Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/14/2011 4:39:04 PM EDT
Went to Sears for a set of craftsman deep offset wrenches, low and behold they are made China, asked the guy working that dept when this happened, he said they are replacing current USA made with China made, told him keep your Chinese crap, I can go to Harbor Freight for Chinese tools, when I buy the Craftsman name I expect quality USA made product. I went to another Sears and found the last set of USA made, so I purchased those.

Sears is making a mistake with this profit inducing idea, most tradesman will take notice, and I hope they do what I did and tell them to stick their Chinese crap up their ass !!

If I'm going to buy dollar store stuff I expect and accept made in china, but some items I will not accept made in china, don't care about it being made to spec, the Chinese will tell you anything, people have to get on board with this concept, just remember how the USA got to be so great, we are loosing it.

That's how I feel, you need not agree, call me an "old head" and ignorant about economics, but I've been around long enough to know better.

No profanity in thread titles, please. ~ JW777
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
+1

This business of switching to Chinese-made tools for the brand-name Craftsman is a big mistake on K-mart's part, and it will kill the brand.

I have cut my purchasing in that department by nearly 100%, and I used to be a pretty reliable, consistent customer. No more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Another one bites the dust.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
This comes up a lot, there was a big thread on it a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear you loud and clear. Craftsman has slowly been moving more of their manufacturing overseas. It is getting harder and harder to find good quality Made in America tools anymore
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
news flash, what the USA had, is all but gone already

f'n shame
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is getting harder and harder to find good quality Made in America tools anymore

Not really.... you just have to look harder.

-ZA
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I gave up on Craftsman a long time ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sears has been dead a long time they just haven't realized it .
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Better get used to it!

I find it funny that shit likes this surprises as many as it does.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Snap on's, Blue point brand is made in tawain or something and Matco's, Silver eagle is made.....in one of those commy contries.

To bad the commies can't build tools like they build their guns
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#11]
thats why I buy SK
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, Sears just lost a customer here. All of my tools are Craftsman, I hope none of them break any time soon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of my hand tools are Craftsman.  I purchased them years ago and I have been very happy with them.

2 years ago, I purchased some needle nosed pliers for use when I go fishing.  They were labeled "China" and "Craftsman".  The first time I used them was to close the gap in a lead sinker on my fishing line.  The lead was a little harder than I expected but obviously a lead alloy.  When I squeezed, the handles bent badly and never returned to their original position.

I returned them and demanded my money back.  What a disapointment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually, I bought some tools at Harbor Frieght the other day.  Some ball headed allen sockets.

Since much of Craftsman's tools are Chinese, you might as well go with the less expensive HF tools if you want inexpensive tools.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
1.  Welcome to 5 years ago

2.  Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it isn't equal to or superior to made in the USA.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
From what I have read, the more recent ones that were Made In The USA aren't all that great either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I try to avoid buying made in china tools unless its for a use once situation. So my question is who makes hand tools/sets that price wise are comparable to craftsman?
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
How are Kobalt tools?  Are they made in the US?
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Got what I thought was a nice Craftsman tool kit from Sears over Christmas, went to use the 1/2 drive ratchet and it broke the first time I tried to use it. And I wasn't even starting to pull hard on it.  So I took it back expecting to get a "new" ratchet, NOPE!!!!  I got a 10 year old refurb
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting you ask that, I was at Lowes and it seems they are switching from Taiwan and China to USA, what a twist !!!

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Not supprising.

Not much is made in the USA any more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
If Sears has switched to chinese manufacture, that's an ugly surprise.  they used Danaher Corp for most of their tools, and they were built in the USA. .Wonder what is going on in their supply chain.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#24]
What a damn shame
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Snap-on.

Stahlwille.

Hazet.

in that order.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow, Sears just lost a customer here. All of my tools are Craftsman, I hope none of them break any time soon.

That's the bullshit part of it for me , and a lot of other guys . . . . getting warranty parts or replacements any more will be having to settle for chi-com-crap .

Craftsman had some decent ratchets over the years , above and beyond their standard style that you get with the kits . Smooth , fine-tooth gear train and decent rugged/comfortable designs . But as the years went by , and Sears dropped different 'luxury' models , I've had to settle for the crude , rough action of their standard ratchets as replacements . Now even getting those replaced is a thing of the past.

Fuck these assholes and their better ideas ......a cheaper chi-com line couldn't be introduced to run alongside the current US-made stuff ?!?!?!?!?

I dunno about you guys , but I would have paid more to keep the brand made here . Lowes and Home Depots lines are junk for a professional work life , now I gotta find a truck in my travels around the US working
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know where I got them but my favorite pliers are Wilde tool Company, USA.  

Seriously, Craftsman tool quality in the USA has been nosediving for 15 years or better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

2.  Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it isn't equal to or superior to made in the USA.

Eh, that can go both ways.  However, what was once known as THE brand for the house, the truck, for everyone, is now effectively dead.  They were good, affordable, American made tools.  

