BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can decide for yourself what's good and what's not.
But guns that are unsafe and have a high failure rate should be inthe running.

I have one and love it.  Its not a highly refined gun but its great for its purpose.  Decent power due to the longer barrel, accurate at moderate ranges, extremely lightweight, and best of all it folds into such a small package that you can fit it into a laptop bag or small backpack.  I have probably put 2000 rounds through it and had no problems.  YMMV

What are you talking about when you say "unsafe"?

They are unsafe due to the high number of failures.
The most common failure is cracked polymer arpundcthe chamber causing the gun to split in two.
The trigger guards break off a lot as well.
Kel Tec is always happy to fix it and are usually very fast, but when 4 of every 5 guns a sell come back it's pretty clear the gun sucks.
I wish with all my heart kel Tec didn't suck, if for no other reason than I'd like to get a break from pissed off customers with broken subs or pmr30s.
They do have good ideas and in time someone like Diomandback will start making sub 2K type rifles that don't suck
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry but you wasted your money.
Most people just brush it off and dream up ways to justify their poor choice.
But that gun is junk and nobody needs to agree for it to be true.
I supervise shooters all day and see 100s of guns of every type you can imagine.
And sub 2Ks have a funny habit of leaving the range in more chunks than it arrived in.

Wow, I've owned mine since the federal ban as I remember paying out the ass for pre-ban 33 rounders for it. Many rounds through it, no pieces have fallen off it. Glad I got the exception to your rule. Oh no, wait. Buddy bought one two years ago, he has thousands of rounds through his. Still running like a top. O, so we got the only two good ones out there.

So in your world two guns constitutes some type of statistical proof?

It is more than you've offered, and it is not just me, everybody who chimed in after shared my opinion and experience. This is the largest gun board out there, if there was a huge problem with these rifles it would be well established here with numerous examples. I don't recall seeing that, so put up or shut up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one and love it.  Its not a highly refined gun but its great for its purpose.  Decent power due to the longer barrel, accurate at moderate ranges, extremely lightweight, and best of all it folds into such a small package that you can fit it into a laptop bag or small backpack.  I have probably put 2000 rounds through it and had no problems.  YMMV

The most common failure is cracked polymer arpundcthe chamber causing the gun to split in two.
Kel Tec is always happy to fix it and are usually very fast, but when 4 of every 5 guns a sell come back it's pretty clear the gun sucks.
I wish with all my heart kel Tec didn't suck, if for no other reason than I'd like to get a break from pissed off customers with broken subs or pmr30s.
They do have good ideas and in time someone like Diomandback will start making sub 2K type rifles that don't suck

Hmmmmm, don't see anybody in this thread who owns one sharing that experience... curious... major statistical anomaly if 80% are turds.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont care how big the gun board is
I have driven to Kel Tec myself to have customers guns fixed/replaced.
How many members of this great big gun board have stood in Kel Tec's receiving and seen the 100s of broken guns there?
But if it makes you guys feel better to shoot the messenger go ahead, I can take it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I supervise shooters all day and see 100s of guns of every type you can imagine.
And sub 2Ks have a funny habit of leaving the range in more chunks than it arrived in.

Wow, I've owned mine since the federal ban as I remember paying out the ass for pre-ban 33 rounders for it. Many rounds through it, no pieces have fallen off it. Glad I got the exception to your rule. Oh no, wait. Buddy bought one two years ago, he has thousands of rounds through his. Still running like a top. O, so we got the only two good ones out there.

Make that 4

My friend and I have both had ours for about 3 years now and never had issues with them

Would say they both have a good couple thousand rounds through them

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  4 out of 5 guns come back for repair?  Is that so?  The number of happy owners in this thread must be an anomaly, yeah?

You're just trying to discredit KelTec because you don't like them.  That's understandable.  They do different things and that makes you uncomfortable.

Unless you have factory numbers to back up your claims (which you don't) then you should stop spouting off such random nonsense.

(By the way, your entire argument is flawed.  You claim that folks who have personal anecdotal experience can't make claims about the reliability of Keltec Sub2000s yet turn around and in the same breath make personal anecdotal claims and expect us to believe them because *you've* seen it.  You can't have it both ways - which is it?)

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#7]

love mine  need buffer tube cover yet
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a very good price.  $329 is a more typical price I see, with reasonable shops being $300 even.

