i want all you smart science guys to give some input

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfBdPKxk35k
DamascusKnifemaker
Don't drink the Koolaid!!!!!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 6:36:48 AM
Bob Lazar is a twit.
This is Nevada, we don't care how you did it in California.
Cowards always criticize those who choose a course of action rather than letting events control their fate. - America-first
VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 6:38:06 AM
[Last Edit: 3/26/2011 6:38:28 AM by VictorUnit]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
Bob Lazar is a twit.

go buy some gas
osprey21
Known Associate
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 6:41:16 AM

Originally Posted By VictorUnit:
Bob Lazar is a twit.

go buy some gas

lol

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in
Harvster
NRA life member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 6:46:36 AM
As a child, my Mother told me that happiness was the key to life. At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment; I told them they didn't understand life.
ElectricSheep556
Anti-Social(ist)
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 7:00:28 AM
He's not even a particularly good bullshitter.
I came into this world as nothing, I ain't gonna leave that way.
Matthew_Q
Certavi et vici
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 7:08:35 AM
Didn't watch the video, but I'm assuming that he claims the vehicle will run off of hydrogen that is produced by electrolyzing water using current generated by the alternator of the car... basically ending up in a self sustaining, over-unity situation.

And that would be bullshit.
Who is John Galt?
WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:01:23 AM
[Last Edit: 3/26/2011 8:03:17 AM by WilliamGray]
Here is his site on the project.

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/
Making gears in alice texas.
AE5QH- I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous.
KBAD
Just a Big Hairy American Winning Machine
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:04:17 AM
Didn't watch the video..but I do think hydrogen is the wave of the future. All electric cars, at least now, have too many things going against them. Hydrogen seems to be the way to go.

"The Angel of Death has been abroad throughout the land; you may almost hear the beating of his wings"
"Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes" -Rex Kramer
Chairborne
2A573
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:06:49 AM

Originally Posted By KBAD:
Didn't watch the video..but I do think hydrogen is the wave of the future. All electric cars, at least now, have too many things going against them. Hydrogen seems to be the way to go.

You're going to get that hydrogen from where? And store it how? And distribute it how? Using massive amounts of electricity to crack pure H2O into hydrogen, just to burn that hydrogen to produce energy is a lossy, useless thing to do.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. -Friedrich Nietzsche
Shockergd
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:09:26 AM
Hydrogen is NOT safer than gasoline , the vessels are just way more secure.

It also takes a ton of electricity to pressurize, however I haven't seen the cost of making it recently.
Shockergd
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:14:07 AM

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Didn't watch the video, but I'm assuming that he claims the vehicle will run off of hydrogen that is produced by electrolyzing water using current generated by the alternator of the car... basically ending up in a self sustaining, over-unity situation.

No , in this case he's wanting to sell conversion kits for cars to run off hydrogen gas & home systems to generate the hydrogen.

It's a completely legit conversion, but it's $10,000 which is out of the range of most people who just don't care.
WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:16:15 AM
Originally Posted By Chairborne:

Originally Posted By KBAD:

You're going to get that hydrogen from where? And store it how? And distribute it how? Using massive amounts of electricity to crack pure H2O into hydrogen, just to burn that hydrogen to produce energy is a lossy, useless thing to do.

Lazar is running his electrolysis machine off of solar, so I am guessing it does not consume much more than an air-conditioner, or this guy has a massive array.
Chairborne
2A573
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:19:44 AM

Originally Posted By WilliamGray:

"Metal hydride tanks" my ass. You can't make usable hydrogen using electrolysis from tap water, the minerals will kill your electrodes and contaminate the gas pretty quickly. Where is he getting ultra pure water from? A typical solar setup would take about six months to generate enough hydrogen to drive you to the store and back. This guy is completely full of shit, like all the other hydrogen scammers.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. -Friedrich Nietzsche
Shockergd
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:21:46 AM

"Metal hydride tanks" my ass. You can't make usable hydrogen using electrolysis from tap water, the minerals will kill your electrodes and contaminate the gas pretty quickly. Where is he getting ultra pure water from? A typical solar setup would take about six months to generate enough hydrogen to drive you to the store and back. This guy is completely full of shit, like all the other hydrogen scammers.

Tap water kills platinum electrodes?
Charging_Handle
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:23:17 AM
Bob Lazar. I've heard that name somewhere before. Is this the same guy who claimed to be an MIT grad employed by Area 51 working on back engineering alien spacecraft?
WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:23:54 AM
Bob Lazar is a twit.

Anyone that will sell me nitric acid is OK in my book

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_17_69&products_id=171

Of course If I really needed it, I could make it using stuff from my garden and a few old batteries..........
WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:25:25 AM
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

Tap water kills platinum electrodes?

