Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2011 11:47:45 PM EDT
So the used Tacoma I picked up came with a camper shell.  Cool...I've always wanted a shell for camping.  One small problem...I'm 6'3" and with the tailgate up (i.e. If I wanted to sleep with the gate up/lid closed) I do NOT fit.  I have to lay diagonal and it's still very cramped.

So, my options are to keep the shell on, and either camp with the tailgate down and rig up some mesh/tarp to keep the bugs out.

Or I can get one of the truck tents that would fit the bed and take the shell off.  I've always camped in ground tents or truck tents.  If I can't sleep with the tail gate up and lid closed...kinda defeats the purpose of having the shell doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a truck bed tent and it works great.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to camp with the my truck and a shell. I finally got tired of crawling up and built a teardrop camper to pull behind. Not what you asked but just an idea. I spent about what a nice painted to match shell would cost for a new truck ($1500). Just an option, you could build one for less if you want to go really utilitarian and are handy. Behind a truck you don't even know they are back there.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Should have bought a full size truck.

I'm 6'1" and spend 20-30 nights a year or so, sleeping in the while off truck, hunting,fishing, or trapping.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm 6'1" and spend 20-30 nights a year or so, sleeping in the while off truck, hunting,fishing, or trapping.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm 6'1" and spend 20-30 nights a year or so, sleeping in the truck,while off  hunting,fishing, or trapping.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked at a couple of those tents and wasn't impressed.  You have to set the thing up once you get to where you're going and if it's raining or snowing then the truck bed is wet when you climb in there.  An even bigger issue for me was that they didn't seal well around the tailgate which meant the mosquitoes would get in.  I'm just under six feet so it was a no brainer for me- I went with the shell.  It gives me a semi safe place to lock my gear too.  In your case you could always look at a rooftop tent to mount on the shell or go with your regular tent.  I'm cheap and go the tent route when I have someone with me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I looked at a couple of those tents and wasn't impressed.  You have to set the thing up once you get to where you're going and if it's raining or snowing then the truck bed is wet when you climb in there.  An even bigger issue for me was that they didn't seal well around the tailgate which meant the mosquitoes would get in.  I'm just under six feet so it was a no brainer for me- I went with the shell.  It gives me a semi safe place to lock my gear too.  In your case you could always look at a rooftop tent to mount on the shell or go with your regular tent.  I'm cheap and go the tent route when I have someone with me.

Shell for stuff+ roof rack+ rooftop tent = Comfy truck camping.

RTT are very expensive though.

I am 6ft tall so I fit perfectly in the back of my truck, I built a raised, padded sleeping platform that doubles as storage for camping gear, spare parts and tools. With the shell on, everything stays dry, out of sight, locked and still leaves me with room to catch some ZZZZZZZs.

Two people can sleep in there, provided they like one another.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Dave, do you think he should have perhaps bought a full-size truck?  

Answer depends on climate/season, though.  If its dry most of the time, I'd get a tent.  Really saves on space and they're easy to set up/tear down.  If you're camping in rain/mud a lot I might be inclined to go with the shell you already have, and rig up a mesh/door or something so you can leave the tailgate down.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#10]
i had an old 1/2 ton long box. i threw a cap on it, put in a queen size mattress and bedsheets. sure was nice to pull up the covers after a long day. my friends were sleeping on the ground in their sleeping bags in their tents. they were jealous. i stay nice and dry in the truck, plus there's room at the foot of the bed for bags and food. plus, i have a tailgate to sit on when i'm getting dressed.

a capper is the happy point between spending money and being comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to camp with the my truck and a shell. I finally got tired of crawling up and built a teardrop camper to pull behind. Not what you asked but just an idea. I spent about what a nice painted to match shell would cost for a new truck ($1500). Just an option, you could build one for less if you want to go really utilitarian and are handy. Behind a truck you don't even know they are back there.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/borzak_ranger/camperback.jpg

Dude, thats friggin awesome!

Don't suppose you took pics of the building process?
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#12]
What year Taco, what size (single, access, doublecab)? Last night I slept in the bed of my buddy's gen 2 double cab. He had a soft top on, and we had to put the tailgate down in order for us to fit (both of us are about 6'). If I were to try that in my gen 1 Taco, I'd be better off sleeping on the ground.

Wish I could pick up a tan/gold shell in decent shape that'll fit my 04 dc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just in case he didn't here is the ARFCOM of tiny trailers and teardrops build forum.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#14]
$125 online

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#15]
More than a tent truck deal but another option.

http://www.livinlite.com/camper-overview.php

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No but there's a website with hundreds of build threads.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Nothing wrong with camping in a 2 or 3 person tent.  I can bring it to the campsite in my truck, or I can pack it in on a short hike.

I'm 51 years old, if I can do it, so can you you young whippersnappers.

If I don't feel like "roughing it", then I go rent a cabin at a state park.

LC
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a truck tent for my SWB F250. It works really well. I use an air mattress to smooth out the bumps in the bed. One thing though, it's colder than shit in the late fall/winter. Nothing below you but cold air no matter how good your sleeping bag is. For those times I had a 6 inch foam pad and two big ass quilts to go on top of the air mattress.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#19]
The camper shell is the greatest invention in red neck history...
As soon as I buy a truck, it's off to get a camper shell
Seriously...get a solid tent.
A camper shell is so the stuff you toss in the back of your truck does not get wet and or stolen.

