Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2011 8:34:47 AM EDT
I've been experimenting with small slivers of pecan wood mixed in with my charcoal.  Lately I've been letting the charcoal ash over and mellow out, then I throw a small handful of pecan in the middle.  As  the wood starts to smoke, I put the meat on and close the grill.  I then try to keep the wood from flaming up by adjusting the vents on the grill.  I do not soak the pecan beforehand.

Anyone else grill with charcoal and use wood strictly for flavoring?
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been experimenting with small slivers of pecan wood mixed in with my charcoal.  Lately I've been letting the charcoal ash over and mellow out, then I throw a small handful of pecan in the middle.  As  the wood starts to smoke, I put the meat on and close the grill.  I then try to keep the wood from flaming up by adjusting the vents on the grill.  I do not soak the pecan beforehand.

Anybody that owns a smoker does.

soaking them prevents fires, otherwise it's up to the person doing the cooking.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I use mesquite and Hickory but I soak the chips in water first. I used to work at a BBQ joint and we had logs of Hickory we used in the smoker. If I didn't soak the wood then I would get a large fire and the meat would be charred.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about grilling.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I use soaked wood chips either on the fire or in a smoker box with my Weber. However, I use chunk charcoal instead of briquettes, so I've got a lot of good smoky flavor to start with.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about grilling.

My bad.  At that point it depends on what you're grilling and if the eaters like smoke flavor.  I've been known to throw an aluminum foil pack full of wet hickory chips on the hot coals when grilling ribeyes.

The same method works for gas grills.  Just put the "pouch" on the grilling surface before putting your meat on the grill.  Gives the chips time to start smoking.

ETA: I grill on an XL Big Green Egg and use lump hardwood charcoal which usually brings enough smoke flavor to the food without using extra chips.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have some brisket smoking on some pecan right now.  Soak for smoke, just use chips or pieces for grilling mixed in with charcoal.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I do almost every time I grill.

Wrapping chips in aluminum foil and poking a few holes in it keeps down the flare ups.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I do once in a while, mostly for chicken.   I prefer to use soaked chips when I do.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I do that almost all the time when using my charcoal Weber kettle.

I have also used the Kingford charcoal that has the hickory chips mixed inside the charcoal.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I do but I soak the chips a few hours before gilling.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I often throw a few chunks of mesquite in with the charcoal in my Weber kettle. I usually don't soak it, but closing the air vents a bit keeps it from flaming.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes I do.  I use either Hickory, Mesquite, or Apple wood chips.
I soak them in water for about an hour when I smoke OR when I grill.
If I don't soak them first they ignite and burn up way to quickly.
The only exception is if I'm grilling something that only needs a few minutes to cook, then I'll put them on dry.
Pretty much everyone needs to figure out his/her own grill to determine what works best for them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#14]
All the time! If i don't have time to soak them i put them on the very edge of the fire.

Link Posted: 5/17/2011 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I use them for smoking or grilling. Usually though if I'm smoking a good bit of stuff I'll use my smoker and fire the firebox with larger pieces of hickory, red oak, pecan, etc.

I have also found that grilling over hickory chunks works well too.  It takes a little longer to get started than charcoal, but has a better flavor.

You can also use the Kingsford hickory briquets, just throw a few on the grill right before you throw on the food (after the other briquets have gotten hot).  The hickory infused briquets will smoke just about as good as the wood chips will.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a stick burner smoker, two gas grills, and two charcoal grills.

I have used wood chips on the charcoal grill. You used to could buy wood chips from the Jack Daniels oak barrels that they aged their whiskey in. It was awesome, just soak them for an hour and put them on the charcoal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a stick burner smoker, two gas grills, and two charcoal grills.

I have used wood chips on the charcoal grill. You used to could buy wood chips from the Jack Daniels oak barrels that they aged their whiskey in. It was awesome, just soak them for an hour and put them on the charcoal.

You still can!
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't use chips, but i use chunks every time i grill, I've got a standard weber, and use mesquite or hickory wood chunks, no soaking...just stack it up like charcoal and fire it up. I haven't used charcoal in a long time.

good smokage and great flavor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Also, someone* did some testing of soaking the wood chips. Any longer than an hour caused a more bitter flavor.

30 minute to an hour seemed to be about right.

*Can't remember the website.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top