Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2011 7:25:06 PM EDT
I currently have a 5 year old Ridgid Ni-Cad cordless tool kit. I've beat the hell out of it with almost no problems. I have three batteries but they do not hold a charge long. I never registered them so I can't get free replacements. Plus freakin home depot doesn't even stock ni-cad batteries for my kit anymore. The only problems I've had with this kit is the quick release on the sawzall sometimes doesn't take a blade, and one of the lights on the charger quit working (but still charges).  Also not really a problem but the sawzall doesn't cut turns very well.

I want to treat myself to a nice new kit. I need a 5 piece kit that includes an impact driver (used the most), skil saw, sawzall, drill, and flash light.

I am a contractor so these tools will be used daily. I also make it a point to run a cord as little as possible so I use my cordless kit a lot.

I typically use the impact gun the most, followed by the skil saw, so I am definitely concerned with the performance of these two tools out of the kit.

My ni-cad Ridgid impact gun will sink a 3 inch screw faster than a lithium ion Makita impact. But the Makita is half the weight (or less). I like sinking screws fast.

Another note is these batteries will most often be charged through a power inverter in my truck. A two battery charger would be a huge plus.

Which kit should I go with? Everyone and their dog has a dewault kit but I like to stay away from the crowd (keeps people from using my batteries, etc) but will go with dewault if they are the best. Looking at home depot today and it seems the 18v dewault lithium ion batteries are a lot larger than their competitors.

ETA also if I go with Milwaukee, should I go 18v or 28v?  Do they make a 28v 1/4" impact driver?
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Makita and Milwaukee are a step above the other two.  I have not been too impressed with Dewalt as of late and no experience with Rigid.  

I have a Milwaukee skilsaw my dad bought when I was about 5.  30 years later and it needs a new cord, but still works.  And its lived a hard life.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
My vote goes to the Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote goes to Makita.  I beat the hell out of my tools, and they are the ones that last.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Milwaukee is now owned by the ppl who own Makita, and are made in China.

Basically it's Chinese shit unless you find treasure in some pawn shop or garage sale.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Makita and Milwaukee are a step above the other two.  I have not been too impressed with Dewalt as of late and no experience with Rigid.  

I have a Milwaukee skilsaw my dad bought when I was about 5.  30 years later and it needs a new cord, but still works.  And its lived a hard life.

First post nails it. Makita is the best stuff out these days but Milwaukee is pretty darn good too. Dewalt and Rigid are not really in the same league.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Well...

If you feel like doing a little research there may be a way to fix the batteries on the kit you already own.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Hilti. Nice gear.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

Good stuff, much of it made in Tulsa Oklahoma.  Very expensive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Big fan of the DeWalt 18V XRP series.  I've had mine (and abused them thoroughly) for about 5 years.  Never had a problem.  Battery life and reliability is outstanding.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The Ridgid tools are awesome.  The chargers and batteries.... not so much.  I am on my 3rd charger and been through several batteries in just under a year (they have a lifetime warranty, but you're gonna need it).  Makitas do the job,  but wear out pretty quick.  Everyone I work with has switched over to Milwaukee.  We all still use the DeWalt 18v XRP drills.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The one thing Rigid has over the others is lifetime warranty on most everything.

Even Batteries.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#13]
From the people I know that really use their tools hard they are usually either in the Milwaukee or Dewalt camps. Personally I went with Milwaukee and have been happy so far but mine are new and haven't lived a hard life. I don't like how the new milwaukee lithium batteries work. The older stuff they had had a battery that could be put on either forward or backward. For a drill for instance you could hang the bigger part off the battery off the back of the drill instead of the front for clearance. My 18v lithium doesn't do this. Nothing else wrong with it, just seems like a step backwards. From using the older 18v tools over the years I'd say you should be happy with either Milwaukee or Dewalt. Can't really speak of the others.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The one thing Rigid has over the others is lifetime warranty on most everything.

Even Batteries.

I'd rather have a reliable battery than a warranty on an unreliable battery.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even Batteries.

I'd rather have a reliable battery than a warranty on an unreliable battery.

THIS!!  It has been a pain in the ass waiting on replacements.  I wish I had bought Milwaukee.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Rigid. Excellent warranties on everything. Never had to use it though. Nice to know it's there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
You can have a brand where this happens..

Or you can have this...

Milwaukee M18.