I enjoy mine.  Easy to shoot even without hearing protection since the barrel is so much longer than a pistol barrel- makes it significantly quieter.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They sub-2000 is not a combat weapon.

I am sure after enough use, there will be issues. simply because the barrel is mounted in plastic.

However for occasional plinking, and carriage for a self defense situation that is not sustained because LE is available, it fits a niche.

If SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens, I'm not grabbing my Sub-200 and nobody deploys with these things.

But having it handy in your truck or computer case while taking the same ammo and mags as your everyday carry can come in handy in certain situations, as remote in possibility as they may be.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Pics of exploded/cracked guns please.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's a hell of a price! Purchased online or an actual store? I've been wanting the .40 version something fierce.

That was the LE discount price at a gun shop in Cocoa Beach, FL
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pics of exploded/cracked guns please.

I've only seen it with the .40.  It had less than 50 rounds through it.  I had a 9mm that was fun, but that's all it was.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's better than zero, which is what you've provided.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Thinking about going in tuesday and trading my 442 for a .40 thats takes glock mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#15]
You people are pathetic.....

Like I'm going to ask a customer who's gun just split in half if I can post pics if his misfortune.
That will go over about as well as telling a bunch of Internet comandos a gun they like sucks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's better than zero, which is what you've provided.

I've lived above a gunshop for a few years now, and I see every day what gets brought back, sent in, etc.  Kel Tec is far and away the most troublesome brand they sell.  They also don't sell nearly as many of those as they do Hi Point carbines, AR's, AK's, JRC's, etc.  However, I see sub 2k's come back with pieces missing, blown in two, etc. all the time.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Like I'm going to ask a customer who's gun just split in half if I can post pics if his misfortune.
That will go over about as well as telling a bunch of Internet comandos a gun they like sucks.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, in fact it would tell me that you're surprised at my misfortune and that you didn't knowingly sell me a shitty product.  These internet commandos are scathingly critical of anything that doesn't work and will start threads at the very first hint of a shitty product.  There have been multiple threads on the Sub2000 and I've never heard any negative comments.  

I have a friend who works in the firearms industry who is privy to sensitive information.  He once made a statement that prompted an argument that he couldn't finish because he couldn't disclose what would win the argument.  So he had to just learn to STFU about it.

"Pics or it didn't happen."
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#18]
That's just it, it makes no difference if you believe me, it happens.
Test it out some tome.
Believe with all your heart that you can fly them jump off something tall.
If you can report back what happens.

This will demonstrate the lack of linkage between what you believe and what is.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]
My best friend and his brother both have had the .40 glock mag versions for about 3years, my uncle has had the 9mm glock mag version for 10years. All have been pretty reliable the 9mm eats mostly gunshow reloads and the .40's use crappy aftermarket mags, they all keep on working.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Really, my buddy owns a couple of shops. If any rifle came in with such a catastrophic failure we would insist on taking photos to document the condition BEFORE it was sent in for warranty work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Great price!  I paid $299 a couple of years ago.  Mine takes G22 mags, and I don't see myself letting it go for a long time.  As a matter of fact, I traded for a G22 to put with it in a get-home-bag.

Work on the sear and hammer, and an aluminum trigger mfg. by a guy on KTOG, and it has a pretty light, crisp trigger.  Re-assembly is a pain the first time, but becomes incredibly easy with practice.

Is it a 600yd sniper? of course not.  but, could I make a BG dump in his drawers across the living room?  absolutely.  I would trust this rifle, as I don't know how many rds i've put through it, and it has never had a  hiccup.  The only other gun of mine with that record is a CZ-P01, and to my knowledge KT doesn't make one that accepts CZ mags, or that'd be sweet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Test it out some tome.

A quick Google search on reviews from owners seems to indicate that you're the only one having any, much less this much, trouble with these guns.

Weird, huh?

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So, what other sub $300 folding pistol caliber rifle would you recommend? Oh wait, there aren't any.

Yes, it's cheap. Yes, it's plastic. Yes, the trigger's bad. Yes,  the sights suck. Yes, it's a Kel Tec. But for what it is, a sub $300 folding pistol caliber rifle, it's great.

If you are ever in Central Texas, come out to our carbine matches with an iron sighted carbine. I'll spank you with my SUB 2000.  No anecdotes, no stories of boxes of broken rifles, just match scores.

