Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2011 6:34:24 AM EDT
Last weekend driving to Disneyland my vehicle was rear ended by some asshole not paying attention. I was coming to a stop because traffic was being merged into one lane and he barreled into me. It didn't seem like he was going to fast and jolt wasn't too bad, but about three days later my back started aching, now its hurting really bad. His insurance rep called that night and I said nobody was injured, but I've got no other explanation why my back would be killing me.

Never been in a situation like this before and google fu just gets me a bunch of lawsuit lawyers, but what would my best course of action in this situation be? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact a lawyer.  Have you signed anything yet? I'm sure they will say you need to see a doctor.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Talk to the insurance company again.  I was in an accident a year a few years ago with similar circumstances.  Other guys fault and I originally told the insurance companies nobody was injured.  Then, a few days later, my wife's neck started hurting.  We called them back and they took care of it.  Nothing serious, x-rays and a few visits to the chiropractor.  It was all taken care of by the insurance company.  Just don't sign anything settling the issue until everything is resolved.  Injuries showing up days/weeks after an accident is not uncommon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Is CA a PIP state?  If so, go to a reputable doctor and bill the PIP.  If not go to a doctor and submit it to your health insurance 9if any).
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

...His insurance rep called that night and I said nobody was injured...

That was a mistake.  Don't do it again, and don't sign anything.
Lawyer up immediately with someone who specializes in personal injury, and otherwise STFU about it, including on this forum and don't even talk to your own insurance company.  Don't talk to anyone except your PI lawyer.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep...hope you can make this work now...
Quoted:

Quoted:
...His insurance rep called that night and I said nobody was injured...

That was a mistake.  Don't do it again, and don't sign anything.

Lawyer up immediately and otherwise STFU about it, including on this forum.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Talk to the insurance company again.  I was in an accident a year a few years ago with similar circumstances.  Other guys fault and I originally told the insurance companies nobody was injured.  Then, a few days later, my wife's neck started hurting.  We called them back and they took care of it.  Nothing serious, x-rays and a few visits to the chiropractor.  It was all taken care of by the insurance company.  Just don't sign anything settling the issue until everything is resolved.  Injuries showing up days/weeks after an accident is not uncommon.

This.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Take it seriously.  I have a good friend who was hit by some woman fucking around with her cell phone.  His injuries seemed rather minor at first, but the problems have been getting worse ever since.  Now he's heading in for surgery.  I doesn't help that he's 80 years old.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm SO glad this thread is about a traffic accident.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Contact a laywer and have him put a medical lean on the accident. That's what I did.
I recieved a mid back whiplash and started hurting really bad about a week and a half after the rear end collision which totalled my car. Your medical bills could go over your policy limits for bodily injury like mine did and third party payments are a pain because when you have medical expenses out of pocket you could be forced to settle up sooner.
Once you settle that's that!. You will get a bigger settlement with an attorney. Also you need to do this so that you do not have to talk to the medical claims adjustor.
The'll ask you how you're feeling etc and it can be used against you in a settlement. Finding out you are hurt a week or latter after the accident is common. It may take several months to find out just how badly you are injured.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
. His insurance rep called that night and I said nobody was injured, but I've got no other explanation why my back would be killing me..

First up, I've always been told to never talk to their insurance company except to decide where to send my car for repair. Everything else is why I have an insurance company.

Second, if you are ever in an accident go to the hospital and get checked out. There's lots of big and little things that may take hours to develop.

I know that from experience. I got hit from behind and told my insurance company I didn't need to go. They said I would later and I was basically being dumb. They weren't shocked when I called back three hours later and said I was going.

Odds are, though, it's nothing serious and you'll just hurt for a day or two.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Please verify that you are, in fact, talking to his insurance rep.

My wife and I were hit by someone.  Two days later, their "insurance rep" called us and set up doctor appointments.  The whole thing turned out to be an insurance scam.  The worst part was that my wife had a miscarriage shortly thereafter.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm SO glad this thread is about a traffic accident.

