Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2011 4:41:43 PM EDT
They were all over the place in the mid 90's. Now, I need one. I don't care if it is a folder or dagger. I haven't seen them at shows in some time and was hoping someone here may have experience with them.

I don't want one that is too pricey either. Zytel, ABS, glock-plastic, or whatever else.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a 7 inch long Obsidian shank I would take into places that had metal detectors. That fucking thing was sharp as all fuck.   I lost it last time I moved.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Cold Steal (intentional) makes quite a selection of cheap plastic crap knives. If you want a non-metallic worth a shit you will need to shell out for a ceramic knife. Keep in mind in some states it is illegal to possess non-metallic knives even as a "peace officer" without a few hoops.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Like this?

Go here: CIA Defense Tool set

Edit - they carry the Cold Steel FGX line as well...

http://budk.com/Knives/Cold-Steel-FGX-Karambit-Knife?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Wow.  $13 for that set is not bad.

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
My local grocery store has a hellish deal on 50 or 100 packs.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
That is the kind of stuff I was looking for. Anyone own a folder out of any of these materials?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a blackie Collins assisted opening zytex folder, it melted in my truck after I spilled some carb cleaner on it, it was useless even for stabbing (about the only thing you can do with a plastic knife.) why not just get a normal knife or are you trying to carry where you are not allowed too?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a blackie Collins assisted opening zytex folder, it melted in my truck after I spilled some carb cleaner on it, it was useless even for stabbing (about the only thing you can do with a plastic knife.) why not just get a normal knife or are you trying to carry where you are not allowed too?

Not illegal, but metal detectors get in the way. If I had one of those Glock 7, I would be set!
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not illegal, but metal detectors get in the way. If I had one of those Glock 7, I would be set!

Are you kidding?  Those things cost more than you make in a month.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you kidding?  Those things cost more than you make in a month.

you'd be surprised how much he makes a month.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive read that a few companies put a chunk of metal in their "plastic" knives so people cant sneak them through metal detectors. Liability reasons and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I will check it prior to use. I know where some metal detectors are located.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why not just get something that conceals behind your belt buckle? Everytime I go through the metal detector at our courthouse I set it off. I just shrug to the guard and say "probably my belt buckle" raise my shirt and show him, then he lets me pass though.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Would a ceramic-bladed Boker or Hk knife set-off a metal detector?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not just get something that conceals behind your belt buckle? Everytime I go through the metal detector at our courthouse I set it off. I just shrug to the guard and say "probably my belt buckle" raise my shirt and show him, then he lets me pass though.

They make you take off your belt here, so that wouldn't work.

Some places are very paranoid and will thoroughly check any metal alerts.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Those are cheap.... may be worth experimenting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I used to have a 7 inch long Obsidian shank I would take into places that had metal detectors. That fucking thing was sharp as all fuck.   I lost it last time I moved.

I carry the exact kind of weapon when a metal detector is present  VERY sharp and deadly..

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Ive read that a few companies put a chunk of metal in their "plastic" knives so people cant sneak them through metal detectors. Liability reasons and all that jazz.

Yes, my ceramic kitchen knife sets off my Garrett metal detector.  IIRC, its not a chunk of metal though, its some sort of metallic compound added to the ceramic.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry the exact kind of weapon when a metal detector is present  VERY sharp and deadly..

Do you have a pic?

Most of the ones I located use deer antlers for a handle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My local grocery store has a hellish deal on 50 or 100 packs.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/images/user-submit/130AHKCL_-NVBCQH_XLG.jpg

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a cold steel zytel tanto, not sure what happened to it over the years. It's probably in a box or bin somewhere. It was pretty decent, they're pointless against hard objects but against soft.... It wouldn't be my first choice for self defense but if I needed something that wouldn't set off a metal detector it's an option.

For the most part they are stabbing weapons, simply because making one thin and sharp enough to slice means it gets dull the instant it hits anything harder than butter. Sure, you might get through a layer of cloth ONCE, but after that the edge isn't there to repeat it effectively. Stabbing though... works just fine. That's why many of them are triangular profiles and don't even bother to look like a knife. The Kerambit designs play on the leverage and profile to do some damage but it's not so much a slice as a stabbing arc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Lansky "The Knife"

Kinda cheap, but it would work if needed
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.ceramicknife.org/

stumbled across this site once.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://www.ceramicknife.org/

stumbled across this site once.

AIRPORT SECURITY
 Airport Security and Ceramic Knife Airport and other security detection devices have difficulty in detecting plastic or ceramic materials. For this reason we have made sure that the body of these ceramic pocket knives contain a high percentage of stainless steel to ensure detection by existing security scanners. While not, as yet regulated, we feel it is important to offer this security feature and if regulations are every put in place your ceramic folding knife should pass any reasonable rulings. Certain models that I have produced for EOD work have to be non-magnetic and thus may be limited to use by professionals in that field.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#28]
If you get a ceramic blade, don't leave it open and then step on it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#29]
The dagger style knives conceal nicely inside a kneck tie, point down.  They also provide enough weight to keep your tie from blowing around in the wind.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 2:38:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#31]
So which brands or models don't add metal to the blade sufficient to or for the purpose of setting off metal detectors?
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The dagger style knives conceal nicely inside a kneck tie, point down.  They also provide enough weight to keep your tie from blowing around in the wind.

Good info. Are you talking on the straght handle or will some of the push (t handle) styles still fit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top