Gringop
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what other sub $300 folding pistol caliber rifle would you recommend? Oh wait, there aren't any.

Yes, it's cheap. Yes, it's plastic. Yes, the trigger's bad. Yes,  the sights suck. Yes, it's a Kel Tec. But for what it is, a sub $300 folding pistol caliber rifle, it's great.

If you are ever in Central Texas, come out to our carbine matches with an iron sighted carbine. I'll spank you with my SUB 2000.  No anecdotes, no stories of boxes of broken rifles, just match scores.

Gringop

Can I bring MY Sub2000 and shoot up YOUR ammo?

I'd come to shoot up someone else's ammo no matter what the score of any shoot.

ETA: My Sub2000 is surprisingly accurate and I regularly make shots that I myself think unlikely with that gun. But I'd still happily shoot up YOUR ammo with it!
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#25]
A glock 34 and sub 2000 (in glock flavor) some 33rd mags  and 17 rds mags
in a bug out bag sounds like the perfect set up.

sub 2K have a cult following. They are excellent rifles for the money. More fun than any other carbines out there for double the price.
Shoot out the barrel.. so what ... Keltec will replace it under warranty. I wished the RFB or PMR 30 was perfected as such.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one in .40, and I love it. I have not had any issues with mine at all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gringop

Your right!
If its the only one on the market its automatically good.

Are all people from central TX this smart?

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Test it out some tome.

A quick Google search on reviews from owners seems to indicate that you're the only one having any, much less this much, trouble with these guns.

Weird, huh?

You give credence to what you see on the net (selectively)
I don't have that problem.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, my buddy owns a couple of shops. If any rifle came in with such a catastrophic failure we would insist on taking photos to document the condition BEFORE it was sent in for warranty work.

I didn't say we did not take any pics.
I'm just not plastering them all over the net to prove a point to a bunch of yahoos who got butthurt.
Honestly, and you might want to sit down for this, what you think doesn't matter.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#30]
All the bullshit above aside (and returning to the OP's original question), yes, the tube cover is a good idea in my book.  Anything to make that little rifle more comfortable to shoot is a good idea.  I don't love mine, but I do find it fits a purpose unlike anything else I have found.  

And no, I haven't had any problems with mine although I don't really enjoy shooting it too much because of the sights.  I would still never sell it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just not plastering them all over the net to prove a point to a bunch of yahoos who got butthurt.
Honestly, and you might want to sit down for this, what you think doesn't matter.

And since you are standing here completely discredited by everybody who actually has personal experience (with the exception of Bushy Lover), you have no proof, you claim you have photos but won't share them... why, because photos of a gun will tell us who your customers are or embarrass them... I'd say the consensus is what you think doesn't fucking matter.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like your the one who is butthurt. So far you have called people who have responded to your post and disagreed with you as "pathetic" and "butthurt". Wish I knew the name of your shop so that I could make sure not to give you business and advise my friends the same. If this is how you deal with folks in real life I'm surprised you are still in business.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a old one that takes the SW59 mags and have had no problems, I shoot the shit out of this gun with lots of cheap steel cased ammo.
It has been very accurate also.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I have a old one that takes the SW59 mags and have had no problems, I shoot the shit out of this gun with lots of cheap steel cased ammo.

It has been very accurate also.

That version is pretty popular around here because so many people have P11's and such.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If what everyone thinks doesn't matter, then why the hell are you replying to them? I've got one of the earliest Sub2000's and have fired thousands of rounds through it and aside from the time I stupidly pulled the trigger while the bolt group was out, I've never had a single problem with the gun whatsoever. It seems that my experience with the gun conforms with the consensus I'm seeing here.  

Post the pics or you're full of shit. End. Of. Story. If I was making wild claims about a rifle being total and utter crap, and had pictures to prove that my experience was the norm, I'd have them posted on every forum across the internet, and I certainly wouldn't balk at the thought of posting them here. Furthermore, if what you're reporting is true, one could easily find all kinds of pictures across the internet documenting Sub 2000 failures/KB's, etc and the fact is that those are just not there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Damn good price.

I'll say. The best I've ever seen at Dallas area gun shows is around $325.00 or so.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If what everyone thinks doesn't matter, then why the hell are you replying to them? I've got one of the earliest Sub2000's and have fired thousands of rounds through it and aside from the time I stupidly pulled the trigger while the bolt group was out, I've never had a single problem with the gun whatsoever. It seems that my experience with the gun conforms with the consensus I'm seeing here.  