I was going to suggest to bed lighter fellows until, well whatever.  No disrespect, traffic accidents are not a laughing matter.  People who can't focus on driving should lose their license in the least.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#13]
soft tissue injuries can take a while to manifest.  go get checked out.  docs will ask if you've been in an accident, and do the appropriate tests.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Dont sign anything or cash any checks. By cashing check for damages to auto you may in fact be relieving them from liability.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#15]
rear end thread is pertinent to me:

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please verify that you are, in fact, talking to his insurance rep.

My wife and I were hit by someone.  Two days later, their "insurance rep" called us and set up doctor appointments.  The whole thing turned out to be an insurance scam.  The worst part was that my wife had a miscarriage shortly thereafter.  

Pretty sure, it was an 800 number to geico and I've talked to two different reps. The miscarriage thing is scary, about four days before we got hit my wife found out she's expecting our second, she's going to the doctors today for her first preggo visit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#17]
My previous job I was lifting and tossing 100 lb objects all day long without an issue,  until some stupid chick rear ended me not once,  but twice!   She hit me the first time,  and when she realized she couldn't go around me to get away she floored her car and hit me again pushing me down the street until she was free.

I have been to Chiropractors,  I have been to doctors,  and I have had MRI's and xrays.  all of the docs and chiropractors say that everything they see was caused by being rear ended.  

Now I have a fuck of a time just getting out of bed in the morning and I hurt all the time,  thanks to some snide little bitch........  and my insurance co and their docs that claim that I suffer from a pre-existing condition.  

Be prepared for your ins to try to fuck you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Go to your doctor now, get everything documented. If it continues to hurt, go to the DR again. Unless your doctor finds something wrong, it is probably not worth  seeking a lawyer- insurance will probably cover your medical bills plus about $500.

Let the insruance company know that your hurting now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Go to your doctor now, get everything documented. If it continues to hurt, go to the DR again. Unless your doctor finds something wrong, it is probably not worth  seeking a lawyer- insurance will probably cover your medical bills plus about $500.

Let the insruance company know that your hurting now.

Went to the VA, the doctor seemed to think all I was there for was to get pain pills and was more then willing to give me narcotic drugs He said car accidents are like football games, you don't feel em when you play you feel them the next day then said take these pills and to PT and I'll get better without any sort of diagnostic tools other than "let me see you walk and bend over".

Insurance company for the drivers that hit me said they are prepared to pay $500 and $1500 for medical fees because the damage to my car was only $1000 so obviously I must not have been hurt. Pretty much hit the nail JAD, but my family is recommending and urging that I get counseled by a lawyer or at least be seen by a civilian doctor who will actually check out my injury with a scan or x-ray.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Called up a bunch of law offices in the area, nobody wants to take the case because the property damage was only $1000. Guess I'm just going to keep documenting medical visits ect.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Go see a doc, and get an MRI RFN.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Arrange to get front-ended. That should cancel out your back pain.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Arrange to get front-ended. That should cancel out your back pain.

I'm not sure he swings that way.

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#25]
if you didnt sign anything contact your/their insurance company and see what they say.

also, padwan, never say everyone is fine!   you can say the "appear" okay, but not sure.    it may take a day or 2 for the muscles to feel it.  many times, you tense up before the crash and so you wont feel it then, but later that night or next am.

iac, if their insurance wont do anything contact yours and then go see a doctor ASAP.  imo, i dont have much faith in our medical professionals when it comes to certain things. Yes they are great if they can SEE/FEEL/MEASURE/SCAN/HEAR/RECORD  it, but if they cant do any of the previous, its hard for them to do  anything yet alone give any treatment.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Go to urgent care and get an xray.  It is too early to get a lawyer involved.  You could call one and they will probably tell you exactly this.

The insurance company will probably settle for your signature for $3000-to $5000, considering the light damage.  

You will have to pay back your medical out of that amount.  

No lawyer is required to get this settlement.  If you mention lawyer to the insurance company, their discussions on this matter with you will cease until you find a lawyer to take most of your settlement money.

This has happened to me three times and this is exactly how I played it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hi.  May I be off assistance?

1.  Find a lawyer.  A good lawyer.  Tell them what happened.  Write it out, in detail.
2.  See a doctor.  Request X-rays and if possible, a CT scan.
3.  Go to physical therapy.  You will need it, and it does wonders.
4.  Lock this fuckin' thread ASAP.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top