Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this like biscuits but with meat?

More like a dinner roll.

I stole this from Wiki

"The pepperoni roll was invented by Giuseppe "Joseph" Argiro at the Country Club Bakery in Fairmont, West Virginia, in 1927.[5] The rolls originated as a lunch option for the coal miners of north-central West Virginia in the first half of the 20th century.[1][6] Pepperoni rolls do not need to be refrigerated for storage and could readily be packed for lunch by miners. Pepperoni and other Italian foods became popular in north-central West Virginia in the early 20th century, when the booming mines and railroads attracted many immigrants from Italy.[1] The pepperoni roll bears a resemblance to the pasty and sausage roll, which originated in the mining communities of Great Britain, as well as to the Italian calzone. "

One of the coal mining towns was named Brooklyn by the coal company to trick italian immigrants into coming there where they had no choice but to work in the mines.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a place called Glory's Bakery in Virginia Beach that sells these. I ate them a lot more as a teenager, but now that you mention it, I think I know what's for dinner tonight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. That's a lot of pepperoni rolls?

Where is that at? Those look quite a bit like public school pepperoni rolls, which may in fact be some of the best I've ever had.

Everyone around here remembers "pepperoni roll day" and trying to sweet talk the lunch ladies into letting you have two.

It's in Huntington at Brunetti's Bakery.  Our Boy Scout troop makes them every year.

I love that place.  

I might have to check out Brunetti's. I've been here two years and have never heard of it. Do they always have those pepperoni rolls, or is ithat a special thing they let the boyscouts make?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that at? Those look quite a bit like public school pepperoni rolls, which may in fact be some of the best I've ever had.

Everyone around here remembers "pepperoni roll day" and trying to sweet talk the lunch ladies into letting you have two.

It's in Huntington at Brunetti's Bakery.  Our Boy Scout troop makes them every year.

I love that place.  

I might have to check out Brunetti's. I've been here two years and have never heard of it. Do they always have those pepperoni rolls, or is ithat a special thing they let the boyscouts make?

Actually... Brunetti's is only a commercial bakery now.  They supply Rocco's and Evaroni's and ship out quite a bit of product.  They no longer make pepperoni rolls but they donate all the dough to our scout troop there in Spring Valley.  I have three dozen left to sell! (:   $6.00 per half dozen.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Ohio and PA are full of pepperoni rolls.

Giant Eagle sells em by the bag
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love that place.  

Actually... Brunetti's is only a commercial bakery now.  They supply Rocco's and Evaroni's and ship out quite a bit of product.  They no longer make pepperoni rolls but they donate all the dough to our scout troop there in Spring Valley.  I have three dozen left to sell! (:   $6.00 per half dozen.  

I'd chip in for some but I'm set to go to Rocco's in a couple of nights for a dinner with Mrs. Jeepnstein.  That's how I know Brunetti's.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah... invented in 1927 in WV... by an Italian... not like meat breads of many varities hadn't been popular in Italy for centuries.

Guessing somebody brought it over from the old country and said... these WV hicks have never seen anything like this, I'll make a fortune selling it to the miners!

An Italian in West Virgina?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Come to NY to learn what a real Roni Roll is... that looks like a fucking hotpocket.

QFT

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love that place.  

I'd chip in for some but I'm set to go to Rocco's in a couple of nights for a dinner with Mrs. Jeepnstein.  That's how I know Brunetti's.

Ohhhh... Roccos.  Way jealous!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah... invented in 1927 in WV... by an Italian... not like meat breads of many varities hadn't been popular in Italy for centuries.

Guessing somebody brought it over from the old country and said... these WV hicks have never seen anything like this, I'll make a fortune selling it to the miners!

Fairmont and Clarksburg are full of Italian Americans
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love that place.  

I'll take a half-dozen for $6.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had them and I really like them.  DoubleDave's pizza here in TX makes good ones.  Also, their Philly Cheese Stromboli are awesome too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rocco's (Rocco Muriale), Brunetti's, Evaroni's... see a pattern?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
never seen such an animal, but it looks good.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I love that place.  

