Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2011 6:01:18 PM EDT
From being a kid?

Dad used to take me to the Ben Franklin and use the big tube tester to test our TV tubes and buy new ones. You found the right slot, plugged it in, and pressed the test button....and hoped it glowed.

He let me help change the motor on out VW beetle when I was pretty young.

Reloading at the bench in the garage with a old beam scale, when I was just old enough to reach the press handle. The hoppes #9 made me sick I was out there so long. I remember the desire to shoot the .357 mag or the .50 and could not wait to grow up to shoot them. It was worth the wait.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
GI Joe, Transformers, leaded gas, and Coke in big glass bottles.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

ALL of those apply to me too! But it was RC cola!
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Star Wars people...we called them that before the 'action figure' crap started...and they were dolls...I played house mostly with mine, coke and pepsi in big 16 oz. returnable bottles, Little House on the prarie on TV along with 'eight is enough', 'The Waltons' metal lunchboxes, toy guns that looked like real guns, comic books, alba 77 milkshake mix, the blizzard of 78 while living in Ohio, Summer days spent playing in fields and exploring old and abandoned farms and houses.....I could go on and on ...
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Reagan, was like a god.  The Soviets were the enemy.  And the world could go up in a nuclear fireball at any time.  I also remember there being less people here where I live.  I guess there has been too much fucking going on.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
4 years old. Parents insisted I play with the neighbor kids.

I didn't have the vocabulary to explain that I didn't want to because they were ignorant, immoral white trash.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Dad's old Chevy.  Driving up the canyon and him letting me sit in his
lap and steer and we drove back down.  Whenever I hear Mel Tillis,
George Straight or Hank Williams, it reminds me of riding around with my
Dad.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This! And battery operated squirt guns (Entertech?). I loved those freaking things.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This! And battery operated squirt guns (Entertech?). I loved those freaking things.

Yup. I remember having 1:1 scale squirt guns that looked exactly like a TEC-9 and UZI except for color. All you had to do was spray paint them black and they'd look like the genuine thing.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
.25 cent a gallon gas for leaded.
Watching the Apollo11 moon landing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
First thing I can ever remember was a visit to Boston when I was three.  I can barely remember seeing the Red Sox and visiting a rocky beach there.

I can remember tuning in expecting to see the '89 World Series and seeing the footage of the earthquake.  I remember the '91, '92, and '93 baseball postseasons vividly - and how baseball dropped off of TV after the '94 strike.

I remember the reporting from Kuwait, Iraq, and Israel in the time before and during Desert Storm - the green footage, the patriot missiles shooting down SCUDs, the missiles hitting Tel Aviv.  I remember feeling vaguely confused and wrong for thinking it was all enormously exciting and that such things really should happen more often.

I remember how, when I was very little, before starting school, Saturday and Sunday were distinguished not because the days were different for me, but because my dad was home.  We'd play Beethoven's Fifth and hit balloons around the living room, or play board games.

I remember our old green-screen computer, and how mysterious it seemed, with all the keystrokes that had to be remembered, and the floppy discs as big as my hand.

I remember family vacations - trips south or east to see family, usually during the fall, and how much fun it was to listen to college football on the radio, and how (when we were passing through Tuscaloosa) we would always cheer for whatever seemed needful to make the game last until we'd gotten through town and wouldn't be stuck in gameday traffic.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My childhood was awesome.

We used to go rafting & hiking a lot, catching snakes & crawfish, riding bikes, fireworks, climbing trees, and jumping off the rocks into the river or quarry by the house. My dad was a drunk so he used to let me skip school a lot. We’d either hang out at the pool all day or go driving around the mountains together.

I miss everything about the 80's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]

I remember my first love.

Olivia Newton John

I must have watched this crappy movie 5 or 6 times. Give me a break, I was 8 yrs old.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Running to the corner store on my bike to get Dad a pack of Apple Jack a few times a week and I got to keep the 21cents change from the dollar

ice fishing

shooting woodchucks

driving the wheel horse tractor around the range for hours at a time

transformers - back to the future - goonies - dukes of hazzard -

space shuttle Challenger -

Beirut (although I didn't understand at the time )  

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Legos, super soaker 50 wars, baseball in the street. The police used to come around and give away baseball cards. Walking 8 blocks by myself to elementary school.