Also, for me, having a battery gauge (not to mention a reliable battery like Milwaukee offers) is a HUGE advantage over the Makita which has no battery gauge.  It sounds like something stupid, but it is really nice to have when you use them professionally, every day.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

I own a whole bunch of Hilti stuff.  But NONE of their cordless SHIT.  Corded Hilti=GREAT, Cordless Hilti=shit, though still better than dewalt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
A hose clamp will fix that DeWalt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
From the people I know that really use their tools hard they are usually either in the Milwaukee or Dewalt camps. Personally I went with Milwaukee and have been happy so far but mine are new and haven't lived a hard life. I don't like how the new milwaukee lithium batteries work. The older stuff they had had a battery that could be put on either forward or backward. For a drill for instance you could hang the bigger part off the battery off the back of the drill instead of the front for clearance. My 18v lithium doesn't do this. Nothing else wrong with it, just seems like a step backwards. From using the older 18v tools over the years I'd say you should be happy with either Milwaukee or Dewalt. Can't really speak of the others.

...because the balance is better than most other brands with the new batteries, so it doesn't matter if you can mount it forward or backwards.  Also, the drills and batteries are now designed different so you aren't saving room for tight spots like you would before.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Ive had a dewalt 18volt XRP set for about 6 years.  It has been used and abused, still holding up fine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Makita!
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#23]
i went with milwaukee. the 28v ans 32v differences are negligible, the dewalts are fuckin HUGE, and everyone and their mother has one. makes it easier to identify my shit on the job and milwaukees are damn good reliable tools. sawzalls suck batteries dry like a whore on a cock that she thinks has the antidote though
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

I own a whole bunch of Hilti stuff.  But NONE of their cordless SHIT.  Corded Hilti=GREAT, Cordless Hilti=shit, though still better than dewalt.
if you are willing to spend the $$$ to invest in hilti, DO IT. you will NEVER regret it, those hiltis are badass motherfuckers, but EXPENSIVE

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Dewalt.   G2G

Stay away from Hilti.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Disregard.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagged for opinions as my current batch of Craftsman screwguns are on it's way out .
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

Good stuff.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Hitachi.

The new standard.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

if you are willing to spend the $$$ to invest in hilti, DO IT. you will NEVER regret it, those hiltis are badass motherfuckers, but EXPENSIVE

I don't own their cordless SHIT for a reason.  Their cordless tools are exactly that, shit.  (unless you include their powder actuated nail guns, I like mine, but I don't they aren't battery cordless either)
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

I don't own their cordless SHIT for a reason.  Their cordless tools are exactly that, shit.  (unless you include their powder actuated nail guns, I like mine, but I don't they aren't battery cordless either)
what makes you think that? theres cordless shit is some of the best ive ever used

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

what makes you think that? theres cordless shit is some of the best ive ever used

I used to (as in 2 years ago) own a couple of their cordless hammer drills and they absolutely blow in terms of power.  The battery life is just horrific on them.  I can give credit where it's do, and they didn't break in half like two of my Dewalts, nor did I go through a million batteries.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

I used to (as in 2 years ago) own a couple of their cordless hammer drills and they absolutely blow in terms of power.  The battery life is just horrific on them.  I can give credit where it's do, and they didn't break in half like two of my Dewalts, nor did I go through a million batteries.

did you contact hilta and try to resolve the issue? nobodys perfect, there are always lemons. i was on a job and they had all hilt cordless and i was fucking blown away... i was trying like hell to drop my morals and steal the motherfuckers

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I run all yellow tools and run them hard. Never an issue.

DeWalt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#35]
The Hilti 36v roto hammer is pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

did you contact hilta and try to resolve the issue? nobodys perfect, there are always lemons. i was on a job and they had all hilt cordless and i was fucking blown away... i was trying like hell to drop my morals and steal the motherfuckers

They weren't lemons.  18v(especially, but we can include 36v) battery operated/cordless Hilti tools just don't have the performance of brands like Milwaukee M18/M28.

For example, the new M18 Rotary hammer from Milwaukee has nearly double the impact force/energy as the 36v Hilti rotary hammer.  Hilti just makes shitty battery op tools and needs to stick with making my corded tools that I love from hilti.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

They weren't lemons.  18v(especially, but we can include 36v) battery operated/cordless Hilti tools just don't have the performance of brands like Milwaukee M18/M28.

just curious, what do you do for a living? i have all 28v milwaukee tools and as much as i love them they werent as good as hiltis

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#38]
http://www.bigskytool.com/Drills_Fasteners___c466.aspx
i don't know about their prices, but they seem to have several kits
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

you are a contractor and you've never heard of Hilti?  
have you attached anything to concrete before?

ar-jedi

ps:
btw my suggestion is Makita

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

just curious, what do you do for a living? i have all 28v milwaukee tools and as much as i love them they werent as good as hiltis

I own an electrical contracting company, and own plenty of Milwaukee and Hilti tools.  Acutally, I said I USED to own the cordless Hilti, but I still think there is an 18v hammer drill floating around in one of the vans.  

