Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/11/2011 9:26:56 PM EDT
I had a little down time today and decided to get out the camera. I know we have a few oilfield guys here, but many of you may not have gotten a chance to see some of this stuff. Today we were tripping pipe to replace the bit and I figured it would make for some interesting pictures.

This is a tiny little rig, we're drilling a gas well to around 7500', not that crazy but a lot of the basics are the same across rigs whether they're looking for oil, or gas.

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That sir, is fucking cool!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the last rig I was on...a little bigger:

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]

are you out of your fracking mind?!?!

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool.  I love posts like this.  Can you add some descriptions to the pictures, so we know what's going on?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cool.  I love posts like this.  Can you add some descriptions to the pictures, so we know what's going on?

I could, but my understanding of rig operations is not nearly as good as someone who actually does that work.

If nobody who actually works that side of things has explained it by tomorrow I'll do my best to tell you what I can about it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Holy shit dude, no offense but that rig looks like a total piece of shit death trap.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Very interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Holy shit dude, no offense but that rig looks like a total piece of shit death trap.  

I had the same reaction when I got here.

I've never been on one this small. The guys running it are damn good at what they do, though. I wonder what they could do with a rig that was a little more modern.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

[/quote]

Kinda thought the same thing! Hows that one dude get up to the top? And maybe I can't see it, but is he harnessed in? Holy f'kn OSHA

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a couple I took over the past few weeks.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Kinda thought the same thing! Hows that one dude get up to the top? And maybe I can't see it, but is he harnessed in? Holy f'kn OSHA

Most rigs have a ladder going up, with a safety wire you can clip on to. I don't see a ladder here in the pics, though. I'll take a walk around the rig when the sun comes back up and see if I can find it.

Yeah, he's wearing some fall gear, hard to see in the picture but it is there.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes, he is harnessed in.

There's a ladder that runs the length of the "derrick" (the big metal part sticking up) that he climbs up to get up to the "monkey board", the part he's standing on.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never been on one this small. The guys running it are damn good at what they do, though. I wonder what they could do with a rig that was a little more modern.

It's a decent sized rig, it just looks as old as dirt.

Doubles are pretty standard fare.  There really aren't too many wells that you couldn't drill with a rig that size.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice pictures.

I do land surveying for oil and gas in east Texas and west Louisiana. It's always cool seeing the rigs going.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubles are pretty standard fare.  There really aren't too many wells that you couldn't drill with a rig that size.

I haven't been on one this size that I can remember, at least not in recent years. I've worked primarily triples and majority of those have been top drive equipped.

Don't see too many kelly rigs anymore
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]
i used to work on one that size hillin drilling in tx. pile of shit rig.also worked for sharp drilling electric rig we went to 23000 ft. on that rig.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Does a degree in geology help in this field?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

depending on what you want to do, yes.

oil companies love geologists.

they are the ones that figure out where the oil and gas are located.

also, some service companies like mudlogging companies like geologists, but the pay will undoubtedly be better with an oil/gas company.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

depending on what you want to do, yes.

oil companies love geologists.

they are the ones that figure out where the oil and gas are located.

also, some service companies like mudlogging companies like geologists, but the pay will undoubtedly be better with an oil/gas company.

I'm in my first year of a geology degree and have heard some secondhand stories of fresh graduates making some serious cash. Thanks for the insight
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Pioneer 42 near Flaxton, ND. This was taken about a week ago. We are about to finish the 12,000' lateral and I will get home for a couple weeks.

H&P 298 south of Vernal, Utah back in the summer. I sure miss the warm summer days
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't been on one this size that I can remember, at least not in recent years. I've worked primarily triples and majority of those have been top drive equipped.

Don't see too many kelly rigs anymore

To explain, double and triple refer to the number of joints they can handle and depends on height.  Older kelly systems use a square or hex section of pipe, driven by a rotating table that engages the square or hex "kelly".  Because of this, the entire string has to "trip out" to the top joint, then slips are inserted to catch the joint, the kelly is unscrewed, then the new joint screwed in, the string pulled and the slips removed.  Top drive just unscrew the top joint, pick up a new section and screw it back together. No slips, no tripping.  Less time for the string to get stuck from cuttings settling in the annulus.

But with EVERY tom, dick and harry punching holes, all the good gear is tied up.  Old death traps are being overhauled and put into service.  And kelly rigs are more reliable.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Men & boys, still playing in mud.

BTW: I am interested in seeing what a real blowout preventer looks like. Ever since BP's blow-out the news media just show drawings of one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

BTW: I am interested in seeing what a real blowout preventer looks like. Ever since BP's blow-out the news media just show drawings of one.

Plenty pictures on the net.  They are modular and usually implemented in a stack with annular on top, blind and shear ram types below.

