Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2011 9:35:07 AM EDT
I took an exam back on the 3/10.

Last week was Spring Break, so there were no classes at all last week.

The grades for that exam have STILL not been posted.

I find this to be unacceptable. If I don't have my homework on the professors desk by the time class starts then I get a 0 for the assignment, yet he can't grade a simple test.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
so if the prof took his vacation at the same time you did, he's had about 2 days to grade.  did he tell you they would be posted by a certain day?

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
his TA hasn't been in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
How big is your class?
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Their primary job is research and bringing grants into the university. Teaching is a side job.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Let him know that you find his grading policy to be unacceptable, and report back.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Tenure
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Let him know that you find his grading policy to be unacceptable, and report back.

I'll send him an e-mail after the semester is over. For now I'll just stick with anonymous complaining on the internet.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tenure

100% this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tenure

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Tenure

Winner! Once you get tenure, its no loner about the students. Its about getting your work published, doing research and never having to worry about being fired for substandard teaching. Doing right by students is just the means by which one becomes tenured. After tenure, you are discarded like yesterday's trash...

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a teacher that has shown up 6 times since the start of January.

He decided to make one of the tests online on webct, because he was too lazy to show up to class that day.

Still hasn't marked stuff we handed in in february.

While in class, he complains about the college not making him a full time teacher, so he can get union benefits and insurance
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#12]
You think professors grade their students' work?

no.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Their primary job is research and bringing grants into the university. Teaching is a side job.

This (if you attend a major university)....

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Must be Dutch.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It's like having a part-time job as a zoo-keeper.  I'll shovel the shit out of the monkey cage when I feel like it, not when the monkeys want it.
Seriously, what motown_steve describes IS annoying.  When I teach, I always have assignments (whether exams, written assignments, team projects, whatever) graded and back to the students by the next class.  

That said, it is worth remembering that if someone is teaching a large class, it will probably take quite a bit longer to grade 60 papers than it took any one student to write one of them - so sometimes I guess there can be a logistical issue that might slow down the grading.  It doesn't HAVE to be because someone is "lazy"

There are only 16 students in this section, and it is the only section that was offered this semester.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
It's like having a part-time job as a zoo-keeper.  I'll shovel the shit out of the monkey cage when I feel like it, not when the monkeys want it.
Seriously, what motown_steve describes IS annoying.  When I teach, I always have assignments (whether exams, written assignments, team projects, whatever) graded and back to the students by the next class.  
That said, it is worth remembering that if someone is teaching a large class, it will probably take quite a bit longer to grade 60 papers than it took any one student to write one of them - so sometimes I guess there can be a logistical issue that might slow down the grading.  It doesn't HAVE to be because someone is "lazy"

I had a Dutch professor for one of my favorite classes (elective about Buddhism). Every one of your posts gets read in my head via his voice. He had the slightest accent, but his inflection made things really funny.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

A Professor grade 60 papers? Isn't that a job for the slave graduate assistant?
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tenure

This.. +100
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I had a Dutch professor for one of my favorite classes (elective about Buddhism). Every one of your posts gets read in my head via his voice. He had the slightest accent, but his inflection made things really funny.

I used to read all of the Prof's post in the voice of the Swedish Chef from the Muppet Show. Then I met him and he ruined it for me. No accent.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I find this to be unacceptable. If I don't have my homework on the professors desk by the time class starts then I get a 0 for the assignment, yet he can't grade a simple test.

Why would the prof work on spring break?  That's his vacation time away from whiney college students like yourself.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#25]

When my professors are delayed in grading things it is because they are busy doing research or are overwhelmed with their 5 different classes they're teaching.

They're human, they get overwhelmed just like the rest of us. Knowing your grade the next day or the next month won't change the results and shouldn't impact how much you study.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#26]
What type of school is it?  Research I, such as UofT - Austin?  A regional "teaching" university?  A community college?

Is the instructor an old guy (tenured) or a young guy (who is out looking for another job)?

Is the instructor an American or an "international faculty" member?

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Tenure

Winner! Once you get tenure, its no loner about the students. Its about getting your work published, doing research and never having to worry about being fired for substandard teaching. Doing right by students is just the means by which one becomes tenured. After tenure, you are discarded like yesterday's trash...

Actually, it's usually kind of the other way around.

Since tenure is traditionally awarded based on research productivity, it is usually BEFORE tenure that junior faculty do not feel that they can afford to spend the time to be better instructors.  At research-1 universities, if you have not published enough by the time of your tenure review, NO amount of outstanding teaching or teaching awards is going to help you get tenure.  On the other hand, if you have published a lot in top journals, nobody is going to give a shit about your teaching ratings - it is very RARE at research universities to see someone be denied tenure because of shitty teaching.

Once faculty have tenure, then the incredibly pressure to publish their research suddenly disappears, and they can afford to spend more time on teaching and to meet with students, and develop/update their classes, etc.  

Not trying to disagree with you (a Prof), but my g/f, an English literature professor and sitting next to me as I type, says its just the opposite where she teaches (SUNY system).. They are more concerned about a Prof's teaching credentials, student grade averages, the Prof's individual pursuit of advanced courses and degrees in their chosen field, etc. rather than research/publishing. Once tenured, however, they couldn't care less anymore (that oes for both the University and the tenured Professor)...