I also have V28 tools, as well as the new M28 drill/batteries (make the V28 actually perform as good as the M18 red lithium, though at a significantly higher weight).  To compare the cordless hilti to them is a complete joke.

And again, I love my corded Hiliti's, but this thread is about cordless tools.  My TE15's, the 56, 76, dx351, and whatever other hilti corded tools I have are absolutely great.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

I own an electrical contracting company, and own plenty of Milwaukee and Hilti tools.  Acutally, I said I USED to own the cordless Hilti, but I still think there is an 18v hammer drill floating around in one of the vans.  

I also have V28 tools, as well as the new M28 drill/batteries (make the V28 actually perform as good as the M18 red lithium).  To compare the cordless hilti to them is a complete joke.

thats just so odd to me because im an electrician in construction as well, and hilti blows me away every time out of the gate.... perhaps youve been off you tools for too long suit ;)

i kid i kid. hows business in your neck of the woods? you makin profit? its murder out here...

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

I also have V28 tools, as well as the new M28 drill/batteries (make the V28 actually perform as good as the M18 red lithium).  To compare the cordless hilti to them is a complete joke.

thats just so odd to me because im an electrician in construction as well, and hilti blows me away every time out of the gate.... perhaps youve been off you tools for too long suit ;)

i kid i kid. hows business in your neck of the woods? you makin profit? its murder out here...

I think you are confusing corded with cordless.  

We just won multiple contractor of the year awards and business is booming.  It's been a very steady incline over the pat 10 years, but this past year has made for some crazy work hours for everyone (I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs).

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/svh19044/070912_132131.jpg

Or you can have this...

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/svh19044/IMAG0243.jpg

Milwaukee M18.

Also, for me, having a battery gauge (not to mention a reliable battery like Milwaukee offers) is a HUGE advantage over the Makita which has no battery gauge.  It sounds like something stupid, but it is really nice to have when you use them professionally, every day.

Dude, how did you get a pic of my toolbag?

How does the right angle drill work for ya? Next on my list.

I have

M18:

Hammer Drill

Impact

Sawzall

Grinder

Flashlight

M12:

Driver (awsome for wall plates, drywall screws and all the little jobs)

Impact

Hackzall (Best drywall saw ever!)

Gonna get the M18 radio, right angle drill and inspection camera (I do a lot of retrofit wiring).

These are how I make my living, they get beat on daily and have been holding up great.

Retired my 7 year old Makita combo kit a couple of months ago and bought these. Worth every penny so far.

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or you can have this...

Milwaukee M18.

I have
M18:
Hammer Drill
Impact
Sawzall
Grinder
Flashlight

M12:
Impact

Gonna get the M18 radio, right angle drill and inspection camera (I do a lot of retrofit wiring).

These are how I make my living, they get beat on daily and have been holding up great.

Retired my 7 year old Makita combo kit a couple of months ago and bought these. Worth every penny so far.

The right angle drill with the red lithium works great for drilling holes in studs, 7/8" paddle bit.  I just put pressure with my knee and keep the trigger pulled as I'm drilling holes.  It's a real high RPM drill, but it doesn't have lots of power, so a good bit is necessary.  It feels like it spins faster than my hammer drill (but again, nowhere near the torque).  

I have the makita 18v grinder and it absolutely blows.  You can't cut anything with it, without it shutting off.  The m18 grinder is next on my list.  

For M12, I have the

inspection camera (and honestly, I'm not super pleased with the camera, the picture quality is excellent, but it doesn't have the attachment points like my old broken Rigid did for putting hooks on it, mirror, or magnet).  But it has saved my ass lots and lots of times.
hackzall
impact
HAMMER DRILL (this thing is badass, just like the impact is badass)
driver (this is actually my dedicated wirenut gun, I use the 3m/ideal tans that come with the blue socket, and that stays on the driver)
palm nailer (for boxes and new work recessed lights, it's got to be dead on with the nail, but it works quick)
RADIO (the m12 radio isn't anywhere near as loud as the m18, but it's tiny and can take a beating)

AND last, but not least, it's one of the best tools ever....