Tap water is fine.
Pure water will not conduct electricity............
VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:25:45 AM
[Last Edit: 3/26/2011 8:29:01 AM by VictorUnit]

in the video he points out that the electrodes are platinum

he says he gets 400 miles on 8 hours of hydrogen pressured into his vehicles tanks

he demonstrates electrolysis then burns some hydrogen directly from the tube.

seems to me it is just a matter of scale.........?

the link is in the original post

Chairborne
2A573
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:27:13 AM

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Bob Lazar. I've heard that name somewhere before. Is this the same guy who claimed to be an MIT grad employed by Area 51 working on back engineering alien spacecraft?

That's the guy, very trustworthy fellow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar
WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:31:30 AM

Same guy.
C-4
No Fate But What We Make
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:04:00 AM
[Last Edit: 3/26/2011 9:05:26 AM by C-4]

he says he gets 400 miles on 8 hours of hydrogen pressured into his vehicles tanks

A better treatment of this topic is Michael Strizki's Solar-Hydrogen Home.

Summary: He uses solar power to run his house. Any excess electricity is used to split water and he stores the excess hydrogen in propane tanks. When the solar power drops to where he doesn't have enough electricity, he uses the stored hydrogen through a hydrogen fuel cell to convert hydrogen into water + electricity. IIRC, there is another longer video. He had much of the equipment donated to him by companies.

As far as the Bob Lazar video, I'd be interested in why he thinks Lithium Deuteride needs to be used in his car??? Lithium Hydride would suffice, but I'm puzzled about the heating of Lithium Hydride producing hydrogen. Lithium Hydride (or Deuteride) doesn't begin to give off hydrogen until it is heated to > 700C (1292F). Is he really expecting us to believe that he is heating those cylinders to that temperature?

Also, 1/6000 'hydrogen' atoms in water is Deuterium. It is not radioactive. It is isolated from water using fractional distillation. IIRC, Canada is the largest producer and it's about $1 per milliliter. To produce Lithium Deuteride, you heat lithium metal in a stream of Deuterium gas. No 'accelerators' involved.

I was thinking of going Solar-Hydrogen in my dream concrete form house that I want to build so I read a few books on the topic. I also have a degree in chemistry and while I don't know a lot, I know enough that I can smell bullshit a mile away.
Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War. --Plato
WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:06:48 AM
Not too sure about Bob's accelerator. Looks an awful lot like a Van de Graaff generator.
Shockergd
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:10:13 AM

Originally Posted By C-4:

Summary: He uses solar power to run his house. Any excess electricity is used to split water and he stores the excess hydrogen in propane tanks. When the solar power drops to where he doesn't have enough electricity, he uses the stored hydrogen through a hydrogen fuel cell to convert hydrogen into water + electricity. IIRC, there is another longer video. He had much of the equipment donated to him by companies.

As far as the Bob Lazar video, I'd be interested in why he thinks Lithium Deuteride needs to be used in his car??? Lithium Hydride would suffice, but I'm puzzled about the heating of Lithium Hydride producing hydrogen. Lithium Hydride (or Deuteride) doesn't begin to give off hydrogen until it is heated to > 700C (1292F). Is he really expecting us to believe that he is heating those cylinders to that temperature?

Also, 1/6000 'hydrogen' atoms in water is Deuterium. It is not radioactive. It is isolated from water using fractional distillation. IIRC, Canada is the largest producer and it's about $1 per milliliter. To produce Lithium Deuteride, you heat lithium metal in a stream of Deuterium gas. No 'accelerators' involved.

I was thinking of going Solar-Hydrogen in my dream concrete form house that I want to build so I read a few books on the topic. I also have a degree in chemistry and while I don't know a lot, I know enough that I can smell bullshit a mile away.

I don't understand why he was wanting to use a hydrate either, even more so considering that either liquid or compressed hydrogen works just fine (although is less safe).
Bullitt3401
Fires & Forgets
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:10:48 AM

Why isn't he building flying cars??

-Scott
Psalm 109:8
caberfeidh
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:11:41 AM

Lazar lies about his academic credentials. That's pretty much all you need to know.

On top of his falsified credentials, he crafts wild b.s. tales about reverse engineering alien spacecraft from zeta reticulon or some crap like that. I see the market is down with space alien bullshit, so he's now branching out in to "free" energy. LOL.

At least he hasn't gone bigfoot or ghost hunter.

WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:19:13 AM
Originally Posted By caberfeidh:

Lazar lies about his academic credentials. That's pretty much all you need to know.

On top of his falsified credentials, he crafts wild b.s. tales about reverse engineering alien spacecraft from zeta reticulon or some crap like that. I see the market is down with space alien bullshit, so he's now branching out in to "free" energy. LOL.