What's wrong with a tent these days...
When I go camping it's to get away from TV, Radio, the internet and electricity....

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The key is a bigger truck.

Oh, I dunno... like something green with three axles...
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And a box on the back?  M109?

LC
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#22]
They make 'em to go with a camper shell.

http://www.cabelas.com/view-tents-cabelas-deluxe-truck-tent-2.shtml

Or, you can always splurge a bit and get a new truck:

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They make 'em to go with a camper shell.

http://www.cabelas.com/view-tents-cabelas-deluxe-truck-tent-2.shtml

Or, you can always splurge a bit and get a new truck:

http://www.earthroamer.com/jpg/xvlts_big.jpg

Isn't that one 500K?  Go with the less expensive one.

Base one with no options is 110K.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm buying one of these for my rig.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#25]

I love mine.  
Pros:  

No bugs

No water inside  (up off the ground as well as rain protection)

Floor included so don't matter if the bed is clean

Tent is to the edge of the tailgate when it is open, so that should help your height "problem"    

Cons:

A little more money than a normal tent of same quality

Have to unload everything from bed prior to setup (there are other version that have no floor which eliminates this step)

Cant move the truck when the tent is set up

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah. I would like to build something like that. I have a cabin but this would be nice if I was out hunting in an area not close to the cabin.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm partial to a separate tent.  Gives you the ability to take off from base camp without having to stow anything.  Most larger size tents that will accommodate a couple cots and allow room to stand up are pretty easy to setup these days.  Check the Cabela's Alaskan Guide series dome tents.  It's a four season tent I've had my eye on that is reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's fucking awesome....
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No but there's a website with hundreds of build threads.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Awesome! Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Gotta go with the truck shell. I sleep in mine all the time with an air mattress and a sleeping bag. Otherwise I'd go with a stand alone tent as you could use it whether or not you keep / have the truck in the future.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://man-a-fre.com/pa3/images/ARBRooftoptent-Annexe.jpg

Same here.  I hope to have it by Christmas.  ARB is literally down the hill from my house

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LC

Meh.  If you don't need A/C, just a plain M35A2 with cover.  Plenty of room for a cot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LC

Meh.  If you don't need A/C, just a plain M35A2 with cover.  Plenty of room for a cot.

True.  That's what I have now, a plain old Deuce with winch.  But if I want to go camping from June to August here in Louisiana, it's either a cabin or an RV (or an M109 if I can scrounge up the cash!).  The heat and humidity are just too much for me.  I could do it when I was in my teens and 20's, but not now.

LC
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to think car camping was pretty lame since I'm a backpacker at heart but I just recently left the tent at home and slept in the back of my Ford Explorer...it was warm, flat, no rocks, and no icy water to wake up to clinging to the tent
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LC

True.  That's what I have now, a plain old Deuce with winch.  But if I want to go camping from June to August here in Louisiana, it's either a cabin or an RV (or an M109 if I can scrounge up the cash!).  The heat and humidity are just too much for me.  I could do it when I was in my teens and 20's, but not now.

LC

For what the shop trucks go for, you could just spend the difference to build a nice, insulated camper box in the bed of your M35A2, probably.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LC

LC

For what the shop trucks go for, you could just spend the difference to build a nice, insulated camper box in the bed of your M35A2, probably.

The last ones I've seen haven't been too bad on price, but I have seen some go for a good bit more than I'd be willing to pay.  As a matter of fact, I've seen some privately owned ones go for as little as $4K, which is a bit high but not outrageous for something that you can easily title.

But yeah, I'm cheap, I want one in immaculate condition for $1500!!  

LC
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LC

LC

The last ones I've seen haven't been too bad on price, but I have seen some go for a good bit more than I'd be willing to pay.  As a matter of fact, I've seen some privately owned ones go for as little as $4K, which is a bit high but not outrageous for something that you can easily title.

But yeah, I'm cheap, I want one in immaculate condition for $1500!!  

LC

Me too.  I paid 680? ( I forget exactly) before fees, tax, and title for a running winch truck a couple years ago.  Yeah, must have been because the final price was 740 something.  Only problems so far has been 1 headlight dead, 1 bent fender (bent back and body filled myself), stuck wheel cylinders (emergency fix to get it running so I could drive it off post), and a dead brake light switch.   I think it went cheap because it had no brakes.

The days of super cheap deuces are probably gone, but they should still be a great buy for a long time to come based on how many got surplused out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Me too.  I paid 680? ( I forget exactly) before fees, tax, and title for a running winch truck a couple years ago.  Yeah, must have been because the final price was 740 something.  Only problems so far has been 1 headlight dead, 1 bent fender (bent back and body filled myself), stuck wheel cylinders (emergency fix to get it running so I could drive it off post), and a dead brake light switch.   I think it went cheap because it had no brakes.

The days of super cheap deuces are probably gone, but they should still be a great buy for a long time to come based on how many got surplused out.

I agree, but there are still a decent amount of them in the system if the last two places I've been to are any indication.  Not as cheap as the last 4-5 years, but cheap enough.  I paid a good bit more for my winch truck last year ($2450), but still felt like I got a bargain, particularly since all I have had to do is change oil and air up the tires.  

LC
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#40]
We have a truck tent for our F150. Love it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://man-a-fre.com/pa3/images/ARBRooftoptent-Annexe.jpg

My buddy had one of theese on his Land rover discovery. He has put a half a million miles on the truck traveling all over and having a blast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top