trap, creating a HOT and extremely caustic solution that churns as it reacts with the aluminum chips.

Just what the doctor ordered for most everything you will find in a shower or sink drain.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#45]
just had a bad clog not long ago ,  tried the Drano stuff a couple of times = nothing
tried backing soda& vinegar = nothing
went to home depot & bought  Zep(commercial) Crystal Heat drain opener = worked damn good about $8.00 I believe.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Fuck chemicals

Fuck augers

Fuck those barbed white plastic pieces of shit

Fuck balloons.

Go to lowes/home depot/wal mart and get you one of these CO2 powered motherfuckers.

http://www.amazon.com/Kleer-Drain-100-Instant-Opener/dp/B000DZD0VI

pop in a cartridge, press it against the drain, and push.  no more clog.

Thank me later.

And if you're thinking that it will blow your pipes up, fear not.  If it didn't blow the pipes on the 60 year old shithole house with monkey fuck plumbing that we were renting, I think you'll be ok.  We had a tub drain that was slow from day 1 when we moved in.  From all the drain cleaners and gimmicks i tried it would have been easier and more effective to throw $100 down the drain (literally)  NOTHING worked until I found the above mentioned wonder tool.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hercules Clobber

+1

That was great stuff, but as far as I know they no longer make it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Liquid Fire. the bottle comes in a wrapper because if it spills it will burn you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#49]
If it's a hair clog, pour 2 gallons (enough to get well past the trap and soak the clog) of regular old bleach into the clog if there is no standing water and then leave it overnight. It sounds ridiculously simple, but you'll thank me in the morning. Also, if you have to escalate to manual force you won't create a toxic waste dump to have to work in.

ETA: Wifey has butt length hair and son has long hair too, we have to do this every couple of months.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Liquid Fire. Usually available at Ace Hardware outlets.

READ AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER!!!!!!

Good stuff!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top