BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I laugh at people that have a hammer and a screwdriver! Everyone knows hammer is way better than a screwdriver! Why would you ever want the other? But then how could you tighten or loosen a screw?

Damn... if only we could have different tools for different jobs.

So you mean like shooting 5.56 to just wound and shooting .308 when you want to blow apart or reach out?

You can't argue with physics.  Yet some folks just keep trying.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]

MIL ROUNDS THREAD.

Take your pick, gentlemen:

Out of these the only one that I have fired is 5.56x45mm out of L85/L86 weapons. Only at targets though.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have both, I let the kids play with the 5.56,  the 7.62 is for the grown ups..

It takes some one with a six figure salary to feed the properly...

Not really, a case of XM193 is $300, 1K of surplus .308 is $389, so $90 more per 1Krds isn't that bad IMO. Hell if you don't want to pay that much for .308 I hope that you don't own a .45 because it's almost as much!

Point.  Amazing how we can remember the price of the rifle but all of the little toys we hang on them we bitch about the cost per round.

This.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
6.8 SPC!

Oh GTFO!
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
GET BOTH.

What the fuck ARFCOM. Fucking FAIL.

Yep.  Got ARs in both 5.56x45 and 7.62x51.

Have the .308 AR.   Next one I was thinking about was a 6.8.  More punch in the smaller package.  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In general when I interview someone with trigger time in combat the more people they've shot the more they like 5.56mm.

In general.

My boss, an Army MP with a Maryland Army National Guard unit who has been deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan (among other places), has told me about enemy combatants he has shot with a M4A1 loaded with M855 Ball.  

He likes the high accuracy and low recoil of the weapon/ammunition combination... he did not like shooting the enemy 4 times in the torso and watching them drop like a sack of potatoes only to see them months later, alive and well in a POW camp...

He told me about a situation in Afghanistan where he and another soldier both shot an enemy combatant in the head (specifically, the center of the forehead) at the same time with their M4's, which incapacitated him.  The enemy combatant lived, but received permanent brain damage and is in a permanent vegetative state.

Secondhand, ancedotal stories, I know.  

My somewhat limited understanding on the matter is that being shot with anything can seriously mess your life up...  It's just that some projectiles might mess you up worse than others.

Your POG ass boss is full of shit.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The gunstore guy told me they are the same.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Both would be the correct answer.

The ARFCOM way:

7.62x51

5.56x45

7.62x51

5.56x45

They each have brothers in various other configurations.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#9]
This............I like them both, and added 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 for some exotic flavor as well

Quoted:
GET BOTH.

What the fuck ARFCOM. Fucking FAIL.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
A caliber debate? SNORE

edit: Cool license place though LarryG!
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In general when I interview someone with trigger time in combat the more people they've shot the more they like 5.56mm.

In general.

My boss, an Army MP with a Maryland Army National Guard unit who has been deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan (among other places), has told me about enemy combatants he has shot with a M4A1 loaded with M855 Ball.  

He likes the high accuracy and low recoil of the weapon/ammunition combination... he did not like shooting the enemy 4 times in the torso and watching them drop like a sack of potatoes only to see them months later, alive and well in a POW camp...

He told me about a situation in Afghanistan where he and another soldier both shot an enemy combatant in the head (specifically, the center of the forehead) at the same time with their M4's, which incapacitated him.  The enemy combatant lived, but received permanent brain damage and is in a permanent vegetative state.

My somewhat limited understanding on the matter is that being shot with anything can seriously mess your life up...  It's just that some projectiles might mess you up worse than others.

It sounds like in both "stories" the round acted perfectly. I'd say down tangos is a win for all regardless of where they end up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In general.

He told me about a situation in Afghanistan where he and another soldier both shot an enemy combatant in the head (specifically, the center of the forehead) at the same time with their M4's, which incapacitated him. The enemy combatant lived, but received permanent brain damage and is in a permanent vegetative state.

My somewhat limited understanding on the matter is that being shot with anything can seriously mess your life up... It's just that some projectiles might mess you up worse than others.

Your POG ass boss is full of shit.

Sorry, that story is full of fail.  No chance the .223 round did not penetrate the skull.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy fuck, dost mine eyes deceiveth me? A 5.56 versus .308 thread.

Mother. Fucking. In.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My .50 Beowulf pisses on your lil' .308 for breakfast.

You .50 Beowolf is eating dirt at 1K while my .308 still has some life left in its legs!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top