PM incoming if I can figure it out!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lots of things going on in West Virginia that people outside the state are unaware of.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

PM incoming if I can figure it out!
[/quote]

I sent you one. There should be an exclamation mark on the letter icon in the top left portion of the screen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Come to NY to learn what a real Roni Roll is... that looks like a fucking hotpocket.

2nd post nailed it for me!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I grew up with them, but haven't had one in 25 years.  

What about Stewart's hot dogs, in Huntington?  

THAT is a WV tradition!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Never heard of Pepperoni Roll in the old country.

First heard of them just across the Mason Dixon Line from WV  

Had never heard of p[erogi eithers, until I notice the triathelon sponsor on TV from the old country
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Go to Pittsburgh...there is a bakery with awesome pepperoni rolls.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
never seen such an animal, but it looks good.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#25]

I buy those sometimes on a whim if they're on sale.  They're great!  I microwave despite them getting all wet and gooey

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Walmart sells them...
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I would like to thank SavageRabbit for selling me 6 delicious pepperoni rolls.

Delicious!

I highly recommend picking some up if you are in Huntington while there are still a few bags left.

Plus it helps support the Boyscouts.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Took the words out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This... but needs sauce.

Therefore I'm more of a calzone type.

Calzones don't have sauce, sauce is on the side and you dip or pour on the top. Seriously, who are you people?

Pizza heathens. Least free state in the nation, but at least you can get a good fucking pizza.

We'll die in chains, but at least we will have a great last meal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This... but needs sauce.

Calzones don't have sauce, sauce is on the side and you dip or pour on the top. Seriously, who are you people?

Pizza heathens. Least free state in the nation, but at least you can get a good fucking pizza.

That is the only thing I think I will miss when I get paroled from this shitty state.  I've been all over the country NY/NJ pizza and bagels can not be beat.  Last time I was away on business some other coworkers from all over the country were ordering lunch from Dominos, I passed.  And every other place I have been the bagels might as well be Lenders from the freezer aisle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This... but needs sauce.

That is the only thing I think I will miss when I get paroled from this shitty state.  I've been all over the country NY/NJ pizza and bagels can not be beat.  Last time I was away on business some other coworkers from all over the country were ordering lunch from Dominos, I passed.  And every other place I have been the bagels might as well be Lenders from the freezer aisle.

I'm telling you, it is the water from the NYC watershed... bread made from it and good flour is unbeatable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So it got brought up in conversation the other day that people outside of West Virginia are unfamiliar with the delicious food item known as a pepperoni roll.

This was baffling to me and I had trouble believing that it was actually true. I asked my sister who goes to school in NC and she said she had, in fact, met people who did not know what they were.

To me, that would be like not knowing what a sandwich is. I consider them a basic staple food.

Do people outside the state not eat them, or do they just have a different name?

It's basically a dinner roll that is hollow and filled with cheese and pepperoni.

Here's a pic I got off of google. I was going to post pics of the ones my aunt made for me, but they weren't very photogenic so I just ate them.

http://withduckandgoose.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pepperoni_roll01.jpg

Used to eat one a couple of times aweek from grade school through high school here in michigan. Best ones I have ever had are from a little hole in the wall bakery that was on the way to school.

J-
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, and we have pizza as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would like to thank SavageRabbit for selling me 6 delicious pepperoni rolls.

Delicious!

I highly recommend picking some up if you are in Huntington while there are still a few bags left.

Plus it helps support the Boyscouts.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/Misifits0138/peproll.jpg

Thank you for buying them!  It was nice meeting you.  Got a phone call and sold the rest of them before I got home. (:  All gone peeps until next year!

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I grew up with them, but haven't had one in 25 years.  

What about Stewart's hot dogs, in Huntington?  

THAT is a WV tradition!

Yes indeed!  and Frostop across from the hospital!   Ask for hotdog "sauce" NOT chili!

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#36]
we had them in Southwestern Pennsylvania 30 years ago.
that's minutes from WV, though, so it figures.

do you have pierogies?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top