Post the pics or you're full of shit. End. Of. Story. If I was making wild claims about a rifle being total and utter crap, and had pictures to prove that my experience was the norm, I'd have them posted on every forum across the internet, and I certainly wouldn't balk at the thought of posting them here. Furthermore, if what you're reporting is true, one could easily find all kinds of pictures across the internet documenting Sub 2000 failures/KB's, etc and the fact is that those are just not there.

I've been there

boy was that a bitch to get the hammer back in place haha

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Guessing you're full of shit, seeing as EVERY guy here likes theirs.

But that's just a guess.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the .40 Glock magwell Sub2k, and really like it.  No problems.

It's a bit over a year old.  I installed the buffer cylinder, bolt tube cover, and operating handle cover from Tacticoolproducts on it so far.  Great little carbine that rides in the back of my SUV in a laptop bag.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I have sold well over 100 of them

both 9 and 40 both Glock and Beretta mag guns

yet to have any major failures
just normal minor stuff that happens with about any weapon you sell a fair volume of
No really a kel Tec fan though

Had a SU-16 blow the fuck up once

and about 95% of  P-32s we sold came back

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

just normal minor stuff that happens with about any weapon you sell a fair volume of

Thats odd with the P32. I have one and it works great. Only problem I ever recall having was with some wolf 70gr HP. Was soo weak it wouldn't cycle the action.

Also have a sub 2k 9mm glock version with several hundred rounds through it. Had a few issues the first 200rds or so with some 124gr ammo but now it runs fine even with cheap Korean mags.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Test it out some tome.

Weird, huh?

You give credence to what you see on the net (selectively)
I don't have that problem.

Riiiiight. Based on your posts in this thread I'd have to say that you're just another "internet expert" who got called out and came up lacking.

Back under your bridge, TROLL.

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Test it out some tome.

Many rounds down the tube of mine with 0 issues. I follow these weapons on the net and I've never heard of the gun splitting into unless Bubba had messed with it. That said it does have one glaring wart....The FS unit.

I will be the first to say the front sight unit sucks ass and that is why I replaced it with a AK FS. In fact when I was salvaging the parts the cheap-ass orange plastic blade had cracked and I had never touched it. I assume the mere act of shooting it caused the blade to crack.

There is some folks that will never say anything bad about what they bought as they don't want to seem the rube and there are others like on the KTOG site that got all bent out of shape when I mentioned that the S2K's FS was a abomination and ruined a otherwise sound weapon and that Kel-Tec did their customers a disservice by going so cheap in a area that should be problem free.

At the very least the FS blade should be replaced by making one of metal and the best solution IMHO is a High Point or AK FS unit replacement. After the FS replacement I could not be more pleased with the weapon.

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Test it out some tome.

Many rounds down the tube of mine with 0 issues. I follow these weapons on the net and I've never heard of the gun splitting into unless Bubba had messed with it. That said it does have one glaring wart....The FS unit.

I will be the first to say the front sight unit sucks ass and that is why I replaced it with a AK FS. In fact when I was salvaging the parts the cheap-ass orange plastic blade had cracked and I had never touched it. I assume the mere act of shooting it caused the blade to crack.

There is some folks that will never say anything bad about what they bought as they don't want to seem the rube and there are others like on the KTOG site that got all bent out of shape when I mentioned that the S2K's FS was a abomination and ruined a otherwise sound weapon and that Kel-Tec did their customers a disservice by going so cheap in a area that should be problem free.

At the very least the FS blade should be replaced by making one of metal and the best solution IMHO is a High Point or AK FS unit replacement. After the FS replacement I could not be more pleased with the weapon.

Just take a hacksaw to a piece of sheet metal and cut it out/shape it with a dremel.

paint black.

win.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats odd with the P32. I have one and it works great. Only problem I ever recall having was with some wolf 70gr HP. Was soo weak it wouldn't cycle the action.
Also have a sub 2k 9mm glock version with several hundred rounds through it. Had a few issues the first 200rds or so with some 124gr ammo but now it runs fine even with cheap Korean mags.
It was a few years ago , the vast majority of the problems were the trigger return springs break
Very rarely sell a P32 nowadays with 3ATs available

never seen it on the .380s so I am assuming they got whatever was wrong ironed out

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top