Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2001 1:58:37 AM EDT
I am considering getting a new rifle for deer hunting. In the area where I hunt in Michigan shot are rarely over 50 yards becuase of the brush being on the thick side. I am having such a hard time between choosing one of these rifles. I like the idea of the .44 magnum rifle, a .44 caliber hole sounds like it would do a really good job on stopping a deer. but the Mini-30
sounds good becuase other than having the 5 round hunting mag i could also get some 20 round mags and keep the rifle around for for protection of my property. I feel the .4 magnum would be a better deer stopping round.  I just wish the .44 magnum carbine had 10 round mags available. 7.62 ammo is very cheap to shoot. Please help me.

Chris

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:35:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Deerfield limited to "dimished capacity" magazines...expensive ammo...pistol caliber
while at short range very effective- proven design
Mini-thirty even though you may not be able to hunt with high cap mags they are available, your original outlay/cost for mini will be cheaper than the deerfield, you can upgrade the  barrels on these,ammo is cheap and plentiful and you can get FMJ as well as soft points ....the 7.62X39 while not my first choice might be a little more versatile and cost effective in the long run and if you are on a budget imo the mini 30 edges out the 44mag
If you are not on a budget and want a military/deerifle Id look into the armalite in 308
or M1A or FN  better knock down on whitetails more versatile in the long haul just my .02
If you are still sold on the mini30 give me a email jaybee1967@hotmail got a brand new one in the box and plenty of high cap mags make you a good deal
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Six,

You must live north of M45 so you can use centerfire rifle if you're considering the Mini 30.  I think both of those calibers, in a rifle, are competing with a lot of better choices, one is the 7.62X39 mentioned by 9.  You'ld be up there close to the .30-30 ballistics and energy wise.

I would say go with a .308 also though.  Then if you ever get a chance to shoot accross a 40 you'll be equipped.    
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Sixgun, you can do a whole lot better then the two you picked if you are looking for a hunting rifle. For what the 44 semi's are selling for you could get a very nice rifle and scope. The mini 30's are just fun guns. If you really want the 44 have you looked at the Ruger lever 44? almost half the cost of the semi and almost 100 less than the mini30. There is a gun show this weekend in Mt Clemens and We will set up there just as you come into the show area and I can let you look at the them to compare. I really like the lever because your hand never leaves the grip.
just my 0.02 Ron
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
sixgun....be sure to look at the remington 7400`s. you can get a carbine version of 30-06 and ten round magazines are readily available. if that isn`t enough firepower for you, nothing is. i have a mini 30, a great short range deer gun, also a great blaster, which is it`s primary function. it is also more accurate than most guys say on this site. i had a 44 carbine, and although excellent for close up deer, i would rather use the 20gge sabots at 100 yrds than the 44.if you want a good all around autoload rifle primary for hunting, check out the 7400...i have one of those also...NO comparison to the mini 30.....[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you plan on short range shooting, the 44 mag might be ok for you. In my experience though, 44 mag accuracy in a rifle (several lever actions) has been absolutely miserable. It actually makes a mini 30 look good, even at 50 yds, and especially at 100 yds. I gave up a beautiful Marlin Cowboy lever gun because of poor accuracy. Ballistics should be better at 100 yds with a 7.62 X 39, with less recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top