MULTIMASTER! I love my m12 multimaster, gobs and gobs of power and it replaced my POS Bosch multimaster

I'm just waiting for Milwaukee to come out with m12 or m18 ratcheting cutters and crimp tools and I think I'm set to go for a little while.  Also, not m12/m18, I have their new meter that replaced a good fluke that stopped working (ended up just being bad battery leads) and I'm keeping the Milwaukee instead of the fluke.  It's a VERY nice meter.

And to farther address the Milwaukee V/M28 lineup, the tools are too heavy with minimal gains in battery life and tool performance over Red Lithium M18.  My brother bought the new M28 hammer drill and batteries to replace his old V28 hammer drill/sawzall/circsaw kit, and while they make the V28 tools in to good tools (I was never impressed with the V28 power, it was just the battery life), the lineup stops there (plus a couple more,bandsaw, impact wrench, etc).  They are just too heavy with too few tools.  I'd skip the M28 tools and stay with M18.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Makita and Milwaukee are a step above the other two.

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Big fan of the DeWalt 18V XRP series.  I've had mine (and abused them thoroughly) for about 5 years.  Never had a problem.  Battery life and reliability is outstanding.

10 years and still working

but the drill has just started smoking when in use (may be time to replace)

I did get my batteries repacked by batteries plus

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Love my Makita cordless impact.

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Makita Milwaukee and Hitachi. I go with Milwaukee when I can. I'm convinced DeWalt is popular simply because its everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or you can have this...

Milwaukee M18.

I have

M18:

Hammer Drill

Impact

Sawzall

Grinder

Flashlight

M12:

Impact

The right angle drill with the red lithium works great for drilling holes in studs, 7/8" paddle bit.  I just put pressure with my knee and keep the trigger pulled as I'm drilling holes.  It's a real high RPM drill, but it doesn't have lots of power, so a good bit is necessary.  It feels like it spins faster than my hammer drill (but again, nowhere near the torque).  

I have the makita 18v grinder and it absolutely blows.  You can't cut anything with it, without it shutting off.  The m18 grinder is next on my list.  

For M12, I have the

inspection camera (and honestly, I'm not super pleased with the camera, the picture quality is excellent, but it doesn't have the attachment points like my old broken Rigid did for putting hooks on it, mirror, or magnet).  But it has saved my ass lots and lots of times.

hackzall

impact

HAMMER DRILL (this thing is badass, just like the impact is badass)

driver (this is actually my dedicated wirenut gun, I use the 3m/ideal tans that come with the blue socket, and that stays on the driver)

palm nailer (for boxes and new work recessed lights, it's got to be dead on with the nail, but it works quick)

RADIO (the m12 radio isn't anywhere near as loud as the m18, but it's tiny and can take a beating)

AND last, but not least, it's one of the best tools ever....

MULTIMASTER! I love my m12 multimaster, gobs and gobs of power and it replaced my POS Bosch multimaster

I'm just waiting for Milwaukee to come out with m12 or m18 ratcheting cutters and crimp tools and I think I'm set to go for a little while.  Also, not m12/m18, I have their new meter that replaced a good fluke that stopped working (ended up just being bad battery leads) and I'm keeping the Milwaukee instead of the fluke.  It's a VERY nice meter.

And to farther address the Milwaukee V/M28 lineup, the tools are too heavy with minimal gains in battery life and tool performance over Red Lithium M18.  My brother bought the new M28 hammer drill and batteries to replace his old V28 hammer drill/sawzall/circsaw kit, and while they make the V28 tools in to good tools (I was never impressed with the V28 power, it was just the battery life), the lineup stops there (plus a couple more,bandsaw, impact wrench, etc).  They are just too heavy with too few tools.  I'd skip the M28 tools and stay with M18.

The grinder works really well, was just using mine yesterday to cut out the floors in a cart project I am working on. ALMOST as powerful as my corded (Makita) grinder.

I am kinda torn between the M12 and M18 radios. The m12 one is tiny and I have more m12 then m18 batteries, but the big one sounds so much better. My current Makita one sounds great but no Aux in jack for my ipod (mandatory when you are spending a couple of days in a basement trimming out panels and there is no reception down there)

Milwaukee does have M12 ratcheting cutters, both for copper and PVC.

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hilti. Nice gear.

Never heard of them?

Great stuff, Hilti is top of the line, Cadillac type stuff.  They have a bug section right up front in my local Home Depot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top