At least he hasn't gone bigfoot or ghost hunter.

The guy has owned unitednuclear.com for quite some time. That video looks pretty old.
BatchelorGroda
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:38:57 AM
[Last Edit: 3/26/2011 9:44:04 AM by BatchelorGroda]
Bob Lazar.

If ANYONE could actually make a car run on water, it would be him.

Totally serious. This guy is NOT stupid.

BTW...That Corvette was not running on water. He had some sort of hydride in the tanks...not straight water.

LOL...Lithium 6- Deuteride....homemade variety.
WilliamGray
Manual Lathe Magician
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:44:04 AM
[Last Edit: 3/26/2011 9:50:32 AM by WilliamGray]
Originally Posted By BatchelorGroda:
Bob Lazar.

BTW...That Corvette was not running on water. He had some sort of hydride in the tanks...not straight water.

He does build some neat toys.

jet turbine bike
Hot dog death ray.
Glass death ray

Waking fish up with Sodium.

His store give me a stiffy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckI_ZbJhJU8
hazmat
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:48:43 AM
How come no one ever promotes natural gas vehicles. Its already being done with some commercial fleets? I think, unlike propane, it is lighter that air and would drift away if there was a leak. You still have to get fueling stations more common. I think I saw at one time a company sold a small home compressor for a couple of grand. And we have our own domestic supply of natural gas. Isn't it mostly methane anyway? Biogas generators? The thought entered my mind thinking about the difficulties of hydrogen storage.
Change is not a destination.
Hope is not a strategy.
(Unless you're out of ammunition.)
RI0T
Steady Foing Broke
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:49:02 AM

Bob Lazar.

LOL...Lithium 6- Deuteride....homemade variety.

the flashing red light on his "accelerator" took his seriousness up quite a few notches...

he was formal, but there to party.

The tyrant is often a weak little man. He has no special qualities that set him apart from anyone else - yet the gullible idolize him. Etienne de la Boetie, circa 1550
VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:49:34 AM
Bob Lazar.

AND as you know , my new friend Bob has "Death Ray Parts" for sale ; deftly described as
"Thrilling, Exciting, Unusual"

along with the rocket kit and the black powder mill , this man has demonstrated intrepid resourcefulness and is truly "giving back" to the community.

I say he ought to be named an honorary AR15.com member - in good standing!
VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 9:53:04 AM
[Last Edit: 3/26/2011 10:03:53 AM by VictorUnit]
Bob Lazar.

He does build some neat toys.

jet turbine bike
Hot dog death ray.
Glass death ray

Waking fish up with Sodium.

His store give me a stiffy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckI_ZbJhJU8

GIVE THIS MAN RESPECT!

–– All this time I was spending good money on XM193 - when i coulda had a death ray!

Deros
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 10:01:06 AM

Science doesn't matter when you have govt subsidy's on your side.
HKPDW
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 10:04:30 AM
Was wondering what this guy has been doing for the past 15 years.

With battery tech advancing by leaps and bounds, hydrogen solutions are nothing more than a waste of time & money.

In 15 years, the additional battery cost to a vehicle's powertrain will be negligible. Most small and medium sized cars will be BEVs or EREVs...

Noticed the fuel cell rage has disappeard over the last year (like E-85) ?
DamascusKnifemaker
Don't drink the Koolaid!!!!!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 10:06:11 AM
Bob Lazar is a twit.

go buy some gas

Why did you edit your original post? Probably because it wasn't funny either.
This is Nevada, we don't care how you did it in California.
Cowards always criticize those who choose a course of action rather than letting events control their fate. - America-first
bcw107
RIP SSG Juan M Solorio
InstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 10:07:30 AM
So many things make sense now.
Charter AR7 FS: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=778627
bafordman
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 10:16:02 AM
Somewhere it says it takes 3-4 days of solar to produce enough H for 450 miles of fuel.

If the wind or solar power were converted to electric and stored in batteries, which would be more efficient? I can't find a price or specs anywhere for the solar powered hydrogen generator.

"If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of it's experienced patriots to prevent it's ruin". Samuel Adams
Troubl3shooter
Loyal Oppositionist
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 10:28:29 AM

Originally Posted By HKPDW:

Was wondering what this guy has been doing for the past 15 years.

With battery tech advancing by leaps and bounds, hydrogen solutions are nothing more than a waste of time & money.

In 15 years, the additional battery cost to a vehicle's powertrain will be negligible. Most small and medium sized cars will be BEVs or EREVs...

Noticed the fuel cell rage has disappeard over the last year (like E-85) ?

Batteries are great, electric cars are great.