God damnit, fixing the awfully produced shit I have to buy at the store with an American tool is gratifying.  It says we allow you to make our shit, but when we need something done right we do it ourselves.  Well now that's gone.  

I don't even own any Craftsman tools, Snap On buyer since I was 18, but the loss of that brand is like watching Remington go down the shitter.  Not the best, but they're an American fuckin icon.

Alcohol was injured before this post.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Alcohol was injured before this post.

What did you do, stab a can of PBR?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Where is Hilti made?  About to spend some $'s and refuse to allow these funds buy other than USA!  Screw craftsman!!!  Greed is killing this country.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#31]
From everything I've read over the past few years, the Evolve line (green packaging) has been China made shit with a cheaper price to reflect that, and the rest were still US made. Every Cafstman tool I've bought in the past year have been US made.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#32]
My local sears blows anyway, for the last few years they disappoint me every time I go in there.   They never have what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I work for Sears, trust me, their Craftsman tools are transitioning to China. Look at the packaging carefully. Also, I've posted this in every Craftsman tool thread for the past couple years, if you go in to replace a broken ratchet and they try to give you a refurbished ratchet, deny it and demand a new one. They have to give you a new ratchet, it's written into the warranty, they just don't want the consumer to know it. Although, in my personal opinion, their tool quality leaves a lot to be desired anymore, and I gladly shop elsewhere for my tools.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not the stuff I've been forced to buy being caught between a rock and a hard place.

Forget their allen wrenches , they are a joke.

Their plier's jaws are soft , their wire-cutter part dont hold up , the needle-nosed models are especially useless for anything beyond pulling a cotter pin .

Their ratchets are weak and easily stripped , it almost seems that the gear part on the 1/4" one I just bought was machined off center.

I havent tried any of their sockets yet , but I'd imagine the plating on the inside of their hex is poorly done as I've seen on so many other chi-com sockets over the years . What's almost a given as the quality of steel drops alongside the prices , is the manufacturers having to increase the wall thickness to handle the torque .......leaving you less room to get at certain fasteners.

The tips on their screwdrivers are too soft .....at least the # 2 Phillips was that I threw away about a month ago.

The wrenches used to be comparable to Craftsman of old , but I heard they got cheaper .

Back in the early 90's , you could take anything Craftsman to a Lowes , and they would swap you even for the comparable Kobalt equivalent . It was when Sears was starting to drop their fancy lines and trim fat I guess ....their quality was just starting to drop . Kobalt stuff was rumored to be made in the same plants as Craftsman , and their were more Lowes around so it was easier to get a replacement .

That didnt last long

I had a set of Kobalt screwdrivers that I had traded a set of Craftsman's standard ( red and blue handle )stuff for ( like 3 or 4 of them ) . I dunno if you guys remember the Craftsman pro-line , with clear and blue handles ( no red )and grit blasted tips , but the old Kobalt stuff looked like them  ......not so much any more .  Craftsman stopped making the pro-stuff and Kobalt changed to the cheap stuff you see now.

This country is going right to hell
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting you ask that, I was at Lowes and it seems they are switching from Taiwan and China to USA, what a twist !!!

Hmmmmm.......I hadnt noticed that It'd sure be nice .
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

If Sears has switched to chinese manufacture, that's an ugly surprise.  they used Danaher Corp for most of their tools, and they were built in the USA. .Wonder what is going on in their supply chain.

Danaher uses Fluke Shilu Instruments of Beijing and Shanghai.

You might know them by their other names:

GearWrench

Matco

Armstrong

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's cool, I like the Kobalt stuff.

I also like the Husky stuff at Home Depot.

Craftsman going Chinese sucks.

I'm not going to pay their prices over Kobalt, Husky,

or for some things even Harbor Freight.

Chinese is Chinese, not paying any premiums for it.

Glad that I have a full set of USA Craftsman,

but this does indeed kill the brand for me.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#40]
OP........If you want a good set of deep offset box wrenches, get Stahlwille; Made in Germany. I bought mine from this place:

Samstag sales
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#41]
In before the topic change.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#42]
It's all good.

The economy and standard of living of the average American is sliding down the crapper.

But it's all good.

American made tools replaced with Chinese crap.

But it's all good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Irony...

Everyone bitching about this is typing on computers that are made nowhere near the US or on mobile phones/devices made in Asia.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm only surprised that they weren't already made in China.  I'm so sick of this shit that I don't even know what to say about it anymore.  Pretty soon our children will be made in China.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#46]
It took me forever to find a US made hammer.  Got an Estwing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Irony...

Everyone bitching about this is typing on computers that are made nowhere near the US or on mobile phones/devices made in Asia.

True unfortunately.

I believe that in 1967; around 90% of the entire world's electronics was made here in the U.S.

But it's all good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm only surprised that they weren't already made in China.  I'm so sick of this shit that I don't even know what to say about it anymore.  Pretty soon our children will be made in China.

No.

They will be made in Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#49]
"ALL YOUR U.S. ARE BELONG TO US...!!!"  

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#50]
The only reason I ever go to Sears was for Craftsman tools.  I guess I won't be buying much there now.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top