Author
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
Posted: 4/8/2011 4:23:30 PM
Out of curiosity, when someone is backing out of a parking space in a private lot (mall etc.) and then gets hit by an oncoming car traveling down the road.

Who's fault is it? The one backing out of a parking space or the oncoming car?

I assume it's the fault of the one backing out of a parking space?
كافر
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” - George Orwell
bcauz3y
I'm a Tactical penguin
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 4:24:46 PM
[Last Edit: 4/8/2011 4:25:26 PM by bcauz3y]

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
Out of curiosity, when someone is backing out of a parking space in a private lot (mall etc.) and then gets hit by an oncoming car traveling down the road.

I assume it's the fault of the one backing out of a parking space?
correct, but there are other factors involved.

I'm not an expert in anything.

My posts are my OWN, and do not represent the collective opinion of any group, department, agency, organization, posse, gang, or any damn thing else but me.

MoS
David_ESM
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 4:25:37 PM
As usual, it will depend on the situation.

If I am backing out of a spot with no one around me and some guy comes around the corner not paying attention/talk on his phone/some other shit and runs square into me when I am almost done backing up. It sure as hell wasn't my fault.

David_ESM: "Wait. So have you ever been cock bit by a goose?"
Kolat: "Yes"

Cock biting update (8/12/10) Kolat: "Yes. More then once."
95BLuv
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 4:26:49 PM
Whatever your insurance companies agree upon
troublesome
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 4:30:17 PM
Does that apply on private property?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
"In its early stages, insomnia is almost an oasis in which those who have to think or suffer darkly take refuge."
STUBBO
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 4:32:04 PM
Pretty much the person backing out. 99% of the time.
Lootie23
A leader is a dealer in hope. ~Napoleon Bonaparte
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 4:44:52 PM
I backed into a camaro in my ford truck one night because some idiot teenager with no driver's license was driving his Mama's car without headlights on. Not my fault.
“Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. Government is force; like fire it is a dangerous servant -- and a fearful master.” —George Washington, 1797
c5hardtop
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 4:57:57 PM
We found out recently its pretty always the person backing out. Our babysitter was driving our Toyota Sienna, completely out of a parking space, was stoped while shifting from reverse to drive and someone came around the corner and ran into the van. She was issued a ticket. We lost a claims free discount on our insurance, but no insurance pts b/c she (the babysitter) was not listed on our policy. I can't figure that one out. Its a big issue to me b/c I often drive my G35 Coupe in parking lots dominated by SUVs and I always have to back out slowly and hope, I will be almost half way out going very slowing and someone will speed through the gap.
Wespe
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 5:25:17 PM
In my neck of the woods the Police don't fault anybody in a private parking lot such as a grocery store, strip mall etc. I found that out when I was backing out of a stall, was 3/4 of the way out and some guy going way too fast and not paying attention hit me. I stopped got out of my car and the guy was telling me it was all my fault because I was backing out and therefore he had the right of way. Well, just at that time, a guy pulled up in a truck and told me he witnessed the whole thing. He said the guy who hit me was going way to fast and not paying attention. That was pretty much what I thought as to what happened since I was slowly backing out and was nearly out of the stall, when out of nowhere, this guy tags me. I decided to call the cops since nobody would agree to who was at fault. When the cop showed up, he told me all can do is take a report and issue no tickests since the parking lot was private property. Basically, it was going to be up to our insurance companies to make a decision. Luckily I had the witness who gave me his name and phone number, and told me he would testify on my behalf.

I called my insurance company, as well as the guy's who hit me, and both said that I was at fault due to the fact I was backing out, but once they heard the story from the witness, they changed thier minds pretty much. In the end, I was considered 20% at fault due to the fact I was backing out, but the other guy was 80% at fault for going to fast, innatentive driving, and failing to avoid an accident. My insurance company told me that if I didn't have the witness I would have been 100% at fault, so I got really lucky.

In the end I learned that if there is no witness, some a-hole can pretty much intentionally ram a person backing out to get money from somebody elses insurance company. My agent told me that actually happens frequently these days.

After my experience, I made it a habit to park way the hell away from everybody else, and definitely not in stalls right in front of the store where people cruise too fast through the parking lot. It just isn't worth the few extra steps it saves getting from my car to the store.
Monoz
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 5:33:30 PM

It is the fault of whichever person isn't me.