Just reiterating what she's saying as I don't know jack about Professors aside from the fact that the tenured ones were always a PITA when I went to College...

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I guess the question I have for DK-Prof is, "What kind of student is motown_steve in class?"
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll send him an e-mail after the semester is over. For now I'll just stick with anonymous complaining on the internet.

You don't like my grading policy do you?

Tracing IP now...

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#30]
It is a lot like much of life. Some are very conscientious and get the grades done quickly and fairly, others not so much.

However, expecting them to work over spring break while you do not, is a bit un-realistic. If it happens all the time, then complain when you evaluate him at the end of the semester.

I always grade quickly, as nothing is more annoying that not knowing how you are doing in a class (well, that is not true––TRULY, grading is worse than almost everything else in life, almost).

Of course, I am in a non-tenure track line and am more concerned with teaching than research.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

+what the guy said about taking vacation

+if your class is large it can take awhile
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
his TA hasn't been in.

LOL!

the truth though, i hated waiting on grades...
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#34]
This thread reminds me of what my kids will never have.

I am soooooo glad I went to a small private school back when such an education was affordable.

Played racquetball wi;h my professors, ate at their houses, went drinking with them, sat in their office with other classmates to discuss/debate current issues, religion, politics, etc.

Not a single TA.

Truly a  remarkable experience.

Heck after my freshman year, I am pretty sure all my 'teachers' were PhDs.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

How hard is it to stuff a bunch of test sheets into a Scantron?
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

Scantron?

Well, if is was scantron, I would say two things:

1) Your Professor is worthless for not having it graded

2) Don't worry about it until you take a real class

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This thread reminds me of what my kids will never have.

I am soooooo glad I went to a small private school back when such an education was affordable.

Played racquetball wi;h my professors, ate at their houses, went drinking with them, sat in their office with other classmates to discuss/debate current issues, religion, politics, etc.

Not a single TA.

Truly a  remarkable experience.

Heck after my freshman year, I am pretty sure all my 'teachers' were PhDs.

Thats what my experience was like as well

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

Scantron?

Huh?
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

Scantron?

No shit. Only a few of my Uni classes had fucking scantrons, the rest were pure agony.

I feel for the men and women that have to read the drivel that is handed them for a grade.

"In your own words, describe the effect Sir Thomas More's Utopia had on the
formation of the enlightenment period and the eventual seeds of modern
society as we know it."

A: I CAN HAZ TEH A+ GRADEZ!?!?! MAH DAWGZ GOTZ TA HOLLAZ ON THA HOEZ!!! WUT IZ YOU RASISTZ?!?! FUKKIN H8TER!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Tenure

Actually, it's usually kind of the other way around.

Since tenure is traditionally awarded based on research productivity, it is usually BEFORE tenure that junior faculty do not feel that they can afford to spend the time to be better instructors.  At research-1 universities, if you have not published enough by the time of your tenure review, NO amount of outstanding teaching or teaching awards is going to help you get tenure.  On the other hand, if you have published a lot in top journals, nobody is going to give a shit about your teaching ratings - it is very RARE at research universities to see someone be denied tenure because of shitty teaching.

Once faculty have tenure, then the incredibly pressure to publish their research suddenly disappears, and they can afford to spend more time on teaching and to meet with students, and develop/update their classes, etc.  

There is a lot of this, if you are well-funded and productive to your chair's content.
OTOH, I know of places where teaching assignments are handed out as punishment for not "carrying your weight", or bringing in enough grant money to the dept. cover a significant portion of your salary.  Covering the teaching load is seen as a way to "pay your way".  That just puts additional pressure on faculty who are already worried about their jobs, and as said above, no amount of student input (good or bad) in going to influence that determination.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You think professors grade their students' work?

no.

I do.

At my old university, when I taught larger classes, I used to have a bunch of TA's to do my grading for me - but with the number of students I teach now it's far more manageable, so I just do the grading myself.  

Lots of faculty do.

Knock off the actual fact reporting, ok?

It's about tenure.  Can't you read?

There are people in this thread that are not teachers, who have never taught, and who are not even college grads telling you that it is tenure.

Accept it as fact and stop the nonsensical fact-based clarifications.

Damn it man.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I guess the question I have for DK-Prof is, "What kind of student is motown_steve in class?"

If he was in my class, he would be above average.  Most don't even check their grades all semester.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Call on him during his office hours and straighten his ass right out.

College professors love to be instructed by self-important students who have never done a frigging thing in their whole life but go to school.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No shit. Only a few of my Uni classes had fucking scantrons, the rest were pure agony.

I feel for the men and women that have to read the drivel that is handed them for a grade.

Most of my classes have had scantron tests.

Funnily enough, organic chem/bacterial pathogenesis/genetic analysis are still difficult when you have 4-8 answer choices instead of a blank to fill in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#47]
because most of them are liberal bubble people.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call on him during his office hours and straighten his ass right out.

I don't have office hours.

A lot of undergraduates are unattractive, and look like they might smell - so I don't want them in my office.
Yuuuuk. Then the odor sticks to the chair and it stinks even after they're gone

Just bring the pretty girls to your residence for counseling

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

TENURE    

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top