Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2011 7:14:33 AM EDT
how can you make a field expedient cannon fuse from smokeless shotgun powder or pyrodex? local fun store is closed i am afraid for the day so i am unable to acquire proper fuse.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]

[ Tremors] What do you need cannon fuse for? [/Tremors]

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Improvised black match:

Lay out a length of masking tape, sticky side up.
Sprinkle with black powder.
Roll it up tightly, trim to length.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#3]
to shoot my cannon what is cannon fuse used for?

Quoted:

[ Tremors] What do you need cannon fuse for? [/Tremors]

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
dibs on guns and ammo

oh, and hide your dog
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Improvised black match:

Lay out a length of masking duct tape, sticky side up.

Fixed.

OP, please take video and don't forget to say "Hey y'all, watch this!"
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A paper straw full of black powder.

I buy my cannon fuse from Kansas Cannon Works.

Post pics of your cannon or GTFO!

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Improvised black match:

Lay out a length of masking duct tape, sticky side up.

Fixed.

OP, please take video and don't forget to say "Hey y'all, watch this" and hand your beer to your SO!
Fixed

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#9]
YOU OWN A CANNON AND HAVEN'T STOCKPILED FUSE!?Fail !I have fuse and powder even though I don't have a cannon. Never know when opportunity might collide with preperation........
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Ummm, make slurry out of powder and alcohol, then slather on a piece of paper, then twist it, then let dry?
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#11]
<––- slowly backing out. I think i will hold my buddies beer and let him light it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I would use neither. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands to figure out the burn rate. You could wet it, grind it, and make some sort of a slurry with a binder to slow it down, and pack it in some sort of a small hollow shoe lace then dry it out.
With the smokeless you could try mixing it with acetone, it will turn to Goo. Then coat a fine string with it. The problem there is I don't think it will have enough oxygen to burn through your fuse hole unless you make a 1/4" fuse and your fuse hole was is 1/100 of an inch thick.

Is say if you can't get cruddy fireworks to steal fuse from, just get a bunch of books of matches, and some masking tape.
Cut all the match heads off and stick them along one edge of the tape so they are all touching. Once you have the length of fuse you need, start on the match head side and roll it up tight. It should be close to the size of your common cannon fuse, with a similar burn rate, and plenty of oxidiser to burn confined. Hell you could pry use a light coat of glue and water proof it if you wanted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#13]
If you don't have fuse or are concerned about making it,  a small pile of powder on the flash hole and light with a punk taped to a stick...

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That sounds more like a fire cracker with just a flash hole.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would use neither. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands to figure out the burn rate. You could wet it, grind it, and make some sort of a slurry with a binder to slow it down, and pack it in some sort of a small hollow shoe lace then dry it out.
With the smokeless you could try mixing it with acetone, it will turn to Goo. Then coat a fine string with it. The problem there is I don't think it will have enough oxygen to burn through your fuse hole unless you make a 1/4" fuse and your fuse hole was is 1/100 of an inch thick.

Is say if you can't get cruddy fireworks to steal fuse from, just get a bunch of books of matches, and some masking tape.
Cut all the match heads off and stick them along one edge of the tape so they are all touching. Once you have the length of fuse you need, start on the match head side and roll it up tight. It should be close to the size of your common cannon fuse, with a similar burn rate, and plenty of oxidiser to burn confined. Hell you could pry use a light coat of glue and water proof it if you wanted.

all smokeless and black powders have oxidizers in them, they have no need for an external oxygen source, it's all self contained.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Improvised black match:

Lay out a length of masking tape, sticky side up.

NO NO NO!!!

Black powder will give you next to a ZERO delay fuze. Think flash powder.

The best thing to use for this type is a rifle powder. Anything like win.748 or IMR 4064 or 3031. They will burn slow enough (actually pretty damn slow) to be used as a fuse.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Where are you at OP? I have 20' of waterproof fuse in Olathe.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Get it tamped too loosely and you get a "woosh". Too tight and you get a "fshhhhhhh-Bang!"

Making fuse with BP is not something to improvise with.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#19]
151st and 69
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

151st and 69

I can drop some off, Its just the green waterproof kind.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't have a cannon. not yet at least one day though. I was looking for a way to extend the fuse on a commercially available firecracker.

Quoted:

YOU OWN A CANNON AND HAVEN'T STOCKPILED FUSE!?Fail !I have fuse and powder even though I don't have a cannon. Never know when opportunity might collide with preperation........

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

all smokeless and black powders have oxidizers in them, they have no need for an external oxygen source, it's all self contained.

Yeah your right, but its not really aggressive enough to burn through small fuse holes with out being loose packed as it is in cartridges. So you could make it work, but you better make a 5 ft. Fuse if you like to stand back a distance at all from the cannon, because its going to burn fast.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#23]
there's a reason you see Wiley Coyote making little trails with gunpowder and lighting it with a match to get the Roadrunner

Give it a try.

Video please.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Just use a sparkler bend it at 90 degrees at the flash hole so that it wont drop hot sparkes down and pree ignight when you arnt ready for it.
i did this when i forgot my fuse last year and lit off about 50 beer cans with no ill efect to the flash hole.
a couple of times the sparkler blew out of the flash hole about 10 feet when the charge went off so be ready for that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#25]
An option would be to visit a hobby store and get a model rocket igniter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#26]
How you ever you do it, be safe. I wouldn't use a homemade fuse for explosives or fireworks as the primary fuse. Make it a hell of a lot longer than you would a commercial fuse, especially if its your first.

I only had to do it once. I didn't have too I guess, but one year I didn't have any extra and found a large arial shell from the night before that never went off. It had about inch of the quick fuse left. I did the match head fuse with a short bottle rocket fuse as a safety link just long enough to come out of the tube then horizontal again for a few inches. Worked great but took about a minute to go off as it burns so much slower that the quick stuff that comes with the shells.

That all being said, I have at least hundred feet left this year. I wish I lived closer or I'd bring ya some
sounds like a good time.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Does KS have fireworks? All the fireworks stands around here carry it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Enjoy that while it lasts...

I can remember when one could buy DuPont TNT at the local hardware store but nobody did because they could still buy real fertilizer too.

Kiss your tannerite goodbye too.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#29]
what do you need to light might be an important question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top