I also remember helping my dad change an engine, put a new 4.6L short block in the '85 Monte Carlo at 100k-ish and I was the tool caddy
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember watching the funeral procession for JFK, drills in school for nuclear war,(head down in the tucked position in the hallway) the Vietnam War on TV every evening news, the moon landing in black & white.  The newsman saying the footprints were 1/8" in the dust and my mother saying "Did they say he sunk 8 feet"  We all laughed.  I remember getting our first color TV.  First show I watched was Tarzan with Ron Ely, couldn't believe how green the jungle was.  Remember getting our first telephone.  Yes,I'm old you whipper snappers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember being glued to the TV news every night in hopes that I might see my uncle who was  a soldier. I remember the adults telling me he was somewhere called Vietnam and it was a long way from our house. He made it back OK, but my mom said I continued to watch the news every night for months after he got home.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
3 Cent stamps.
Lying on the rear window shelf of the Ford we had.
Duck and cover drills.
Holding the light for my Dad while he worked on the car.  Helping him work on the cars.
Hunting, fishing, and canoeing with my Dad.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember whem all the pictures in the newspaper were black and white. And much more before that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Major Mat Mason, G. I. Joe....

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Um. First things I remember? Being in HI and going down to the docks to see the subs. Touring the Big E. That was pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#22]
2.00 filled up the Beetle.
Green Stamps store. Had the first autoopening door I ever walked through.
Test pattern and National Anthem on TV at 12midnight signoff. Also had the white dot on it that faded to black when you turned it off.
One of the first skateboards. Red wooden base with metal skate wheels like on girls roller skates.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Rocks. And if we were lucky, a little sand.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Indian Gum
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This, and I remember learning how to hold the bottle just right out the truck window to make it howl, and you through the bottle straight out, not forward...  CLANNNGGG!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Ike as president.

Commando Cody - Sky King- Stickem Caps

Oh, crap.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Penny candy at the corner grocery.  Stealing the older brother's coin collection to buy lots of that penny candy.    RC Cola and Nehi in every color of the rainbow, in one of those big horizontal coolers with a water bath.  Moon pies for a nickle.  

Black & white television, we got two channels.  Big deal when we got a third channel in town.  The remote control was our father telling us to get up and change the channels.  And yeah, the vacuum tubes and tube testers at the store.  Mighty Mouse (the original), Tom Terrific, and Captain Kangaroo.

I was in third grade when JFK was killed.  The school principal came on the PA, announcing that Kennedy had been assassinated, and school was over for the day.  We didn't know what "assassinated" meant, but knew that it was bad.

The old man bought one of those Mercurys that had the roll down rear window.  We'd go for Sunday drives hanging out the back.  Before that he had a Plymouth with a push button transmission.  On some of those Sunday drives we'd visit relatives in the country, who had no electricity.  Refrigeration for them was a root cellar.  I remember some places down in the sticks that had those old fashioned crank phones like on the Beverly Hillbillies or Ma and Pa Kettle.  We had rotary phones, of course, with party lines.  Our phone number started with letters, not numbers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember being afraid of rainstorms. I would literally miss school because of rainstorms - I'd be at the bus stop and say screw this and run home, lol. And I know exactly what my problem was. My mom says when I was about 3 my uncle took me to see the wizard of oz, and the tornado scene scared the living shit out of me. To this day I have bad dreams all the time about huge tornados all over the place and I'm frantically trying to find shelter.

Also, being a kid in the 70s I think I enjoyed rock at it's finest. The soundtrack of my youth puts to shame all this trendy bullshit these kids have now, to say the very least.

I remember playing my dad's guitar when I was 5, but I don't remember learning to play what I was playing. I just knew what the original song sounded like, so I played it. Been playing ever since.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Game Boy Color, the New Beetle, Bill Clinton
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars

Sears Tough Skins

Sticking toothpicks in the ice cube tray full of kool aid

My first dip of Skoal

Getting my ass beat with half a hula hoop

Flexible Flyer runner sleds

Silly Putty imprinted with the ink from the funny paper

Lite Brite

Burning stuff with a magnifying glass

Fishing with Grandpas cane pole

My first shotgun....a 20ga Savage single shot

BB gun wars

Heading for the house after dark when we heard dad whistle

Mom beating me for refusing to wear that stupid yellow rain slicker and hat and buckle up boots when it rained.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Penny candy at the corner grocery.  Stealing the older brother's coin collection to buy lots of that penny candy.    RC Cola and Nehi in every color of the rainbow, in one of those big horizontal coolers with a water bath.  Moon pies for a nickle.  

