Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:16:15 AM EDT
I am not sure WTF is going on. All of our windows have screens on them and for the last week they have been closed most of the time. I take the trash out every 2-3 days and our bathrooms are clean. Our house is mostly clean - I still have to clean under the couch and beds but I dont see how flies could live there.

Every other day or so I kill a dozen or so house flies that are around our living room windows. These are large, dumb flies. I dont have to smack them with the fly swatter, I simple just use light pressure to smash them. They dont fly off when I get close or when I move the fly swatter in slowely.

What in the fuck could be going on? Where could these flies be getting in/bredding?

WTF!
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully you hear something soon. Horseflies invaded my horse and I had to just wait for them to move on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you keep your trash can right by a window or door?  Could they be getting in somewhere close to there?
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Best way to remove them is to use a canister vacuum with a pole attachment - (gives you reach so the end can creep up on the bugs without scaring them away by your closeness)

It will just "whoosh" them in and away and the bonus is no "mess" to clean up.

I lived in the country for a few months, and for some reason (dozens of flies would be in the kitchen every morning)  House was kept immaculate as was the kitchen (no dirty dishes or food ever out) yet the bugs kept coming back.

My son had a blast "getting" them in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]
something dead in teh walls?
under the house, neighbors still active, up and around?

Zombies draw flies.

in Texas, we hang baggies of water with a penny in it over the doors and windows..

it works about 88% of the time..

CHEF
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Amityville horror/thread.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Geckos FTW!
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#7]
We had this problem when a mouse died in the attic.  Flies were coming through a light fixture in the ceiling.  We saw the flies before we smelt the mouse.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Throw a dead hooker out by the back fence to draw them away.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Amityville horror/thread.

What do you want from us?

God damnit, this is my house!
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you by chance have a fireplace?  

I had the very same problem a few years ago and found out the following winter when I opened the flue to my fireplace that a bird had gotten trapped in the chimney.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#11]
have neighbors with a herd/flock of something? poultry are the worst
people will have flies in their house if they live close to one...
feed store down the road everytime they get a shipment of chickens we get flies at our office
luckily its only every other month or so
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Glue strips, lots of them!
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I am not sure WTF is going on. All of our windows have screens on them and for the last week they have been closed most of the time. I take the trash out every 2-3 days and our bathrooms are clean. Our house is mostly clean - I still have to clean under the couch and beds but I dont see how flies could live there.

Every other day or so I kill a dozen or so house flies that are around our living room windows. These are large, dumb flies. I dont have to smack them with the fly swatter, I simple just use light pressure to smash them. They dont fly off when I get close or when I move the fly swatter in slowely.

What in the fuck could be going on? Where could these flies be getting in/bredding?
WTF!

They could come in from your shower drains or sink drains. I found that out and ziptied screens over the exhaust stacks on the roof so they wouldn't go in and lay eggs.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a problem like that in college.  It turned out to be two drain traps that weren't used.  One had oil or grease in it, the other one had oil or grease in it AND rice.

Once cleaned and bleached the problem went away as we got all the flies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Several weeks ago I visited a friend for the first time in months.  There were glue strips dangling all over the place.  Their old guinea pig died and when they replaced it they also replaced the straw bedding.  Flies hatched out of the new pet store straw and then took up residence in the furniture, etc, all over the house.

Now they need to nuke it from orbit, to be sure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top