China controlling 95% of the market share on the materials and production of them, not so much.
"It is illegal to own human beings in the USA - that includes owning yourself."- Dave_A
"I couldn't find: "STFU Johnny" in the poll choices"
"The site needs contrarians, not malignant paranoiacs."- Giltweasel
VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 10:47:50 AM
Originally Posted By bcw107:
So many things make sense now.

Dont thank me , it's my job

Madcap72
Terms of EnRampagement.
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 2:49:29 PM
Small efficient electric cars powered by Nuclear plants would be even more efficient.

Trading out all the cars on the road built between 1975 and 1995 for modern small turbo diesel powered cars would be more efficient.

Swaying public opinion to use public transportation more often would be more efficient.

Hydrogen sucks, and is a non-starter. There's so many other underlying issues to resolve that would be faster, cheaper, and have more of an impact.
The bomb lives only as it's falling
C-4
No Fate But What We Make
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:11:31 PM
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

Originally Posted By C-4:

I don't understand why he was wanting to use a hydrate either, even more so considering that either liquid or compressed hydrogen works just fine (although is less safe).

Oh, ok, so he was using clathrate hydrates to store hydrogen gas in those cylinders. Those don't use any 'accelerators' to produce so it's starting to sound like even more bullshit on his part. I don't know enough about hydrogen clathrate hydrates to know at what temperature and pressure they start to release hydrogen gas.
Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War. --Plato
ElectricSheep556
Anti-Social(ist)
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:14:52 PM

Originally Posted By hazmat:
How come no one ever promotes natural gas vehicles. Its already being done with some commercial fleets? I think, unlike propane, it is lighter that air and would drift away if there was a leak. You still have to get fueling stations more common. I think I saw at one time a company sold a small home compressor for a couple of grand. And we have our own domestic supply of natural gas. Isn't it mostly methane anyway? Biogas generators? The thought entered my mind thinking about the difficulties of hydrogen storage.

An acquaintance of mine is a specialist in alternative fuel vehicles and works for a local utilities company. Some time ago, they switched many of their vehicles to natural gas for the major tax break. They've gotten rid of nearly all of them due to the forty-something mile range...
I came into this world as nothing, I ain't gonna leave that way.
Keith_J
Veteran of Reagan Era
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:26:25 PM
Hydrogen is a poor fuel for reciprocating engines because it has very poor anti-knock index. It has a large flammable limit and can only be used at the lowest percentage of flammable limit, meaning engines have very low power output. If you could compress it to 25,000 PSI, it might work for diesels but good luck there.

For turbine engines, it would work well because of the wide flammability limit and high heat.
GD: Too much Chicken Little, not enough Gene Kranz.
Mech2007
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:30:30 PM

Fraud Is A Felony.

markl32: Sometimes I think we need more running from sabre tooth tigers to put life in perspective.

Keith_J
Veteran of Reagan Era
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:34:34 PM

Originally Posted By Mech2007:

Fraud Is A Felony.

Transvestites are felons?

GD: Too much Chicken Little, not enough Gene Kranz.
PatriotAr15
Destroy that which is evil... so Good can flourish
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:35:27 PM

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:

Im not sure... he did say it would only give you 400 miles of range. I think he means you have to electrolyze the water, when you get to a parking space with an electrical socket and some water.. Some onboard system, extracts the Hydrogen from the water... and stores it in the tank... and blam.

It wouldn't be self-sustaining at all. Essentially it would be an electric car, except the electrical power is "converted" into a chemical stored power (for lack of a better way of describing it)
"Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your houses." - Nehemiah 4:14
Troubl3shooter
Loyal Oppositionist
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:35:41 PM

Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

Fraud Is A Felony.

Transvestites are felons?

Phallacious even.
"It is illegal to own human beings in the USA - that includes owning yourself."- Dave_A
"I couldn't find: "STFU Johnny" in the poll choices"
"The site needs contrarians, not malignant paranoiacs."- Giltweasel
VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:36:46 PM
thanks for all the science people chiming in ,
I have just placed my order for some N45 magnets from UnitedNuclear.com .

when you see my UFO just remember it is only swamp gas.........
ziarifleman
Hammer Mechanic
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:42:18 PM

Bob Lazar is a twit.

Yes. Very much.

He owns a missile silo near where I grew up.
"I have seen everything during my lifetime of futility; there is a righteous man who perishes in his righteousness and there is a wicked man who prolongs his life in his wickedness."

VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2011 8:44:24 PM
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Bob Lazar is a twit.

Yes. Very much.

He owns a missile silo near where I grew up.

who wouldnt want a missile silo?

WTF is it with the hate ???

missile silos / death rays ––these are the things WE LIKE
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2