Annulars are a "blob" with the ram type look like a gate valve...because they are, sort of.

Subsea BOPs have a shit ton more supporting equipment with them and are covered with the stuff.  This is a good land based example, annular at top, with 2 blind below and a shear at the bottom.  Choke and kill ports between, blanked off with rusty blind flanges.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Plenty pictures on the net.  They are modular and usually implemented in a stack with annular on top, blind and shear ram types below.

Annulars are a "blob" with the ram type look like a gate valve...because they are, sort of.

And they hardly prevent blowouts. They more or less at best redirect the energy to a more controlled release.

At worst..they fail and the side flies off.

Definitely don't want to be on another rig where that happens. Some of you might remember my thread here about that from a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they hardly prevent blowouts. They more or less at best redirect the energy to a more controlled release.

At worst..they fail and the side flies off.

Definitely don't want to be on another rig where that happens. Some of you might remember my thread here about that from a few years back.

They DO work if you can catch the kick before you lose control.  But trying to stop 8,000 PSI of mud, sand and gas once the kick has progressed?  Yes, nearly impossible since that stuff tends to erode the sealing surfaces fast. But a good crew can spot the potential kick.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like a nice day for trippin pipe.

Doesnt look like a death trap to me.

Looks like some people have been sittin though a few to many baker hughes hse meetings
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks safe as hell, I grew up working on dad's old cable tool for water wells.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:59:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks safe as hell, I grew up working on dad's old cable tool for water wells.

I read about some of those the other day.

Not my idea of fun. I don't think I'd enjoy working on any rig. That's some hard living right there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey zack3g, that little rig is cute. Does your doghouse have a rack to hang your purses too?  

I usually work with rigs a bit larger...

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

H&P 298 south of Vernal, Utah back in the summer. I sure miss the warm summer days

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/HP298_VernalUtah.jpg

S. Ouray?

Ever work in Piceance?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Cool pics.  Do you go off shore too?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have good pictures of a large frac job?  I should have taken some of a CHK well I saw in TX.  About 30 tanks header'd up in a row on one side of the yard looked pretty cool.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Zack,

What does the 1st 'thing' look like that enters the ground that all the others hook up to?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Wish I had 3 or 4 of those drilling in my section of land up here.......

I have 2 just outside of my section.......
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Y'all can have all of those that you want. I learned quick that it never rains on rig, never. After 5 years at a Cat dealer working on junkie ass rigs I jumped in to gas compression and haven't had a second thought.

ETA:spelling
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:41:59 AM EDT
[#40]
The Rig does looks like a death trap compared to modern, large service company rigs.

That said, this is why the smaller operators in TX are getting so much more work than the large OFS companies.

They can move quicker, are less bound by HSE overheads and thus can get more done quicker.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:42:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I have some...  will post later.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Anyone have good pictures of a large frac job? I should have taken some of a CHK well I saw in TX. About 30 tanks header'd up in a row on one side of the yard looked pretty cool.

30 frac tanks aint a big frac. Those days are gone though around here. Theres maybe a dozen on the pad and a crew a half mile away pumps water in from a huge pond on the lease or a neighboring lease. Less suck trucks, less tanks more room for the pumps and sand cans.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#43]
dumb question, but in your top pics, the crane block says 125 tons. is that the capacity of the crane? or how much that damn block weighs?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#44]
I love oil. Great pics!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#45]
DERRICK HANDS RULE!!

Back in the day, before law school, I could throw a chain better than anybody! Then I got "promoted" to Derrick hand. Much better job, cooler, cleaner, if you don't mind the height.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm in the rental business for the oilfield in Texas.  Here is a forklift that we were called to "repair"  on one of these locations.  lol

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks like $$$$ to me. You could get fired for taking a pictures where I worked( 34 years.)
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:07:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone have good pictures of a large frac job? I should have taken some of a CHK well I saw in TX. About 30 tanks header'd up in a row on one side of the yard looked pretty cool.

30 frac tanks aint a big frac. Those days are gone though around here. Theres maybe a dozen on the pad and a crew a half mile away pumps water in from a huge pond on the lease or a neighboring lease. Less suck trucks, less tanks more room for the pumps and sand cans.

Got any pics?  I have a feeling most here don't know what frac'ing is, or how it works.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/HP298_VernalUtah.jpg

S. Ouray?  

Ever work in Piceance?

We were South of Ouray in that field about 25 miles South of Ouray.

I have drilled a ton in the Piceance basin. ALl on top of the mountain and hated it since we didnt get per diem due to the catered camnps
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:32:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Got any pics?  I have a feeling most here don't know what frac'ing is, or how it works.

I have a picture of a 10 stage frac that we where a part of. I think its on my comp at work

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top