Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2011 5:28:45 AM EDT
I need to get rid of about 1 gallon of gas which is mixed with oil for the weedeater.  It has ethanol in it, and I don't want to use it any longer in my small engines.  I just found a local gas station that has ethanol free gas that I will be using.

I live in a city, so I can't make a bonfire with it. I won't pour it on the anthills, and I won't spray it on the poison ivy. All of my neighbors are nice, so I don't need a molitov cocktail for them.  Any responsible ideas?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Hazardous waste disposal day?  

Give it to somebody?  I'd use it.  Really, you should probably just use it and be done with it.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
mix it in with waste oil and take it to a recycler drop off.  There it will be mixed with over a hundred gallons of waste oil and it won't significantly raise the flash point of the waste oil

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Find someone with an old tractor.

Many of them will burn anything.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Burn it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]
mix it in slowly with your regular gas in your vehicle –– say a pint every fill up

It won't hurt anything...
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
mix it in with waste oil and take it to a recycler drop off.  There it will be mixed with over a hundred gallons of waste oil and it won't significantly raise the flash point of the waste oil

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Wrap small peices of cloth around the tip of an arrow.  Soak the tips in the gas.  Light them with a match and shoot them into the sky.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Pour it on stubborn weeds...
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Use it as a solvent for cleaning things.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you tried huffing it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wrap small peices of cloth around the tip of an arrow.  Soak the tips in the gas.  Light them with a match and shoot them into the sky.

Win
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:44:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but what happens if EVERYONE does that?  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Win

On my signal, unleash hell.

HAFSEETAH, FOOTAH HOODAH!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Metal coffee can and let it evaporate.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Beat me to it.  I was going to suggest an oil drain pan to get the maximum surface area.  Set it out and forget about it until there's nothing left in the container but a dry crust on the bottom.  Shelter it from rain, dogs, kids, etc.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Just pour it in the gas tank of your car.............
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Use it like round up , pour it on grass you want dead......
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.

One gallon of old gas with mix in it won't do anything. If it makes you feel better fill up your tank first.

Hell I'll give you $1.00 for it .
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Pour it on weeds you freakin' hippie
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't be putting any oil in the gas tank of my fuel-injected car, even if it's only a pint in 15 gallons.  Maybe if it was an old carbureted truck though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Pour it on weeds, let it evaporate or take it to local fire station and they will dispose of it for you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pour it on weeds, let it evaporate or take it to local fire station and they will dispose of it for you.

Local FDs are not equipped for hazmat disposal, despite what the local news might tell you.  They would most likely: a) burn it out back; b) put it in one of their own vehicles; or c) just let it evaporate.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#24]
so you dont want to use it because it has ethenal in it? Just use it in your weedwacker and be done with it. Why make life difficult? Next time you fill up your tank get enthanol free gas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you have an MSR XGK stove by any chance?  Fill it up a few times and burn it in a controlled way.

Might burn in a Coleman type stove, I'm not sure.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Molotov cocktails?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Just put it your car/ truck.  The 2 ounces of oil isn't shit compaired to the 15 or more gallons or gas on the tank.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Match
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

One gallon of old gas with mix in it won't do anything. If it makes you feel better fill up your tank first.

Be careful doing that, it cost me a set of injectors in my Ford Ranger last year.  I'll never do it again that's for sure.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
so you dont want to use it because it has ethenal in it? Just use it in your weedwacker and be done with it. Why make life difficult? Next time you fill up your tank get enthanol free gas.

But it's my brand new weedwacker. And I'm very anal about things.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Pour it on your driveway, will evaporate in no time; spray area with hose when done.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#32]
uh why not just use it up in the weed eater ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat me to it.  I was going to suggest an oil drain pan to get the maximum surface area.  Set it out and forget about it until there's nothing left in the container but a dry crust on the bottom.  Shelter it from rain, dogs, kids, etc.

This.  I end up doing this every spring because I invariably leave a little gas to rot all winter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd put it in a motorcycle.  Mine are all carb models.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Pour it on an anthill and "accidentally" drop a match on it
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Be careful doing that, it cost me a set of injectors in my Ford Ranger last year.  I'll never do it again that's for sure.

Sorry, I don't buy that.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Sorry, I don't buy that.

I don't care if you buy it or not...it happened.  The approximately 2 gallons of old gas from a plastic gas can caused severe injector problems in my 98 Ranger about five miles from adding it.  I was barely able to limp it back to my house when it happened.  My mechanic drained the gas tank and flushed the fuel system first but that didn't fix it, finally a new set of injectors fixed the problem.  

I'm sure it was gas in that can, but I have no idea how old it was.  It could have been pure varnish for all I know

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Pour it on the ground.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Evaporation FTMFW

Ps:  it "evaporates" faster if you add a lit match.
Dont forget video.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#41]
save it, soon it will be worth more than gold
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#42]
pour it on the weeds....
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Build flamethrower?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Sorry, I don't buy that.

I don't care if you buy it or not...it happened.  The approximately 2 gallons of old gas from a plastic gas can caused severe injector problems in my 98 Ranger about five miles from adding it.  I was barely able to limp it back to my house when it happened.  My mechanic drained the gas tank and flushed the fuel system first but that didn't fix it, finally a new set of injectors fixed the problem.  

I'm sure it was gas in that can, but I have no idea how old it was.  It could have been pure varnish for all I know

Your gas sounds a lot different than OP's, and I take it your tank was about empty when you added the bad gas?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Gasoline is pretty good on ice with a splash of soda water and a lemon garnish.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Just dilute it with regular gas and use it up.  It's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pour it on your driveway, will evaporate in no time; spray area with hose when done.

This is what I do with old gas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Just burn it in the lawnmower.  One more gallon of ethanol-diluted gas isn't going to kill your mower.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Sorry, I don't buy that.

Your gas sounds a lot different than OP's, and I take it your tank was about empty when you added the bad gas?

I never said it was fresh gas...LOL  It was quite the opposite in reality.  I don't recall exactly how much has was in the truck tank when I did it, but it was probably between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank.  

I've disposed of old gas by burning it in my vehicles for my whole life up until that last one bit me in the ass.  Like I said before...never again.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top