"The enemy," retorted Yossarian with weighted precision, "is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on." - Catch 22
ttushooter
English Motherf*!^er?! Do you speak it??
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 5:36:04 PM
If car backing out of spot and another car driving down the aisle, Car backing 99.9% of the time is at fault, unless the backing car is completly out of the spot and the guy t-bones him. (thats the .1%)

I have handled literally thousands of Parking lot claims in the years I worked as an auto liabilty claims adjuster.
No one, repeat, no one, will conquer America, from outside or within, until its citizenry are disarmed.

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary"
-Vince Lombardi

david_g17
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 5:38:55 PM
Originally Posted By David_ESM:

If I am backing out of a spot with no one around me and some guy comes around the corner not paying attention/talk on his phone/some other shit and runs square into me when I am almost done backing up. It sure as hell wasn't my fault.

In Mississippi it is. That happened to my sister. The girl who hit my sister was speeding and had gotten her driver's license the day before. It was still ruled as the fault of my sister who was backing out.
armoredsaint
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:10:07 PM

Originally Posted By david_g17:

In Mississippi it is. That happened to my sister. The girl who hit my sister was speeding and had gotten her driver's license the day before. It was still ruled as the fault of my sister who was backing out.

isn't that bullshit, it's a loose-loose situation for the one backing out of a space.
كافر
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” - George Orwell
Dr_Octagon
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:11:21 PM
[Last Edit: 4/8/2011 6:21:33 PM by Dr_Octagon]

isn't that bullshit, it's a loose-loose situation for the one backing out of a space.

Especially when you're in a smaller sedan backing out from in between two SUVs that completely block your vision both ways. Horseshit.
armoredsaint
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:13:01 PM

Originally Posted By Dr_Octagon:

Especially when you're in a smaller sedan backing out from in between to SUVs that completely block your vision both ways. Horseshit.

i agree or a fucking minivan
كافر
rollingtrouble13
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:15:43 PM
Originally Posted By 95BLuv:
Whatever your insurance companies agree upon

This.
Holy crip! I'm a crapple!
Chaingun
Tuff shit...start chewing मन्
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:16:45 PM
[Last Edit: 4/8/2011 6:18:38 PM by Chaingun]
Probably backing out is to blame, but they could prove speeding on the other vehicle.It also depends on how far out the car is that's backing out.

How about this, if you back out and T-bone the car its your fault. If you T-bone someone backing out, its your fault.
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan 1984
Guntoter
A gun a day keeps the Dems away
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:17:27 PM
[Last Edit: 4/8/2011 6:17:41 PM by Guntoter]
Who has the right of way?

ME!!

At least that is what everyone is saying to themselves as they fly across lanes and up isles the wrong way with total abandon.
Trust me, I'm with the Government
TheNamelessOne
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:18:23 PM

Especially when you're in a smaller sedan backing out from in between to SUVs that completely block your vision both ways. Horseshit.

i agree or a fucking minivan

yeah i've done plenty of those "please Jesus let me not get hit backing out of this space."

if I'm driving i always stop for people backing out b/c i know 90% of the time they cant see.

WindKnot1-1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:57:23 PM
Seriously, this is why some people (including myself) pull through a parking space and park so that the vehicle is pointed out. Reverse causes remorse.
scatterbrains
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 7:02:51 PM
Thats why I back into spots so I can pull out instead
jmhal
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 7:21:32 PM
I would think the person backing out has the right of way as they are going to have limited visibility.

Regardless I always yield to the person backing out to avoid any possibility of being hit.
6winchester2
Texaco Sky Chief
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 7:29:38 PM
Originally Posted By Monoz:

It is the fault of whichever person isn't me.

I like this answer.

"In all my life I have only known about a dozen real killers. But I've probably met ten thousand people who will stand by and do nothing to stop them. Sometimes I wonder who is worse." - Paladin, HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL.
david_g17
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 7:35:47 PM
[Last Edit: 4/8/2011 7:36:25 PM by david_g17]

Especially when you're in a smaller sedan backing out from in between two SUVs that completely block your vision both ways. Horseshit.

My sister had a friggin' UPS truck parked next to her blocking the view.
Spiffums
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 7:56:58 PM
Just from a common sense stand point you would think the car with the best view would be the one required to stop. If your trying to back out of a spot its not like your an owl whose head turns all the way around.
I am a white male who owns guns, like women and believes in GOD ...... I'm labeled a racist hater so I just go with it.

Tan is the new Black and Israeli is the new Tactical.
AJ_Engineer
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 8:15:55 PM
Always back into spots.
fmjron
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2011 8:23:56 PM
Originally Posted By STUBBO:
Pretty much the person backing out. 99% of the time.

i would think so to.