Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2011 5:47:01 PM EDT
Ok, I admit it I love the Renaissance Fair in Holly, Michigan and I've gone every single year for eight years.  Yes, there are a huge number of white trash people and of course your weirdo goth kids.  Yes, nothing is really accurate to the time period.  Yes, there are fat chicks with boobs hiked up, but I must say it never fails that there are a few attractive ones as well. God help me I love it. The turkey leg, the really bad jousting and sword play...it's a guilty pleasure.

The Renaissance Fair in Holly, Michigan is huge at 100 acres with 30 acres developed and 15 acres actually falling within the village that consists of permanent structures including a small replica castle used to dine those who pony up the dough to eat like Kings. Good food all around each year and just about everything you could want to drink in terms of alcohol including some decent wines. A lot of cool little speciality shops with a lot of talented people. Pretty decent shows overall all around and around the clock.  

However, I've never been to another Renaissance Fair outside of the one in Holly, Michigan so I thought I'd ask you guys about your State's and how large they are, how nice are the structures, are the shows decent, and so forth?  Is your State's Renaissance Fair worth the trip for someone to make from out-of-State or not that great?

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Pics of the wenches?
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
the TX one.  fyi, the one in NY sucks horribly...
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The only one I've been to is in Plantersville, Tx. It is pretty large, but I don't know how it compares to the others.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
WIki puts the Texas one as located on an old strip mining sight with over 500 customed players and 17 stages with average attendance of 450,000.  Sounds pretty big.

How are the buildings within the Renaissance Village at the Texas one?

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
New York one doesn't sound that bad from the WIKI.

WIKI puts it at 65 acres with more than 100 shops.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
i just go for the turkey legs
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I met a weird couple that go to them,they said a lot of sex go's on! BS or???
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The one in Manheim, PA is pretty nice. We go to the Celtic Fling there every year. They also make their own wine and beer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I've only been to a few in California, the best of the ones I have seen was in Agoura hills. that was 20 years ago though, I have also been to some really crappy ones in Riverside, Ca.

I haven't been to one that really impresses me though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

if you are in the "right" groups.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Plantersville, TX is the only one I've ever been to.  I liked it better 20 years ago.  Little too commercialized now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The Texas Renaissance Festival, in plantersville, is by far the largest and also the best. The Scarborough Faire in Dallas is pretty good too, I think it is the third largest.

I have a group of friends that all fly in and we all camp one weekend at the Texas Renaissance Festival every year, 16 years straight so far. I plan on doing it every year until I am dead.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Colorado.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The one in Manheim, PA is pretty nice. We go to the Celtic Fling there every year. They also make their own wine and beer.

"The Swashbuckler Brewing Company was founded on the grounds in 2000,and its product is available at the Swashbuckler Brew Pub." From Wiki.

Pretty cool, sounds like a neat place.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Colorado.

Hmm, Wiki doesn't have anything on the one in Colorado.

Decent set-up? About how large is it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No BS.....not always QUALITY 'tang, but it's there looking to be boinked with very little effort.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

New York one doesn't sound that bad from the WIKI.

WIKI puts it at 65 acres with more than 100 shops.

did they include that its in the middle summer and that there isnt any shade once you enter?

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#19]

I've seen some smoking chicks at them.   She's a cutie plus she's got talent.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colorado.

Details....
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Texas Renaissance Festival, in plantersville, is by far the largest and also the best. The Scarborough Faire in Dallas is pretty good too, I think it is the third largest.

I have a group of friends that all fly in and we all camp one weekend at the Texas Renaissance Festival every year, 16 years straight so far. I plan on doing it every year until I am dead.

Cool, you should post some pictures this year if you can. I'd like to see what it looks like.

I'd love to find one that had a proper castle and buildings beyond cheap hollywood set stuff. Either that or a real damn good jousting and sword fighting with some bloody special effects.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The best, least gay-and-fat-chick-absent one is held in Huttakochee, AR. Usually starts in late September. Go to huttakocheeoldetymefest.org for further.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colorado.

Details....

Pretty cool. Map and photos make it looks pretty close to what we have.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Me too. Its rather fun.

ETA: I should say its rather fun if you dont go every year. It is the same damn thing every year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Incidentally - there is no such thing as Huttakochee, AR, any more than there is a fucking green-tights-wearing Renaissance fuckfest absent cocksuckers or Leviathanic wynches in chrome-moly-wired pushup brassieres.

Some of the armor is cool, though.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

well, we all need goals in life.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Bristol Renaissance Fair in Wisconsin.

http://www.renfair.com/bristol/

They have a paid staff, an onsite costumer to present a uniform image and great permanent structures.