Black & white television, we got two channels.  Big deal when we got a third channel in town.  The remote control was our father telling us to get up and change the channels.  And yeah, the vacuum tubes and tube testers at the store.  Mighty Mouse (the original), Tom Terrific, and Captain Kangaroo.

I was in third grade when JFK was killed.  The school principal came on the PA, announcing that Kennedy had been assassinated, and school was over for the day.  We didn't know what "assassinated" meant, but knew that it was bad.

Funny thing is I experienced a bunch of those but I am much younger.  I was born in '74.  I lived up in the sticks so we only got one channel, ABC.  We had an old vacuum tube black and white TV, which was fine since the only kids show was in black and white, the Little Rascals.  Old Mrs Reece ran the store down the road and had penny candy and the water filled soda cooler with Nehi.  It was a one room store with a single light bulb hanging in the middle of the room.  Stuff like crackers and cereal would be on shelves high up on the wall and she'd knock the stuff down with a broom handle and catch it.  I'd ride my bike down the road to her store and have log trucks sail by and it would feel like it would blow me off the shoulder.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#32]
4 channels on TV and thats all you got , CBS , ABC, NBC and PBS .

Toys

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Apollo 11 Moon landing

Walt Disney World tickets ("E" ticket was used for the best attractions)

Watergate

Gas Prices, my dad told me "we will be out of gas long before your 16 and can drive"....right up there with "...you might work on the Moon"

The Little Rascals on TV in the morning before school

My mom refusing to let me see "Jaws" and my teenage cousin taking me to see it...

Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Chariot of the Gods.....

My parents upset over Jimmy Carter giving away the Panama Canal, I remember they sent a "Telegraph" to the White House.

As a kid, hearing all the adults talking about how America was doomed, horrible economy, high unemployment.....(always the same)

HBO––to turn it on you had to have a special black box with a nob.  It was a huge deal when cable brought 12 channels on your TV!!!!

TRS-80 color computer

We moved around a lot (military)

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Ayds diet candy, Big Jim action figure and camper.  Space 1999 replica space ship.  Real steel erector sets with motors.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#35]
That my dad was a lazy piece of shit who used religion as a reason to keep us in poverty because he was a master of interpreting the bible to explain away his actions. That if I hadn't had a strong mother I would probably be a welfare sucking leech on society instead of a 75 hour a week successful blue collar champion of the American dream!

I had a shit childhood
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Black-n-white television.

Tubes.

$0.05 and $0.10 candy bars.

Reagan as governor.

California before the liberals moved here.

Damn, you are a relic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Waking up early on Saturday mornings so that we could go downstairs and watch cartoons.

That lasted until about 11AM and then they were done.  You'd have to wait another week to see more.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Climbing trees, trading baseball cards, slurpees, vinyl bench seats in cars that would burn the shit out of your legs in the summer, having to turn a crank to get the windows to go down in the car, weekends at the Flea Market looking at really cool old junk, wanting to learn to play the guitar so I could be just like Bon Jovi and Poison, America hating The Russians, Rocky, The Cosby Show, Perfect Strangers, He-Man and the Master of the Universe, Atari, Pee-Wee Herman being clean family entertainment, not being allowed to watch Miami Vice, church every Wednesday and twice on Sunday, getting spanked...aLOT!

ETA - Thriller, Saturday Afternoon B Movies on Channel 50 in Detroit...first they'd show a horror movie, then they'd show a western, then an action movie, bicycle being my only means of transportation (never getting a ride anywhere, unless it was somewhere you didn't want to go), collecting pop cans to turn in for money (10 cent refund on pop cans in Michigan), metal roller skates that you tied to the bottom of your shoes, Orange Pushups, Faygo Soda (Rock-n-Rye and Red Pop being my favorites) hand me down clothes (I used to get free clothes from all kinds of people and my mom and grandma would hem the the pants for me).

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#40]
My dad's motorcycle.  He was one of two people in a town of 6000 that had a Harley.  He couldn't stand it when everyone and their brother starting getting them in the late 80-90's so he switched to BMW.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I miss the simpler times.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Seeing Star Wars in the theater
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember the Ultimate Soldier action figures made by 21st century toys but this thread caused me to google them and find out they are no longer made:(
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Seeing Star Wars in the theater

top gun
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember now

I remember how it started

I can't remember yesterday

I just remember doing what they told me

Told me

Told me

Told me
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Duck and cover drills at school.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I remember now

I remember how it started

I can't remember yesterday

I just remember doing what they told me

Told me

Told me

Told me

IMO, the best concept album ever except for maybe 2112.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top