And they have a Tardis on the grounds.  Which is WIN!
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#28]
The Texas Renaissance Festival is 37 years old, has about 450,000 guests annually and has about 500 costumed performers on 17 stages and 340 shops on 50+ acres.

http://www.texrenfest.com

Scarborough Renaissance Faire is 30 years old, has about 200,000 guests annually and has about 150 costumed performers on 21 stages and 200 shops on 35+ acres.

http://www.srfestival.com
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, you should post some pictures this year if you can. I'd like to see what it looks like.

I'd love to find one that had a proper castle and buildings beyond cheap hollywood set stuff. Either that or a real damn good jousting and sword fighting with some bloody special effects.

http://www.okcastle.com/RenFest.html

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colorado.

Details....

Went to this one for several years.  It was great.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Well the MN one is billed as the second largest. It has a bunch of buildings and stages. I go every few years to visit a friend that works there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever.

It's a great weekend. We make camp friday morning, tap the kegs, fire up the BBQ, and don't stop partying until monday morning. The wife's sisters and their families come in, friends that have moved away fly in, usually we have a new face or two every year. Tons o' fun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do. I plan on throwing a bunch of pics up from the past decade and a half out there soon.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever.

It's a great weekend. We make camp friday morning, tap the kegs, fire up the BBQ, and don't stop partying until monday morning. The wife's sisters and their families come in, friends that have moved away fly in, usually we have a new face or two every year. Tons o' fun.

Sounds like a good time to me. I love going every year be cool to get an RV and make a whole weekend out of it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Bristol Renaissance Fair in Wisconsin.

http://www.renfair.com/bristol/

They have a paid staff, an onsite costumer to present a uniform image and great permanent structures.

And they have a Tardis on the grounds.  Which is WIN!

WOW they jumped on the No CCW fast!

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. Its rather fun.

ETA: I should say its rather fun if you dont go every year. It is the same damn thing every year.

The bands change.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been to Texas Renaissance Festival in Plantersville a few times over the past 7 or 8 years. It has a huge camping area, divided up for families and the folks really into living it. I think its pretty interesting.
Check it out        http://www.texrenfest.com/
I've been to the one near Waxahachie(sp?) a couple of times. It was pretty good too. Not nearly as large as Plantersville and no camping on site.
I've also been to one near Bastrop. Once. It was unimpressive. Kind of like a pasture party with alot of funky dressed folks.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've only been to a few in California, the best of the ones I have seen was in Agoura hills. that was 20 years ago though, I have also been to some really crappy ones in Riverside, Ca.

I haven't been to one that really impresses me though.

This man speaks the truth.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've been to Texas Renaissance Festival in Plantersville a few times over the past 7 or 8 years. It has a huge camping area, divided up for families and the folks really into living it. I think its pretty interesting.
I've been to the one near Waxahachie(sp?) a couple of times. It was pretty good too. Not nearly as large as Plantersville and no camping on site.
I've also been to one near Bastrop. Once. It was unimpressive. Kind of like a pasture party with alot of funky dressed folks.

Dave

Oh that would be awesome. I would dig doing the camping with the hardcore folks at least once for the experience.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I worked at one of those (as ye olde garbage man and hauler of beer kegs an produce) I can't imagine going out of my way to go to one intentionally

Those knight guys were incredibly snootie. It was kind of funny to have them turn up their nose at us lowly garbage guys since most of us were in college and even the local high school kids were going to pretty good colleges, into the service academies or some were in some families with pretty large local farms.

They did let us drink on the job "how sober do you have to be to carry beer kegs up and down a hill?" Best boss I ever had

Well that's pretty cool that they let you drink back during prohibition.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave

Oh that would be awesome. I would dig doing the camping with the hardcore folks at least once for the experience.
Camping would be fun. The MN one does not allow camping for the guests but I have heard about some epic parties by the workers. I may have to see if the worker I know will let me camp some weekend.

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#44]
There is one outside of Murfreesboro, Tn each weekend in May. It is pretty big and draws a large crowd every weekend. I've only been a few times but it's been a hoot each time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 7/21/2011 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I've only been to the one in SE Wisconsin (between Chicago and Milwaukee).  It's a good time and a good value and a great place to people watch.  I hear the one in TX is the best.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#47]
My friend's older sister worked at the Plantersville one when we were in high school. She let him camp with her and her husband one weekend. He said it was nonstop sex with multiple girls and drinking. Wish I would have gone...
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Ren fairs are not cool. I always get threatened with rape.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Was at one somewhere around Denver about 16 years ago.    Other than that, I was at Pennsic for a couple days back around the same time.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I've been to the Scarborough Fair in TX. last year. That was pretty nice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top